Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Odd landlord situation - Opinions?

My landlord is a little odd. We rarely see him, he never calls us back usually has his assistant speak with us. We love the home we rent and the location. The rent is a bit high, so we will probably look around next lease since there are many homes empty on this street. I debated whether or not to post this, because I do not want to violate the no politics and religion rule. This topic is about the landlord and his rights to put up signs, not what the signs refer to.

Here is what he has been doing. During the election, he came over and put political signs on our lawn. Offensive ones. Really offensive ones. Not just run of the mill with someone's name. I took them down, called and left several messages and never heard back from him. Now he has put some more signs on the lawn. These are also somewhat offensive, depending on what holiday you celebrate. I took them down, new ones reappeared. These ones are worse. Again he is not returning my calls. Again, I took the signs down.

Does the landlord have the right to put these signs on the lawn of our rental? He owns the home, but the signs are causing people to yell out their window and throw trash at the house. I have also gotten several comments at work from people who pass by our home on the way by.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't want to be in your position, but he can put them up. It's his property. I have had similar issues in the past (not with signs). Landlord wants something there, it's their property.
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Ponygirl
Mouseketeer

It sounds to me like he is creating an unsafe living environment. I would be taking lots of photos and my attorney would be in touch. Do you know it is definitely the landlord responsible for the signs?

I wonder if he puts up the same signs at his personal residence. Ugh!
Ponygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

He does puts them up at his home. He has his own billboard that he made himself. (yikes)
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

I'd check with a lawyer to see what your rights are in this situation. At the very least, I'd be asking the lawyer if there were a way to get out of the lease early. I'd be afraid someone would throw worse things than trash.

He's hurting himself more than anyone, because he's going to have a heck of a time renting that place out with those signs on the lawn.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
mrsv98
Gracie's Mama
Loves those slider bags
Beware the Tails of Doom!
I couldn't believe the weeny little turkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
My landlord is a little odd. We rarely see him, he never calls us back usually has his assistant speak with us. We love the home we rent and the location. The rent is a bit high, so we will probably look around next lease since there are many homes empty on this street. I debated whether or not to post this, because I do not want to violate the no politics and religion rule. This topic is about the landlord and his rights to put up signs, not what the signs refer to.

Here is what he has been doing. During the election, he came over and put political signs on our lawn. Offensive ones. Really offensive ones. Not just run of the mill with someone's name. I took them down, called and left several messages and never heard back from him. Now he has put some more signs on the lawn. These are also somewhat offensive, depending on what holiday you celebrate. I took them down, new ones reappeared. These ones are worse. Again he is not returning my calls. Again, I took the signs down.

Does the landlord have the right to put these signs on the lawn of our rental? He owns the home, but the signs are causing people to yell out their window and throw trash at the house. I have also gotten several comments at work from people who pass by our home on the way by.
Is it a single family home? Renters have rights, though they vary by state so you should check. If I were you, I would look into the covenant of "Quiet Enjoyment"

Quote:
A Covenant that promises that the grantee or tenant of an estate in real property will be able to possess the premises in peace, without disturbance by hostile claimants.

Quiet enjoyment is a right to the undisturbed use and enjoyment of real property by a tenant or landowner. The right to quiet enjoyment is contained in covenants concerning real estate. Generally a covenant is an agreement between two parties to do or refrain from doing something.

Courts read a covenant of quiet enjoyment between the Landlord and Tenant into every rental agreement, or tenancy. Thus a renter, or tenant, has the right to quiet enjoyment of the leased premises regardless of whether the rental agreement contains such a covenant.

In the covenant of quiet enjoyment, the landlord promises that during the term of the tenancy no one will disturb the tenant in the tenant's use and enjoyment of the premises. Quiet enjoyment includes the right to exclude others from the premises, the right to peace and quiet, the right to clean premises, and the right to basic services such as heat and hot water and, for high-rise buildings, elevator service. In many respects the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment is similar to an Implied Warranty of habitability, which warrants that the landlord will keep the leased premises in good repair. For example, the failure to provide heat would be a breach of the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment because the lack of heat would interfere with the tenant's use of the premises and would also make the premises uninhabitable, especially in a cold climate.

Other rights related to quiet enjoyment may be tailored to specific situations. For example, at least one court has found that the ringing of smoke alarms for more than a day is an interference with a tenant's quiet enjoyment of leased premises (Manzaro v. McCann, 401 Mass. 880, 519 N.E.2d 1337 [1988]).
Really, the best idea might be to look around, especially of the rent is high. If you want to stay, you will probably want to have a lawyer look at your lease and draft a letter that references your rights and tell him to knock it off.

Good luck, situations like this can be very touchy.
mrsv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Can you post a sign saying that's the landlords sign, not the occupants and draw an arrow to it?

People willing to post highly opinionated signs always seem to be a little off.
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!

ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
mnrose
DIS Veteran

It's his house...however, you lease it. And, that gives YOU the right to control the signage in the front yard. Ownership of the house DOES NOT give you the right to post anything other than a "for rent" or a "for sale" sign. Anything other than that interferes with your right to quiet enjoyment of the property....one of the things you are entitled to in your lease.

As a practical matter, I'm not sure what you can do about it. I'd probably find another place to rent.

FYI...I am a landlord, and I would never presume to plant a political sign in my tenant's property. Very offensive.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

I have no idea if that is legal for him to do or not, but regardless of that, it is a bad situation for him to put you in. It sounds like you are not happy there for other reasons as well, so if I were in your position, I'd probably just start looking for somewhere else to move.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
Pooh Girl 71
Good looking, half naked men and choreagraphed violence....what's not to love?
Biting back is the only thing that I have ever seen work
the presidents must all be facing forward

I don't know the various rental laws in different states. We rented a place many years ago. We had gone through a leasing office, after we signed the lease, the owner pops up. In fact, he kept stopping by and calling. It got so bad, we called the police to ask what to do. They said he is technically the owner but since we had a lease it was our property and he couldn't show up whenever he wanted.
Pooh Girl 71 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: