Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
JamesMom
DIS Veteran

Spin off: Telemarketing - Have you ever bought?

I was reading the thread about 'playing along' with scammers, etc and was wondering a few things.
First, telemarketing has been around a long time. In college (back in the 90s) I worked in telemarketing and got everything but the flushing toilet, but the job had flexible hours, decent pay and I liked talking on the phone

Anyways, with advent of spam email, informercials, door hangers, value pacs, etc. not to mention "Do not call lists" and caller-id, why is telemarketing still a viable sales method? I can see email spam working - send out 10,000 emails for that 1 elusive sale all for the cost of cllick of a mouse. Telemarketing requires a cold calling employee spending valuable minutes for that elusive sale - lets say he has to cold call 2 hours about 100 numbers for a $300 sale: you have to pay lights, salary/commission, phone bill, etc to get what profit is left. Seems very ineffecient, but it must work at some level because plenty of businesses are still doing it.

Finally to my question: have you ever bought anything from someone over the phone? How about door-to-door sales (non fundraiser)?

I only recall 1 time in the last 3 years when Banfield pet hospital (I have the plan) called with an offer for flea/tic meds. I said yes once and no each successive year becuase I am really bad at giving my dog the treatments and I got pest control from a door to door guy many years ago - we now spray ourselves.
But for the most part, I we don't answer the phone unless it is a number we recognize. If it is important, leave a message.

Trip Report: May 9-15, 2010 - Mother & Son at POR w/Free QS Dinning: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36675492

Trip Report: December 14-20, 2008 - Mother and Son (6yo) at Contemporary w/Free Dinning: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2038015
JamesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

No, I haven't bought anything from telemarketers or door to door salesmen. We don't get many of the latter.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

NEVER. I usually just hang up on them if it's a robo call (which they ALL seem to be now), or if it's a human I interrupt their greeting and spiel with a firm "put this number on your do not call list" THEN I hang up (or they hang up on me more often then not).

Like you I have to wonder WHO is buying their stuff that they keep up with it?? Who hears "Rachel from Card Services" and says yep...sounds good to me? Maybe the elderly who don't understand? Same for the scam artists. I really have to assume that they are targeting the elderly.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Piper
DIS Veteran

Not even once. If I need something, I'll get it myself. I don't need people calling me and offering me "stuff" I don't need. I will never be on hoarders--I keep my "wants" to a minimum!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Nope, not once, never.

Even if they called with something I wanted I wouldn't buy from a telemarketer.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Nope, not once, never.

Even if they called with something I wanted I wouldn't buy from a telemarketer.
Yeah, that's me, too. Never have, never will. I find telemarketing so annoying and intrusive that I won't do anything to encourage it.
Lynne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

No, but I have brother in law who falls for this stuff all the time. He even let someone who called remotely access his computer and they promptly wrecked his computer.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Bought one thing that I can think of -- some cleaning products from a couple guys going door-to-door one summer years ago. Not exactly sure why, now that I think of it?
soccerdad72 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: