Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #16
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceandhayes View Post
My family loves the Poly for the theme, pools, landscaping, Capt Cooks, and location. Yes, you have to walk outside to get from the longhouses to the GCH, but the landscaping is so beautiful and the atmosphere is so amazing, we don't mind the walk. My family (DW, DS7 and DD6) all like to sleep in. I am an early bird so I enjoy walking the grounds and beach at the Poly first thing in the morning. I make a stop by Capt Cooks for coffee. A perfect way to start a WDW day. There is lots to love at all the monorail resorts, but the Poly fits our family's personality. I love the location of the CR, and Chef Mickey is my kids favorite meal, but it just feels like a nice hotel, not a resort to me. We have never stayed at the GF, but it felt too quiet and too stuffy for us when we looked around before dinner at 1900 PF. We feel like we have two vacations when we stay at the Poly, one at the parks, and one at the resort. As you can tell, huge fans of the Poly, and I can't imagine a WDW vacation staying anywhere else.
My thoughts exactly!! Just reading this is making me re-think our staying off site next trip!!
April 2012 Polynesion
auprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by auprincess

My thoughts exactly!! Just reading this is making me re-think our staying off site next trip!!
I agree with your assessment . Although when i said the GF was stuffy, the DIS boards attacked!!!

It always felt stiff and too formal for me. The poly is casual and definetily has the laid back vibe.
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #18
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat
would wait until Disney fixes all the problems with the monorail before staying at a MK monorail resort - they are just too expensive - and if the monorail is not working then why stay there.

now CR and BLT you can still walk to the MK. WL and VWL you can boat over to the Mk.
Yes earlier this week we rose the monorail from the CR to MK after our CM breakfast & my two year old lived it! He asked to ride the monorail all day so we planned on using it to get to Epcot but it was down for the count which was frustrating. We took the boat to TTC and the a bus to Epcot.

We've thought about WL too as its on our resort bucket list. We stayed at AoA on our last visit and loved it but with two little ones are willing to pay more for the convenience of being near the parks & options that allow us to leave sleeping kiddos in strollers or make a quick run back to the hotel fr naps.

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 2/2015 -POFQ; 5/2015 - WL
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #19
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

I can't picture my kids at the GF. They are loud. My 13 year old has volume control issues and then you add a toddler and possibly an infant...I think they'd kick us out! We want to stay there on a parents only trip sometime down the line. Kids have to be old enough to stay with grandparents though!

I think we'd like the theming of the Poly better, but I'm not sure if the theming would outweigh the convenience of walking to MK?

Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 2/2015 -POFQ; 5/2015 - WL
Old 12-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #20
bek
Mouseketeer

I only stayed at GF because my DIL said she'd always wanted to stay there. I'm an AKL and WL personality so I feared GF would be too quiet and stuffy. I have to say I found it to be very laid back and friendly -- not at all stuffy. I would definitely consider staying there again. I'm sure they could handle screaming toddlers and they've added a nice little splash area for kids.

I'm finding transportation to be a major factor in the enjoyment of the trip. So far my best experience has been the Dolphin, which was a Food & Wine and Hollywood Studios trip. We only walked or used the boat -- no buses or monorails. This stay at the GF, I actually used the boat to/from the MK more than the Monorail.

I also think theming is important. I visited WL this trip and just fell in love with the place. It's probably going to be my next resort. But if the next trip includes my grandkids, it'll be back to AoA for me because that's better theming for small kids.

It's too tough to decide on just one place
bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #21
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingeire View Post
I can't picture my kids at the GF. They are loud. My 13 year old has volume control issues and then you add a toddler and possibly an infant...I think they'd kick us out! We want to stay there on a parents only trip sometime down the line. Kids have to be old enough to stay with grandparents though!

I think we'd like the theming of the Poly better, but I'm not sure if the theming would outweigh the convenience of walking to MK?
We went back and forth between the 2...I liked that Contemporary was walking distance and it was a little less expensive, but in the end, theming won. We knew we were going to be at the parks quite a bit, but also having a day at the resort and would be back daily to get a break from the heat and let the younger girls nap, so I wanted to really enjoy the scenery!
April 2012 Polynesion
auprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #22
Kae
DIS Veteran

Poly & CR have the biggest rooms. CR is in one building. Both have better Coffee options then other resorts, imho. We liked how at Capt Cooks they had outside tables, do not know if they do at the CS at CR.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #23
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Actually GF handles screaming kids much better than ANY resort I have been at.. My son has autism and they were so amazing and friendly with him and truly made our stay magical!

All monorail resorts are amazing but the understanding and friendly manner which they handled my son makes it my top choice!
Butterflygirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #24
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
...Best Monorail Resort... Thoughts & recommendations? Thanks!
We have stayed at all the Monorail and MK deluxe resorts. The only right answer is the one that meets your requirements, expectations and budget. Discount rate availability, room availability and time of the year all matter. Also, many people are also driven by the resorts theme and transportation options. We enjoyed our stays at all of the monorail resorts. Prefer the views from PR and CR. Prefer the restaurants at GF and CR. Prefer the marina and transportation options at and from the PR. Viewing fireworks from the CR and PR. Worst parking for guest is at the CR and PR. Prefer the pool at the GF and PR. PR is the resort most likely to be overrun by non-resort guest around 4th of July, NYE amd pool hoppers.

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs

Last edited by MissionMouse; 12-14-2012 at 08:21 PM.
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #25
partigus
Mouseketeer

Monorail is nice but...

I also have a family of 5. Now that the twins are of a ceertain age, we must book rooms at GF, CR, Poly, YBC, or boardwalk. We love all of these, but miss our old fav of the Wilderness lodge. Unless money s no object, I'd go WL while you can. You will have many years to spend at the other deluxe resorts. Unlike the AKL, WL is still easy to get back to from the MK and even EPCOT
2011 Yacht Club (5)
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by partigus
I also have a family of 5. Now that the twins are of a ceertain age, we must book rooms at GF, CR, Poly, YBC, or boardwalk. We love all of these, but miss our old fav of the Wilderness lodge. Unless money s no object, I'd go WL while you can. You will have many years to spend at the other deluxe resorts. Unlike the AKL, WL is still easy to get back to from the MK and even EPCOT
Can you take a boat to both MK & Epcot from WL? My husbands main motivation in going deluxe is not having to collapse the stroller so often.

Why does the WL no longer suite your needs? Is it a space issue? Just curious as I will have a 14 year old and need a pack n play so space is definitely a factor for us. TIA!

Disney Magic - 3/2014
Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #27
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We've done all three monorail resorts and would rank them in this order:
  1. Grand Floridian
  2. Poly
  3. Contemporary

We put Contemporary last because its always felt like an ordinary, cold hotel but with a great location.

We rate the GF and Poly higher because of the much nicer theming of the resorts and the rooms.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #28
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingeire

Can you take a boat to both MK & Epcot from WL? My husbands main motivation in going deluxe is not having to collapse the stroller so often.

Why does the WL no longer suite your needs? Is it a space issue? Just curious as I will have a 14 year old and need a pack n play so space is definitely a factor for us. TIA!
The boats at WL only go to MK & loop CR, WL, & Ft W. to get to Ep, DHS & AK, you will need a bus. The bus to MK was often quicker than the boat in the AM, as it is a very short ride.

The rooms at WL only allow 4, not 5 like most of the other deluxes. (Well except for the club level deluxe rooms that sleep 6 & are never ever included in the discounts! I know, I always check.)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #29
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I'm torn. DH is pretty set on CR, however we might travel with friends and they don't want to stay there. We have a bit to decide. I'm just worried that it would be easiest to stay at CR with two little ones vs taking the bus back & forth to WL because there is no way I'm getting two kids and a stroller off the bus on my own. I guess I could use the boat then so long as we're at MK. I was thinking of maybe doing WL at the holidays and CR or Poly for our January trip.

Disney Magic - 3/2014
Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #30
babyberger
DIS Veteran

I posted this on another thread but I wanted to share it here as well......

We have recently stayed at both WL and CR (and POR several years ago). I have to say I was hesitant to book CR because of the "lack of theme" and also the high price tag. But my DS begged me to and since it was only for a long weekend we decided to give it a try. I can't express enough how much we enjoyed CR. the sheer convenience of everything being so close was priceless. There were no winding hallways trying to get to elevators (like at WL), the grand concourse is so convenient for anything you could need or want. My kids loved watching the monorail go through the resort and after a long day watching the MK fireworks in our pj's was perfect!!! We loved having the monorail to MK or TTC for Epcot. Oh and the size of the rooms is worth the extra $ as well. DD loved sleeping in the day bed, which gave DS a queen size bed all to himself DH and I still prefer the feel of YC the most but we both agreed with kids CR wins hands down. We will be returning to CR in Feb

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: