Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #166
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,394

about the rude parade family!! Why must people do that? Either find your place ahead of time, look for an OPEN spot right as it starts or just don't watch it.

I'm glad y'all were able to watch the parade along with the children from the nice family. That was very nice of y'all to let the children up with y'all.

Maybe one of these days I'll have to give Casey's Corner another try. We ate there for dinner on the night of the MVMCP back in 2010 and it made me . But, so many people like it.

Glad to hear DS ended up liking Pirates! Such a fun ride. And it just isn't a Disney vacation until someone picks up a sword in the gift shop.

Sounds like it was a really nice evening overall!!
amandaw is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #167
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,403

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
about the rude parade family!! Why must people do that? Either find your place ahead of time, look for an OPEN spot right as it starts or just don't watch it.
It wouldn't be Disney World without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I'm glad y'all were able to watch the parade along with the children from the nice family. That was very nice of y'all to let the children up with y'all.
Didn't bother us any. I'd definitely much rather have their kids see it than someone who's trying to block their view and ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Maybe one of these days I'll have to give Casey's Corner another try. We ate there for dinner on the night of the MVMCP back in 2010 and it made me . But, so many people like it.
I'd actually heard a lot of people say they were less than impressed by Casey's and the idea of a hot dog and fries for a QS credit has just always seemed like a waste to me. It was just convenient so we decided to eat there and we were pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Glad to hear DS ended up liking Pirates! Such a fun ride. And it just isn't a Disney vacation until someone picks up a sword in the gift shop.
Hmmm... new Disney rule. I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Sounds like it was a really nice evening overall!!
It definitely was!
afwdwfan is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #168
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,403

A (not so) Thrilling Safari

Tuesday, Dec 4


I woke up as usual, at around 6:30, refreshed after a good night’s sleep. I headed to Rix at a little after 7 to fill mugs and get a couple of pastries for breakfast. I took a couple of pictures of the resort as I walked.





I really loved the vegetation that lined the walk way to the bridge between the Dig Site and El Centro. What I didn’t love is the area just around that next bend where I seemed to encounter people sitting on a bench and smoking just about every morning. The first couple of times I encountered it, I just assumed it was just someone lighting up wherever they wanted. The way some of the Pop Warner crowd was acting, disregarding any posted rules seemed to be the norm at the resort. I thought about complaining, but I did check a resort map first. I’m glad I did, because that actually is a DSA. What I don’t get though, is why they put a DSA right there on a main walkway in the resort???

Anyway, I got our stuff and headed back to the room. I woke DW before I left to fill mugs, so I wasn’t thrilled to see that everyone was asleep when I got back. I woke her up again, and we hurried to get ready. Our park for the morning was to be Animal Kingdom and I hoped to be on the road by a little after 8. By the time we finally left, it was about 8:45.

We got to the park and the security line was fairly long. As we were waiting, a guy about 3 people in front of us got up to bag check. The CM checking the bags called something into his radio and another security CM came over and looked into the bag. They sent the guy on through, but before the guy got about 10 feet he was surrounded and whisked away. I have no idea what was in his bag, and I’ve never seen Disney security do anything like that before, but it was very quick and very impressive. Don’t mess with those dudes.

We made our way through bag check without any problems, but I’m not gonna lie. I was looking over my shoulder for a little bit after we walked away.

We decided the first order of business would be to head back to Africa for a Safari ride. We got back there and there was really no line, we kept walking all the way in to a waiting truck. I have to say, I’m glad they abandoned the whole “Red” story line. It just made it all seem a little too corny. That’s what the Jungle Cruise is for.

I will have to say though, that our driver could have used a little more personality. He was very well informed about the animals, or at least good at faking it. He could identify an animal, tell us its age, personality traits of that specific one, etc. But he sounded like Ben Stein. I mean just think of the Bueller… Bueller… scene from Ferris Bueller and imagine that type of intensity as you’re driving across a rickety bridge that’s crumbling beneath you.

I really wish they’d just scrap that thing too. What’s the point??? I think it would actually be a better ride if they didn’t make it so ridiculously rough. They could easily make the path smoother without killing the feel of the ride.

We finished our Safari, and Sis wanted to walk the trail. She was overruled. You don’t do an attraction that doesn’t even have a queue during the first hour of park touring. Come on! Instead, we were headed to Asia to look for a Yeti. Mom and Dad said they didn’t want to ride, so we sent them on to Dinoland to ride prehistoric Dumbo. It turns out they found a couple of friendly dogs that DS had to say hi to on the way.





As they headed off towards Dinoland, the rest of us headed into EE. The posted wait was 5 minutes, but once again, we didn’t stop until we were climbing into our seats. I just had to get my phone out on the ride to snap this picture.



After our ride, we headed over to DInoland and found Mom and Dad and the kids. DD had fallen asleep, and Sis saw something inside the gift shop she wanted to look at. I was looking at shirts all week, because I really wanted to get a Disney Christmas shirt.



I found this one, and I loved it… but they only had it in kids sizes. I was seriously considering seeing how much I could get a kid’s XL to stretch.

(Insert fat man in a little coat jokes here)

We finally got everyone pried away from the gift shop and headed over to ride Dinosaur. Dad didn’t want to ride it with his back problems, so he stayed with the kids while the rest of us went in. I really like this ride. I didn’t ride it last year, and I really was looking forward to it. I just don’t get why everybody thinks it is so scary though.

We survived our time travel journey and went back out to find Dad. It was actually almost 11:00 by then and DW and I really only had 1 more priority to do at Animal Kingdom. We were going to need to get back to CSR for some substantial nap time this afternoon, so it was time to head over to Flame Tree BBQ for some lunch. I LOVE Flame Tree. Seriously, where in the parks can you get more food for a quick service credit??? And on top of that, it is something a little different from the standard quick service menu. DW and I are the only ones in our family who had been there before, but everyone seemed to be glad we took them there for lunch. It was definitely a big hit.

We finished eating our meal and DW and I loaded the kids up and headed for the exit. The rest of the family planned to spend some more time in AK after lunch, but we were hoping to get DS to take a good nap.

We got to the room, and laid the kids down for naps. DD quickly fell asleep, but DS was a bit restless. We kept getting him just about calmed down and asleep when he’d hear some kind of a loud scream or shriek outside and realize he was about to fall asleep and snap back awake. Let me just say that I appreciate the fact that we didn’t have too many issues at night (aside from the first night), but it was almost pointless to take the kids back to the room during the afternoon for naps. There was just way too much noise and activity outside all afternoon long!!!! There was a big enough crowd at the Dig Site and they were making enough noise that it sounded like we were right there.

Once DS finally calmed down and went to sleep, I was the only one still awake. We were going to have to leave soon and I didn’t really feel like taking a nap at the time, so I headed out to walk around. We hoped to do some swimming this afternoon after naps, but DS took so long to go to sleep that it wasn’t going to happen. I figured I’d at least check out the pool situation and we’d try to do some swimming later in the week. I walked over to the Dig Site. Based on the noise I could hear from our room, I knew there would be a crowd, but I wasn’t ready for what I saw. I don’t think there could have been 10 gallons of water in that pool with all the people there were in it!!!! I have seriously never seen a pool that crowded anywhere. I don’t even know why you’d want to be in there with that many other people. There wasn’t even room to move.

I decided to check out the village pools and see if they’d work for us. Fortunately they weren’t quite as crowded, but they were definitely catching the Pop Warner overflow from the main pool. I was at least encouraged that we might be able to take DS to a village pool at some point though. He loves water, so we were really hoping to get him some pool time at some point.

I filled our mugs while I was out, of course, and then headed back to the room to get ready for our evening plans.


afwdwfan is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #169
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere
 
Captain_Oblivious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 8,093

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I thought about complaining, but I did check a resort map first. I’m glad I did, because that actually is a DSA. What I don’t get though, is why they put a DSA right there on a main walkway in the resort???
Yeah, that one's a mystery. Maybe the previous spot in the lake by the alligators was unpopular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Our park for the morning was to be Animal Kingdom and I hoped to be on the road by a little after 8. By the time we finally left, it was about 8:45.
Ever notice how Dad is always the only one ready to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
The CM checking the bags called something into his radio and another security CM came over and looked into the bag. They sent the guy on through, but before the guy got about 10 feet he was surrounded and whisked away. I have no idea what was in his bag, and I’ve never seen Disney security do anything like that before, but it was very quick and very impressive. Don’t mess with those dudes.
Maybe he had a Universal t-shirt in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I have to say, I’m glad they abandoned the whole “Red” story line. It just made it all seem a little too corny.


It was always a little lame that it basically involved driving a little faster until somebody called and said they caught the poachers, never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
But he sounded like Ben Stein. I mean just think of the Bueller… Bueller… scene from Ferris Bueller and imagine that type of intensity as you’re driving across a rickety bridge that’s crumbling beneath you.
With the right delivery, this could be funny. But I'm guessing his timing was off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I really wish they’d just scrap that thing too. What’s the point??? I think it would actually be a better ride if they didn’t make it so ridiculously rough. They could easily make the path smoother without killing the feel of the ride.
I kinda like the rickety bridges. You can have fun with the kids on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Mom and Dad said they didn’t want to ride, so we sent them on to Dinoland to ride prehistoric Dumbo.
Andy, I don't know how many times we have to tell you this, but that ride is COMPLETELY different from Dumbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
As they headed off towards Dinoland, the rest of us headed into EE. The posted wait was 5 minutes, but once again, we didn’t stop until we were climbing into our seats. I just had to get my phone out on the ride to snap this picture.
Great ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I was looking at shirts all week, because I really wanted to get a Disney Christmas shirt.



I found this one, and I loved it… but they only had it in kids sizes. I was seriously considering seeing how much I could get a kid’s XL to stretch.
It is a cool shirt. I hope you at least got one for DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
(Insert fat man in a little coat jokes here)
I think you just did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I really like this ride. I didn’t ride it last year, and I really was looking forward to it. I just don’t get why everybody thinks it is so scary though.
I like Dinosaur, too. I guess people don't think a dark dinosaur ride might involve loud roars and dinosaurs jumping out at them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I LOVE Flame Tree. Seriously, where in the parks can you get more food for a quick service credit??? And on top of that, it is something a little different from the standard quick service menu.
Agreed. Maybe the best counter-service in Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
We finished eating our meal and DW and I loaded the kids up and headed for the exit. The rest of the family planned to spend some more time in AK after lunch, but we were hoping to get DS to take a good nap.
Not big on actually seeing animals, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
There was just way too much noise and activity outside all afternoon long!!!! There was a big enough crowd at the Dig Site and they were making enough noise that it sounded like we were right there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I walked over to the Dig Site. Based on the noise I could hear from our room, I knew there would be a crowd, but I wasn’t ready for what I saw. I don’t think there could have been 10 gallons of water in that pool with all the people there were in it!!!! I have seriously never seen a pool that crowded anywhere. I don’t even know why you’d want to be in there with that many other people. There wasn’t even room to move.
Ugh. No thanks! Sounds like it's time to head back to the parks!
Captain_Oblivious is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #170
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Yeah, that one's a mystery. Maybe the previous spot in the lake by the alligators was unpopular.
That must be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Ever notice how Dad is always the only one ready to go?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Maybe he had a Universal t-shirt in there?
Hmmm... could be. I thought maybe he had some signs that he was going to use to protest the future addition of Avatarland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post


It was always a little lame that it basically involved driving a little faster until somebody called and said they caught the poachers, never mind.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
With the right delivery, this could be funny. But I'm guessing his timing was off.
Yes and yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I kinda like the rickety bridges. You can have fun with the kids on those.
Hey kids, this is what Daddy does everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Andy, I don't know how many times we have to tell you this, but that ride is COMPLETELY different from Dumbo.
You're right. They're in 2 different parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Great ride.
Best one there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
It is a cool shirt. I hope you at least got one for DS.
He will watch Phineas and Ferb from time to time, but is still more interested in Jake and Mickey. So no, he didn't get a Perry shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I think you just did.
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I like Dinosaur, too. I guess people don't think a dark dinosaur ride might involve loud roars and dinosaurs jumping out at them?
I don't know though, people are always scared by the one where it takes the picture, but it really doesn't even pop out. You can see it as you approach... It's a fun ride, but I don't think I've ever jumped or screamed on it.

You want scary, go look at those Aliens on the Great Movie Ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Agreed. Maybe the best counter-service in Disney.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Not big on actually seeing animals, huh?
Well, yes and no. We just didn't want to be in AK all day and there were particular areas of the park we had more interest in than others. We did hope to see the Lion King Show at 10:30, but we just ran out of time.

Now if we had actually arrived at the park before it had opened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Ugh. No thanks! Sounds like it's time to head back to the parks!
afwdwfan is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #171
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again
 
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Along the Nation Ford, SC
Posts: 5,984

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

I headed to Rix at a little after 7 to fill mugs and get a couple of pastries for breakfast.
A creature of habit I see…
Not that that’s a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

What I don’t get though, is why they put a DSA right there on a main walkway in the resort???
Because… ummmmm… hummmmm…
I got nothing. That one makes no sense


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

We got to the park and the security line was fairly long. As we were waiting, a guy about 3 people in front of us got up to bag check. The CM checking the bags called something into his radio and another security CM came over and looked into the bag. They sent the guy on through, but before the guy got about 10 feet he was surrounded and whisked away. I have no idea what was in his bag, and I’ve never seen Disney security do anything like that before, but it was very quick and very impressive. Don’t mess with those dudes.
Whoa…
My question for him would be why would you even consider bringing in what ever it was he brought in.
With that kind of a reaction, the error had to be stunningly obvious.

Would love to know what it was though…


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

We made our way through bag check without any problems, but I’m not gonna lie. I was looking over my shoulder for a little bit after we walked away.



Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

I have to say, I’m glad they abandoned the whole “Red” story line. It just made it all seem a little too corny.


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

That’s what the Jungle Cruise is for.



Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

But he sounded like Ben Stein. I mean just think of the Bueller… Bueller… scene from Ferris Bueller and imagine that type of intensity as you’re driving across a rickety bridge that’s crumbling beneath you.
“You know what? ... That makes me very mad…”



(That’s the image that came to my mind as you describe this.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

I really wish they’d just scrap that thing too. What’s the point??? I think it would actually be a better ride if they didn’t make it so ridiculously rough. They could easily make the path smoother without killing the feel of the ride.
We’ve actually skipped It the past couple of times.
It use to be the thing you arrived at AK’s rope drop to get to, but it hasn’t aged very well to be honest about it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

we sent them on to Dinoland to ride prehistoric Dumbo.

Proof that you can stick the same ride in ten different places.
And people will buy into it.

You should’a directed them to the Primeval Whirl
(then they’d have been more then ready to go back and try EE).


Actually I think that everyone running the marathons this weekend ought to have to stop and ride that one and then get back in the race.


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

As they headed off towards Dinoland, the rest of us headed into EE. The posted wait was 5 minutes, but once again, we didn’t stop until we were climbing into our seats.
Excellent!
It’s rare that you can just walk on to Everest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post




I found this one, and I loved it…
Nice!


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

but they only had it in kids sizes. I was seriously considering seeing how much I could get a kid’s XL to stretch.
“My brother looked like a tick that was about to pop.”

Ya’ should’a done it.
And you sould’a posted pictures of it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

We finally got everyone pried away from the gift shop and headed over to ride Dinosaur… I really like this ride. I didn’t ride it last year, and I really was looking forward to it. I just don’t get why everybody thinks it is so scary though.
Me too. This is a must do for us at AK. I don’t get the bad rap either, honestly.
I hear more folks complain about the ride vehicles being too herky-jerky.


These folks then usually head over to Africa to catch the Safari ride.



Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

We survived our time travel journey and went back out to find Dad. It was actually almost 11:00
So why didn’t you just put a little extra time back on the clock.
You had a time machine at you disposal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

it was time to head over to Flame Tree
Say no more, say no more…
Best QS at WDW right there.
Hands down!


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

We kept getting him just about calmed down and asleep when he’d hear some kind of a loud scream or shriek outside and realize he was about to fall asleep and snap back awake.
Don’t miss such things. Not one itty bitty little bit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

There was a big enough crowd at the Dig Site and they were making enough noise that it sounded like we were right there.
Long walk be danged, sounds like something even more remote would actually have been beneficial for y’all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

I don’t think there could have been 10 gallons of water in that pool with all the people there were in it!!!!
In December? Canadians… had to be.


Or as Indy might have put it:
“Canadians… Why did it have to be Canadians…”


Show a little back bone man!
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #172
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,403

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
A creature of habit I see…
Not that that’s a bad thing.
Well, once you figure out what time you have to get up and get going to get everyone else up and going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Because… ummmmm… hummmmm…
I got nothing. That one makes no sense
Glad I'm not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Whoa…
My question for him would be why would you even consider bringing in what ever it was he brought in.
With that kind of a reaction, the error had to be stunningly obvious.

Would love to know what it was though…


Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
“You know what? ... That makes me very mad…”



(That’s the image that came to my mind as you describe this.)
I can always count on you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
We’ve actually skipped It the past couple of times.
It use to be the thing you arrived at AK’s rope drop to get to, but it hasn’t aged very well to be honest about it.
We didn't ride it last year because DW was pregnant. We looked forward to it this time, but I didn't remember it being anywhere near this rough. I guess I must be getting old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post

Proof that you can stick the same ride in ten different places.
And people will buy into it.
Apparently so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
You should’a directed them to the Primeval Whirl
(then they’d have been more then ready to go back and try EE).
Well... height requirement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Actually I think that everyone running the marathons this weekend ought to have to stop and ride that one and then get back in the race.
I like it!!! It would be like that relay race game where you have to put your forehead on the end of a baseball bat and spin around in a circle and then try to run in a straight line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Excellent!
It’s rare that you can just walk on to Everest.
We thought about going after we rode Dinosaur, and actually took the long way around to go past there on the way to Flame Tree. The line had gotten significantly longer by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
“My brother looked like a tick that was about to pop.”

Ya’ should’a done it.
And you sould’a posted pictures of it.
True, but I didn't want to pay for a shirt that I really wouldn't be able to wear.

And in the case that I just tried one on without buying it, I didn't want to end up buying one when I ripped it trying to pull it back off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Me too. This is a must do for us at AK. I don’t get the bad rap either, honestly.
I hear more folks complain about the ride vehicles being too herky-jerky.


These folks then usually head over to Africa to catch the Safari ride.
Excellent point!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
So why didn’t you just put a little extra time back on the clock.
You had a time machine at you disposal.
Come on man!!! We didn't have time to be messing with the time machine. We had to get out of there before that asteroid hit!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Say no more, say no more…
Best QS at WDW right there.
Hands down!


Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Don’t miss such things. Not one itty bitty little bit.
Makes life interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Long walk be danged, sounds like something even more remote would actually have been beneficial for y’all.
Something more remote would have been closer to the parking lot. We were about as far from it as we could have been.

Any other week of the year, our room location would have been awesome. With Pop Warner, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
In December? Canadians… had to be.
Well, again, it was in the 80's every afternoon. I was ready to jump in and cool off. I just couldn't find any water big enough for me to squeeze in.
afwdwfan is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #173
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,394

I often find myself wondering about the logic of some of the DSAs chosen by Disney.

I have to know what was in that guy's bag!! That is absolutely crazy but good to know how quickly security was around him.

And even though y'all may have gotten off to a little bit later start, it sounds like y'all got a lot done at AK that day!

I agree with you - it's a good thing they took away the Little Red story from the safari. It made it seem like they were trying too hard.

Mmmmm.....Flame Tree BBQ. I'm sad we skipped it on our last trip. According to Ed, that's the only thing worth going to AK for.

The pool situation sounds crazy! No wonder it was so loud!

And I now have Chris Farley singing "Fat Man in a Little Coat" over and over in my head now. Thank you.
amandaw is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #174
SusieBea
DIS Veteran
 
SusieBea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Wayne, IN & Hilton Head Island, SC
Posts: 1,896

Fellow Hoosier, late to the party ... (figures)
__________________
DVC OKW since 1993
Off-site '75, 82, 85; 89: CBR; 92: PO: 93: Disney Inn; 94: OKW(2); 95: OKW(2); 96: HHI & OKW(2); 97: VB & OKW; 98: OKW(3); 99: OKW, DCL, & BW; 2000: OKW & VWL; 01: HHI & OKW; 02: Ft. Wild. cabins; 03: OKW & GF; 05: OKW, SSR, & Yacht Club; 06: OKW; 07: OKW; 08: Grand Californian; 09: OKW; 10: OKW(2) & OKW Grand Villa! 2011: AKV (2) & OKW (3); 2012: OKW (2) & OKW Grand Villa; 2013: OKW (3); 2014: BLT & Kidani; VGF & OKW; SSR & OKW; UPCOMING TRIPS: - 2015:
SusieBea is online now  
Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #175
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Yeah, that one's a mystery. Maybe the previous spot in the lake by the alligators was unpopular.
Ok, you reminded me about something and I had to go check with my sister last night after you made this comment. I kind of forgot about it, because I was busy scrambling all over the place, but when we were hauling stuff into our rooms and unpacking after we arrived at CSR, DS went for a walk with my sisters for a little bit. They were called over by a maintenance CM so that they could see this guy out getting some sun.



Yes, this is an alligator that was sitting on the beach at CSR, near one of the hammocks, just a few hundred feet from our room. They said he was about 3 feet long, but I'm sure his momma is bigger. And that is why you should never swim in a lake at Disney World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I often find myself wondering about the logic of some of the DSAs chosen by Disney.
Definitely. There was another one that DW was complaining about in one of the parks, but I forget which one it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I have to know what was in that guy's bag!! That is absolutely crazy but good to know how quickly security was around him.
I know. I really want to know what he had!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
And even though y'all may have gotten off to a little bit later start, it sounds like y'all got a lot done at AK that day!
Well, we got our priorities done. Would have liked to have seen the Lion King, but maybe next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I agree with you - it's a good thing they took away the Little Red story from the safari. It made it seem like they were trying too hard.


Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Mmmmm.....Flame Tree BBQ. I'm sad we skipped it on our last trip. According to Ed, that's the only thing worth going to AK for.
Well, I really do like Expedition Everest and Dinosaur. But Flame Tree definitely makes the top 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
The pool situation sounds crazy! No wonder it was so loud!
And I haven't even talked about the parents crowded around the bar yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
And I now have Chris Farley singing "Fat Man in a Little Coat" over and over in my head now. Thank you.
You're welcome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieBea View Post
Fellow Hoosier, late to the party ... (figures)
Better late than never!
afwdwfan is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #176
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere
 
Captain_Oblivious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 8,093

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post


Yes, this is an alligator that was sitting on the beach at CSR, near one of the hammocks, just a few hundred feet from our room. They said he was about 3 feet long, but I'm sure his momma is bigger. And that is why you should never swim in a lake at Disney World.
No worries. I'm sure it's animatronic.
Captain_Oblivious is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #177
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights
 
jedijill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,656

I was on a backstage tour and we saw a big one swimming in the pond by Space Mountain along that road that leads behind the MK. Our tour guide said that they leave the gators until they reach a certain size (3 feet I think) and then they capture and relocate them.

Jill in CO
__________________
jedijill is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #178
amazingact21
Upendi
 
amazingact21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northwest, FL
Posts: 2,751

I'm dying to know what was in that guy's bag! I saw someone at bag check once who had forgotten to take his pocketknife out of his bag. Security let him step aside and call someone to pick it up for him. They acted pretty nonchalant with the guy, so whatever was in that other guy's bag had to be pretty serious.


AK mornings are great, because you can virtually walk on Safari and EE over and over again that first hour and half. Glad you were able to get everything you wanted to accomplished before lunchtime.



I hate when pools are that packed. Like, how is that even fun. You can't actually swim with that many people in there. Was it like that your whole stay? That's making me a little nervous about going to WDW during the first week of December.
__________________
1 Family Vacation in 1998~ 5 Day Trips~ 8 On Site Stays to WDW between 5 resorts





Current Reports:Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle -A May '14 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
amazingact21 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #179
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!
 
khertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 5,471

Wow! I would love to know what they found in that guy's bag!! Good to know it isn't all "security theater" as it is often called over on the Theme Parks board. I would probably be a little nervous about going through bag check myself after witnessing that. Although about the worst thing they could confiscate from my bag would be diaper cream.

Bummer that your Safari driver wasn't good. Just like Jungle Cruise skippers, the driver can really make or break your Safari experience.

And really too bad about the nap situation. Naps can be so essential for your sanity when traveling with toddlers. I would have gotten totally annoyed!! We just had this discussion when planning our stay in Gatlinburg in April. The Wyndham we are staying at offers pool view rooms or woods view rooms. In the past I would have said pool, but now I'm thinking about naps & pool noise. Woods view please!!

I'm guess y'all are going to a party that night after the naps, so I hope DS's not so ideal nap didn't mess up the plans for that night!
__________________
Me DH DS (4)
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #180
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
No worries. I'm sure it's animatronic.
All the animals on Disney property are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I was on a backstage tour and we saw a big one swimming in the pond by Space Mountain along that road that leads behind the MK. Our tour guide said that they leave the gators until they reach a certain size (3 feet I think) and then they capture and relocate them.

Jill in CO
I'm sure the one at CSR was probably about ready for a new home then. I have to admit, I thought it was kind of cool and was more fascinated than scared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
I'm dying to know what was in that guy's bag! I saw someone at bag check once who had forgotten to take his pocketknife out of his bag. Security let him step aside and call someone to pick it up for him. They acted pretty nonchalant with the guy, so whatever was in that other guy's bag had to be pretty serious.
Oh yeah, I'm sure the pocket knife thing is probably a pretty common occurence. I'm glad mine stayed in my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
AK mornings are great, because you can virtually walk on Safari and EE over and over again that first hour and half. Glad you were able to get everything you wanted to accomplished before lunchtime.
Being there early always makes getting up worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
I hate when pools are that packed. Like, how is that even fun. You can't actually swim with that many people in there. Was it like that your whole stay? That's making me a little nervous about going to WDW during the first week of December.
I know, it was ridiculous, and it was like that all week. I wouldn't worry too much about being there that first week, as long as you're not at a Pop Warner resort.

Please heed this warning from my experience though... if you're staying at a resort that is going to be used for Pop Warner... RUN!!!!! Surely you can find a room elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Wow! I would love to know what they found in that guy's bag!! Good to know it isn't all "security theater" as it is often called over on the Theme Parks board. I would probably be a little nervous about going through bag check myself after witnessing that. Although about the worst thing they could confiscate from my bag would be diaper cream.
I know! It seems like they never want to dig too much once they see the diaper compartment though. They just kind of glance in, see a diaper or 2 and move on. Makes you wonder what kind of surprises they may have run into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Bummer that your Safari driver wasn't good. Just like Jungle Cruise skippers, the driver can really make or break your Safari experience.
Eh, it was ok. Just not exciting. We did get to see a lot of animals though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
And really too bad about the nap situation. Naps can be so essential for your sanity when traveling with toddlers. I would have gotten totally annoyed!! We just had this discussion when planning our stay in Gatlinburg in April. The Wyndham we are staying at offers pool view rooms or woods view rooms. In the past I would have said pool, but now I'm thinking about naps & pool noise. Woods view please!!
I love Gatlinburg in the spring!!! We go around that time on even number years. I'm not sure where the Wyndham is located there, but I'd tend to pick a woods view over a pool view just about anywhere in Gatlinburg even if noise wasn't a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I'm guess y'all are going to a party that night after the naps, so I hope DS's not so ideal nap didn't mess up the plans for that night!
Actually, it worked out fine. He got plenty of nap time in. We just wanted it to be earlier so he'd have a chance to swim afterwards.
afwdwfan is offline  
 

Tags
bar, csr, mvmcp, pop warner



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: