Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #76
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger&Belle View Post
My first thought was "well, it is Texas....kids are born holding guns". And then I remembered that 2 of my kids were born in Texas and I don't remember them emerging holding a rifle....that would have HURT!
True. I realize not everyone thinks alike but it's definitely the norm for many in the USA. If you asked the same question to Canadians I can assure you that the vast majority would think it was a joke.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #77
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
It's different than any other "activity-type" party because the chance of Johnny killing Susie with a bowling ball because he can't sit still long enough to listen to the instructions is less likely than killing her with a gun.

I've hosted some kids for birthday parties, and while mine may not be angels all the time, I have seen some absolutely horrendous behavior by some kids.

So while my son plays airsoft, has been to paintball parties, and has been to the gun range with his dad, I would never have allowed him to go to this type of birthday party when he was 8.

While I don't begrudge you saying "no" I do doubt little Johnny gets to hold the gun unless he's actually shooting. But I'd certainly say "no" if anything about it made me uncomfortable. For the record, 8 is when mine get to start with bb guns. The .22 is a year later if I'm happy with how they handle the bb gun.
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #78
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Oh, you didn't specify it was rifles or shotgun only.

That is somewhat easier to obtain. It only costs $250 for the permit and it's said to only take like 6 months or so (sometimes less!).

You don't need the interview and some of the other stuff you do for a handgun application, but you do need to apply in person and have any adult you live with sign off and etc.

This is a link to the permit application if you're curious.

I dunno about Jersey; I thought they were more lax.
To be fair, the guy who lugged his gear through Manhattan may very well have been a bow hunter. It's the most popular method at that particular destination.

NJ creates issues when it comes time to go anywhere with your gun. It's not hard to own one, but transport is a mess. I don't believe it's impossible, but there seems to be a lot of red tape.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #79
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
To be fair, the guy who lugged his gear through Manhattan may very well have been a bow hunter. It's the most popular method at that particular destination.

NJ creates issues when it comes time to go anywhere with your gun. It's not hard to own one, but transport is a mess. I don't believe it's impossible, but there seems to be a lot of red tape.
Transport here is in a locked case, ammo in a separate, similar thing, either on your person or in a locked trunk - with a handgun you're like, only allowed to go to and from a range even with that setup.

I have no idea about bows, eek.

I have no idea about hunting at all, obviously.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #80
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Transport here is in a locked case, ammo in a separate, similar thing, either on your person or in a locked trunk - with a handgun you're like, only allowed to go to and from a range even with that setup.
That's pretty much the same as airline travel. Locked cases (checked, obviously), ammo in separate case from firearm.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #81
cornflake
DIS Veteran

This is all I can find about bows (I only looked out of idle curiosity, nothing to do with your family friend). There doesn't appear to be a NYC regulation, but the state says (save the last about the crossbow, these are about hunting with them here, not owning.) -

Quote:
A hunter education course is required for persons who cannot show proof that they have ever possessed a hunting license. The general course is a minimum 10 hours in length....

Hunters wishing to bowhunt for deer and bear must take an additional 8 hour minimum bowhunter education course...

Crossbows are illegal. Except for Modified Crossbow Permit. This permit allows qualified people to hunt big or small game with a crossbow that has been specifically modified with a device that only allows it to be discharged (fired) by means of a breath tube. This permit does not allow the use of an unmodified crossbow
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #82
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Really? No other party ideas out there?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #83
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's pretty much the same as airline travel. Locked cases (checked, obviously), ammo in separate case from firearm.
That's if you hold a permit and license for the stuff here. If you (not you you, the general you) don't and are like, visiting, don't even bring it in no matter how it's carried or you'll visit the inside of Rikers.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #84
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
This is all I can find about bows (I only looked out of idle curiosity, nothing to do with your family friend). There doesn't appear to be a NYC regulation, but the state says (save the last about the crossbow, these are about hunting with them here, not owning.) -
Crossbows are legal here during rifle season and alternative methods season, but not archery season. Also allowed during alternative method season are bows, handguns, muzzleloaders, and something called an Altai (it's a way of launching a spear LOL).
Old 12-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #85
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

I cant control i bunch of kids that age at Chuck E Cheese, why would i want them at a Gun range!???

Its not a party place to me. It a training facility to learn the do's and don't of firearms, and to practice your skills.

I fine with training children as young as 15 , younger and I do not think they fully grasp the implications of using a firearm improperly. Heck , i know alot of adults who don't get it. Just look on utube.

Bad idea in general, take them to a bar or strip club instead......
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #86
tiffjoy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec
I cant control i bunch of kids that age at Chuck E Cheese, why would i want them at a Gun range!???

Its not a party place to me. It a training facility to learn the do's and don't of firearms, and to practice your skills.

I fine with training children as young as 15 , younger and I do not think they fully grasp the implications of using a firearm improperly. Heck , i know alot of adults who don't get it. Just look on utube.

Bad idea in general, take them to a bar or strip club instead......
Yes, because strip clubs are the same. Slight exaggeration.

I have take no issue with people saying they wouldn't allow their kids to attend. But we are not talking about a free for all with guns. The website (I posted it earlier) detailed how they conduct the parties. They require one adult for every two kids. Only one kid shoots at a time. The kids are required to recite four safety rules from memory to participate. They are supervised the entire time they are shooting. They are not running around with guns.

Many kids are taught how to handle guns safely and with supervision. I was one of those kids. This does not equate to taking them to a strip club or a bar.

WDW Trips: First trip January 2004! 1/2005, 1/2006, 2/2006, 1/2007, 12/2010, 1/2013
DLR Trips: First trip January 2006! 9/2007, 8/2010, 9/2011, 9/2012, 4/2013, 12/2013

Upcoming:
DLR August 2014 for 5 days for DD4's 5th birthday
WDW January 2015 for 4 days for DD2's 3rd birthday
tiffjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #87
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
That's if you hold a permit and license for the stuff here. If you (not you you, the general you) don't and are like, visiting, don't even bring it in no matter how it's carried or you'll visit the inside of Rikers.
Yeah your part of he country is notorious for that. Unfortunately, a lot of international flights connect up there. There was a story a while back about a guy who got to Newark (IIRC) and his outbound flight got cancelled. The airline made him take possession of his bags, and then he was arrested at the hotel for a lack of local transportation permits
Old 12-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #88
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post
Yes, because strip clubs are the same. Slight exaggeration.

I have take no issue with people saying they wouldn't allow their kids to attend. But we are not talking about a free for all with guns. The website (I posted it earlier) detailed how they conduct the parties.

Many kids are taught how to handle guns safely and with supervision. I was one of those kids. This does not equate to taking them to a strip club or a bar.
As much as I hate to say this - strip club for kids party wins hands down over kids gun range birthday party.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #89
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
As much as I hate to say this - strip club for kids party wins hands down over kids gun range birthday party.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #90
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah your part of he country is notorious for that. Unfortunately, a lot of international flights connect up there. There was a story a while back about a guy who got to Newark (IIRC) and his outbound flight got cancelled. The airline made him take possession of his bags, and then he was arrested at the hotel for a lack of local transportation permits
I recall a story but it may not be the same one - one I remember the ding dong just sortof thought he could hang around Manhattan with a handgun. He was some minor politicianish guy and it was quite the amusement-getter here because yeah, we are.

Quote:
Amen. Given that choice, I'm making up some 'guess the ccs' party game.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: