Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

What Flu do you have and where do you live?

I am just curious, I've seen a couple threads where people talk about having the flu, i thought it would be interesting to have a thread listing where in the country you live and what type of flu you or your family members were diagnosed with, and whether or not you had a flu shot. My son and I just got over flu type B and we live in Florida near Daytona Beach.(we didnt have a flu shot) 2 people in my house that had flu shots didnt get sick.
ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

It would also be good to know which state you are in, if in the US. As far as I know, the flu is huge right now in southern US.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Momvic5
DIS Veteran

We tested positive for flu b. No flu shots for us. So far, three out of the five of us have had the flu. We live in Texas.

Me DH DS DD DS
Momvic5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
shortbun
Peacenik

What IS influenza B? Is it the same influenza B that my son had 8 years ago? High fever, high aches, totally no energy?

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

One problem with this is, what about people that don't go in their doctor's office for a diagnosis? When we've had the flu in the past, we're pretty sure we've got it and don't go to the doctor. I would not wish to drag my sick self (or family members) out of bed just to have someone say....yeah, that's the flu (and here's what kind).
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Mariannekay
Now, think of the happiest things. It's the same as having wings.

Not sure what type, but my poor DS 11 currently has the flu along with a bunch of his fellow classmates. We live in South Louisiana.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
One problem with this is, what about people that don't go in their doctor's office for a diagnosis? When we've had the flu in the past, we're pretty sure we've got it and don't go to the doctor. I would not wish to drag my sick self (or family members) out of bed just to have someone say....yeah, that's the flu (and here's what kind).
I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't go to the Doctor for the flu, so they probably get lumped in the "flu like virus" category?
In the past I probably wouldn't have gone to my doctor for flu like symptoms either, but now if you go early enough they give you tamiflu, which really shortens the severity and the duration I hear.
monkeybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

If you go to the dr and get swabbed and it comes back positive for the flu, they should tell you what type you have. If they dont tell you I would definitely ask. And I'm not suggesting anyone go to the dr just to see what kind of flu they have, I just mean, if you went and got swabbed for it or someone in your family did. In our case my 8 year old son was the one who was swabbed at the pediatrician, I also got it but didnt go to the dr for it.Tamiflu isnt covered by my insurance and its 125 bucks here, yikes!!!And yes you need to be put on it within 48 hours of the start of the symptoms.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
blana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez View Post
If you go to the dr and get swabbed and it comes back positive for the flu, they should tell you what type you have. If they dont tell you I would definitely ask.
Really? I've never been told what type.

DS is getting over the flu (confirmed Monday), and he had the Flumist. DD1 & I had the flu shot this year & don't show any symptoms yet, nor do DH (who refused to get the vaccine) or DD2 (who's too young for the vaccine).
Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
ez
Yoshi Lover

I think its helpful to know because there are different strains going around. I think its helpful to know what you have had and are now immune to for the season. I wonder if you call your dr., maybe they will tell you what type just fyi.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Yes, when my daughter was diagnosed with the flu, years ago, they told her it was A, which is the most virulent and nastiest of the two, mutating quickly and causing pandemics.

Keep in mind all A's and B's are not created equal. There are different strains within each.

The flu shot has historically contained protection for 2 strains of A, and one strain of B, though a flumist was just approved by the FDS that protects against 2 strains of B. Since the flu shot is developed based on predictive data they have 6 months prior to flu season, there is always a chance a different strain will spread, and the flu shot will not offer protection for that.

And no, Influenza B is not the same as anything someone had a few years ago-- it mutates very quickly, which is why the flu shot you had a couple years ago will not protect you this year.

Last edited by Ginny Favers; 12-13-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
NikitaZee
DIS Veteran

We all got the shot in my house, but the school nurse sent an email yesterday that there is influenza A confirmed in all schools in our district (along with stomach virus and strep). We're in Massachusetts.
NikitaZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

My DD had a couple weeks of head cold type stuff...coughing, loss of voice. My mom had that too. I didn't take DD to doctor. But looking up MD's flu info, we are having sporadic cases and it's type A flu (type A can be spread by animals and type B cannot). I went to urgent care for bum toe (a couple days ago) and they told me they were super busy with flu patients.

Here is a US map from the CDC, but it's nearly 2 weeks old. Some states are widespread. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

Last edited by lovin'fl; 12-13-2012 at 08:26 AM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

People, no matter what, the flu is here.
ESPECIALLY in the south!!!!
Which exact strain, I don't know if that matters.
The flu vaccine is supposed to have it pretty well covered.

Here is the thing.
Do NOT place any faith in Tamiflu.
It may have worked better, or been portrayed as a wonder drug, when it came out. But, either the flu virus have become immune, or the early results were not really true in a larger scale.

A couple years ago, we took Tamiflu, and it did very little, if anything at all.
I have heard similar accounts many times.

This is now a widespread concern, and the effectiveness of this drug is being questioned by the medical community.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
Momvic5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
I did not want to drag my sick DS16 to the doctor either, but after his third absence from school, he had to have a doctor's note to return to school. His fever was so high while we were there that the flu test was an obvious procedure for him. Our doctor read his results to us as "positive for flu b." He was given Tamiflu.

Five days later, my DS11 started running a high fever with the exact same symptoms. Thinking he needed Tamiflu, I took him to our doctor. Oddly enough, he tested negative for the flu, but since the flu was already diagnosed in our home, he was treated as if he had a positive reading and given Tamiflu as well.

At this point in our experience with the flu, I am not sure if the Tamiflu was needed. I was told that the Tamiflu would cut their sick times in half -expect 5 to 7 days instead of 10 to 14 days. Both of my sons ran high fevers for five days before they began to feel better (pretty much followed what the doctor expected), but I ran a high fever for only two days before I started feeling better, and I did not take Tamiflu. After talking to others who have had the flu in our area, the fever is lasting 5-7 days with or without the Tamiflu.

Me DH DS DD DS
Momvic5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: