Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #16
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace
 
Tiggeroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Finally back on the sunny Jersey shore
Posts: 12,040

when on this show was dave ever called " The Mogul". Lots of other things probably but not that. I always laugh at his totals. He finds a dresser that here would go to the curb or sell at a yard sale for maybe 50. bucks and it's an antique worth 800. easy.
__________________

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it
 
Arielle22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston,MA
Posts: 2,552

I found his allegations interesting because I always thought he seemed to get the better lockers. So was it ok if he was getting the goods but not ok if it was someone else?
__________________
BI 11/05
WL 8/03,8/06,11/10, 11/13, 8/14
POR 10/01
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00


Arielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.
 
katrina1122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Well that was an interesting read.

Here is a tip..... all reality shows are scripted and fake.
.
So true... I was a vendor at a local bridal show. For the 2 hours before it opened while we were all setting up the "Glam Fairy" show from Style (i think) was fully set up and doing complimentary hair trials for supposed brides. They were actually 3 actresses. The fairies staged the same argument over some guy in 9 different takes all while laughing in between, there was no argument.

totally fake, totally scripted...but fun to watch the taping none the less.
__________________
WDW 1976 day tripsWDW 1983 Idrive HotelWDW 1988 Band Trip, stayed in DaytonaWDW 1994 Idrive hotelWDW 1997 Wildnerness LodgeWDW 1998 Boardwalk VillasDL 1998 Offsite
WDW 1999 Best Western, just went to DTD WDW Jan 2004 Pop Century & Animal Kingdom LodgeWDW Feb 2008 Pop Century WDW Nov 2012 POFQ F&WF, MNSSHP & MVMCP!
March 2013 POFQ/AKL Kidani & RCCL Freedom of the Seas Nov 2013 Queen Mary & Disneyland
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"
 
Geoff_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Same with American Pickers. They spent a week on the road, buy $2,000 worth of stuff that they are going to make $2,000 on. Hotel for 5 nights, meals, fuel for that van, salaries for the 2 guys.......the math just doesn't work to me.
I have no doubt that the extent of the trips they show on the program wouldn't happen if they weren't being underwritten by the show's producers. But that's a minor complaint as the show in fact features the basics of what they do. But parts of the show are obviously staged as the video crew is clearly set up and ready to go when the boys are shown rolling into the person's driveway.

Quote:
Pawn Stars made more sense after reading Rick Harrison's book. 99% of the stuff you see is them buying stuff. In reality, 80% (according to his book) of their business is taking items in pawn, and lending money at an interest rate of about 23% per month. THAT, is where they make their money.
It's obvious that the "sellers" are pre-screened and don't just walk up cold to the counters. I'm also sure that Rick doesn't just hang out standing behind the counter waiting for people to walk-up. Likewise, I'm sure the authenticators are often times "pre-staged". But this doesn't bother me, because I only really care about the items featured. However, I wish they'd knock off the blatantly contrived office antics.
__________________

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."
Geoff_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #20
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?
 
minniecarousel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: San Ramon, California
Posts: 15,056

This is rich - Dave Hester complaining about the show being "staged". Well, duh! You were in on it Dave! YUUUP!

Barry is the one who cracks me up. From the beginning, I had heard that Barry was a friend of the Producer and was asked to be in the show. He's an interesting character, but doesn't always use the best judgement in bidding on lockers.
__________________
-Julie

minniecarousel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #21
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda
 
FlightlessDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 11,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_M View Post
It's obvious that the "sellers" are pre-screened.
This is also true for Comic Book Men (Kevin Smith's comic shop reality show). People fill out an application to be on the show as sellers.

http://blogs.mcall.com/tvwatchers/20...-book-men.html
__________________
FlightlessDuck
DH of MouseEarsJenny

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #22
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 5,955

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post

Pawn Stars made more sense after reading Rick Harrison's book. 99% of the stuff you see is them buying stuff. In reality, 80% (according to his book) of their business is taking items in pawn, and lending money at an interest rate of about 23% per month. THAT, is where they make their money.

One of the early Pawn Star episodes showed Rick Dale's brother (of course they didn't tell us who he was) bringing in an old Coke machine to sell. They bought the machine and ended up bringing it to Rick to fix so they could sell it at a higher profit.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #23
TXinmyheart
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_M View Post
It's obvious that the "sellers" are pre-screened and don't just walk up cold to the counters. I'm also sure that Rick doesn't just hang out standing behind the counter waiting for people to walk-up. Likewise, I'm sure the authenticators are often times "pre-staged". But this doesn't bother me, because I only really care about the items featured. However, I wish they'd knock off the blatantly contrived office antics.
You do apply to be on Pawn Stars.

http://www.history.com/shows/pawn-st...-on-pawn-stars

I have been to their store twice and no one from the show was ever there. The only one I recognized once was the black guy working security by the front door.
TXinmyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”
 
pumba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 24,830
DISboards Moderator

good thing that they didnt open a unit in Maine...Last year the owners of the deceased went in and found a dead person that was missing for a few years...I wonder if they look into units before putting them out to be sold...
AND I hated to watch Dave...he made my hair stand up ...but the others were pretty nice people...especially poor Barry...he doesnt seem to need the money..
__________________


pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!
 
pixiewings71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 22,265

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
The thing that bothers me about storage wars is when they get into their units and start "counting up" how much they can make from the stuff. We can't believe that they will end up getting anywhere near what they say things are worth. We always say that we'd love to see what they actually sold their merchandise for.
This bugs me too, but we still watch because it's fun. lol I never believe when they say "I can sell this for xxx". lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniecarousel View Post
This is rich - Dave Hester complaining about the show being "staged". Well, duh! You were in on it Dave! YUUUP!

Barry is the one who cracks me up. From the beginning, I had heard that Barry was a friend of the Producer and was asked to be in the show. He's an interesting character, but doesn't always use the best judgement in bidding on lockers.
I love Barry, he's so funny and he finds the weirdest things in his lockers. He's just fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXinmyheart View Post
You do apply to be on Pawn Stars.

http://www.history.com/shows/pawn-st...-on-pawn-stars

I have been to their store twice and no one from the show was ever there. The only one I recognized once was the black guy working security by the front door.
I went in once, there was 1 guy who was on the show a few times, he started as a security guy but knew something about antiques so he was featured a few times. It was really neat to meet him. No one else was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumba View Post
good thing that they didnt open a unit in Maine...Last year the owners of the deceased went in and found a dead person that was missing for a few years...I wonder if they look into units before putting them out to be sold...
AND I hated to watch Dave...he made my hair stand up ...but the others were pretty nice people...especially poor Barry...he doesnt seem to need the money..
When I worked at a storage facility we did not open them prior to auction, when the bills were unpaid we simply cut off their lock and put ours on. The only way to have our lock removed was to bring full back payment or to have it cut off at auction.
__________________
Kerri DBF DD18 DD14

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.


eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #26
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?
 
Disneychix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,824

I just rented a storage facility to put some furniture in before our new house is ready. The owner of the place was going through all the fine print (seriously, getting a storage facility now has just as much paperwork as getting a mortgage!) and he came across the part about defaulting on the rental and how the auction set up goes and the timeframes and such.
I do have to say, he told us it is illegal for even him to open the locker and rifle through before the auction.
So while I know that these shows are staged and edited and whatnot, I honestly don't believe they are 'planting' goods and units.
__________________
Me DH DS DS

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"



May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Disneychix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #27
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran
 
ShesAPirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clifton, New Jersey
Posts: 1,965

Quote:
Originally Posted by I loveStitchnippyjon View Post
Dave is just trying to get more publicity. He seems like a mean-spirited, small person. I hope he actually WAS fired!
My thoughts exactly. When I saw the link was to a lawsuit, I knew his name was going to be on it.
__________________
Me The BF The Kitty
ShesAPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #28
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran
 
mad madam mim78's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 943

I decided it was fake when 98 percent of the time it was one of the show cast members who won the lockers. You're telling me that out of 50 people that showed up to the auction it was only storage war people who won.

The sad part is I wonder how many people decided to start buying storage lockers hoping to find treasure.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #29
Diznygrl
Disneyland Fanatic
But really, let's get real. I've never met a donut I didn't like
 
Diznygrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggeroo View Post
when on this show was dave ever called " The Mogul". Lots of other things probably but not that. I always laugh at his totals. He finds a dresser that here would go to the curb or sell at a yard sale for maybe 50. bucks and it's an antique worth 800. easy.
They label Dave as "The Mogul" during the theme song/opening credits. Jarrod is "The Young Gun", Barry is "The Collector", and Darrell is "The Gambler".
__________________
Diznygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #30
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 45,039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneychix View Post
I just rented a storage facility to put some furniture in before our new house is ready. The owner of the place was going through all the fine print (seriously, getting a storage facility now has just as much paperwork as getting a mortgage!) and he came across the part about defaulting on the rental and how the auction set up goes and the timeframes and such.
I do have to say, he told us it is illegal for even him to open the locker and rifle through before the auction.
So while I know that these shows are staged and edited and whatnot, I honestly don't believe they are 'planting' goods and units.
You need to read the complaint. They are absolutely planting things but they are doing "after" the auction, I think.

It appears that they are opening the unit right away in the show but in reality they open the unit the next day after they plant goods.

At least that is how I read it and I am not reading it again.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.