Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #91
Disneybuckeye
DIS Veteran

No rants here. Yes, I bought all the gifts (even my own), wrapped them all, did all the decorating (DH did put the tree up and the lights on), but I am just thankful that I am able to do it and we have the means to have a nice Christmas. I wish everyone else could too!

This will be our second Christmas without my dad. Last year we were all in Florida where we buried him (he was cremated) and held the burial the Friday before Christmas, so we really did not have time to think about it really being a holiday This year will be a lot tougher I am sure.

Enjoyed a great March 2011 trip staying at the Boardwalk.
Enjoyed a great December 2011 trip to our home resort VWL with a short visit to see Harry Potter.
Enjoyed a great October 2012 trip at BLT.
Enjoyed a last minute surprise trip to Disneyland February 2013.
Enjoyed a great October 2013 trip to Saratoga Springs with our daughter and her college friends
Disneybuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #92
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
Here is my rant...DS15 goes to a Catholic HS, he has a priest who has had the boys "adopt" as pen pals some of the nuns in a local nursing home. They wrote letters in Oct and now he is having them send Christmas cards...super sweet right?

Except this dingaling priest has certain criteria for the cards, and if they are not met the kids lose points on their next test! They can not make cards. They must be Christmas cards, they must be blank inside so they can write their own personal greeting (that is nice), and they must NOT say Merry Christmas... why you ask bc that according to Fr Thom is not the correct way to say the greeting it should be Happy Christmas! WTH??????

DS15 and I have gone to several stores, I looked all over the mall today and then we ran to one last store when we picked up pizza. We found cards that have a Nativity scene on the front, a small greeting so plenty of room to write a msg, and they say something about a Blessed Christmas.

I have no idea if he will give my DS a hard time about his cards...he is ecentric like that. To me this takes away from the nice deed of writing the cards for the nuns!!!!!!
A Catholic here who works in the church

Sometimes the priests are just out of touch with reality, aren't they? Like the ones who say this is Advent and wait until Christmas Day to enjoy the season-WTH. Many of the things to enjoy will be gone Christmas afternoon!
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #93
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
A Catholic here who works in the church

Sometimes the priests are just out of touch with reality, aren't they? Like the ones who say this is Advent and wait until Christmas Day to enjoy the season-WTH. Many of the things to enjoy will be gone Christmas afternoon!
I met him he seems like a sweet man. He gave a absolutely beautiful homily about Mothers and Sons and had his mom there at a recent breakfast.

The actual idea of sending the cards is super sweet, why make so many restrictions, I mean I could get asking that they be religious in nature vs secular, it is a Catholic school, nuns are getting them. Great we remember the true meaning. But the rest was crazy, I never realized that they dont seem to make blank cards! And if these things are that important than have the kids make the cards on the computer and they can have all that and the moms (bc they are freshman, dont drive) dont have to drive them all over the place in an attempt to find these things!
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #94
Jaya
DIS Veteran

Quote:

and they must NOT say Merry Christmas... why you ask bc that according to Fr Thom is not the correct way to say the greeting it should be Happy Christmas! WTH??????
Is he British? Some of my British friends say "Happy Christmas" instead of "Merry Christmas".
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #95
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

My Christmas rant is Christmas parties that are pot-luck and no one labels their dish with ingredients or even vegan etc. I have allergies and end up having only plain meat and veggies from the crudities because those are the only things I know are safe.
Also parties at church that say no children and are right after church. What do you do with the kids?

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #96
lyncecelia
DIS Veteran

My rant is small...but I am stressed because I've been so concentrated on finals that I haven't been able to get in the Christmas spirit. I also got FH some nice presents, but now he is all stressed out because he's afraid I "got him more" and that it's a competition....when it isn't. I got the presents because I love you dork and had the money this year because I had the misfortune of losing my Nana which resulted in an inheritance....I'm not trying to outshine you! GRR!!! It's Christmas not a "who loves who more" competition! He's been so hung up on "matching" me....I want him to enjoy the season not worry about that....and I try to tell him but he doesn't listen /endrant

Me (26)DH (34) *DH's Kids*:DSS13DSD12DSD11 DSS7
Met on the DIS, and going strong
May 10th 2010-First date at Kona...October 2011-first trip together...April 21st-29th 2012-first trip with the kids...October 3rd-6th 2012-adults only trip...January 9th-13th 2014-planning session and birthday trip for DSS1...February 2014-Valentine's Day Getaway...May 16th-24th 2014-wedding trip (WP/LSS/Sago Cay), honeymoon, and birthday trip for DSS2...December 4th-7th 2014-birthday trip for DSD2...March 14th-16th 2015-birthday trip for DSD1

Hear me on: ...On a mission to become a healthier me! I have lost:
lyncecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #97
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here is my rant...DS15 goes to a Catholic HS, he has a priest who has had the boys "adopt" as pen pals some of the nuns in a local nursing home. They wrote letters in Oct and now he is having them send Christmas cards...super sweet right?

Except this dingaling priest has certain criteria for the cards, and if they are not met the kids lose points on their next test! They can not make cards. They must be Christmas cards, they must be blank inside so they can write their own personal greeting (that is nice), and they must NOT say Merry Christmas... why you ask bc that according to Fr Thom is not the correct way to say the greeting it should be Happy Christmas! WTH??????

DS15 and I have gone to several stores, I looked all over the mall today and then we ran to one last store when we picked up pizza. We found cards that have a Nativity scene on the front, a small greeting so plenty of room to write a msg, and they say something about a Blessed Christmas. But DS is super worried bc they are not blank inside!!!!!!

I have no idea if he will give my DS a hard time about his cards...he is ecentric like that. To me this takes away from the nice deed of writing the cards for the nuns!!!!!!
Nothing like sucking all the joy out of doing something nice!
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #98
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Is he British? Some of my British friends say "Happy Christmas" instead of "Merry Christmas".
One of the store clerks mentioned that when I asked...he does not sound like he is...like I said he is just quite ecentric
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #99
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

My rant is really just feeling sad at the fact that I am not buying a single present for ds18. He's graduating in January (4 months early) and going to boot camp for the Marines in February. So he asked for cash, which makes sense since he can't take anything to boot camp etc.

But when I wrapped up dd's presents and put them under the tree, it really made me sad. I am proud of him for going into the Marines, but I am sad he's growin up and away from me and the fact that Christmas morning will consist of me giving him some cash. I intend to wrap it in a box but not buying him anything seems kind of blah to me.

I also think just knowing that he's leaving in less than two months is hitting home to be big time.

A co worker has a son who is two and she is so excited buying him gifts and seeing his excitement regading the tree and decorations.

It sure goes fast.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #100
lyncecelia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy&Dan View Post
My rant is really just feeling sad at the fact that I am not buying a single present for ds18. He's graduating in January (4 months early) and going to boot camp for the Marines in February. So he asked for cash, which makes sense since he can't take anything to boot camp etc.

But when I wrapped up dd's presents and put them under the tree, it really made me sad. I am proud of him for going into the Marines, but I am sad he's growin up and away from me and the fact that Christmas morning will consist of me giving him some cash. I intend to wrap it in a box but not buying him anything seems kind of blah to me.

I also think just knowing that he's leaving in less than two months is hitting home to be big time.

A co worker has a son who is two and she is so excited buying him gifts and seeing his excitement regading the tree and decorations.

It sure goes fast.
I've seen things where you get a box of chocolate, but take all the chocolate out and put money in all the little cubby-wrappers....could you do that to give it a project to wrap at least?

May 10th 2010-First date at Kona...October 2011-first trip together...April 21st-29th 2012-first trip with the kids...October 3rd-6th 2012-adults only trip...January 9th-13th 2014-planning session and birthday trip for DSS1...February 2014-Valentine's Day Getaway...May 16th-24th 2014-wedding trip (WP/LSS/Sago Cay), honeymoon, and birthday trip for DSS2...December 4th-7th 2014-birthday trip for DSD2...March 14th-16th 2015-birthday trip for DSD1

Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #101
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

I don't feel like putting our tree up.
And I don't feel like making a big old turkey dinner for Christmas.

Our tree : It is big. Not super big - only 6 foot, but it is so round. I want a smaller one. As it is, I have no idea where we will put it in our house. The house is a 3 bedroom, 1000 square feet house. Our front room/living area already has a lot in it. I am tempted to just try to trade our tree for a smaller 4 foot one or something with someone. It is a nice tree, just too big for us.

As for Christmas : We already had a Happy Christmasgiving on Thanksgiving. My brother and his family were up from Minnesota and we celebrated both Christmas and Thanksgiving with them at the same time.
I am tempted to just make Lasagne and Spaghetti and have garlic bread, salad, a couple other sides, and pie for Christmas dinner. We already had our big Christmas thing, and as long as you spend it with family, it shouldn't really matter what the meal is.

Not feeling super festive. Too much has been going on. Nothing bad. But the holidays are always so busy.
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #102
avgeek81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyncecelia View Post
My rant is small...but I am stressed because I've been so concentrated on finals that I haven't been able to get in the Christmas spirit. I also got FH some nice presents, but now he is all stressed out because he's afraid I "got him more" and that it's a competition....when it isn't. I got the presents because I love you dork and had the money this year because I had the misfortune of losing my Nana which resulted in an inheritance....I'm not trying to outshine you! GRR!!! It's Christmas not a "who loves who more" competition! He's been so hung up on "matching" me....I want him to enjoy the season not worry about that....and I try to tell him but he doesn't listen /endrant
My friend got his SO a new computer but since her birthday is in Jan he is going to give it to her then so she cant compare what she got him. He, like you can afford it and doesnt want it to be a big deal
avgeek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #103
lyncecelia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by avgeek81 View Post
My friend got his SO a new computer but since her birthday is in Jan he is going to give it to her then so she cant compare what she got him. He, like you can afford it and doesnt want it to be a big deal
See...I don't have that advantage...our birthdays are 5 days apart as well (November 10th for him and November 15th for me) so if I wanted to give it for a birthday he'd still be comparing..... Most years he has a lot more money than I do though, so I don't get what the big deal is....heck even with my inheritance he still has more money than me this year....I just don't want it to be a competition....

Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #104
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtbmom View Post
My family is not big into exchanging gifts. I ask my mom what she'd like to do and we decide to do simple 15$ stockings, I thought for each other. Then she calls last night to tell me that she told my brothers SO about the stocking idea. Um what, I was only planning on buying for her and my dad and now I have to buy for brother, SO, and her three kids? I need to fix this!
I would like to announce that I have resolved my Christmas rant! I called my brother today to invite them over Christmas morning for brunch and asked if they wanted to exchange gifts, he agreed that he'd rather not! Yeah pressure is gone, Christmas is saved! Good luck to everyone.
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #105
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtbmom View Post
I would like to announce that I have resolved my Christmas rant! I called my brother today to invite them over Christmas morning for brunch and asked if they wanted to exchange gifts, he agreed that he'd rather not! Yeah pressure is gone, Christmas is saved! Good luck to everyone.
Best decision my family ever made was to end Christmas gift exchanges between our siblings. There are 5 of us, with 5 spouses and a total of 8 kids. We live from one coast to the other, in 5 different states. It is exceedingly rare for us to see each other during the holidays, so drawing names just didn't make any sense. The last time we mailed gifts was about 22 years ago. I remember it clearly--I had just dropped off my shipping, to the tune of $140! I was so upset I had to go lie down. What I could have done with $140! So after Christmas I called my sibs and we struck a deal--no more gifts, except for the kids. And the kids age out after HS graduation. Instead of making gifts to each other (and face it, we're all grown ups who can go buy whatever we need) we give to various charities in honor of our sibs. Works for me!

I love doing it this way. We still call and keep up with each other all the time, but without the stress of the shopping, wrapping and shipping. I just wish my DSil would go for it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: