Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #31
bored
Mouseketeer

My rant is people have over commercialized Christmas. It's not about presents and decorations it's about Jesus coming to earth and being born as a man. Rant over!
bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #32
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
My Christmas rant is my job. I am a contract attorney. I've read a lot of DIS threads this year about having to pay for your own company party, or how big the bonus is.

-no Christmas bonus
-no Christmas party, paid for by us or otherwise
-we can have Christmas eve and day off, but we won't get paid for either, so if I want to earn any money Christmas week I need to be back at work on Wednesday, and maybe work Saturday to make up for missing 2 days

I am kind of surprised they even heat the building for us.
We don't get a Christmas bonus, we don't get a Christmas party, we have to work Christmas Eve and they DO NOT heat our building, you should see me sitting at my desk with a sweatshirt, scarf, hood up, gloves and a blanket over my legs with my space heater on high under my desk. Tomorrow I need to bring a beanie, it's about 20 degrees in here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr55 View Post
My only rant is that I wish my mother could be here for Christmas. I got through Thanksgiving without her (she just passed this October) but it was beyond hard. I have good days, I have bad days, and I have days where I can't stop sobbing. I'm really just hoping that I can make it though Christmas morning and evening without breaking down infront of everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superme80 View Post
:We can't afford Christmas gifts! I don't want to ear what everyone else is doing for Christmas. I don't want to hear how DH's boss just got to go to Disneyland while we are struggling to pay bills and groceries! I am thankful that we have grandparents who love to buy our kids toys. I am just praying the toys the boys want are in stock right before Christmas.

DBF doesn't shop for anyone but me either, I bought his parents gifts and I'll be looking at Amazon for his sister and her kids, I also buy for everyone in my family. Drives me nuts, I even buy my own stocking stuffers, otherwise I have none. One year I didn't get myself anything and only had a candy bar and had to explain to the kids (who still believed) why Santa only gave me 1 candy bar. Oh, and I have DD12's 13th birthday Saturday and DBF's birthday a couple weeks after Christmas, and let me tell you, if we don't do something or give him gifts he flips out. lol

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #33
mom to minnie&mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Oh, I have a brand new rant. I just plugged the tree in (usually have it off during the day) and the middle string of lights (right in the middle of the tree) does not work.

Are you freaking kidding me???? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???

Screw it. The damn things can stay un-lit.

Omg the exact same thing happened to me the day after I decorated the entire tree (literally it took me the whole day). I debated just leaving it but it really did not look festive, my poor tree looked tired and beaten. Took me another hour or so to remove decorations to get to the string of lights which was connected to more lights etc. ugh! Hate those middle strings lol. Happy holidays everyone!
mom to minnie&mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #34
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathalee81 View Post
Oh, please, can you post a photo of Santa Alien! I don't think I have ever seen one of those before!
As soon as I can get one of my dkids to take a pic I will post it. (I don't have that capability on my phone. )

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #35
XYSRUS
DIS Veteran

I have to work Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas. Now my stupid MIL wants to come over Christmas day-my only day to relax-UGH. I'll see them on Christmas eve. Why do they have to ruin my Christmas?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #36
mom to minnie&mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My only rant is that I wish my mother could be here for Christmas. I got through Thanksgiving without her (she just passed this October) but it was beyond hard. I have good days, I have bad days, and I have days where I can't stop sobbing. I'm really just hoping that I can make it though Christmas morning and evening without breaking down infront of everyone.

May peace be with you and your family.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #37
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom to minnie&mickey View Post
Omg the exact same thing happened to me the day after I decorated the entire tree (literally it took me the whole day). I debated just leaving it but it really did not look festive, my poor tree looked tired and beaten. Took me another hour or so to remove decorations to get to the string of lights which was connected to more lights etc. ugh! Hate those middle strings lol. Happy holidays everyone!
The lights must have decided to stay on my good side, because when I went to show my DD the offending lights, they were miraculously lit.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #38
mom to minnie&mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The lights must have decided to stay on my good side, because when I went to show my DD the offending lights, they were miraculously lit.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #39
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh, I have a brand new rant. I just plugged the tree in (usually have it off during the day) and the middle string of lights (right in the middle of the tree) does not work.

Are you freaking kidding me???? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???

Screw it. The damn things can stay un-lit.
This is what happened when I went to put up the tree---you know, the tree I swore I wasn't going to put up since DH is having surgery tomorrow and won't be able to lift anything over 15 lbs. for 6-8- weeks so I'll be putting all the decorations away. Anyhow, I played with it and played with it and finally just took it as a sign from God that it was ok not to have a tree Not so fast though--DH decides that we really need a new tree (seriously!!!????) so goes out and buys another prelit one. Well, at least it worked. So now I'm still stuck having to take down the tree and stash it (along with all the other stuff DH keeps dragging out of storage) by myself. Merry Christmas to me.
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #40
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Mine is so little compared to everyone else you see I was supposed to see my dad some time this month but the plans got changed and I wont see him till Jan and I miss him so much. but at least he is still alive
Old 12-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #41
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I still miss my Mother especially around the holidays. She's been gone 10 years now. Every December I get an amaryllis bulb and watch it grow. Mother LOVED amaryllis and marveled at how quickly they grew! I smile every time I see it in my kitchen window.

I hope that your raw grief subsides and that you'll be able to remember all the wonderful times you and your DM had and smile. I have a mental catalog of experiences in my head of some fun and crazy times my DM and I had together. And, OMG, they are legion and a huge source of comfort for me.
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #42
LisaInNc
Succulent Wild Woman

My rant is that my daughter will be turning 12 on Christmas Eve and it's just gone by too damned fast!

Lisa
LisaInNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #43
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

My DH and I were having some problems and we separated for a week (now he's back ). I was so not in the mood for Christmas but I forced myself to decorate, shop and mail out cards this past weekend...just need to wrap and buy a few last things. May not bother with cookies this year, though I bought a jumbo roll of choc chip cookie dough at Giant today...so that may be it for cookies. I definitely am NOT doing the annual gingerbread house with my DDs....just don't want to clean up that mess and they aren't asking about it, so....
Also, I somehow hurt my big toe...didn't really do anything to it...just woke up Saturday morning and couldn't walk on it. Went to urgent care yesterday and they took an xray...didn't really see anything but put it in a big splint and gave me crutches and told me to stay off it for about 3 days. I am also supposed to go to an orthopedic. I left there, got in my car, yanked off the splint and ditched it and the crutches...just don't have time to be bothered with this and it's likely nothing wrong. I stayed off it most of the day today and it was feeling better, so I got up and cooked dinner and cleaned up the kitchen (wiped up, swept and did dishes)...now it's killing me again. Arghhhhhh!!!

So sorry for those of you who are having your first Christmas without a loved one. I hope you can find some peace and joy during the holiday.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #44
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I hate my Christmas tree this year. We decided to get rid of our regular lights and go with LEDs this year, and it looks awful, even the kids think so. The rest of the house looks so warm and welcoming, but the living room looks like a nightclub, I don't even want to turn the tree on. Not to mention, my beloved star topper doesn't work with them either so I just stuck a stupid bow up there. I know its a pretty petty rant but its really ruining my Christmas spirit!
Well hopefully you will look back and laugh about the year the tree made the house look like a nightclub. Sorry it's not the look you were going for. We still have the old style lights so I appreciate the warning about the new kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superme80 View Post
:We can't afford Christmas gifts! I don't want to ear what everyone else is doing for Christmas. I don't want to hear how DH's boss just got to go to Disneyland while we are struggling to pay bills and groceries! I am thankful that we have grandparents who love to buy our kids toys. I am just praying the toys the boys want are in stock right before Christmas.
I'm sorry, that is tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
No rants here. DH is a huge help with the decorating, purchasing, shipping and cleaning.
Are you posting so those of us with less than helpful DHs can throw snowballs at you to feel better? DH likes to conveniently help just a little towards the end of it all then sit back and say "wow, hon, you did a great job, sorry I wasn't able to help more" I just wanna smack him by that point but I"m too darn tired!

Quote:
I'm so sorry.

Quote:
They must have sensed your anger and the potential outcomes. Of course, if it were my house, they'll behave nicely until Christmas morning then go out just in time for everyone to be sitting around the tree for pics or gift openings.

My rant is over DD18 flying out to see her bio dad "since he's alone" for the holidays. This is only the 2nd Christmas we've ever spend apart since he usually came to see her or didn't visit at all at the holidays. I nicely bit my tongue and didn't mention the choices he's made that has led to him being "alone" and how we've missed her at college this semester.

Yeah, I know we're driving distance close and he's hundreds of miles away but I would not have moved this far if he'd been a more consistent visitor earlier on. I'm glad I raised a considerate DD but still... not sure he deserves all that she gives to him.

ANd the kicker is that I had to buy her ticket and he is paying me back when she visits. He will and may send extra but still. I know, I should have insisted on him sending payment but she was the one who set all this up and really wanted to go.

Now it will just be the 4 of us since it's my parents year to see my DB then they'll fly out to us 2 days later. DD will be home that day too but Christmas Day we'll be home alone.

I think that's why I'm having issues getting in the mood. It's not going the way I want it *stomping my feet*. In all, I am thankful we will all be together at some point.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #45
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
My DH and I were having some problems and we separated for a week (now he's back ). I was so not in the mood for Christmas but I forced myself to decorate, shop and mail out cards this past weekend...just need to wrap and buy a few last things. May not bother with cookies this year, though I bought a jumbo roll of choc chip cookie dough at Giant today...so that may be it for cookies. I definitely am NOT doing the annual gingerbread house with my DDs....just don't want to clean up that mess and they aren't asking about it, so....
Also, I somehow hurt my big toe...didn't really do anything to it...just woke up Saturday morning and couldn't walk on it. Went to urgent care yesterday and they took an xray...didn't really see anything but put it in a big splint and gave me crutches and told me to stay off it for about 3 days. I am also supposed to go to an orthopedic. I left there, got in my car, yanked off the splint and ditched it and the crutches...just don't have time to be bothered with this and it's likely nothing wrong. I stayed off it most of the day today and it was feeling better, so I got up and cooked dinner and cleaned up the kitchen (wiped up, swept and did dishes)...now it's killing me again. Arghhhhhh!!!

So sorry for those of you who are having your first Christmas without a loved one. I hope you can find some peace and joy during the holiday.
I was going to offer how sorry I was about you and your DH, but then I saw the eye roll, so not sure what to say now.

I'm sorry he came back?
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: