Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

Thinking of Renting an RV and Staying at FW

Next fall we are planning our first family trip to WDW with the kids and both of our mothers. After leaving WDW we plan on heading up the east coast to visit my aunt in New Hampshire before heading back to Minnesota. Last weekend DW threw out the idea of renting an RV and staying at FW instead AoA. I crunched some numbers and it looks like the cost is about a wash. DW is also gluten intolerant so we like the RV as a place to fix meals on the road and for breakfast and not worry about allergy issues. Plus with so many people in a vehicle, having a bathroom right there has its benefits. I also love how many amenities there are at FW. The nightly movie looks like a lot of fun.

There's a few questions I have about FW. How spread out is the camp ground? Is a golf cart necessary and how much for 9 days? I read that transportation can be an issue. How hard is it to get to the theme parks in the morning?

Thanks for your input.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Twin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

How spread out is the camp ground?
. . . it is T---H---I---S------W---I---D---E ------ A---N---D------B---I---G
. . . 1-mile from check-in to the Settlement
. . . 3/4-mile side-to-side

Is a golf cart necessary and how much for 9 days?
. . . in my mind, absolutely
. . . the place is huge
. . . you get pretty tired with all the walking

How hard is it to get to the theme parks in the morning?
. . . easy
. . . take the boat or the bus
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

It is about $65.00 a day for GC rental. You can get and out side vendor for almost half that. You could also bring bicycles.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
disneystick
DIS Veteran

We had camp there many times and did not once felt like we needed a cart to get around. We were able to walk or just took the internal buses. We rather save that money to use on other things.

It will be a great time for you and your family at the Fort.
disneystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
amylevan
DIS Veteran

We love FW (as do most the people on this board....) and we have never once felt the need to rent a GC. We walk or take the internal busses - no biggie - and our group goes from 2 yr olds to "mature" adults.

MK is a breeze to get to - just hop on a boat. Love it.

Everywhere else is a bus from the front of the campground. Not anymore difficult than AOA.
2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2010 (x2) - Fort Wilderness
2012 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Fort Wilderness
amylevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneystick View Post
We had camp there many times and did not once felt like we needed a cart to get around. We were able to walk or just took the internal buses. We rather save that money to use on other things.

It will be a great time for you and your family at the Fort.
We've never rented a cart either in 41 years of going at various times. The buses and walking have suited us well.

Depending on who you talk to, some people think they are necessary, or just rather enjoy them, so it has to be your decision. There are a few 6 seaters (more expensive) but you would probably need one of those or 2 - 4 seaters depending on how many children you have.

There are no *one size fits all* answers - a personal family decision - hope y'all have a great time - we always do - just got back from a trip there.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

Thanks for the input. We have thought of bringing bikes but the grandmothers wouldn't be too keen with that. I figure we can get by with a four seater considering the kids have skinny butts. Anyone have a recommendation for an outside vendor?
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Twin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Disney Bunny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
Thanks for the input. We have thought of bringing bikes but the grandmothers wouldn't be too keen with that. I figure we can get by with a four seater considering the kids have skinny butts. Anyone have a recommendation for an outside vendor?
I don't recommend putting more than 4 individuals in a golf cart that is designed for 4 people even if they are small children. There is a guy that is discussed on here named Kenny who is an outside vendor for golf carts and I think I read somewhere that he actually has 6 seater golf carts. Hopefully you can do a search or someone else has the info.

Me and DH
Disney Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
You would need some *small* adults too, to pull that off
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great time and a big epic trip, heading up to NH afterwards as well - super fun!

Be careful...you just might end up wanting to buy your own RV after this trip! Especially with a high maintenance eater...we, too, are high maintenance eaters and really love being able to prepare our own meals when we travel now, it just really takes the stress out of travel knowing you have full control of everything in every dish that you eat (for the most part, we do one or two restaurants per trip.) Plus, it is so sweet to be on the road and just pull over nearly anywhere for a potty break in a clean, private bathroom! You will love that with two kididdles!

And just to add to the cart discussion - we've never rented one, nor have my parents who often meet us at the Fort and go fairly frequently on their own. We're bike folks, and what is nice is with bikes you can split up and meet up later and not all have to go to the same place at the same time - DH and my dad go fishing while DS and I head over to the pool while my mom takes the dogs for a walk, then DS and I dry off and go find my dad and DH, then DS talks my dad into going to the arcade, so off they go...and well, you get the point. But I know a lot of people enjoy the carts, so whatever you think will work best for your family!

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: