Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
georgio19
Earning My Ears

Boma or Kona?

My brother and sister in law are looking for an evening away without the four kids. So, just two adults (but not a signature, due to $) also, not at a park. I have a reservation for them at Boma and Kona, but not sure which would be better. Or, do you have a better selection? Thank you for your advice
georgio19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Are they looking for anything in particular in their dining experieince?

GFC and Wave are a couple of other places I can think off right off hand....
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgio19 View Post
My brother and sister in law are looking for an evening away without the four kids. So, just two adults (but not a signature, due to $) also, not at a park. I have a reservation for them at Boma and Kona, but not sure which would be better. Or, do you have a better selection? Thank you for your advice
Boma is almost as much as a signature! I would spend a little extra to do the signature.
Kona has reasonable prices and a great menu. They could enjoy great service, appetizers, entree, and dessert at Kona for the price of boma.

I would suggest Kona! I also agree with PP, GF Cafe never disappoints.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I enjoyed both but Boma is one of our very favorites!! Between the two, I'd go with Boma. Not terribly romantic romantic! The Wave is a darker restaurant and would probably be lovely for a date night. My only issue with Boma is the $$ since it's a buffet...but the food is so yummy!

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW:All Star Sports Oct 2014 * Caribbean Beach Resort Oct 2014, Feb 2015 * Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
comicguy
DIS Veteran

Boma is a great meal!!!
Dec 2000 Movies, Jan '03 Movies, Jan '05 Movies, Jan '06 Movies, August '06 POP, Jan '07 POP, Aug '07 POP, Aug '08 POP, Aug '09 POP, Aug '10 POP Aug '11 POP, POP '12, AoA '13

Next Trip: '14 POP
comicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
purple figment
DIS Veteran

For a dinner without the 4 kids I would like to sit down and be served so I would not choose a buffet. Kona would be the better choice, but I think one of the DTD restaurants, such as Raglan Road, would be fun and the food is very good there.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
SarahKate
DIS Veteran

Food wise I like Boma more. There are so many wonderful things to try. But we also really love Kona. If you're wanting a more laid back experience where you're being waited on and can socialize a bit more, I think Kona would be a better choice. But if you really like trying different kinds of food and not worried about the social part, then Boma is a great choice. You can chat at Boma but it is very noisy in there!
SarahKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
monorailmom
DIS Veteran

We have eaten at both: and on our adults-only trip for our 20th anniversary, we ate at Kona. Perfect choice. We enjoyed our meals in a quiet setting, while enjoying the people-watching of everyone in the Poly lobby. We shared a Lapu Lapu, which we are still smiling about now.

Boma is a great restaurant: we plan on eating there again with our four kids. However, as far as a quiet night, with time to relax and chat which is hard to come by for parents of four: I'd head to Kona.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

We love both and I would be hard pressed to choose between them. Forced to take one I would go with Kona because it easier to get to.
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

Can't go wrong. Kona sit down vs Boma buffet...I'm loving the Boma buffet so that's my pick. But, again, wonderful food and experience either way.

Have a great time!
Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

These are two different experiences. IMHO, Kona is the better meal. Its a sit-down restaurant with some really good menu choices. Boma is a buffet, which appeals to those who like a wide variety and quantity.

If there's a desire to experience African cuisine but at a sit-down restaurant I'd suggest Sanaa at AKL-Kidani.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

We have eaten at both.

The problem with Boma (imo) - is that you either like it or love it. If you know you love African inspired food, then it is a great choice. Plenty of choices, very fresh food, wonderful theming..and a beautiful resort to visit. Our last visit, we didn't love the food - too many savory dishes that were sweet tasting. That being said we are staying at AKL and have decided to give it another try.
We have eaten at Kona many, many times and have never been dissapointed in the food. The service can be iffy and the atmosphere can be loud (depending when you go and where your table is located) - but we much prefer the choices here.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Love Kona and it would be quieter than Boma(which we also love but not for a quiet dinner). GFC is also a fav! Maybe Capts Grille at the YC. Very quiet and good food. After they could stroll around the Boardwalk area and maybe grab a drink someplace. You should also take into consideration how they will get back to your resort. A taxi is easy but if they want to take Disney transportation, think about that too.
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
npuhala
Earning My Ears

Kona! Boma is a buffet and far from romantic. The most adult/romantic dinner I ever had at WDW was at chefs counter at Flying Fish!
npuhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I think the atmosphere at kona is pretty dull. Reminds me of a cafeteria/coffee shop.

Maybe try GF cafe? or Captains Grill? Love the pp idea, after Captains Grill dinner walk around the boardwalk. love the boardwalk!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: