Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
Three cats
DIS Veteran

Yes indeed, we avoid them at all costs.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Three cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

I don't entirely avoid buffets, but I limit them at Disney to one breakfast buffet per trip.

I do not do buffets when at home at all, so I think I do well do try one at WDW. Typically, to me, there is a lot of sanitation issues from not only kids but adults that I have a problem with. This is anywhere, not just Disney. So instead of getting all upset & grossed out about it, I avoid them. If I were going to WDW during flu season, I may would avoid even doing buffets all together. I know there are germs everywhere at Disney, but it just seems more risky when you are putting food into your mouth that someone else could have "messed" with if you will.

On another note, the germ aspect isn't the only reason I'm not a buffet fan, the food doesn't seem as good to me as ordering something off a menu. And I eat more than I would normally and don't enjoy it as much. So these two things probably help factor into not doing buffets.
CSR - January 2012 for 1st Anniversary
CBR -May 2013 w/ our baby boy
DCL - February 2014
cajunprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

We don't do buffets at home, but when in Disney, for us, they are a must. Lots of the character meals are buffet, and with kids, ya gotta do character meals!
I have the hand sanatizer on my belt loop, so we always use it right before we eat, and if you want to go really crazy, just use a sani wipe when holding the buffet spoons. Not only are you saving yourself, but your helping the next person as well.
DisneyLvr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
Scottiesmommy08
Mouseketeer

I despise buffets! My husband loves Golden Corral so we eat there maybe every two months. I just find it gross. And If I go to a restaurant I feel like half the price I am paying is to get served my food. If I'm going out, I don't want to make several trips to refill myself and kids like I would at home. I don't think that's going "out." But, like I said.. I will eat there and we do have ADRs for two buffets on our next trip. I guess because of our budget we don't eat out frequently and I feel like it should be more of a different experience. Or I could just be weird.

First trip, May 01', WL**August 08' offsite, Mike Ditka's resort**January 12' Honeymoon trip, CBR,**January 13' DD first magical trip + anniversary, POP**Looking forward to January 14' for a WONDER-ful first trip + anniversary on DCL
Scottiesmommy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
Lucille1963
DIS Veteran

We avoid them for the most part. Biergarten is the exception figuring that a couple litres of beer will kill the bacteria

I've experienced too many food items in the temperature "Danger Zone", which is between 40-140 degrees.

I'm far from a germaphobe, but buffets have huge red flags for me.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr55
I have the hand sanatizer on my belt loop, so we always use it right before we eat, and if you want to go really crazy, just use a sani wipe when holding the buffet spoons. Not only are you saving yourself, but your helping the next person as well.
Unless you would lick the sani wipe, please reconsider using it on the buffet spoons! The idea of those extra chemicals making it into my dinner is just icky!

We generally avoid buffets since I'm not a huge eater, but we love dinner at Boma! I don't worry that much about the germs. They are already everywhere. I don't think a few serving utensils will make that much of a difference.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #22
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr55 View Post
We don't do buffets at home, but when in Disney, for us, they are a must. Lots of the character meals are buffet, and with kids, ya gotta do character meals!
Please do NOT do this. I don't want those chemicals right there in the food. You also do not know if the person after you may be allergic to. It is just not cool to use chemicals like that on items that are not yours and will be used by others.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #23
Patrickprincess
HAVE A MAGICAL DAY

not going to the buffets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
Please do NOT do this. I don't want those chemicals right there in the food. You also do not know if the person after you may be allergic to. It is just not cool to use chemicals like that on items that are not yours and will be used by others.
I can take em or leave em. My parents took me to a lot of buffets some good some bad. That beening said i take my wipes and before i eat i wipe my hands with them. Any one who has been on a disney cruise they give you a wipe before you enter any resturant.
2012 WDW Riverside Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest Room. Disney cruiseline The Fantasy. 2007 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. 2006 Disneyland @ The Paradise pier hotel. 2004 WDW @ Port Orleans French quater. 2002 WDW@ Port Orleans Riverside/Disney Cruiseline The Wonder. 2000 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. Disneyland 1999 1998,1996. Upcomming WDW Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest.
a proud stockholder and a mariner and seahawk fan for life
Patrickprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #24
wdw&sonny
Mouseketeer

All you can eat buffets don't make you sick, they just make you fat.

We avoid them, but not because of the germs, more because the idea of "all you can eat' doesn't appeal to us. We like Boma because of the "all you care to experience" idea.

In fact, we are more of a probiotic family than antibiotic...too many people are quick to avoid all instances of being exposed to natural bacteria and quick to grab the sani wipes, antibacterial soaps and bleach all of which has lead us to the highly resistant strains of bacteria. Eat more yougurt and dirt and read Patient Heal Thyself by Jordan Rubin...but I digress.
wdw&sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #25
mana'olana
Mouseketeer

Well said wdw & sonny! We eat the buffets and TS. Being in a public place all day, it is hard to say what makes a person sick. Trust me, I get food poisoning very easy, thanks to a very bad experience where I ended up in the hospital, I am now extremely susceptible. I have never gotten it at Disney in all the times I have went. Many buffets, TS, carts....hopefully I am not jinxing myself ;-)

Oct '97 ASM Honeymoon Dec '05 AKL Baby Girl's 1st Trip Sep '06 Poly Concierge Aug '07 Contemporary Pirate & Princess Party Oct '09 POR July '12 Beach Club Mar '13 CBR Mar '14 Cruisin'
mana'olana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #26
MinniesYooHoo
With the cows and the chickens, they all sound like the dickens when I hear my little Minnie...YOO HOO!

Nope. Not at all. We certainly don't eat exclusively buffet (maybe two per trip), but after 30+ trips nobody in our parties have ever gotten sick in any way. I agree with PP, a bug could've been picked up anywhere in the park. There's no way to tell. However, I'm so sorry your daughter got sick at The Happiest Place on Earth. Hopefully it didn't last long.

I've been Boo'd!!!
Me DH DD(8) Granny: G-Daddy: Charlotte Mr. Tanner(The closest we could get to a hamster!)
MinniesYooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #27
budafam
DIS Veteran

We love buffets. Been there 4 times now and only had 1 kid get sick on one trip. It wasn't awful sick either... just a fever that came and went a few times. I wouldn't avoid buffets forever because of it. There's much too goodness offered at them!
budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #28
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post
Germs are everywhere. I refuse to let it control my life.
Same here. And guess what? I haven't had a cold or the flu or any other virus or bacteria illness in well over 20 years.

The human body needs to build up immunities and if a person doesn't allow that then the first "bug" that comes along will just knock that person over.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #29
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I'm not a big fan of buffets in my normal life and avoid them. I don't eat alot and don't feel like I eat enough to cover the costs.

In Disney I do like Boma and Crystal Palace. But I don't eat at them every trip. I have the same issue with the amount of food I eat vs. cost of buffet at Disney.

I also prefer to have my food brought to me. I hate having to get up and serve myself at the prices Disney charges. LOL

Connie

WDW: 15 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: AKL, BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #30
bcrook
DIS Veteran

We are officially finished with buffets. Mainly because of cost! $200.00+ for a family of four for dinner, that is simply too much. But we are grossed out by cleanliness too.

The only one I would go back to now would be boma for breakfast only. Go early, everything would still be clean. It is peaceful. Great coffee. Plus we stay at AKV a lot. That being said, in our last ten trips, I have only been there once.

Last year at the Wave, some of our party ordered off the menu to avoid the buffet, but the server got the food from buffet anyway!!! That was disturbing.

My dd just reminded me of our awful experience at the garden grove seafood buffet last year. That was probably the tipping point. We are done with them all.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: