Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

For those who have D-cruised 5 or more times....?

For those who have taken a Disney cruise 5 or more times: do you find you go to the same places or different each time? For me, I can only see myself going on a D-cruise for Castaway Cay only. I can't justify Alaska, Europe or Mexico. Just curious in what the loyal cruisers do.
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Disney fan View Post
For those who have taken a Disney cruise 5 or more times: do you find you go to the same places or different each time? For me, I can only see myself going on a D-cruise for Castaway Cay only. I can't justify Alaska, Europe or Mexico. Just curious in what the loyal cruisers do.
On DCL we have done a 14 night Panama Canal cruise, many 3/4 night Bahamas cruises, many 7 night Caribbean cruises, a 2 night cruise out of NYC, an 8 night cruise out of NYC, and 5 night Canadian cruise of out NYC, an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver.....destination is not the whole deal...price is a big factor....I look for cheap prices and if I can make it I go. Still want to do a Transatlantic on DCL and the Med on DCL. CC is beautiful but I certainly would (and do) cruise DCL intineraries that don't include CC. I have no problem repeating itineraries and I still go to all the shows each cruise!!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Cruise #1 - Panama Canal
#2 - 10 night Med B2B with
#3 - West Bound TransAtlantic
#4 - Mexican Rivieria (finally taking our kids on a DCL cruise)
#5 - Mexican Rivieria (for youngest who could do the first one)
#6 - Hawaii

So, we've only repeated one, only been to CC twice, and still have Eastern/Western Caribbean and Bahamas to do.

Also hoping DCL will return to NYC for some Canada cruises and does a few more Pacific Coastal ones.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We go all over. What I don't like are the short cruises and Nassau. I'll leave those for the first timers.

We also look for high value cruises (low prices). I've done 3 Trans-Atlantics, one of the B2B with the first Med. Hey, if you are paying the airfare.... Done Panama Canal repo, Dover to Barcelona repo, etc. as well as the "normal" Eastern/Western, some with odd stops like Tortola and St. Croix. Castaway Cay is nice, but I'm not a huge beach person.

Our cruises generally have some reason for being chosen...be it dates we were available, want to check out the new ship, new island, or whatever.

We did Alaska on another line. It had better food than DCL but family still votes for DCL's bigger cabins and better entertainment.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
We also look for high value cruises (low prices). .
Wise Grasshoper, can you impart sage advice on this?
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

I've cruised with Disney 10 times, with number 11 coming up in less than two months. Truthfully the ship is my destination and though I like going places, I care more about being on board than the ports. In fact one of the thing I've liked about repeating itineraries is that I can choose to stay on board at one of the ports and enjoy the ship almost all by my onsie!

That being said, going other places, with Disney, like Alaska is very appealing and hope to make that happen one day. I would really only consider cruising another line if it was a very special themed cruise. I'm a die hard DCL fan and feel the product has great value for the dollar!!!

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wise Grasshoper, can you impart sage advice on this?
OK...repo cruises tend to be the best value. We typically pay about the same for a 14 night TA as for most 7 night cruises, so much better per diem value. You usually see the same thing with any cruise that starts and ends at different ports--Dover to Barcelona was another good example. Look at prices whenever one of the ships is moving. Unfortunately, the Panama Canal was not cheap, but it was great. Prices may have come down since the ships have done it several times now. Airfare can eat your savings, but again, look around. I got $475 air Barcelona home! Even adding cost to Orlando + Transfers it was a bargain over Disney's something about $1000.

Other good prices on 7 night cruises--very end of August and all of September. Early January to mid February. And then keep your eyes open for cruise that aren't selling well. In May 2009, I was able to do a cruise for 6 adults + airfare for under $6K. Yeah, I don't expect to see those prices again. $599 for first 2 in the cabin, $499 for number 3. (+$49 tax)...and air fare was $150 round trip each!. The kids were all graduating, so were out of school before the very end of May...so it worked.

Also book as early as you can. Our next cruise has more than doubled in price since we booked it.

There are some websites like vacationstogo.com that list fares in an easy way to scan them and look for bargains. I booked with them once--nothing bad, but nothing great either...but they do have a good web site for value hunting.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
3princessMommy
DIS Veteran

We've done 6 different cruises - I don't necessarily like going to the same place over and over (with the exception of CC). That said, we are taking the Dream on a B2B in March, but that's partially because we'd like to be on the Dream and we can't do a vacation this summer and don't want to take the kids out of school any more than necessary.

I agree with previous poster that the ship is part of the destination. But that said, I'm not going to spend thousands to see the same places over and over. That's part of the fun of cruising - unpacking only once to see many different places!

We are really hoping that DCL takes the Magic back to the Med in 2014 - we will be booking that as soon as it comes out. But other than that, we may be taking a DCL break unless they come out with some new exciting itineraries.

Joann

DHMe DD13 DD11 DD8 Nala Sasha Patches
1976:WDW OS; 1986:WDW OS; 1993:WDW CR; 2007:DLP NBC; 2008:WDW SOG; DCL Wonder DD; 2009:WDW SOG; DCL Magic Tortola; 2010:DCL Magic Baltic; DCL Magic Xmas; 2011:DCL Wonder Alaska; WDW AK; 2012: WDW BLT & DCL Fantasy Western; 2013: WDW BCV & B2B DCL Dream; 2014: Magic Barcelona to Venice Repo Planned: 2015: Fantasy Eastern; Magic Iceland Cruise
3princessMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
tajz90
Mama D

We have only repeated an itinerary once and we've done 7. We are repeating again soon but it's a Christmas cruise and we wanted a Disney C at that particular time and didn't care where it went.

I've cruised other lines, but we are disinterested in sailing with anyone else now. So if they aren't sailing someplace we want to see, we do something else. No biggie. The Caribbean holds little appeal to our family.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

2003 Eastern
2004 Western
2005 Eastern
2006 Western w/ Costa Maya and double dip
2008 EBPC
2010 3-day [last minute KSF]
2011 Western [KSF to replace cancelled WBTA]
2011 July Alaska
2012 MV Western
2013 Eastern w/ Puerto Rico

Honestly, most of our cruises were not selected for the itinerary. They were booked because that was when our DIS friends could cruise. The ports honestly did not matter that much because the kids, as well as we, would be spending a week with great friends we have cruised with several times. Our 2013 cruise was selected based on the glitch price opening day. I took it as a sign that we were meant to be on that cruise. We still have not seen everything on the ships or participated in every activity onboard. Two cruises ago we finally started going to the night clubs for the adult shows. Now that the kids are older we are able to relax even more. It is the first cruise we have gone on where we will not know anyone from a previous cruise.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

We've done the Mexican Riviera, W Caribbean twice (different ships), Panama Canal, and Hawaii. Next spring we'll do the repo cruise up the Calif coast from Los Angeles to Vancouver.

We have no interest in going back to Nassau. yawn.

We love playing on the ship, but we need some variety in the ports too.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

3-day on Magic
2 4-days on Wonder
2 Westerns on Magic
1 Eastern on Magic
1 Eastern w/Antigua on Magic
1 Transatlantic on Magic
1 4-day on Dream
1 Alaskan on Wonder
1 Eastern w/San Juan on Fantasy

I know I am in the minority, but I don't care about Castaway Cay. If we get there, fine. If not, fine. I love cruising for the time on the ship. The Transatlantic with its 6 sea days in a row was sheer perfection!
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #13
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

We have done 9 cruises now and had quite a mix:

5 night double dip cruise to the Bahamas on the Magic (but unfortunately only made it to Castaway Cay once)

4 night Bahamas on the Wonder

7 night Western Caribbean on the Magic (Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Castaway Cay)

11 Night Med Cruise on the Magic

14 Night Westbound Transatlantic Cruise on the Magic

15 Night Panama Canal Cruise on the Wonder

7 Night Mexican Riviera Cruise on the Wonder

15 Night Hawaii Cruise on the Wonder

7 night Western Caribbean out of Galveston on the Magic (Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel)

The next two cruises are

7 Night West Coast Repositioning Cruise on the Wonder
7 Night Alaska Cruise on the Wonder

On the wish list:
7 night Western Caribbean out of Galveston on the Wonder (Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Cozumel)
3 Night Bahamas Cruise on the Dream (just so that I can see that I have been on one of the new ships)

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #14
MPS516
Disney #2 Fan

We have done several DCL on different itineraries; East and West Caribbean, Med, Alaska, Bahamas, and now Panama Canal. We watch for changes like Key West instead of Cozumel a stop at Grand Caymans or San Juan, we do like a little variety. We have cruised NCL in Hawaii, Louis in Greece, Carnival in the Caribbean and RCL, now only look at other lines if we just can't get DCL worked into our schedule.

We take advantage of the on board booking discount as well as on board credit along with watching for dates where fares are lower. I still believe even with a higher fare DCL is a better value than the other lines we have sailed when you add in the fee items on those lines included in DCL, larger rooms, better service and better maintained ships.
GOLF: Palm, Magnolia, Lake Buena Vista, Oak Trail

MPS516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
sambycat
DIS Veteran

4 night Bahamas/Wonder x2
4 night Bahamas/Dream MV
5 night Bahamas/Dream "double dip"
7 night Eastern/Fantasy
January- 8 night Western/Magic (Galveston)
Looking for Alaska 2014

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: