Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Tips for a Long Car Trip w/Infant?

We have had a trip to California planned for over a year now. We had to reschedule it once (baby's due date is the day we would've gotten to Anaheim) and our two options for rescheduling is to go when baby is 2 months old or 1 year old. I much prefer traveling with an infant rather than a toddler! Especially because it will take 30 hours for us to drive out there (with plenty of stops and sight-seeing along the way!).

A little back story: We have two sons, but I am not worried about them at all. They are seriously the perfect car travelers - no squabbling, no complaining, no "are we there yets". Naturally I'm expecting the baby to hate traveling because my luck can only run so far lol!

I bottle feed, we're planning to bring the pack 'n' play for the hotel stays (it will be her bed as a newborn, so it should be comforting), and we are being flexible on the drive out there (i.e. "Today we hope to reach Oklahoma City, but if we don't, we'll stop when it's best for the kids"), we're also planning on stopping for gas (if possible) every time baby needs a bottle, to eliminate the need for two separate stops, but other than that, it's been a long time since I traveled with an infant. And never a distance like this!

I know a lot of you travel long distances with babies to get to either WDW or DLR. Any tips would be very much appreciated!!

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

It is a situation where you can wait and see what kind of baby you get? I know that sounds funny but there are some babies that would be wonderful going along with the family cross country, and other that would make it the trip from XOZX! Seriously, Our family was asked to leave a hotel when DS, now 6, was an infant because he was crying and disturbing other guest. He was not really a bad baby at all, but just had normal periods of crying. Beyond that, just make sure you find a place where he can lie down a little during rest stops....sitting for long periods of time is not great for infants, try to arrange sitting where an adult can be beside him most of the time, and thank God for two great travelers! Our 6 year old is now a experienced and wonderful traveler too!
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

We drove from NJ to WDW (about 20 hours of actual driving time) with DD when she was 4 months old. We are very lucky and she is happy in the car. We stopped when she wanted to eat, gave her a bottle, changed her, burped her, let her stretch a bit, did bathroom breaks and leg stretching for DH and I, got gas if we needed it and ate if we were hungry and got back on the road. We made hotel reservations along the way (one night each way) on our phones rather than in advance, we actually ended up getting further than we expected before spending the night.

Some of the things we were able to do that I think really helped:

-planned our route for the least amount of traffic. DD is great in the car but she does start to get restless if we are just sitting and not moving for awhile. We took I-81 rather than I-95, less stress for us and a nice smooth ride for DD

-we brought our rock n play sleeper. DD has reflux and didn't start sleeping in a crib or pack n play until around 6 months, the rock n play was a life saver for all of us, plus it folds flat and is very easy to travel with

-the adult that was not driving sat in the back with the baby (a little different with you since you have more than one kid), we could attend to her if needed while still riding plus we could watch movies and nap a lot easier back there

-we filled bottles with water and just added powdered formula as needed, it was a lot easier than trying to pour water at rest stops and everything was room temp and ready to go. I was also pumping at the time so I would pump while DH drove and give DD the pumped milk at her next feeding so it didn't go bad and I didn't have to worry about keeping it cold for long

-we kept a bag with extra outfits, bibs, blankets, pacifiers, etc easily reachable. Spit up was a big part of our lives for the first 6 months LOL
DD (2014)
tink_n_pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the tips! We do have a very brief window to cancel if the baby has colic or hates traveling (I think Disney has a 45 day policy? We have reservations at The Grand Californian).

We are planning a short trip (we're a couple of hours from Nashville) as a test for how she does in the car. If she passes that as a newborn with flying colors, hopefully we'll be okay .

We do have a big enough car (a Ford Expedition with a third row backseat - we're hoping to have two seats up and the luggage next to and behind that row) where I will be able to ride in the back for part of the time. My oldest son will also be 10 years old and is wonderful with babies, so he'll be an amazing helper when I'm in the front and need a little assistance.

We're planning to bring a bouncer for her to have a change of pace during stops and at hotels (and of course blankets for her to stretch out). We also have a stroller for newborns, so she won't have to be in the carseat when in the stroller.

As of now, we're planning on keeping a case of water in the back (with a few bottles in the diaper bag) and refilling the baby bottles from those, so they're always on hand.

Thank you! If anyone else has some tips, keep 'em coming!

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

I also had a 10yo DS & a newboen at the same time. That in itself is a huge help when you need to keep the rear facing baby entertained & have a big brother in the 3rd seat to be as goofy as needed. Good luck!
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
tigger51276
DIS Veteran

I haven't done a 30 hour trip with a little one, but I have done several 12-17 hour car trips and most of them by myself with my DD's. With my now DD9 she was a perfect traveler no matter how we got there and she made traveling a joy. I always played kid music for her in the car, I would talk to her, stop when she needed to stop (and when I needed a break), and also brought along a portable DVD player to play some Disney movies and Little People shows that she liked. I also tried to do most of my driving during the night so that it was during her sleep time.
With DD now 4, car rides were a nightmare. She hated being in the car and her carseat.....I still remember the first 16 hour car trip with her and my then husband who does not travel well either. It was horrible, she cried for hours and as I was driving I couldn't even do anything to try to comfort her and we were stuck in rush hour traffic to boot. Eventually she did calm down, but it certainly made for a very stressful trip and start to the vacation. Going home she did a bit better, but I think a good portion of the ride home was during the night.
Best of luck with your decision!
Me (37) DD (10) DD (5)
tigger51276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Tigger, that would be one of two things that could potentially cancel the trip: if she absolutely hates the carseat and being in the car! The other would be colic or anything similar. We've got our fingers crossed that she will be a good traveler like her brothers, but we will have no idea until May (and leave in July), so it's a waiting game until she gets here.

The trip to get there and get home will be broken up into 8-10 hour days - not ideal, but better than the 13 hour days that were planned before we found out I was pregnant lol! And we're only reserving the hotels for the multi-night stays, so if we do a 10 hour day and everyone feels like they can go another hour, we'll have the option. On the opposite end of the spectrum - if we have a horrible day and only get in 6-7 hours, we'll have the option to stop then too!

In the meantime, I love accumulating all the tips and knowledge I can about traveling with an infant! I'm inputting all the advice on my phone, so I'll have it within easy reach at all times .

Old 01-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
msmama
DIS Veteran

Make sure (in the short window you said you have) you drive in as many situations as possible to test out baby, lol.

First road trip with my son I thought I would be smart to leave at bedtime and he'd sleep the whole way (only 2 hours). It was his first time in the car at night and he HATED it!!! Screamed at least half the way before passing out!!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
oatway
Earning My Ears

I'll probably take heat for this, but one thing I've done on long drives with the family (12 hour days) is put on some noise cancelling headphones and just drive. It's not possible to stop every time the baby is fussing, and I find the crying to be too distracting when I should be focused on the road. I don't find headphones to be a distraction at all, so it works well for us. Meanwhile my poor wife goes a little nuts trying to deal with the crying, but at least we get where we're going.
oatway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

The last time I traveled with an infant that far was a trip from FL to TX. We stopped once in AL. My son was 6 months. When he got hungry I would stop at the rest stop to feed him and give the older 2 snacks and a drink. It was also a good time for them to run around and burn off energy. They slept most of the trip. Although for me I was alone so we had to stop all the time baby was hungry. It will be a bit easier for you since one can drive and the other tends to baby. I bet you will be surprised and baby will sleep most of the trip. Especially at that age.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom27 View Post
I bet you will be surprised and baby will sleep most of the trip. Especially at that age.
That's what I'm hoping!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
holbie18
Earning My Ears

Is there a reason why you need to drive? It might be cheaper in the long run to fly when you factor in gas, wear and tear on your car, meals while driving, hotel stays while driving.

Neither of my kids were good in the car. We had a stressful enough time just driving five hours to Long Island with them, and that would be with two stops. Anyway, there is no way we would drive that distance with a newborn. My kids are now 4 and 6 and we are just now willing to entertain the idea of driving up to 8 hours in a day with them.
holbie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbie18 View Post
Is there a reason why you need to drive? It might be cheaper in the long run to fly when you factor in gas, wear and tear on your car, meals while driving, hotel stays while driving.

Neither of my kids were good in the car. We had a stressful enough time just driving five hours to Long Island with them, and that would be with two stops. Anyway, there is no way we would drive that distance with a newborn. My kids are now 4 and 6 and we are just now willing to entertain the idea of driving up to 8 hours in a day with them.

We talked about it briefly, but aside from the hassle of flying lately (security being the main - necessary - issue), the nearest airport being a few hours away, getting the gear we would need on a plane (pack n play, stroller, etc.), paying for extra luggage since it's a long trip, potential delays and redirects, the cost of tickets, the cost of a rental car for over two weeks (one that could fit 5 people + luggage) because of the numerous destinations we want to visit all over Northern and Southern California, still paying for gas, DH and I decided it's easier to drive and control most aspects (except the potential traffic jam). And what little bit of money we would save isn't worth the convenience of being in control of our own stops and starts.

We would still have a lot of driving to do if we flew into, say, San Francisco because we want to tour down to San Diego and parts of the southwest.

However, if this was strictly a Disneyland trip, we would suck it up and fly and make a week of it, but Disneyland is four days of 16. We've got stops planned for Vegas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego (Zoo), Grand Canyon, Dallas - the list goes on, but those are the major stops.

If we ever do this trip again, it will probably be when DD is 10 (DS's 1 and 2 would be 20 and 16 at the time), so we want to make the most of this trip, since it might be the only time the boys go with us. There might be future trips flying into different locations out west with the whole family, but this is the only time we're planning a tour of as much of the area as we can for the indeterminable future.

My older two are amazing on long trips - we're not worried about them at all, they've always been great at any age, so we're hoping DD will sleep a lot of the time, since she'll only be 2 months old.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
IttaBit
Earning My Ears

I'd reschedule because a 2 mos old in a car for that long sounds like a nightmare to me. At that age, the baby would sleep quite a bit, but I would just wait. We've travel quite a bit by car with our kids and I think the youngest we went was 2 yrs. We drove from TX to FL for Disney and she did great. She was a very easy baby/child though. If you do decide to go, I agree with having the non-driving adult sit in back with the baby if possible.
IttaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleeH

We talked about it briefly, but aside from the hassle of flying lately (security being the main - necessary - issue), the nearest airport being a few hours away, getting the gear we would need on a plane (pack n play, stroller, etc.), paying for extra luggage since it's a long trip, potential delays and redirects, the cost of tickets, the cost of a rental car for over two weeks (one that could fit 5 people + luggage) because of the numerous destinations we want to visit all over Northern and Southern California, still paying for gas, DH and I decided it's easier to drive and control most aspects (except the potential traffic jam). And what little bit of money we would save isn't worth the convenience of being in control of our own stops and starts.

We would still have a lot of driving to do if we flew into, say, San Francisco because we want to tour down to San Diego and parts of the southwest.

However, if this was strictly a Disneyland trip, we would suck it up and fly and make a week of it, but Disneyland is four days of 16. We've got stops planned for Vegas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego (Zoo), Grand Canyon, Dallas - the list goes on, but those are the major stops.

If we ever do this trip again, it will probably be when DD is 10 (DS's 1 and 2 would be 20 and 16 at the time), so we want to make the most of this trip, since it might be the only time the boys go with us. There might be future trips flying into different locations out west with the whole family, but this is the only time we're planning a tour of as much of the area as we can for the indeterminable future.

My older two are amazing on long trips - we're not worried about them at all, they've always been great at any age, so we're hoping DD will sleep a lot of the time, since she'll only be 2 months old.
Sounds like us. There is a conference in Orange County, CA in 2014 that I will be attending. It will probably be the only time we will be that far out and that close to DL. So we are going to take advantage and do 4 days at DL after the conference. I have been researching and found the hotel for us to stay at too. We are also talking about having another baby. If things work out as planned the baby will be between 1-2 months. My sister is going with me since DH has to work. I like the fact of baby being so young so s/he will sleep most of the time while I am at the conference. Just baby in the wrap and nurse when I need to.

Babies like the vibration of the car it soothes them. Relax and have fun. Sounds like it will be a really fun road trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: