Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #121
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

I keep getting those "hello, this is Rachel from card services" calls, and the times that I have been patient enough to get a real person, I've asked for their info so I can report them, as I am on the DNC list. The responses I have heard from the telemarketers make blowing a whistle into the phone a nice alternative.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #122
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvestodizz View Post
Ever play along with phoe scammer?

Tonight I got a call from microsoft windows about a software problem that causes ads to pop up. The nice man with Indian accent offered to fix it. He wanted me to go to ammy.com and he would remotely control my pc. Of ourse he never said that was his goal. I made up an ID number which of course ddn't work. He tried a few times and had me try another site. I "downloaded" the next thing and he asked if a pop up came up. I said yes and it said the person on the phone is trying to remotely control your PC. He hung up very quickly!
...what's a phoe scammer?
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #123
ScottOKW2K
Wishing I was working for a REAL Mickey Mouse operation !

For those playing the mind games with the caller, or doing the horn, toilet, etc please consider this : Why allow that negativity into your life ? Life is stressful enough for all of us. Yes, they may be "intruding" into your life but it is your choice on you how you choose to deal with it.

I receive the same types of calls reported in this thread. I have also found a number of ways to deal with them.

1. If it a number you don't recognize when you pick up simply do not say anything. If it is a human at the other end he/she will likely speak into the silence - a natural human reaction. If it is a robocall the computer at the other end is waiting for a spoken response and then silence before it connects your end of the call to the phone bank at the other end. If it is a robocall the line will be silent for about 10 to 15 seconds before it automatically tries to complete the circuit. Simply hang up before then.

2. My VOIP based phone service allows me to forward/block/voicemail/"this number is disconnected" calls from specific numbers. Call me a few times and I will google your number - what I do with it is my choice but I know I will never hear from you again !
ScottOKW2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #124
Disney Hot Mama
DIS Veteran
Onion haters unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rence View Post
All you folks who think it is awful to play mind games with telemarketers seem to forget that they are breaking the law by calling those of us on the Do Not Call List. I do not need to be polite because I have already very politely let them know not to call me by putting my name on the state and federal do not call list.

Most of the time I don't answer or just hang up (why be polite to a crook). But if I time to spare, I will toy with them depending on my mood. I did not ask them to call, in fact I told them not to call. I've done my part - they absolutely deserve what they get.
THIS!
Except for us it is not me to 'toys' with them but my son. We too are on a do not call list. Though most contractors ignore this and call anyway. We also have an unlisted number but this does not help us.

If my son answers the phone - he is 17 - and it is a contractor and he knows it he likes to play with them. He will ask about building various rooms in the house and the costs associated with it. His favorite is a dungeon under the house - we don't have a basement. He asks if it can have specific things in it etc.... He gets great joy in doing this and if that is all it takes to make him happy one day I have no problem with his doing it.

Again we are on a do not call list and have an unlisted phone number. They are breaking the law by doing this....

Often if I answer the phone I try to get their name, company name and phone number to call them back... Then I say I am on a do not call list. Usually they refuse to give me any information but they hang up on me..

Disneyland at least monthly BUT WDW July 16 - 22, 2011, June 21 - 29, 2009 - AKL and VWL here we come! OKW 2008, 2007, 2005, 2004, 2003 & 2002 , 1999 - FW & numerous trips as a kid!
Disney Hot Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #125
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Hot Mama View Post
THIS!
Except for us it is not me to 'toys' with them but my son. We too are on a do not call list. Though most contractors ignore this and call anyway. We also have an unlisted number but this does not help us.

If my son answers the phone - he is 17 - and it is a contractor and he knows it he likes to play with them. He will ask about building various rooms in the house and the costs associated with it. His favorite is a dungeon under the house - we don't have a basement. He asks if it can have specific things in it etc.... He gets great joy in doing this and if that is all it takes to make him happy one day I have no problem with his doing it.

Again we are on a do not call list and have an unlisted phone number. They are breaking the law by doing this....

Often if I answer the phone I try to get their name, company name and phone number to call them back... Then I say I am on a do not call list. Usually they refuse to give me any information but they hang up on me..

Having a non-published number doesn't mean anything. They are not calling you specifically they are just calling a random number.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: