Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Disneyland Resort Express review

So we just went to the DLR flying through SNA and used the Disneyland Express for the first time and I would not use them again. We had an infant with us and no car seat so we had no other choice, which is why we were using them this time.

The ride from the airport to the hotel was fine because there were only three families on our bus and they went directly to the three hotels (we were at the Anabella). When he dropped us off he said to call and confirm your pick up time when your trip is over because they are supposed to stop at every pick up location and check if anyone is waiting for the shuttle but they usually just keep driving if they don't see anyone sitting there (so make sure you don't sit inside your hotel!).

The ride back was a mess. They spent a ot of time circling around the DLR for pick ups. Then the driver informed us that we would be transferring to another bus at the Disneyland hotel. This irked us because we only brought tip for ONE driver...not two. When we got to the DLH it was pouring rain and they had to switch people going to SNA and LAX and separate them onto two different buses so we all had to stand out in the rain (we had our baby and no umbrella and there is no cover to stand under) as they unload everyones bags and were yelling for people to put their bags on the bus they needed to be on.

Once we got on they went up and down the isles and people were buying tickets that hadn't pre-paid which took a while too. Then we got to the airport and the lady yelled for Southwest so my whole family got up and off the bus and she unloaded us and drove off and we started carrying our stuff and couldn't find the Southwest terminal and an airport worker told us it was down on the other side of the airport and that she had dropped us off at the wrong spot. We had to drag all of our luggage and the baby across the airport and the worst part was we gave her the tip! Haha, the joke was on us I guess.

So if you can I would suggest another shuttle service. We usually use Super shuttle, but like I said without a car seat we had no other choice!

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
Crazy4Pooh
Earning My Ears

Disneyland Express

Just to comment on your thread we had the same situation with the bus this trip. We've used them previous and never had a problem but this trip was terrible. We flew to LAX and had the same situation with the change of buses. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get to our hotel from the airport which is as long as our flight. Then on the return trip it was a wait game. It was a great disappointment. We had used the Super Shuttle once and didn't care for them either as we were the only family that was going to Disneyland the rest were to random homes around Anahiem so we got a tour lol. The return trip with Super Shuttle was very uncomfortable as there were too many of us in the van and my husband had one cheek on the edge of the seat hanging on to get back to the airport. Not sure what service we will use next I heard Karmel is pretty good. Better luck next trip for both of us.
Crazy4Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Aust
DIS Veteran

Sorry you had to go through all that hassle, it's hard enough travelling with a baby without rain and all the other issues.

Like you we had mixed experiences with Disneyland Resort Express. We've used them 2 other times (in 2007 and 2011) without problem. But in September this year we weren't so impressed.

At LAX for pickup, we had just arrived at the pickup spot when a plain white coach turned up. It had a company name in small writing on the side (can't remember what it was, but not Grayline or anything similar). I thought it wasn't the right bus beause I was looking for something that was obviously labelled, in the end we asked the driver who was really quite rude and abrupt in his response especially when I double-checked. No worries after that though, the trip was uneventful and no more problems.

Our pickup from PPH was a bit of a disaster - the bus was over half an hour late, I was freaking out as it was peak hour and we had an international flight to catch. We got taken to DLH for the change to a different bus - there were too many people and too much luggage and it was completely disorganised. It took half an hour for the driver and assistant to sort it out, and only after the passengers started helping loading the luggage. It was pretty much every person for themselves and no process for working out who went on the original bus and who had to wait for another one. There were several other international travellers with flights earlier than ours who were in real danger of being late.
2007 DLR (DLH)
1991 DL Tokyo
Aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Geemo
DIS Veteran

http://www.dklivery.com/

It sounds like this company provides car seats and booster seats.
The bonus is they also give one grocery stop if you want.

I have not used this service. I'm going by what it indicates on their website.

Check it out. It now looks like there is a choice for those needing car seats and booster seats for their kids.

Geemo

Geemo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Wow! Sorry to hear about your experience with them. That really is a shame! I'll definitely keep your review in mind in the future when looking at which shuttle service to use!
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Yikes I would have been panicked if I had been trying to catch an international flight! The rain ended up delaying our flight several hours anyway so it didn't matter for us. A shuttle van drove by while we were all standing in the rain switching buses and he was actually laughing! We haven't had a bad Super shuttle experience, but I would be interested in hearing from people who have used Karmel and other options. We called all of them though and none could provide a car seat or allow our son to ride without one (not that I would want to do that in a small shuttle van anyway). I will have to check out the one Geemo noted for next time- thanks!

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
lucysmom
DIS Veteran

My husband will be meeting us later in the week. He is flying into John Wayne (is that SNA?) and the Grand Californian Hotel told him it would be less expensive to just take a taxi. From reading these reports, I think it will definitely be less hassle. I am sorry for all of your troubles. That kind of an experience can put a sour taste on the start or end of a trip.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
nikkislaght
DIS Veteran

We get a taxi . for 6 of us its $45. and straight to our hotel without problems.. same for the return trip..

would never get the shuttles... ugh
nikkislaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
ukstitch
I'm not sure I'm quite your average, typical male
I think I need to eat some humble pie
I've got a few hours of DIS chatting ahead of me tonight

Shame to hear the negative reviews here... I've been using them for the past 5 years (as well as grayline for tours/excursions) and can't say I've had any major problems with them. We fly in/out of LAX so I can't really speak for their service via SNA.

It took us quite a while to get to our hotel this year because the bus was rather busy with loads of drops to make, but that's a risk you take when using them and this was the first year I've had that.

I must admit that the driver showed no interest in helping with luggage on our ride to Disney this year, but that was then reflected in the size of the tip I gave as a result...

Our return journey was fine - no problems with pickups, both drivers were helpful and prompt etc

I don't think I'd recommend them for a largish group, but that's mainly because you have to pay per person, so the larger your group the better value a taxi becomes. But for us where there's only 2 or sometimes 3 of us, it works out pretty well

Facebook | Flickr | 500px

ukstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
C&B Young
www.canadisney.com

Sad to hear about all the bad experiences here. We just got back from Disneyland and used DRE from LAX to the BWPPI and everything went as smooth as can be. Only hassle was after changing buses at the Disneyland Hotel en route to BWPPI we got stuck in Candlelight Processional induced traffic, and it took us a half-hour to get from the bus transfer to the hotel.
C&B Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
bcla
DIS Veteran

All airlines will allow one to check in a car seat for free, and you can use it if there's an empty seat.

Other than that, a Town Car service is $45 to SNA.

And for the person asking SNA = John Wayne Airport = Orange County Airport. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is. It's kind of close to Santa Ana, but it's not in any city limits.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
isisisme
Pomme Frites and Mint Julip? yes please!!

We have never had a problem with the Disneyland express. Until this last trip. We thought we would be set since we were staying at the DLH. Drop off was easy, second stop. And the DLH is the last stop before heading to the airport. We saw literally 6 buses pull up, but non were picking people up. Some were empty, but still not picking up. 20 mind late, a bus shows up to go to SNA, he did not sort the luggage, he was frazzled it seems.
Trip before we used Karmel for the return trip and it was easy and quick. I think not time it will be a taxi or Karmel again.
isisisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
Lewdannie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geemo View Post
http://www.dklivery.com/

It sounds like this company provides car seats and booster seats.
The bonus is they also give one grocery stop if you want.

Geemo
We used these guys in February, pain free and efficient. Got to the DLH in quick time so the check in desk was quiet

Dean
Lewdannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
mrswh
DIS Veteran

We have never had trouble with the DLRE going between SNA and the GCH. The bus is always on time from the airport and the GCH is usually the second or third stop. I believe it stops at all the DLR hotels before going to the good neighbors. On the way back to the airport, it has been a few minutes late each time. We stop at the DLH to pick up some passengers and 5 minutes later we are on our way. We've never had to change buses. The buses at SNA are the ones with the Disney characters all over them. One time our driver told us that the buses at LAX are no longer marked because they are a distraction and caused accidents. I have not checked the veracity of this at all, but it's a possible explanation (as dumb as it is) I suppose.

I would not ever take the DLRE over a cab or a Towncar, but for the fact that I am able to bring my kids without their booster seats. It's sooo much easier for me to not drag along boosters that it's worth the extra inconvenience. If you do not have this issue, though, I would always recommend a cab or car service as it would be far more efficient. The worst part about the DLRE is that after 3:00 it leaves the airport only once every hour, so if you miss it by 2 minutes, you get to chill out at the airport for 58 more minutes instead of hanging out at DLR! We also find that we end up having to leave DLR nearly an hour earlier than we otherwise would, because of the way their scheduling is.
mrswh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: