Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
bellaphia
Mouseketeer

to stay night prior to cruise

someone please tell me the best place to stay prior to cruise..we are a family of five(3 adults and 2 children) flying into MCO arriving sometime in the evening(most likely between 7-9pm) I do not want to spend a fortune on the one night but I also want the place to be clean, have a shuttle to port and possibly shuttle from mco to the hotel
suggestions?!?

bellaphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
ksucats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaphia View Post
someone please tell me the best place to stay prior to cruise..we are a family of five(3 adults and 2 children) flying into MCO arriving sometime in the evening(most likely between 7-9pm) I do not want to spend a fortune on the one night but I also want the place to be clean, have a shuttle to port and possibly shuttle from mco to the hotel
suggestions?!?
I don't think you will find one with a shuttle to the port & from MCO - at least not a free shuttle. Both cruises we have done, we got a one way car rental & drove it to the port. We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton the night before the cruise, turned in the car & then was shuttled from the car rental to the port. It was very easy & IMO the most economical way to get there. There are several other hotels that are good besides the Sheraton in Port Canaveral.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

I'm not aware of any hotel that will shuttle you from MCO and to the port. I second the recommendation to rent a car for a one-way trip to Cape Canaveral, that's cheaper than any shuttle or DCL transfer, especially with the number of people you have. Check out Mousesavers.com for rental car discount codes that can help with the rate; Costco also has discounts that you might be able to use.

What we did was rent a car, drove from MCO to Cape Canaveral, stayed at the Doubletree (reserved using Hilton Family MVP discount). Got free chocolate chip cookies, nice room. DH dropped us at port in the morning, then returned the rental car while we waited in line. He took the free Avis shuttle back to the port. Did the same in reverse on the way out - caught the free rental car shuttle, picked up rental car, drove back to MCO.

(We cruised RCCL, not DCL, but out of PC).

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
candfandm
Mouseketeer

I saw this posted on another cruise forum:

We are flying in a day ahead (5 of us) and are staying at the WingateOrlandoAirport. We booked the RT Port Canaveral transfer package that they offer. For $248.00 we got Transfers from airport to Hotel, one nights stay, transfer to Port Canaveral in the morning, and transfer back to either Hotel of airport (whichever you prefer) post cruise. For 5 of us, that was a great deal at right around $50pp. Not sure how many are in your group, but that was the BEST deal we found with transfers, especially if you are coming in a day ahead
candfandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Hyatt Place NW, book under their cruise package. They have a complimentary shuttle to/from MCO as well as a GOOD complimentary breakfast. The cruise package includes round trip transportation to/from the cruise terminal. For our date, this package was $121+tax which included up to 4 people. Other dates I've checked were as "high" as $150. No discount if you are only doing the transportation one way, but if you are heading to WDW after the cruise, you could take the Hyatt's transportation back to MCO and then ride ME to the world. Night at nice hotel + breakfast + cruise transportation for $121 (total a bit under $140) was a bargain, even for 2 people!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
bzzelady
DIS Veteran

How was the shuttle service between Hyatt Place and MCO? I'm thinking of booking this for our pre cruise overnight stay next month and want to make certain that the shuttle service is timely and reliable.

Me DH DD14 DM
bzzelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
bellaphia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Hyatt Place NW, book under their cruise package. They have a complimentary shuttle to/from MCO as well as a GOOD complimentary breakfast. The cruise package includes round trip transportation to/from the cruise terminal. For our date, this package was $121+tax which included up to 4 people. Other dates I've checked were as "high" as $150. No discount if you are only doing the transportation one way, but if you are heading to WDW after the cruise, you could take the Hyatt's transportation back to MCO and then ride ME to the world. Night at nice hotel + breakfast + cruise transportation for $121 (total a bit under $140) was a bargain, even for 2 people!
wow that sounds great!! I wonder how much it would be to add the fifth person??

Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
I tried pricing this for our trip in August and it was coming up as $234 for 4 transfers. This must have been a special rate you found.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I just looked up the cruise rate for this weekend--it was $149 + tax for 2 people and $189 for 4. I have no idea what it would cost to add a 5th; my suggestion would be that you call the hotel and ask directly. They had a couple of different cruise packages under "special offers. As I said, I've checked rates on several different dates...actually the $189 is the highest I've gotten for 4. The one thing I noticed is that it was often lower when looking at rates a few months out than when I've picked a date like "this month" when I'm checking randomly. This is also the first time that I've seen different pricing for transfers for 2 vs. transfers for 4. Looks like it is becoming a popular service....or the hotel realized what it costs to offer it. A room alone was $77 on a non-cancel, paid in advance rate...so I guess you could do that and have $100+ left to pay for a towncar service. However, a round trip towncar will run more like $250 + tip from most of the big names....

The shuttle service was great at the Hyatt Place.

The Wyngate offers a similar service but it is generally higher priced and there have been reports here of shuttle difficulties. The shuttle used to depart at 10:30--I could handle that. Then they moved it to noon--I don't want to depart Orlando at noon...sorry. IMHO, that ruined the service. It was after that when I saw some bad reviews.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
momhmmx2
Life is a gift...Have Fun!

We are staying the night by the airport then renting a car and driving to port in the morning. It's less expensive to both stay near MCO and rent a car one way.

Me,DH;dd16,ds13
momhmmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Absolutely...a one way car rental is easy and relatively inexpensive. We typically pay $35-50 for a full sized car using discount codes from rentalcodes.com or mousesavers.com....add something for gas and tolls and you're good to go.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
bellaphia
Mouseketeer

has anyone stayed right in MCO at the Hyatt? I'm guessing you would just use the DCL transfers with that..wouldn't have to deal with our luggage that way right
I'm looking for convience as well as not wanting to break the bank

Old 12-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
has anyone stayed right in MCO at the Hyatt? I'm guessing you would just use the DCL transfers with that..wouldn't have to deal with our luggage that way right
We're staying there for our cruise in 3 weeks. Usually we do a one way rent a car, but this time with a late flight in and just me and my two college aged daughters we're going for convenience. It's more than I like to pay for a hotel, $150 before tax, but we don't fly in until 10 pm and it just seemed like the easiest route. Just grab our bags, check in, and then head downstairs in the morning to take the DCL transfers.

Summer 2011 DH and I got in around 8 pm, rented a car and drove to Cocoa Beach. It's an easy drive and it was nice to wake up to a relaxing morning on the beach before we turned in the car and got on the ship. But this time I just didn't want the hassle of driving in the dark when I'm tired with the girls.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Done it. You can often book the Hyatt MCO at a lower rate on your own than the DCL rate...and you get the luggage service regardless of how you booked. You are correct that if you stay at the Hyatt MCO and use DCL transfers in the morning, your luggage will be taken from your hotel room to the ship.

You will need to claim your luggage from the airline when you arrive and take it to the hotel unless you pay the additional charge to have the hotel do this for you.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
bellaphia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post

Summer 2011 DH and I got in around 8 pm, rented a car and drove to Cocoa Beach. It's an easy drive and it was nice to wake up to a relaxing morning on the beach before we turned in the car and got on the ship. But this time I just didn't want the hassle of driving in the dark when I'm tired with the girls.
where did you "turned in the car"? and how did you get back to airport when going back home? if you don't mind sharing where you stayed at Cocoa Beach?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: