Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #31
mellvswdw1
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Bless you for taking your time and money to help a precious furbaby. My DH and I have been trying for a long time to have human babies, but have not been successful. We are, however, proud furbaby parents to 5 kitties. Of the 5, two were rescued from DH dad's farm and 3 from a rescue kitty foundation in our town. I don't know what I would do without my babies. The three furbabies that came from the rescue foundation have sad backgrounds. We have one that came from an extreme hording situation(60+ cats) one thrown out in the snow, and one who was being poisoned by a not so nice person. We have bottlefed, loved, cuddled, and sometimes had war wounds from a skittish kitty or three. I hope that Moo continues to grow and love you, as I know that he will. My DH and I laugh all the time because our babies follow me from morning to night.....

Many trips to the Happy Place...over 25!!! I love DVC!! A surprise trip in May!

mellvswdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #32
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeysmom View Post

Thanks - I hope in time, he agrees!!

Here's a picture - it is from Sunday, so he looks a little sickly - you can see that his eyes aren't fully open due to the infection. I'll try to get a better one soon ...

What a beautiful boy. He trusts you - that is obvious. Thanks for sharing with us! Can't wait to see more of Moo!
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 01:40 AM   #33
AlohaPolynesian
DIS Veteran

Wow! Thank you for taking this kitty into your home and most importantly having him neutered! You are wonderful.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #34
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Bless your heart...baby steps ...how wonderful that 'Moo' has a home now. You have changed his life..and I am sure he will change yours too
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #35
Tuffcookie
Enjoys an early hour of peace
Women like the simple things in life...like men!:D
Is a smart cookie

mackeysmom, There is a special place in heaven for you! Bless you for your kindness to animals!

TC
Old 12-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #36
mlittig
DIS Veteran

Good luck with Moo and please keep us updated on your sweet furbaby

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop 9/11 Pop 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/14 Old Key West 4/17/15 Old Key West
mlittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #37
castmemberb4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
UPDATE ...

On Sunday, I baited the humane trap. Within five minutes, Moo walked right in and set it off. I immediately brought him to the vet. My vet was concerned that he might be sick (due to what appeared to be an infection in his eyes), but didn't want to examine him until he was mildly sedated due to his anxiety. Within a few hours I got a call back from my vet. While he was under, she tested him for feline leukemia and aids (negative for both), she neutered him. He was given his first set of shots, got meds for de-worming, and got an exam. He has a bad upper respitory infection, an eye infection and was dehydrated.

She said he was still a little dopey (from the anesthesia) and suggested that I pick him up right then and there so I could get him settled in his cage before he was fully alert.

I brought him home and set him up in the same cage I had trained Blackie in. It is a dog crate that has a small covered cat carrier in it (so he can "hide" and feel secure), a litter box, a small bed, food and water dishes, a scratching post and a little perch.

It has been 5 days and we are making progress. By Wednesday, he had figured out what the litterbox is for and is also eating/drinking well. He has been spending most of his time sleeping - but the vet isn't concerned. She said that between the meds and the fact that he is (probably for the first time) able to sleep without fear of predators/the elements she anticipates that he'll spend the better part of the next week or so just sleeping.

He won't let me pet him. I tried too soon and got a little bite. He is very "hissy" when I'm at the cage (changing litter or filling dishes), but I just keep up a steady, even-toned, soft conversation with him and ignore it. I used a long backscratcher to "pet" him under his chin and he seemed to like it.

I realize that I'm going to have to go much slower with him than with Blackie. The vet estimated that he is somewhere between 2 - 3 years old, so it will be a little tougher.

The temperature has dropped the past few days and we are expecting snow tomorrow, so even though I know I have a long road ahead of me, I am happy with the decision I made. As I type this, he is sound asleep, curled up in his little bed.

I'll keep you guys updated.

- Laura
Laura You are not crazy LOL You did the right thing, I'm sure he's grateful that he is starting to feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
Btw, you just gave me the push to contact a rescue for the kittens here, especially Toby. I've also posted on FB to see if anyone is interested in taking him in.
IheartMickey Good for You ! I'm happy you've decided to get the babies rescued, most rescues have humane traps that they can bring out and set up.
Keep us posted.

Cat rescue is VERY close to my heart
Bless you both.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #38
SLP958
DIS Veteran

So great to hear such a sweet animal story. Thank You for being kind to this animal.
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #39
mackeysmom
Let's Go Mets!

I wish I could take a picture - but I don't want to disturb him.

Right now Moo is in his carrier (in the cage) sleeping on his back with his belly exposed and his paws curled up under his armpits (with a fleece blanket under him). Something tells me he never slept in such a vulnerable position out on the streets.

So even though he won't let me touch him and I have doubts about how I'll be able to tame him - I'm so happy that he is warm and feels safe enough to sleep in that position.

- Laura
mackeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #40
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

I'm so glad he is out of the cold & snow. That poor guy wouldn't last too long out there.

He is a very handsome cat. Can't wait for you to snap a few more shots.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #41
castmemberb4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wish I could take a picture - but I don't want to disturb him.

Right now Moo is in his carrier (in the cage) sleeping on his back with his belly exposed and his paws curled up under his armpits (with a fleece blanket under him). Something tells me he never slept in such a vulnerable position out on the streets.

So even though he won't let me touch him and I have doubts about how I'll be able to tame him - I'm so happy that he is warm and feels safe enough to sleep in that position.

- Laura
Oh Yeah It really sounds like he came from a home. I can't imagine a ferel cat sleeping like that. The only truley ferel cat I've had contact with was a female who had kittens under the stairway of a friends apartment. She took her in kept her and 1 kitten, then adopted the other kittens out, one to us :-) Well the Mother and all of the kitten eventually made their way back to the wild. Our little boy pushed the patio door open and disappeared when he was 9 months old. I cried for days. It's just the way it is with ferel cats but if they chose to stay with you they are not truely ferel. Again Good Luck, and Bless You !
Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #42
mackeysmom
Let's Go Mets!

Thought I’d post a two-month update on Moo.

His eye infection wasn’t clearing up and further tests showed that he has Feline Herpes. Naturally that upset me – I am concerned about Blackie and Doodle catching it. He went on two doses of medication and his outbreak cleared up. I’ll have to do my best to keep his outbreaks under control and keep my other boys safe and healthy.

Other than that – I think we are making progress. He still won’t let me hold him – he is very hissy. But I have managed to pet him a little. He doesn’t have full run of the house yet – but he is out of the cage 80% of the time and has full run of the spare bedroom/computer room.

Here is Moo hanging out near his cage:

Blackie does not get along with him – Blackie gets very defensive, hisses and lunges at him. Moo doesn’t really seem too fazed by it – usually backs down for a minute or two and then get right back in Blackie’s face. One day while I was at work – Moo peed on Blackie’s bed. (I think it was done out of spite – there are two litter boxes in Moo’s room and he never exhibited any problems using them.) For the time being, I make sure they are separated when I’m not home.

When it comes to Doodle (who is just a lovable dope), Moo seems to have the upper-hand. He routinely swats at Doodle and corners him. I think Doodle is just a submissive cat – he and Blackie have the same relationship.

Here is Moo resting in Doodle’s cubby (while Doodle just watches):

I’ll post a more detailed update once he has run of the house, but thought you guys would like to know how Moo was doing.

- Laura
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #43
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

Aw he looks happy! Sunny doodle wants her cat house back though! Lol. Glad to see he is making progress.
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #44
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

my moms cat has feline herpes, so far our other cats (5 at one point when we were sharing a place) are fine. we got one with the kitty version of lupus too and a pink eye carrier.... Guess we get the sick ones!
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #45
mackeysmom
Let's Go Mets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDumbo View Post
Aw he looks happy! Sunny doodle wants her cat house back though! Lol. Glad to see he is making progress.
Poor Sunny Doodle is such a pushover - but he had such a bad life (horribly abused by previous owners), that I think it is just his nature. He's thrilled to have a (very!!) full belly, and a warm bed to sleep on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey View Post
Guess we get the sick ones!
I don't even know what it is like to have a "normal" cat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: