Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #121
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Aww, it looks like the kids had a blast at the dance party! I think if we go to any of the hard ticket parties next year, we will spend a lot of time in those with Paxton. He loves to dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
[B][SIZE="3"] I was just pushing the stroller and trying not to run over anyone and I walked right past a lady that looked kind of familiar... Then it hit me...

HOLY CRAP!!! That was Whoopi Goldberg!!!

http://youtu.be/ztzRFTvaQoU
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #122
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Joining in..

They added trees to the Gingerbread house Wow

Your DS has grown alot since your last trip and your DD is so cute
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #123
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

All caught up! If only I'd known that FastPass holders have special privileges to get into closed rides...maybe I'd have been able to get into the new Fantasyland!

Glad to see the kids were having so much fun. I'm always wowed by the Osborne Lights whenever I see pictures. One day I will see these in person...one day.

Nobody liked Star Tours? (except you, I mean) What's up with that?

on the ET comment. You could have said it was down while they add Harry Potter world to Hollywood Studios.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #124
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
Following along! We were there the same time as you (actually even down to MK during the day on 12/2 and DHS in the evening!), its neat to see such a completely different perspective on the same day! Your kids are adorable.
I just hopped over to your TR to check it out! Very interesting that we were in the same parks, but on totally different schedules!

I guess around 1pm might have been the best time to try BoG... your wait was much shorter than it seemed to be anytime we checked it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Aww, it looks like the kids had a blast at the dance party! I think if we go to any of the hard ticket parties next year, we will spend a lot of time in those with Paxton. He loves to dance!
I'm sure he will love them! DS is ready to dance anytime the music starts. And DD manages to bounce to the beat even though she can't stand yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Great find! I haven't seen that movie in years!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Joining in..

Quote:
They added trees to the Gingerbread house Wow
I was interested to see if they actually changed it or pretty much kept it the same, so at least I got my question answered!

Quote:
Your DS has grown alot since your last trip and your DD is so cute
He sure has. Both seem to be growing up fast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
All caught up! If only I'd known that FastPass holders have special privileges to get into closed rides...maybe I'd have been able to get into the new Fantasyland!
I'm sorry, this area of the park is closed to guests.

It's ok. I have a Fastpass!!!

Quote:
Glad to see the kids were having so much fun. I'm always wowed by the Osborne Lights whenever I see pictures. One day I will see these in person...one day.
I really hope you can. They are truly amazing. It puts Clark Griswold to shame.

Quote:
Nobody liked Star Tours? (except you, I mean) What's up with that?
Sometimes I wonder if I was adopted.

Quote:
on the ET comment. You could have said it was down while they add Harry Potter world to Hollywood Studios.
You obviously don't know my sister. I can already hear her response if I used that response.

... Huh????? Wait, Harry Potter is at Universal isn't it???

Old 12-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #125
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

With New Years Day being tomorrow, we'll have a couple of busy days back at work this week, so it might be a bit crazy. I wanted to get an update posted beforehand, and I'll be back with replies whenever I can!

I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year's celebration this evening!!!

Hey, we found E.T.!

Monday, Dec 3

Today was a morning like most others. I awoke early and headed to Rix to grab some breakfast and drinks. We all finished getting ready and planned to be in the parking lot to leave by about 7:45 am. We headed out the door and DS quickly found BiL. Those 2 have a lot of fun picking on each other. For about a year, DS would only call him Monster. I have no idea why, but he wouldnít call him by his real name. BiL arrived at the resort at around midnight. Sis had already checked into their room, so he just had to catch the ME bus and make his way to CSR when his plane landed.

We all said hi to each other and loaded up the vehicles. We were going to be committing an act of treason today. Well, technically, 2 of the best rides here are based on characters that are now owned by Disney so are we really being traitors? Anyway, we were headed off property to ďthat other placeĒ in Orlando. We arrived plenty early and decided weíd start our day at Islands of Adventure. Mom had ordered 1 Day, 2 Park tickets ahead of time from Undercover Tourist, so we headed straight to the lines to get through the turnstiles.

Once we got into the park, we made a right turn and headed straight back to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Iím going to start out by saying that I have never read any of the books or seen any of the movies. I really havenít had any interest in them, so I was kind of on the fence about this part of the park. My mom was excited about it and my sisters wanted to see it, but DW and I didnít really care either way.

Now for someone who had never seen the movies, and had really no interest in it, once I got there I was blown away. The level of detail is incredible. Once you enter, you really canít see anything in other areas of the park and it really feels like youíre in some faraway place. I think it really feels about 20 degrees cooler there, just because of the snow on the roofs. Now with that, the obligatory picturesÖ

Our first order of business was to ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. I tried to take pictures as we went through the queue, but we left the cameras behind and the pictures I took with my phone looked something like thisÖ

Believe me when I say that there is a whole lot of detail in that picture. The level of detail in this queue rivals anything Iíve seen at Disney World, and it kind of made me wish Iíd seen some of the movies so Iíd actually understand more of it.

The ride itself was a lot of fun. It moves you through scenes in a somewhat typical dark ride fashion, but you move up, down side to side and pitch forward and backward as you go. On top of that, there are rooms where you stop in front of a screen where you then pitch and roll as you follow Harry Potter in chase scenes flying on a broom.

Remember my comments in the last update about motion sickness when Iím in a moving seat watching a screen? Yeah, this one is pretty bad. I enjoyed the ride and it really was amazing, but I didnít feel so great when I got off. After the second chase scene, I dreaded seeing another one of those screens from that point on. Anyway, we rode it and I enjoyed the experience, but I sure wasnít in a big hurry to jump back in line and do it again.

After we finished there, we headed across the path to the Flight of the Hippogriff. After DSís excitement about Goofyís Rollie Coaster, we thought heíd enjoy this one tooÖ and we were right! It was a walk on so we jumped right back in line, but as we approached the station it broke down. We waited about 5 minutes and decided to bail. We didnít want to waste valuable early morning time standing around waiting on a ride that may or may not be fixed soon.

One thing to note, we didnít ride Dragon Challenge, because it was closed that morning. It was shown on the map as opening at 11 am that day. Iím not sure if this is typical or if something was going on that day, but it didnít really fit into our schedule so we never rode it. Iíd ridden it before, but I was kind of looking forward to seeing if theyíd changed the theming of it since it was now part of WWoHP.

I did start to notice one thing at the Flight of the Hippogriff though. Universal Studios is anal about hats. I have a Cincinnati Reds hat that Iíve had for probably 10 or 12 years. It is the hat that I always wear at theme parks because it fits me very well and I can wear it on any type of ride and not worry about it coming off. Iíve ridden all kinds of rollercoasters with it on, including all of them at Disney World and the Hulk at IoA several times. Now, Universal makes you take your hat off on everything, including a little kidís rollercoaster that goes maybe 20 mphÖ I wasnít crazy about being scolded by TMís to take my hat off but whatever. Not that big of a deal, just a little bit annoying.

We headed on around the loop, and since this was going to be a hardcore commando touring day, we rode Jurassic Park even though it was early and weíd get wet. It was the next thing in line so we went for it. Dad actually ended up riding this one with us and Mom stayed with the kids. I of course, was asked to put my hat in my pocket before we could go. This is one of my favorite rides, just because I loved the movies and I really like the animatronic dinosaurs they have, so it is always a must do for me.

After we finished there, Mom and DW took DS over to the Pteradon Flyers and the play area while the rest of us sat with DD and I fed her. We went on around to the cartoon area, but decided to pass on Ripsaw Falls and the Bilge Rat Barges. Now I love both of those water rides, and I didnít mind getting a little wet like we did on Jurassic Park, but I had no interest in being soaked to the bone all day long, nor did anyone else.

We made our way over to Super Hero Island and BiL and I were the only 2 really interested in that area. Nobody else had the stomach to attempt Spider-Man so we sent them on over to Seuss Landing while we rode it. As always it was a fun ride. I mentioned in the intros that BiL had never been to Disney World, and heíd never been to Universal Studios either. He was blown away by this ride, and as skeptical as he seemed about going on this trip, he really seemed to be impressed by a lot of things. There was a bit of a line for this one, so we talked about some of the rides and he basically said he was open to trying anything and everything at least once just to see what it is all about. Thankfully, he didnít just go along with Sis and skip the rides she didnít want to do, because some of those would end up being his favorites.

DW told us she wanted to ride the Hulk, so BiL and I checked the wait as we passed. It was only about 5 minutes, but we headed over to Seuss Landing to find her. When we got there, we quickly spotted everyone over at the Caro-Seussel

After they finished there, DW, BiL and I headed back over to ride Hulk. This is a ride that I canít get enough of. Even though it was posted at 5 minutes, it was a walk on. BiL and I could have gotten right back in line, but one ride was enough for DW, so we headed back to Seuss Landing.

As we were leaving the Hulk, someone stepped on the back of my foot. I was wearing Croc flip flops and they stepped on it hard enough that it took the shoe off of my foot. It didnít break the flip flop, so I was at least able to put it back on, but I was in some serious pain. Iím pretty sure it damaged a ligament or something in my foot because for the rest of the week I was limping around and every step hurt from my big toe to the ball of my foot. I was in a hurry to get my flip flop back on and get out of the way before I was trampled by everyone else trying to get off of the ride so I didnít really look around to see who did it, but nobody even offered an apology. I understand it wasnít intentional, but come on, at least have the courtesy to apologize.

We made our way back over to Seuss Landing and found Dad sitting in the shade with DD. We joined them for a bit and then BiL decided he wanted to go back to WWoHP and try the Butterbeer. I had nothing better to do, and a cold drink sounded like a great idea, so off we went. We came back with 4 drinks and 2 of the souvenir mugs, one for my mom and one for his mom. I had a frozen one. It was an interesting drink, with a butterscotch flavor to it. Iím glad I tried it, but I'm not sure I'd get another one next time.

By the time we got back, DW had spotted the rest of the family and they were off exploring the attractions of Seuss Landing. I really donít know what rides they did or in what order, because I was just relaxing in the shade with this view.

We saw the residents of Whoville out and about. I thought I had a picture of some of them, but apparently not. They were really a nice touch as they were walking around Seuss Landing decked out for the holidays and carrying shopping bags. It really helped sell the Grinchmas theme they had going. I did find a few pictures on my Momís camera of DS. Apparently he didnít want to cooperate for them to get a good picture.

I think BiL, Dad and I sat there for about an hour with DD. I took some time to check in on the Disboards, and I posted the Butterbeer picture on my PTR. By the time they finished with Suess Landing and found us, it was after 11 am so we decided the next 2 steps would be to grab some lunch and head to the Universal Studios park.

We ended up choosing to go to Margaritaville, because they have a good gluten free menu, so Sis would be able to eat there without any problems and the rest of us would be happy eating there too.

One thing we discovered there that we really liked was that their distraction with the kids menu isn't the typical crayons. They have Wiki Sticks that are basically strings covered in wax that you can bend and shape. DS had a blast with these things. He enjoyed them so much that they made their way into the park bag so that they could be used as a distraction later if needed.

We enjoyed our meal, and DW and Sis2 enjoyed a couple of adult beverages. DW joked that she wanted to get another margarita to go. She thought I was joking when I told her to go to the bar and ask for one to go. That is my favorite thing about Citywalk. I love being able to stop at a bar, grab a drink and start walking to the next destination.

We headed into Universal Studios and looked at the map. It really does leave something to be desired when you're there with smaller children. Nearly everything there has a height requirement. We kind of wanted to do the Despicable Me attraction, but DS wasnít even tall enough for it, so we moved on. Our first attraction was Shrek. Iíd seen it before, but I didnít remember how jerky the seats were. It was a 4D movie, but the seats move, and honestly, the mechanization of the seats is almost a distraction. You hear the seats over the movie every time they move.

We finished in there and I looked down the street and saw something that had been calling my name all morning. As excited as my mom was about WWoHP, I had been looking forward to riding a rollercoaster that Iíd never been on before. All morning, BiL and I had been looking over from IoA talking about how incredible Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit looked with that 90 degree lift hill. We were just nervous that by the time weíd get there in the afternoon, weíd have to wait in a ridiculous line. My sisters and DW were all up for a coaster ride too, so we left the kids with Mom and Dad and headed over to ride it. We were shocked to see a posted time of 5 minutes, but we never stopped walking until we were climbing into a car.

As much as I love Hulk, this one gives it a run for its money. As you sit down, you get to pick a music genre and a song that you want to listen to. The ride is themed to be that youíre making a music video and the ride is filmed. I never watched it, because I cared more about riding than buying an overpriced video, but thatís beside the point. The lift hill is straight up. You arenít even really sitting in your seat until it starts down the other side. The coaster is very smooth with some inversions and it is very quiet on the tracks too, unlike the Hulk, which you can hear running halfway across the park. One of the features that BiL and I loved about it was the sudden drops. It was designed so that youíd hit points where youíd slow down and then all of a sudden youíd drop straight down and pick up speed again. It really is a unique coaster and one that called for a second ride.

We walked on a second time and as we were climbing off, BiL proposed the idea that we jump back in line again and keep riding until someone decides they canít take anymore. I said I was in, but DW and my sisters were already throwing in the towel. Oh well, it appears that my adventurous little sisters that love rollercoasters as much as I do are losing some of their edge. Thank goodness BiL is just about as crazy as I am!

We found Mom and Dad and DS was starting to get restless. He really needed a nap, but was making sure to keep moving and fight sleep. Sis really wanted to see Twister, so for some crazy reason, we decided to take a 2 year old who needs a nap and hates the dark and loud noises into a loud, dark attraction.

He was scared from the moment we walked in and was clinging to his Grandma. Then he wanted Mommy. Then he wanted Daddy. Then he wanted Mommy again. I just held onto him and wouldnít let him move. I held his right ear against my left shoulder and put my right hand over his left ear. By the time we made it into the main show room, he was sound asleep. I thought about just skipping by everyone and going straight to the exit, but it was crowded enough that it was easier to just try to keep his ears covered and ride out the storm.

We got out of there and loaded the kids into the stroller. We headed over by Mummy, and my sisters and DW had already said they didnít want to ride it. BiL and I considered it, but the wait was 20 minutes. We hadnít waited longer than 5 or 10 minutes for anything all day, and I could tell DW was pretty much over being at Universal Studios, so we moved on. We went around the lake in the middle and were over by Men In Black. DW said sheíd wait with the kids, as did Mom and Dad so the rest of us headed in to fight some aliens. When we got done it was about 4:45 pm, so DW and I decided to leave. Dadís back was hurting so he went with us. Mom, my sisters and BiL stayed to do a few more rides. Sis2 wasnít about to leave without riding E.T.!!!

Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #126
KatMark
DIS Veteran

First, Happy New Year to you and your beautiful family.

Second, great update. We've not done Universal since 2004...I just can't handle the coasters anymore and Potter holds no interest to me. It looks as if you all enjoyed yourselves, though. And I love the pictures of your DS in front of One Fish, Two Fish...very cute.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #127
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Quote:
I was interested to see if they actually changed it or pretty much kept it the same, so at least I got my question answered!
I'm glad I helped The little trees with the fairy lights aren't in my pics from last year so I'm presuming they're new anyway. They rest looks the same.

Also luving the update. I think you have to be hungry for to appreciate Butterbeer it's almost like a dessert but frozen is the best imo

Luv the WWoHP pics and your DS's cool bendy glasses
Old 01-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #128
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Great update!

Looks like y'all really had a full, fun day at the Universal parks!

I love the WWoHP. Being a big Potter fan, it's so fun to see it all come to life. I have to say though that I'm not a fan of the Forbidden Journey ride. I don't get motion sickness easy on rides but that ones makes me !

And the Hulk.....! Love it so much. And the screen refurb on Spiderman really helped to refresh that ride. Glad your BIL was trying rides with you so that he didn't miss out on the cool stuff.

I have not been to Universal Studios since probably 2006 or maybe even a few years before that. Ed has really been wanting to try out that Rip Ride Rockit coaster since we've seen it from IoA. I don't know if I want to tell him how cool you think it is because then he may want us to go to Universal next December.

I really like the Men in Black ride. IMHO, it's better than the Buzz Lightyear ride.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #129
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
First, Happy New Year to you and your beautiful family.

Thanks!! I hope you had a happy new year as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Second, great update. We've not done Universal since 2004...I just can't handle the coasters anymore and Potter holds no interest to me. It looks as if you all enjoyed yourselves, though. And I love the pictures of your DS in front of One Fish, Two Fish...very cute.
Thanks... a bit wordy, and lacking pictures, but I don't think DW even took her camera that day. I actually love the coasters (obviously), but I have to say I was impressed by the Potter stuff. I really didn't want to be.

Quote:
I'm glad I helped The little trees with the fairy lights aren't in my pics from last year so I'm presuming they're new anyway. They rest looks the same.
Yeah, I thought they might have done more to make it different. Oh well, it is still amazing!

Quote:
Also luving the update. I think you have to be hungry for to appreciate Butterbeer it's almost like a dessert but frozen is the best imo
It was interesting. It wasn't bad, but I guess the flavor isn't really something that is all that appealing to me.

Quote:
Luv the WWoHP pics and your DS's cool bendy glasses
He had a blast playing with those things. And so did my sisters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Great update!

Looks like y'all really had a full, fun day at the Universal parks!
Thanks! We definitely had fun and made the most of our day there!

Quote:
I love the WWoHP. Being a big Potter fan, it's so fun to see it all come to life. I have to say though that I'm not a fan of the Forbidden Journey ride. I don't get motion sickness easy on rides but that ones makes me !
It really is a neat area. I was really surprised by the action/chase scenes in that ride though. As technologically advanced as everything else is on that ride, you'd think that it would be a crystal clear, really smooth picture. It seemed a little bit blurry to me and I think that's why it bothered me so much.

Quote:
And the Hulk.....! Love it so much. And the screen refurb on Spiderman really helped to refresh that ride. Glad your BIL was trying rides with you so that he didn't miss out on the cool stuff.
The Hulk and Spiderman have always been a couple of my favorite rides (and I mean anywhere in Florida, not just that park). I'm really glad he was open to trying some new rides. He is a Spiderman fan, so he was basically planning to ride it regardless, but his favorite ride on the whole trip would end up being one that Sis hates and refuses to ride. I'm really glad he was open to trying things, and I'm glad he went since DW and my sisters decided they didn't like the thrill rides so much anymore.

Quote:
I have not been to Universal Studios since probably 2006 or maybe even a few years before that. Ed has really been wanting to try out that Rip Ride Rockit coaster since we've seen it from IoA. I don't know if I want to tell him how cool you think it is because then he may want us to go to Universal next December.
You know, we really didn't do much at Universal Studios. I've always liked the park, but it really seems to be a little bit "less" than it used to be. Granted, I love Mummy and the Simpsons ride is fun, but I miss the old classics like King Kong, Jaws and Back to the Future. I don't know if I appreciate it less than I used to now because I miss some of those old rides or because it really seems to be overshadowed by IoA.

Rip Ride Rockit is a great coaster though. It is almost worth going over there just to check it out. This may or may not help sway you one way or the other, but they are currently building a Transformers attraction there that is set to open this summer.

Quote:
I really like the Men in Black ride. IMHO, it's better than the Buzz Lightyear ride.
I love the queue for this one too.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #130
amazingact21
Upendi

Followed your PTR, now jumping in (although a little late) to your TR.

It's great that you didn't have to deal with long waits at IoA. I've heard horror stories about people standing in hour long lines for rides at WWoHP.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #131
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Followed your PTR, now jumping in (although a little late) to your TR.

It's great that you didn't have to deal with long waits at IoA. I've heard horror stories about people standing in hour long lines for rides at WWoHP.

I know the feeling, so hard to keep up with everyone's TR's!

The waits weren't bad at all, but we definitely planned to hit WWoHP first thing for that very reason. When we went back for the Butterbeer, it was much more crowded in that area of the park than it was in the morning but I didn't think to check how long the lines were.

I will say though that in my pre-trip research, I found several sources saying that the week we went is the least busy week of the year at Universal Studios. I have to say I would tend to believe it. It just wasn't very crowded at all.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #132
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

You guys really did a lot at Universal. When we went it was go busy and we barely went on anything because the lines were so long.

I love roller coasters and I would of been right there with you going on again & again & again...

The butter beer sounds interesting but by the way you described it, I'm not sure I've would of liked it.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #133
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
For about a year, DS would only call him Monster. I have no idea why, but he wouldnít call him by his real name.
I guess it all goes back to the time when he was bitten and turned into a werewolf.

Quote:
We all said hi to each other and loaded up the vehicles. We were going to be committing an act of treason today. Well, technically, 2 of the best rides here are based on characters that are now owned by Disney so are we really being traitors?

Quote:
Now for someone who had never seen the movies, and had really no interest in it, once I got there I was blown away. The level of detail is incredible.
Uh oh. I haven't read the books (yet) and have only seen 1 movie in its entirety. My wife and daughter, however, are HP geeks and my daughter especially has been begging me to take here there. There's no way out of this, is there?

Quote:
Believe me when I say that there is a whole lot of detail in that picture.
I found the lie!

Quote:
The ride itself was a lot of fun. It moves you through scenes in a somewhat typical dark ride fashion, but you move up, down side to side and pitch forward and backward as you go. On top of that, there are rooms where you stop in front of a screen where you then pitch and roll as you follow Harry Potter in chase scenes flying on a broom.
That sounds pretty awesome.

Quote:
I did start to notice one thing at the Flight of the Hippogriff though. Universal Studios is anal about hats. I have a Cincinnati Reds hat that Iíve had for probably 10 or 12 years. It is the hat that I always wear at theme parks because it fits me very well and I can wear it on any type of ride and not worry about it coming off. Iíve ridden all kinds of rollercoasters with it on, including all of them at Disney World and the Hulk at IoA several times. Now, Universal makes you take your hat off on everything, including a little kidís rollercoaster that goes maybe 20 mphÖ I wasnít crazy about being scolded by TMís to take my hat off but whatever.
They just hate Cincinnati.

Quote:
As we were leaving the Hulk, someone stepped on the back of my foot. I was wearing Croc flip flops and they stepped on it hard enough that it took the shoe off of my foot. It didnít break the flip flop, so I was at least able to put it back on, but I was in some serious pain. Iím pretty sure it damaged a ligament or something in my foot because for the rest of the week I was limping around and every step hurt from my big toe to the ball of my foot. I was in a hurry to get my flip flop back on and get out of the way before I was trampled by everyone else trying to get off of the ride so I didnít really look around to see who did it, but nobody even offered an apology. I understand it wasnít intentional, but come on, at least have the courtesy to apologize.
That stinks. I'm guessing it was a Universal employee who saw your Reds hat.

Quote:
It was an interesting drink, with a butterscotch flavor to it. Iím glad I tried it, but I'm not sure I'd get another one next time.
I'm not much of a fan of butterscotch, but I'm sure we'd all have to try it too. And we'd be coming home with the mug, for sure.

Quote:
I really donít know what rides they did or in what order, because I was just relaxing in the shade with this view.
It's this kind of detailed, incisive trip reporting that you just can't get anywhere else.

Quote:
Apparently he didnít want to cooperate for them to get a good picture.
No idea what that's like.

Quote:
All morning, BiL and I had been looking over from IoA talking about how incredible Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit looked with that 90 degree lift hill.

Quote:
We were shocked to see a posted time of 5 minutes, but we never stopped walking until we were climbing into a car.
I'm not. There just aren't as many suicidal people as you think out there.

Quote:
Sis really wanted to see Twister, so for some crazy reason, we decided to take a 2 year old who needs a nap and hates the dark and loud noises into a loud, dark attraction.
See the suicidal thing above.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #134
toughmudder
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We got out of there and loaded the kids into the stroller. We headed over by Mummy, and my sisters and DW had already said they didnít want to ride it. BiL and I considered it, but the wait was 20 minutes. We hadnít waited longer than 5 or 10 minutes for anything all day, and I could tell DW was pretty much over being at Universal Studios, so we moved on. We went around the lake in the middle and were over by Men In Black. DW said sheíd wait with the kids, as did Mom and Dad so the rest of us headed in to fight some aliens. When we got done it was about 4:45 pm, so DW and I decided to leave. Dadís back was hurting so he went with us. Mom, my sisters and BiL stayed to do a few more rides. Sis2 wasnít about to leave without riding E.T.!!!

Sounds like a ton of fun at Universal! This is how we're starting our trip in February, so your insight is certainly helpful. I noticed you didn't you on Mummy... but from the sounds of it, you've done it before? How was this ride on a quesy-ness level? We have some adventurous kids in the group, and some skeptical adults... who don't like riding backwards on coasters - is this one pretty disorienting? I know I'll like it... but want to give a proper warning to those who may be affected by it.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #135
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
You guys really did a lot at Universal. When we went it was go busy and we barely went on anything because the lines were so long.
I remember reading those updates. It had to have been ridiculously crowded that day! We were lucky though, I've never seen such a small crowd there. Easily the least crowded day at any park the entire trip.

Quote:
I love roller coasters and I would of been right there with you going on again & again & again...
I could have ridden any of them a few more times (and taken a ride or 2 on Mummy), but let's just say it wouldn't have been good for my marriage...

Quote:
The butter beer sounds interesting but by the way you described it, I'm not sure I've would of liked it.
I can't say that I liked it. It was definitely a different, and interesting drink. I'm glad I tried it, but now that I have, I think I'm good!

Quote:
I guess it all goes back to the time when he was bitten and turned into a werewolf.
Please tell me you don't watch those crap movies my wife likes!

Quote:
I appreciate the support.

Quote:
Uh oh. I haven't read the books (yet) and have only seen 1 movie in its entirety. My wife and daughter, however, are HP geeks and my daughter especially has been begging me to take here there. There's no way out of this, is there?
Go for it! I really like the other attractions around the park, so I think it is worth spending a day there. But I also like Tower of Terror.

Quote:
I found the lie!

+10

Quote:
That sounds pretty awesome.
It was, except for giving me the feeling that I had my contacts in the wrong eyes or something.

Quote:
They just hate Cincinnati.
That explains it...

Quote:
That stinks. I'm guessing it was a Universal employee who saw your Reds hat.

Quote:
I'm not much of a fan of butterscotch, but I'm sure we'd all have to try it too. And we'd be coming home with the mug, for sure.
I didn't mention this, but we bought 2 frozen butterbeers and 2 that weren't frozen. Mine was frozen and I didn't taste the other, but DW and my sisters both said the frozen one tasted a lot better.

Quote:
It's this kind of detailed, incisive trip reporting that you just can't get anywhere else.
Hey, I wrote about what I was doing and gave a breif summary of what they did while I was somewhere else!!! I could have just lied about it like someone else.

Quote:
No idea what that's like.
I can only imagine what will be in store for me a few years down the road.

Quote:
Hey, don't knock it till you try it. Truthfully it isn't really that intense. The lift hill is 90 degrees up, so you're laid all the way back as you climb, but the drop is more typical to what most other rollercoasters are. It doesn't go straight down, or pull you towards the Earth at a speed faster than gravity or anything!

It really is a fun ride, and even if someone is scared of heights, it shoudln't be bad, because the only really high part is the lift hill and because of the angle, you really can't tell how high you are anyway.

Quote:
I'm not. There just aren't as many suicidal people as you think out there.
This ride is so smooth, it makes Space Mountain feel suicidal by comparison. I'm telling you, you should try it!

Quote:
See the suicidal thing above.
Ok, I'll give you that one!

Tags
bar, csr, mvmcp, pop warner

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: