DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

Luau Recommendation

We will be at Aulani in March and are looking to do a Luau one night. Looking for feedback on what is the best Luau to go to- want something authentic as we have heard about some pretty cheesy ones- hoping to avoid somehting as bad as what they offer at the Polynesian in WDW.
Please share your experiences and reviews- with food quality, ease to get to, cost and overall experience.
Thanks!
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

Although I didn't go to a Luau while at Aulani(I ran out of time), I did research the Paradise Cove Luau(next door at the Sheraton) and the Polynesian Cultural Center Luau. I went to the PCC through the Aulani excursion, but the dinner we got was the Prime Rib one--not the luau. I think some people in the group switched to the luau.

A couple of the luaus are listed on the Aulani excursion page(Germaine's, etc.). You may want to google them on tripadvisor to see what people are saying.

Check to see if the Starlit Hui is performing when you are at Aulani. It's basically a luau minus the food.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
mouseaider
DIS Veteran

We went to Paradise Cove and thought it was good until we ate.

I reserved the VIP, Royal Box as we went on our anniversary and the food was horrible. I actually thought the luau at the Polynesian was better.

Good luck with your decision.
mouseaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I didn't think the food was great at Polynesian Cultural Center but then I've never been impressed with Luau food (I've been to several). However, the show at PCC can't be beat.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
Dean
DIS Veteran

I'm not impressed with PC or Germaine's. I think the PCC is the best option. The food is above par for a luau but the setup is different with a separate show and theater seating. The show at the Marriott is smaller and has generally had positive reviews.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

I'm another who is not particularily impressed with luau food, but our son wanted to make sure he saw a good show, so we are doing the luau and show at the PCC. It's been quite a few years since we have done the PCC anyway, so it's probably time to see it again. FYI, I booked us for mid week directly on the PCC site, and got a HUGE discount. First there was a 40% discount on the package, and then they gave an additional 10% when I checked out. It is ending up being a lot cheaper than the Germain show.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Make sure to google ticket consolidators before you book a luau. They frequently have cheaper tickets than the Luau website itself. We "usually" take first timers to Paradise Cove (merely out of convenience/habit more than anything) and pay a lot less through ticket consolidators than from PC itself. And FWIW, the food at PC is not great. Tables are plastic, chairs are plastic, the food is buffet (unless you get the Royal package, but that's seriously not worth it). The show is a bit cheesy, but the luau is walkable from Aulani and PC's location is right on a beach. The fire dancing at PC is pretty good.

I much prefer the Starlit Hui show.

If you really need "luau" food, Yelp some local Hawaiian food restaurants and maybe combine a dinner out with a return to the hotel for the Starlit Hui show.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

How far from Aulani is the PCC? Is it easy to drive to? We are 2adults, an almost 4 year old & an almost 12 month old at time of travel & have never been to Hawaii. Would spending the afternoon at PCC followed by dinner & the show be fun or too much?

DVC owners at AKV, VGC & Aulani
Iggipolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggipolka View Post
How far from Aulani is the PCC? Is it easy to drive to? We are 2adults, an almost 4 year old & an almost 12 month old at time of travel & have never been to Hawaii. Would spending the afternoon at PCC followed by dinner & the show be fun or too much?
It's on the other side of the island. I would not want my 12 month old to be in the car that long... in fact, I have a 3 YO and an 8 month old and there's NO WAY they can sit for that long of a car ride (assuming you don't break up the drive).

Distance wise its not FAR, but in Hawaii you have to drive very slowly especially when you start circling the island.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggipolka View Post
Mapquest says approx 1 hr and 20 minutes and I'd say that's about correct unless you hit heavy traffic.

KAT4DISNEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
woodkins
DIS Veteran

We just did Paradise cove over Thanksgiving and paid for the "Royal deluxe" package...which pretty much means they bring the disgusting buffet food to your table for you. The service was awful and food even worse. The show itself was okay, my 10 yr old was bored about halfway through. It was soooo overpriced, and completely a tourist trap.

7/14 BC, 4/14 ASSP, 10/13 POLY, 8/13 WL, 4/13 WORLDS @ASMu, 11/12 Aulani 9/12 AKL, 7/12 BC, 10/11 POLY, 9/10 POLY, 12/09 POP, 9/09 GF, 2/09 POFQ, 12/08 POLY, 5/08 POLY, 12/07 POLY, 5/07 ASSp, 12/07 CB, 9/07 AKL, 12/06 ASMo, 9/06 WL,
woodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeschlicht View Post
I'm another who is not particularily impressed with luau food, but our son wanted to make sure he saw a good show, so we are doing the luau and show at the PCC. It's been quite a few years since we have done the PCC anyway, so it's probably time to see it again. FYI, I booked us for mid week directly on the PCC site, and got a HUGE discount. First there was a 40% discount on the package, and then they gave an additional 10% when I checked out. It is ending up being a lot cheaper than the Germain show.
The entertainment book had a BOGOF for admission for the park itself. They would credit that amount toward a package, giving you the credit when you checked in at the park. The only package they wouldn't do this for was the one that included a free buffet with the admission. Also, if the package you bought includes reserved seating, I'd email them and lock down your seats. For the Luau package we prefer the lower section towards the center isle about a third the way from the bottom (raised stage) or the upper section front middle. We have access to the entertainment coupon's through II and Bluegreen.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The entertainment book had a BOGOF for admission for the park itself. They would credit that amount toward a package, giving you the credit when you checked in at the park. The only package they wouldn't do this for was the one that included a free buffet with the admission. Also, if the package you bought includes reserved seating, I'd email them and lock down your seats. For the Luau package we prefer the lower section towards the center isle about a third the way from the bottom (raised stage) or the upper section front middle. We have access to the entertainment coupon's through II and Bluegreen.
I was able to lock my seats in online when I purchased, and I'm getting the package that includes admission plus the luau plus reserved seating at the show. I paid just over $100 a person, which I thought was reasonable.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeschlicht View Post
I was able to lock my seats in online when I purchased, and I'm getting the package that includes admission plus the luau plus reserved seating at the show. I paid just over $100 a person, which I thought was reasonable.
I still think the discount will come off that option, I'd email them and ask. Also, I may be able to get you up to 2 coupon's if you need them, let me know.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
aclov
DIS Veteran

What's the difference in the Paradise Cove options, I understand the table service one. Seems like its convenient location wise. Are there any luaus in Waikiki?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: