Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

O'hana or Luau

I've never eaten dinner at either, but I've clearly become a bit jumbled between the two.

Apparently I thought the food at O'hana was actually the food at the Luau, which makes me worried that I'm confusing the activities as well.

Anyone been to both? I've seen the menus on Allears and know what the food is at both places. Looking for input on the activities/shows at both to try and make a decision.

The food looks far more appealing at O'hana, but the kids may have more fun at the Luau. Any input is appreciated!
Old 12-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

The menu at ohana looks good, but it was very disappointing. wings were slimy, noodles were ok, steak was not the greatest, poor cut of meat. chicken was fine. pork was gross thou. The bread, salad, and dessert were my fave. As for the activities for kids, there were coconut races. And i recall the singer teaching the kids the hula. Overall, disappointing. Sorry I cant say much about the luau. I recall reading a lot of negative reviews about the food. But i would try it at least once.

EDIT to add, pot stickers were also dry. Forgot to mention those!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!

Last edited by goofyintoronto; 12-25-2012 at 08:46 PM.
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

As mixed as the reviews for 'Ohana are, I don' t recall I've ever heard one good thing about the food at the luau. Reviews on the luau entertainment are mediocre at best. If you're determined to try one of these, go for 'Ohana. There are some folks here that think the food there is wonderful.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

We've been to both with young kids (2 and 4.) Food was pretty good at both. We LOVED the food at O'Hana, though. The Luau is not something we would do again. It is ok, but we found the show was very slow going. That being said, my daughter did really like the dancing. She enjoyed the parade and such at O'Hana, too. Pretty much O"hana is a table service restaurant that has some activities that you may find at character meals. It is inside. The Luau is a dinner show. It is outside. Similar theming, but totally different experiences.
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
arcticdisneylovers
DIS Veteran

We've been to both 2 times and thought the food was fine. We enjoyed the show at the luau, but after last time decided twice was enough. I would definitely recommend paying for best seats. DD loved the activities at Ohana's supper. She actually commented, "This is the BEST day ever" after the coconut races. But she is easy to please I did have it booked for our upcoming trip but cancelled our ADR a few weeks ago and booked CG instead
arcticdisneylovers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

We've done the luau once and ohana every trip......that being said, the food is better in our opinion at ohana. The luau is a fun experience that we are glad we did once, but dont think is worth the money to return. There are activities for the kids at ohana, which the kids actually had more fun at. If you ask my kids (15, 10 and 5- so I have a very good range of opinion), they liked ohana much better.

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Sounds good! Thanks for the opinions!

It sounds like O'hana is a bit more interactive versus the Luau which is a sit and watch show.

I think I'll attempt to switch it over since the food at O'Hana was also more appealing and hope for the best!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:45 AM   #8
stlocke
Earning My Ears

We've been to both. Luau is cool but we love Ohana! We were bummed we couldn't get dinner reservations on our last trip, so we opted for their breakfast which is fantastic too!!
stlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
hutch0830
Earning My Ears

We really enjoyed O'hana. We didn't experience any of the bad food I've read about (and my husband is a TOTAL foodie). We really enjoyed the whole meal!
hutch0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Personally I love Ohana.....never miss a chance to eat there.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
JustCallMeMommy
DIS Veteran

The luau is worth doing once at some point. 'Ohana, on the other hand, is a must-do every trip for us. It is a challenge to keep it to just once - we want to do a breakfast and a dinner each trip.

JustCallMeMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Personally, I think they both stink. Spirit of Aloha is boring (4 adults and 4 kids all thougt so) and 'Ohana food is fair at best.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I've never eaten dinner at either, but I've clearly become a bit jumbled between the two.

Apparently I thought the food at O'hana was actually the food at the Luau, which makes me worried that I'm confusing the activities as well.

Anyone been to both? I've seen the menus on Allears and know what the food is at both places. Looking for input on the activities/shows at both to try and make a decision.

The food looks far more appealing at O'hana, but the kids may have more fun at the Luau. Any input is appreciated!
Just a reminder that it's 'Ohana and not O'hana. It's not an Irish Pub.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #14
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
Just a reminder that it's 'Ohana and not O'hana. It's not an Irish Pub.
I will cherish that wisdom with me for all time
Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
mlayton14
Mouseketeer

Before you put too much stock in the ohana Naysayers opinions please understand that ohana is one of the toughest reservations to get on property ... And this for a place with no characters, so they are doing something right. I think the food is fantastic, as long as you know what you are getting so read the menu before you book
mlayton14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: