Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #16
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

I get info from the person, then I let them know I'm on the DO not call registry....and that I'm filing a complaint. I figure if they robocall me, or continue to call me after being told to not call, they (the company) deserves the fines. I won't mess with the people working there---they are just slave monkeys, like me.

My biggest pet peave:

people who can't dial the right number. The lady trying to call Baskin Robbins to see if they carried a particular flavor...well, the first two times I told her very politely "wrong number". The 3rd, I was kinda firm, and told her she was misdialing. I even looked up the number (the store in our town had two digits that were switched around from my number) and gave it to her. So, after the 5th time, I called the store myself, verified they didn't carry it...and when she called the 6th time, I told her they did. I do feel bad that I hosed the employees on that one, though.

My favorite is the guy who called and asked if we delivered ice cream--7times. I wonder how long he waited for that pint of mint chocolate chip.....rotfl2:
Jedana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #17
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Scammers are one thing. They deserve whatever treatment you want to give. But telemarketers are people trying to earn a living. Say, "no thanks" or just "no" and hang up.

Blow whistles? Flush the toilet?? Who are you people?

Or just don't answer the phone. My phone is for my convenience - not the callers'.
I am sorry, but if you are a telemarketer calling people who are on a Do Not Call List, I will treat you like you deserve to be treated. If you are a telemarketer calling MY home when I did NOT invite you to call me or personally give you my number, I will treat you like you deserve to be treated. If you are a telemarketer who calls me at 8:30am after I just worked all night, I will treat you deserve to be treated.

Earn a living in an honest job. I dont think calling MY house and disrupting MY schedule to sell YOUR garbage is an honest living.

As far as not answering they phone, they just keep calling back again and again. A Do Not Call list is just that. I will not treat you nicely if you call my home to scam me or sell me things.

Last edited by Social Worker Sue; 12-12-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Social Worker Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
canadianjovigirl
DIS Veteran

When the furnace people call here.............i dont have a furnace
When the computer repair people call here..........i dont have a furnace
When the lower your interest people call here........i dont have creditcards/loans.............
When the carpet cleaners call here.........i dont have carpet

You get the picture and now i hardly get any calls
canadianjovigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

I had one guy that kept calling me about bug extermination. I live in NW NJ. The winter naturally takes care of that. He called once. Told him I wasn't interested. He sent info. That's fine, it burned nicely in the fireplace. The second time I just told him that DH used to exterminate for a living and is handling all our extermination needs. He just responded. "Wow, that must be great that your DH can handle your needs." Why yes, yes it is.

I try to be nice to telemarketers. It's a job. People are working. As long as they are polite to me, I'll be polite back.

We had a number very similar to a fancy restaurant in our town one year. We got tired of telling people they had the wrong number and even went so far as to giving them the correct number. The calls were really bad from Halloween through the end of year. The first few phone calls from the same person, we were always polite. After that we took their reservations.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
1novascotian
Mouseketeer

Several times I have gotten the scam call where they want to remote access your computer.

Call 1) they were very specific- they said we had an HP computer that had an issue. I politely told them "Well thats funny, we haven't turned that computer on in over a year so it couldn't possibly be sending you a signal." Hung up on.

Call 2) Once again my pc is acting up. "Well thats funny, because I only own a MAC so clearly its not telling you I have a virus" hung up on again.

Call 3) I played along for about 5 minutes until just before it would be time for them to remote access my computer. "Heres the thing... I know you want me to give you permission to remote access my computer here, but I am not going to, because this is a scam and I am not that stupid. I hope you enjoyed me wasting your time." hung up on.

Call 4) I just couldn't be bothered to even play along this time. I flat out told them from the start, to stop calling my house, I am sick of hearing from them, I know they are a scam. This time the person yelled at me and told me I was wrong. My response was "well if I am so wrong, why are you yelling at me? and frankly you should be ashamed at what you are doing." I then hung up on them.

They haven't called back since.

February 1998- First Trip to Disney!
May/June 2008
May 2011- Offsite- Windsor Hills

Last edited by 1novascotian; 12-12-2012 at 09:49 AM.
1novascotian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
If you were in a department store and walked by the perfume lady asking if you wanted a sample would you scream at her or blow a whistle directly into her ear? Of course not!
Maybe not the perfume lady, but if those whackadoodles at the hair kiosks in the mall try to accost me one more time all bets are off!
They are completely insane, and literally chase my daughters and me down the walkway yelling and trying to grab my arm to get me to turn back. I start off with a polite, "No, thank you", but they are relentless. I almost always have to get mean to get them to back off. I guess 5 females with long hair is just too much for them to let go, LOL.

As far as the phone people, I am too tired in my old age to deal with that nonsense. I just answer and hang up without so much as a "Hello". Might be rude, but if you are calling me from an unidentified number, that is all you get.
May 16-22, 2010 Seralago Resort ~ so much fun!
June 17-23, 2012 Regal Palms ~ loved it!
Oct. 4, 2012 Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After
stacy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

I don't have enough time to deal with them in the first place, let alone spend extra time messing with them.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #23
Metsfan520
DIS Veteran

Nope, because if I don't recognize the name on the caller ID, or there isn't any, I don't answer the phone. If it's something important, they'll leave a message & I'll call back or pick up the phone.
Metsfan520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #24
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

I answer the phones at my work office. There is a local credit union that has the same phone number as our office, but it's an "800" number. Since it's a local credit union, many people simply dial it with the local area code instead of the 800 .... you guessed it ... they get me.

The very unfortunate thing is that I completely understand how our country's older people get scammed so frequently. Many times when it's an older person who has called for the credit union, they just start babbling off their account numbers and asking for info on their account, etc. They have not listened to what I say when I answer the phone - i.e., that it's NOT the credit union. Sometimes I really have to get pushy with them to tell them I'm not the credit union, they need to dial the number with an 800.

I get these calls frequently, sadly.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #25
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

I used to work at a classified government facility where our phone numbers were non-published and came up as unknown number on caller ID. The only way someone would have one of these numbers would be if someone in a specific office had given it out.

Washingtonian Magazine has (had?) a section in the back of each issue called "ISO" - In Search Of - where ladies and gentlemen would advertise for companionship of (usually) the opposite sex.

One month, the telephone on my desk rang about a dozen times with offers from a "gentleman" for an exciting week-end at his Caribbean beach house. He'd pick me up wherever I said after work on Friday and would have me back to my house on Sunday night. (Yeah, like that's gonna happen!) He was very persistent, and since his number wasn't identified, I couldn't ignore his calls.

In true government efficiency, it took about a month to get my desk number changed. I did check the then-current issue of Washingtonian, and sure enough, there was an ISO from a SWF (single while female) ISO a S/MWM (single or maried white male) for week-end playdates in the sunny Caribbean or Florida Keys!

I bet it would have really frosted her apples to know that her messages were being received and that her invitations were being issued to a fat, forty-year-old mother of two!
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #26
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Worker Sue View Post
I am sorry, but if you are a telemarketer calling people who are on a Do Not Call List, I will treat you like you deserve to be treated. If you are a telemarketer calling MY home when I did NOT invite you to call me or personally give you my number, I will treat you like you deserve to be treated. If you are a telemarketer who calls me at 8:30am after I just worked all night, I will treat you deserve to be treated.

Earn a living in an honest job. I dont think calling MY house and disrupting MY schedule to sell YOUR garbage is an honest living.

As far as not answering they phone, they just keep calling back again and again. A Do Not Call list is just that. I will not treat you nicely if you call my home to scam me or sell me things.
Then react like a mature adult. You're on the Do Not Call list? See the post at the top of the page on which you posted for how to deal with that. First, familiarize yourself with what is and isn't covered. If you have a business relationship with a company, they're exempt until/unless you specifically notify them to remove you from their call list.

In fact, familiarize yourself with the Do Not Call list restrictions. There are instances where you may have been removed.

Someone calling you at 8:30 AM after you just got home from work is identical to them calling someone with a nine to five job just after that person got home from work. Your shift schedule doesn't make you unique or exempt.

Honest job? It's great that you have an "honest" job. I do, too (one that likely meets your criteria). Have you met the economy lately? My friends who work in telephone sales have honest jobs. They're not on unemployment or welfare.

If you have an issue, deal with the company. The employee doesn't make the rules or set the working conditions.

Scams are illegal. Treat potential scammers any way you want. Telemarketers are trying to earn an honest living. Again, a simple "no" and hanging up is effective.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #27
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy347
As far as the phone people, I am too tired in my old age to deal with that nonsense. I just answer and hang up without so much as a "Hello". Might be rude, but if you are calling me from an unidentified number, that is all you get.
Much less rude than whistles, flushed toilets, etc.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Then react like a mature adult..
Well, you can act like you want to act and I will act like how I want to act

I don't do whistles or toilets, etc. But I am sharp tongued. I will ask you why you are calling my home and I will not be nice to you.

I don't want strangers calling my home trying to sell me their wares. Period.

I don't respect any profession that harasses a stranger in their own home to earn their living. Sorry if that offends you.
Social Worker Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #29
Fly4free
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
I used to work at a classified government facility where our phone numbers were non-published and came up as unknown number on caller ID. The only way someone would have one of these numbers would be if someone in a specific office had given it out.

Washingtonian Magazine has (had?) a section in the back of each issue called "ISO" - In Search Of - where ladies and gentlemen would advertise for companionship of (usually) the opposite sex.

One month, the telephone on my desk rang about a dozen times with offers from a "gentleman" for an exciting week-end at his Caribbean beach house. He'd pick me up wherever I said after work on Friday and would have me back to my house on Sunday night. (Yeah, like that's gonna happen!) He was very persistent, and since his number wasn't identified, I couldn't ignore his calls.

In true government efficiency, it took about a month to get my desk number changed. I did check the then-current issue of Washingtonian, and sure enough, there was an ISO from a SWF (single while female) ISO a S/MWM (single or maried white male) for week-end playdates in the sunny Caribbean or Florida Keys!

I bet it would have really frosted her apples to know that her messages were being received and that her invitations were being issued to a fat, forty-year-old mother of two!

My dd went through a phase when we were repeatedly getting phone calls from the same annoying salesman. She would answer in her little girl voice and say Daddy? Are you my daddy? When are you coming home Daddy?...... bye bye sales calls!
Fly4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #30
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am sorry, but if you are a telemarketer calling people who are on a Do Not Call List, I will treat you like you deserve to be treated.
How they "deserve to be treated?" Wow. Complain to the company, then. THEY deserve your nasty treatment, not the telemarketer who was handed a phone list and told to get to work.

Quote:
If you are a telemarketer calling MY home when I did NOT invite you to call me or personally give you my number, I will treat you like you deserve to be treated.
Again ... complain to the company.

Quote:
If you are a telemarketer who calls me at 8:30am after I just worked all night, I will treat you deserve to be treated.
And the hourly employee on the other side of the phone knows that you just worked all night ... how?

Quote:
Telemarketing IS an honest living, most of the time. The people doing it are trying to feed their families just like you.

Quote:
Again... COMPLAIN TO THE COMPANY. The person on the other end of the phone is just trying to earn a living.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: