Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
petbren
DIS Veteran

Canadians and Travel Insurance

Pay in full date coming up.
A bit overwhelmed about getting travel insurance.
We have health coverage through DH's work, but looking for cancellation,interruption, etc. insurance. We are CAA members.
Any fellow Canadians with suggestions?
AKV-KIDANI 2014 Fantasy E.Carib.20132011 HHI 2011 BWV 2009 BCV/OKW for F&W Festival, 2008 AKV,2007 1st trip home BWV 2006 Pop Century 2004 Polynesian 1991 Caribbean Beach Resort 1982 Off Site 1977 Off Site
petbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Ilion
Mouseketeer

I purchased mine through my travel agent after confirming what my work health plan and visa would cover. CAA probably covers something.
Ilion is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
BlakeandMaddysMomma
Mouseketeer

We went with the Disney insurance simply because if you have to cancel for a reason that is not covered, you still get a credit for the full amount to use towards a future cruise.
BlakeandMaddysMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
warrenite
Mouseketeer

Hi,

We've always used RBC (Royal Bank), we've never needed to make a cliam, but they seem to have good coverage and the price is very reasonable.

John
warrenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

We use insuremytrip.ca and choose the best option for us for that trip. Also heard good things about RBC.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
JennyT2
Mouseketeer

Our TD Visa covers us for all of that .... call your Visa provider and see what they offer .... sometimes you will have to change from a free card to a card that charges an annual fee but the perks are generally worth it. For example, my card has a fee (but I tie it in with my service plan on my bank account so it is waived) but I also earn travel points. I use my card for most everything I purchase so on our Disney cruise this past May, I cashed in $1200 in points to put towards my vacation. And right now, I am already back up to $500 worth in points. So my card has lots of great perks incl the insurance as long as I book my trip on my visa.

Next DCL trip Aug/2015
JennyT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Cheerio
Welcomed Guest
Has adorable photos in her signature...

Both times we've used disney insurance.
Disney Fantasy February 2014 - Trip Report (in progress)

Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Niebz
DIS Veteran

We're in the same situation as you (health through DH's work) and we always use Disney insurance because of the option to cancel for any reason and receive a credit towards a future cruise. It's expensive but provides peace of mind.
Niebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Unless you book flights with disney their insurance is only for the cruise part. So don't forget to factor in the extra insurance there.

We too have health through my husband's work, but over the years it has changed. It's not the coverage it was 10 years ago! I am glad I checked with the company directly. No doubt my husband was informed of the changes, but I often don't get to see those notifications!
Just check you have the travel medical coverage you think you have.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

you could always see what your bank offers you. BMO has a few insurance plans on their website.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyT2 View Post
Our TD Visa covers us for all of that .... call your Visa provider and see what they offer .... sometimes you will have to change from a free card to a card that charges an annual fee but the perks are generally worth it. For example, my card has a fee (but I tie it in with my service plan on my bank account so it is waived) but I also earn travel points. I use my card for most everything I purchase so on our Disney cruise this past May, I cashed in $1200 in points to put towards my vacation. And right now, I am already back up to $500 worth in points. So my card has lots of great perks incl the insurance as long as I book my trip on my visa.
Credit card insurance policies almost always have a max amount though - we have a gold VISA, and we are maxed at $4800.00 (it is a per person amount), so when our trip is worth more than that, we have to purchase additional insurance to cover. Also, as mentioned, the entire trip must be paid for on the same credit card in order for the insurance policy to be activated.

It is important that anyone relying on credit card insurance (we have done it many times as we know our policies very well), know their policy limitations very well.

Incidentally, RBC has fabulous insurance plans.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: