Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #91
tiffjoy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith

As much as I hate to say this - strip club for kids party wins hands down over kids gun range birthday party.
And how is that???

I would never, ever in a million years take my children to a strip club. EVER. I believe it's actually illegal in many states.

A supervised safety lesson in handling guns where the ratio of adults to children is 2:1 is not dangerous. Again, I will reiterate that across the country, many kids are taught how to handle guns by she 8. If its not common in your area, ok. It doesn't mean it's preferable to take your kids to a strip club over a safety lesson.

This thread has gotten ridiculous. I don't disagree at all with people saying they would not do this. But to say a strip club is preferable?? Really??

WDW Trips: First trip January 2004! 1/2005, 1/2006, 2/2006, 1/2007, 12/2010, 1/2013
DLR Trips: First trip January 2006! 9/2007, 8/2010, 9/2011, 9/2012, 4/2013, 12/2013

Upcoming:
DLR August 2014 for 5 days for DD4's 5th birthday
WDW January 2015 for 4 days for DD2's 3rd birthday
tiffjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #92
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
I recall a story but it may not be the same one - one I remember the ding dong just sortof thought he could hang around Manhattan with a handgun. He was some minor politicianish guy and it was quite the amusement-getter here because yeah, we are.

Amen. Given that choice, I'm making up some 'guess the ccs' party game.
Gone to google "guess the ccs" party...
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #93
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post
And how is that???

I would never, ever in a million years take my children to a strip club. EVER. I believe it's actually illegal in many states.

A supervised safety lesson in handling guns where the ratio of adults to children is 2:1 is not dangerous. Again, I will reiterate that across the country, many kids are taught how to handle guns by she 8. If its not common in your area, ok. It doesn't mean it's preferable to take your kids to a strip club over a safety lesson.

This thread has gotten ridiculous. I don't disagree at all with people saying they would not do this. But to say a strip club is preferable?? Really??
Yes. REALLY. But then, taking kids to a gun range birthday party is illegal here.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #94
tiffjoy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith

Yes. REALLY. But then, taking kids to a gun range birthday party is illegal here.
Okey dokey.

I'm pretty puzzled by your thinking. I learned to shoot at 6 and I'm ok. And I've still never been to a strip club. But whatevs.

WDW Trips: First trip January 2004! 1/2005, 1/2006, 2/2006, 1/2007, 12/2010, 1/2013
DLR Trips: First trip January 2006! 9/2007, 8/2010, 9/2011, 9/2012, 4/2013, 12/2013

Upcoming:
Old 12-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #95
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post
Okey dokey.

I'm pretty puzzled by your thinking. I learned to shoot at 6 and I'm ok. And I've still never been to a strip club. But whatevs.
And I'm puzzled by your thinking.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #96
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy

Yes, because strip clubs are the same. Slight exaggeration.

I have take no issue with people saying they wouldn't allow their kids to attend. But we are not talking about a free for all with guns. The website (I posted it earlier) detailed how they conduct the parties. They require one adult for every two kids. Only one kid shoots at a time. The kids are required to recite four safety rules from memory to participate. They are supervised the entire time they are shooting. They are not running around with guns.

Many kids are taught how to handle guns safely and with supervision. I was one of those kids. This does not equate to taking them to a strip club or a bar.
If you handle a stripper wrong it could be much more dangerous than a gun!!!
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #97
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
If you handle a stripper wrong it could be much more dangerous than a gun!!!
Dang right. Dem there nekkid women will burn your eyes blind!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #98
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

I haven't read this whole thread, but my child would not be participating in this kind of party. I can think of several reasons.

1) As a teacher, I can tell you that different parents have widely different standards of what constitutes appropriate supervision. Even if I went along, and closely supervised my kid, that doesn't mean that others are doing the same. I would not trust a child I don't know, whether or not they can recite some safety rules, supervised by an adult I don't know who also may not know the child in question, to be using a gun around my child.

2) My family has it's values about gun safety, other individuals may have different values. For that reason, I want to be the one to select when, and where, and what, and from whom my child learns about gun safety. I'd also probably want to be there, unless the instructor was someone I knew very well. That doesn't mean that I think that 8 is too young, just that I'm not going to let a party host and someone looking to make a profit choose who and how and what and when my kid learns about guns. I also think that isn't to young to learn about sex and birth control, but I wouldn't send my 8 year old to a party where they were putting condoms on bananas.

3) I think the association between guns and partying is weird. I want my kid to think that shooting is a somber, serious thing. But then I live in a city that has, in the past, been ravaged by gun violence. I don't want my kid making a connection between guns and things like cake, and balloons.

That isn't to say that I wouldn't let my kid go on an outing to a shooting range. If there was an outing where adults I knew and trusted, who shared my values and whose management skills I had seen and could vouch for, took a group of kids that they and I knew and could vouch for, on an "educational" trip (e.g. not billed as a party) to a shooting range. Yes, I think that could be great. I'm thinking of a church youth group or a boy scout troop or some other group that stays stable over time. I can also think of specific parents I'd trust if they said "I'm taking my son, can I bring yours too?", but that's very different from a birthday party.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #99
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
I recall a story but it may not be the same one - one I remember the ding dong just sortof thought he could hang around Manhattan with a handgun. He was some minor politicianish guy and it was quite the amusement-getter here because yeah, we are.
Definitely not the same one - IIRC, this guy was en route to Africa & had a rifle (or two). I hear similar stories as yours though lots of places. Someone just out to draw attention to themselves or make a point.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #100
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

my boys would love it.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #101
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
Objections aside, are you really sure it would actually be illegal? I mean, I would assume that anywhere that has guns & gun ranges (and that includes Canada) would have the potential to have this setup.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #102
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
But how do you know that any kid your child may be friends with doesn't have a parent with a gun? You know not everyone that owns a gun is looking to be a gansta right? Some people actually use them for sport.
I'm not the poster you're quoting, but yes, we ask the parents of any child before our children go over to their home to play whether there are guns in the house. If the answer is yes (and it has only been "yes" twice), we ask for the child to come to our home or to meet somewhere else to get together. It has never been an issue, and we assume the parents are not lying to us when we ask. We explain that it has nothing to do with our trust of the parents, but that it's a personal value, and both gun owners were completely understanding and our daughter is friends with both girls. They merely play at our home or at a third-party location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
Ok, so, do you ask people if they own guns before you hang out with them? How exactly do you know if they own guns or not? Are your kids allowed to hang out with kids whose parents are police officers?
Yes, my wife and I ask. We don't think people who own guns are bad people, but guns are not compatible with our value system, just as some parents eschew having their children visit homes where there is alcohol (using that as an example of something else that is legal and usually enjoyed responsibly but to which some people have an objection on principle). We don't know any police officers or members of the military and our children have not made friends with any children of police officers or of people in the military as of yet, so that is an interesting question that we will likely address if and when the time comes. My candid reaction, however, is that no, we would still not allow our children to be in their home at least initially but if we felt comfortable with the parents, we might reassess in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
Do you let your kids go to pool parties? Just like a gun party, a pool party could go tragically wrong if the adults involved aren't extraordinarily careful. My 3 year old is invited to a pool party in a few weeks, and I told DH that he has to come with me - 20 preschoolers in a pool is a dangerous situation unless there are enough adults. I want to be able to socialize at least a little bit with the other moms, so all 3 of us will go so that at least one adult is watching DS at all times. That's the type of surveillance I would expect at a gun party, too.
For my wife and me, it is a values-based choice. We simply do not like guns and they do not fit within our life or our family's values. A pool, while certainly dangerous, is not inherently designed to kill. Also, to be fair, we do ask whether the parents take appropriate precautions if they are going to swim at a friend's pool, but we will generally suggest going to our country club to swim, instead, as we know the lifeguards well and are more comfortable with them. Since nearly all of DD's friends belong as well, that usually works for all involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Pools can be very dangerous. There are far fewer pool owners than gun owners in the U.S., yet our children are far more likely to die in a pool than from a gunshot. So, with that in mind I don't find it unusual that anyone would object to taking their kid to either a shooting range party or a pool party.

But, I also equate refusing to allow their children to associate with someone who'd host a gun party to be pretty much equal to refusing to allow their children to associate with anyone who owns a pool. And that just sounds weird
Again, it's just a values thing for me and my family. I don't think gun-owners are bad people and I know that most use their guns responsibly. Honestly, yes I do wish there were fewer guns and more restrictions on them, but that is not the law of the land and I accept that. As a pacifist, however, I find them incompatible with my values so rather than insist they be removed from the world, I choose to remove them from my life.

And yes, we speak to our kids about guns, that they are not bad but that they are very dangerous, and to never play with one if they find it. When they are older, perhaps even as teenagers if they show responsibility and competency, they will make their own value decisions about guns and may choose to use them. But for the time being, I do not want my children playing in a home with a gun.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #103
tiffjoy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy

I'm not the poster you're quoting, but yes, we ask the parents of any child before our children go over to their home to play whether there are guns in the house. If the answer is yes (and it has only been "yes" twice), we ask for the child to come to our home or to meet somewhere else to get together. It has never been an issue, and we assume the parents are not lying to us when we ask. We explain that it has nothing to do with our trust of the parents, but that it's a personal value, and both gun owners were completely understanding and our daughter is friends with both girls. They merely play at our home or at a third-party location.

Yes, my wife and I ask. We don't think people who own guns are bad people, but guns are not compatible with our value system, just as some parents eschew having their children visit homes where there is alcohol (using that as an example of something else that is legal and usually enjoyed responsibly but to which some people have an objection on principle). We don't know any police officers or members of the military and our children have not made friends with any children of police officers or of people in the military as of yet, so that is an interesting question that we will likely address if and when the time comes. My candid reaction, however, is that no, we would still not allow our children to be in their home at least initially but if we felt comfortable with the parents, we might reassess in the future.

For my wife and me, it is a values-based choice. We simply do not like guns and they do not fit within our life or our family's values. A pool, while certainly dangerous, is not inherently designed to kill. Also, to be fair, we do ask whether the parents take appropriate precautions if they are going to swim at a friend's pool, but we will generally suggest going to our country club to swim, instead, as we know the lifeguards well and are more comfortable with them. Since nearly all of DD's friends belong as well, that usually works for all involved.

Again, it's just a values thing for me and my family. I don't think gun-owners are bad people and I know that most use their guns responsibly. Honestly, yes I do wish there were fewer guns and more restrictions on them, but that is not the law of the land and I accept that. As a pacifist, however, I find them incompatible with my values so rather than insist they be removed from the world, I choose to remove them from my life.

And yes, we speak to our kids about guns, that they are not bad but that they are very dangerous, and to never play with one if they find it. When they are older, perhaps even as teenagers if they show responsibility and competency, they will make their own value decisions about guns and may choose to use them. But for the time being, I do not want my children playing in a home with a gun.
I completely understand a viewpoint like yours, and I think you explained it well.

Upcoming:
Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #104
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy View Post

I can completely understand asking people who will host your children in their homes if they have guns. I can even understand not wanting your children to go to this kind of party. I can even understand your right to not agree with guns.

I just found the comment by the poster that they don't hang out with people who have guns interesting. Not that she doesn't go to their house, but that she doesn't hang out with them. So I wondered if she asked each person she meets if they have guns even if its just to go to a movie.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #105
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I think my kids wouldn't be attending, nor would they be socializing with any kid whose family vaguely thought this was appropriate.
I totally agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
But how do you know that any kid your child may be friends with doesn't have a parent with a gun? You know not everyone that owns a gun is looking to be a gansta right? Some people actually use them for sport.
I ASK them-if they have guns then my child did not hang out at their home.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: