Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #31
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
I didnt miss it...you can certainly choose to spend how you see fit I was just offering an alternative that inluded 3 wins!
Except for PP, who didn't get her coffee.

I agree with the PP (and others) - donate where and how you want and stop "offering alternatives" to others (i.e. a nice way of judging) about how they spend their money.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #32
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
Why? Why should they go donate money instead of buying a coffee? You do what you want and let others do as they see fit. Do you not think anyone who goes to Starbucks daily donated anything? Do you not have any extras in your life? If so, by your logic you better give them up and go buy piles of mittens instead.
Holy mackeral, I wasnt saying that at all. Give how you see fit! Give mittens, give $ to another, donate food to another I dont care what you do or how you give. I was responding that you can also help employees by buying the mittens just as much as the poster says he is helping the employees of Starbucks and stimulate the economy by doing either. I was being sarcastic right back but I guess I failed for both of you.

But yes I do see Starbucks as unnecessary indulgence, you can get a coffee much cheaper and put that money toward hats and gloves. One cup of coffee is not that much of a sacrifice. BUT I would never tell anyone but my own family how to spend or donate their money. And by this I might suggest to my DH he not stop at his local coffee place(he hates Starbucks) and take one from home if that means he could contribute to a good cause. I would never say that to my coworker or friend though.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #33
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Don't know if I missed it or not, but is your donation bin out in the open where the public can contribute?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #34
dogluva
DIS Veteran

I resent when people try to tell me how to spend my money. I donate who I want to and when I want to. Period. I don't care if the whole company is donating. Also, I don't like people telling what I can and can't afford. If I want to buy take-out three meals day, that is nobodys business. We were TOLD by our supervisor to donate one dollar to a local charity. We were not asked. I was so offended. It is not about the money, it is someone else picking and choosing who I should donate to.

OP, stop judging other people buy their Starbucks purchases. It is not your business what they buy with THEIR money. You buy all the mittens and scarves you want. It seems like you want others to tell you what a wonderful person you are. I could be wrong but your post rubbed me the wrong way.

Donate because it makes you feel good not because you want people to think better of you. Humility goes a long way.
dogluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #35
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

I had a previous boss who was on the United Way board. We had always donated previously, but his heavy handed guilt tactics were too much for a LOT of folks and many of us started donating zero as a result.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #36
marlynnp
No take backs, bowing out or other weenie manuevers.

Quote:
Holy mackeral, I wasnt saying that at all. Give how you see fit! Give mittens, give $ to another, donate food to another I dont care what you do or how you give. I was responding that you can also help employees by buying the mittens just as much as the poster says he is helping the employees of Starbucks and stimulate the economy by doing either. I was being sarcastic right back but I guess I failed for both of you.

But yes I do see Starbucks as unnecessary indulgence, you can get a coffee much cheaper and put that money toward hats and gloves. One cup of coffee is not that much of a sacrifice. BUT I would never tell anyone but my own family how to spend or donate their money. And by this I might suggest to my DH he not stop at his local coffee place(he hates Starbucks) and take one from home if that means he could contribute to a good cause. I would never say that to my coworker or friend though.

How many mittens could one buy if they only took 1 trip to Disney a year?

'tis better to remain silent and appear a fool; than to speak and remove all doubt.
marlynnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #37
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
But yes I do see Starbucks as unnecessary indulgence, you can get a coffee much cheaper and put that money toward hats and gloves.
See, I see a DVC membership as an unnecessary indulgence. I own a few timeshares, bought them for $1 each. Not the thousands that a DVC owner spent. How much money is spent unnecessarily on multiple trips to Disney World? You could have bought a timeshare much cheaper and put that money toward hats and gloves.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #38
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

You donated quite nicely, if you want to donate more, then do so as long as you can afford it.

As for your co workers, as others have said, you have no idea what they have donated to other charities or what their situation is. They might have family members in need, they might have other charities they donate to, they might have all they can handle paying their bills and clothing their children. That cup of coffee you seem to begrudge them might be the one thing that keeps them sane and happy. You just don't know.

My work has a donations box for toys that will be donated to a worthy cause. I haven't put one in and won't simply because I am doing a couple of toys for Toys for Tots. If I come in carrying a Starbucks one time too many but no toy, I hope my co workers won't judge me harsly.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #39
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
See, I see a DVC membership as an unnecessary indulgence. I own a few timeshares, bought them for $1 each. Not the thousands that a DVC owner spent. How much money is spent unnecessarily on multiple trips to Disney World? You could have bought a timeshare much cheaper and put that money toward hats and gloves.
Of course, you're not judging, just offering an alternate suggestion :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
I had a previous boss who was on the United Way board. We had always donated previously, but his heavy handed guilt tactics were too much for a LOT of folks and many of us started donating zero as a result.
Our office has also become quite heavy handed about United Way. The way that they (well the few people on the committee) approach it has definitely caused me not to donate to the campaign. And, no, I really don't care what they think (since one of the fundraisers is a "dress down" month, it is pretty obvious).
Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #40
Ceila
DIS Veteran

OP, why are you assuming that those who buy a Starbucks aren't donating because of the cost of their coffee? Maybe they just don't choose to donate to that particular charity. Maybe they just haven't brought stuff in yet. No matter what, it's none of your business. Donate what you want, don't brag, and MYOB when it comes to your co-workers.
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #41
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlynnp View Post
How many mittens could one buy if they only took 1 trip to Disney a year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
You people must be the Starcrack nutjobs that people talk about. It is a cup of coffee!!!! but if you want to compare it to a investment than go ahead bc that is what our DVC membership is for us. Also memories and time with my family is priceless, and I would sacrifice a million cups of coffee if I drank the stuff to make those happen.

If you bother to read correctly you will see that I am on your side that the OP should not be judging, bc people should feel able to to donate or not donate where they see fit. I said I would NEVER tell my coworkers, friends or family members outside of my immediate family how to spend their money! But YES it MY PERSONAL OPINION ONLY, I think spending all that money on a cup of coffee daily is ludicrous, but if that Starbucks means that much to you have at it. I am glad I dont drink the stuff bc $4+ for a coffee that you can make at home and put in a travel mug is not something I would NOT want to spend money on. My DH thinks the stuff is gross and bitter so I dont get the appeal, but once again if you enjoy it drink up!!!!

My point once again was dont say you are helping employees and stimulating the economy as your excuse for not donating....bc you could do that if you were so inclined at another store and contribute to the charity! But once again if you cant or do not want to give to this particular charity for WHATEVER reason than dont! I am sure you give what you can elsewhere as you see fit! Just dont say even tongue in cheek that is is bc you are helping Starbucks and their employees
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA

Last edited by Mkrop; 12-13-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #42
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you bother to read correctly you will see that I am on your side that the OP should not be judging, bc people should feel able to to donate or not donate where they see fit. I said I would NEVER tell my coworkers, friends or family members outside of my immediate family how to spend their money! But YES it MY PERSONAL OPINION ONLY, I think spending all that money on a cup of coffee daily is ludicrous, but if that Starbucks means that much to you have at it. I am glad I dont drink the stuff bc $4+ for a coffee that you can make at home and put in a travel mug is not something I want to spend money on. My DH thinks the stuff is gross and bitter so I dont get the appeal, but once again if you enjoy it drink up!!!!
The problem is not that we cannot read correctly, but that you contradict yourself. You cannot say that you are not judging and then make a judgment on people who buy coffee at Starbucks. Just because you don't say it to their faces, it doesn't mean you aren't judging. I don't get the appeal of judging how others spend their money, but once again, if you do judge away. Just stop trying to tell us that you aren't doing so.

ETA - Should we check with you every time we want to say something tongue-in-cheek? Or just if it is about Starbucks? Or maybe just about donations?

ETA2 - In fact, you are doing exactly what you now say the OP shouldn't have done - posting on here, criticizing those who buy coffee. The OP also didn't say anything to them. So, how can you say you are critical of the OP when you are doing the EXACT same thing?

Last edited by crashbb; 12-13-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #43
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
The problem is not that we cannot read correctly, but that you contradict yourself. You cannot say that you are not judging and then make a judgment on people who buy coffee at Starbucks. Just because you don't say it to their faces, it doesn't mean you aren't judging.

I don't get the appeal of judging how others spend their money, but once again, if you do judge away. Just stop trying to tell us that you aren't doing so.

ETA - Should we check with you evertime we want to say something tongue-in-cheek? Or just if it is about Starbucks? Or maybe just about donations?
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #44
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
You people must be the Starcrack nutjobs that people talk about. It is a cup of coffee!!!! but if you want to compare it to a investment than go ahead bc that is what our DVC membership is for us. Also memories and time with my family is priceless, and I would sacrifice a million cups of coffee if I drank the stuff to make those happen.

If you bother to read correctly you will see that I am on your side that the OP should not be judging, bc people should feel able to to donate or not donate where they see fit. I said I would NEVER tell my coworkers, friends or family members outside of my immediate family how to spend their money! But YES it MY PERSONAL OPINION ONLY, I think spending all that money on a cup of coffee daily is ludicrous, but if that Starbucks means that much to you have at it. I am glad I dont drink the stuff bc $4+ for a coffee that you can make at home and put in a travel mug is not something I would NOT want to spend money on. My DH thinks the stuff is gross and bitter so I dont get the appeal, but once again if you enjoy it drink up!!!!

My point once again was dont say you are helping employees and stimulating the economy as your excuse for not donating....bc you could do that if you were so inclined at another store and contribute to the charity! But once again if you cant or do not want to give to this particular charity for WHATEVER reason than dont! I am sure you give what you can elsewhere as you see fit! Just dont say even tongue in cheek that is is bc you are helping Starbucks and their employees
So it's ok for you to spend your money however you choose (DVC), but others don't get that same consideration (buying a cup of coffee)?

Ok.

Some people can afford to buy a cup of coffee AND donate to a charity ~ of their choosing. Not one their company decided for them.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #45
crashbb
DIS Veteran

And, just for the record, I am not a "Starcrack nutjob" - never bought a single cup of coffee there (don't drink coffee) and buy maybe 5 drinks there in a year (probably less).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: