Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #31
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettW View Post
Don't forget, US law may not apply to this contract, since the ship is registered out of the Bahamas. Much less generous consumer protection laws.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Actually US laws do apply as the contract clearly states DCL's address in Florida. Where the ship is flagged has much more to do with minimizing expenses/taxes rather than consumer liability issues for what is obviously a huge multinational corporation.

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #32
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
I totally agree.

My child and I both have very low immune systems and we catch everything. He gets over everything quickly, but I don't. I never used to have a problem, but the past 3 years have been completely brutal on me. I'm not sure if it's just been bad luck, if we have a medical issue, or if the bugs are just worse, but if I am near anyone who remotely sniffles I just want to cry because I know what's coming. I wish people would freaking stay home when they are sick.

I used to be a big believer in "kids have to get sick so they build up immunity". My older twins (18) were rarely sick as a child. So I don't know what's changed with my youngest to make him so sick all the time, but it's turned me into a total germaphobe.

I have a big fear of people bringing that crap on a ship. As you said, I wish Disney were more careful about how they word things but I would imagine, 90% of the sick people will lie to get on the ship and not lose their vacation.

I took the DCL insurance because if we are sick, we are NOT getting on board. I will take that full credit and go another time. Otherwise, I will bring the wipes and hope for the best that we don't catch it from someone else on board.
I know what you are saying! I agree that no matter what DCL tries to do, a huge majority of passengers would board even if they or their children are ill. We have been fortunate and never been ill immediately prior to or while on a cruise. It is a little like playing with fire, however. Sooner or later, something will happen. Of course, I could just as easily catch something at the salad bar at a Jason's Deli while heading home. I guess it is just best to keep your fingers crossed!

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #33
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Harsh to say but I think most people when faced with losing thousands of dollars don't care if anyone else gets sick from them.
Also, If someones immune system is depressed then I dont see the wisdom of placing yourself in any crowded situation especially a cruise ship
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #34
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post
Harsh to say but I think most people when faced with losing thousands of dollars don't care if anyone else gets sick from them.
Also, If someones immune system is depressed then I dont see the wisdom of placing yourself in any crowded situation especially a cruise ship
because we dont feel like living in a bubble

I have a wekened immune system from years of prednisone, immnosuppresents and other medical conditions. I seem to catch every little cold there is. But I'm not going to live in a bubble just because I "might" get sick. I am probably exposed to more sick people in college than I would be in Disney. But my doctors have flat out told me to not stop living my life just because of my illnesses.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #35
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

If my oldest child threw up with no other symptoms, I would think nothing of it. She throws up in the car, she throws up when she's nervous (probably if she is overexcited too), she throws up if she skips a meal, she throws up if she eats too much sugar...not out of the ordinary.

If one of my other two did, I'd take it a lot more serious.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: