Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwhitney View Post
Disney is in port for so long that it is hard to be late. We took like a 5 something train back and had plenty of time.

There is a shuttle from the ship to the end of the pier. The pier is super long. From where the shuttle drops you off its only a 5-10 min walk to the station, plus chances are there will be many going in the same direction so that is always nice.
Thanks for the info.about the shuttle.....sometimes you remeber things but just are not sure....
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #17
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
Thanks for the info.about the shuttle.....sometimes you remeber things but just are not sure....
I hear ya, I remember the shuttle well since we got off the ship so fast the shuttle wasnt running yet...it started running about 5 mins after we started walking and it was a long long long walk down the pier. The shuttle passed us once going each way...lol
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hear ya, I remember the shuttle well since we got off the ship so fast the shuttle wasnt running yet...it started running about 5 mins after we started walking and it was a long long long walk down the pier. The shuttle passed us once going each way...lol
I have the same problem with waiting myself......and when they pass you it really "rubs it in"....
Old 12-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #19
rossjen2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If you have rick steves rome book you will get plenty of info from there. Yes, you will get plenty out with out a guide. Personally guides can get boring, and there is no guarentee you will have a good one. For example, our guide for our sorrento and pompeii tour was terrible.

You will have a more enjoyable experience being on your on schedule. If your son gets bored or hungry or whatever you are free to change your plans. With the book, you can read things out load to the family if you want. With the vast majority of guides everyone gets a little box with headphones that you listen to the guide through, which are very annoying.

YOu can't pre purchase the train ticket, BIRG which is the best deal. But it only took like 5-10 mins to buy the ticket and when we did the vast majority of the line were people all from our cruise . You can look up the train schedule ahead of time and write down the times of different trains you could take. There are a ton of trains going in both directions.
Very, very true point about the tour guide, …… I think you guys have just about convinced me that I need to figure this port out on our own too. Save our money for more gelato!

I am still a bit nervous about the timing and distance…I know it is subject to change, but as of now, we are supposed to be in port 7:15 – 6:30 (followed by two sea days and then Athens, so no luck on a quick easy catchup if we are delayed for whatever reason). Is that about how long the Magic was in port on past cruises?
rossjen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjen2 View Post
Very, very true point about the tour guide, …… I think you guys have just about convinced me that I need to figure this port out on our own too. Save our money for more gelato!

I am still a bit nervous about the timing and distance…I know it is subject to change, but as of now, we are supposed to be in port 7:15 – 6:30 (followed by two sea days and then Athens, so no luck on a quick easy catchup if we are delayed for whatever reason). Is that about how long the Magic was in port on past cruises?
On our 2010 cruise it was approx. the same time. One thing to check that if the port day falls on a Sunday? They still have different times for Sundays especially in St. Peters. But the train is about 50 minutes or so so leaving enough time is a good plan. One thing DCL offered "Rome on your own" type tour and basiccally just transports you back and forth from the ship.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #21
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjen2 View Post

We were originally booked on this cruise and I was so disappointed about the port time in Rome. When we did the cruise in 2007 it was like 8 or 9 pm all aboard time. There is no way I'd leave Rome at 5 pm for 6:30 sailing. I would probably leave closer to 4 or 4:30 pm. I'd give myself two hours. Just my opinion.
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco
We were originally booked on this cruise and I was so disappointed about the port time in Rome. When we did the cruise in 2007 it was like 8 or 9 pm all aboard time. There is no way I'd leave Rome at 5 pm for 6:30 sailing. I would probably leave closer to 4 or 4:30 pm. I'd give myself two hours. Just my opinion.
I second that. I'd def give a 2 hour leeway. Too many things can happen.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #23
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Train go on strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
Too many things can happen.
Such as the trains go on strike or slow down, which frequently occurs in Italy.

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: