Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #196
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Teacher here. I do give assignments to my students over Christmas break but I gave them to them yesterday and today (we are on block so I don't see everyone every day.). They are not very complicated and they don't require any extra books or material unless they have to look something up. They are on photo copies so they are portable and not in a book to lug around.

I teach AP calc and when we get back we only have 4 months left. We lost 2 weeks because of the hurricane but I would still be giving it even if we didn't.

I know vacations are time off but I do give them the work early so if they have obligations they can do it before break even begins.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #197
nuttylawprofessor
Green is edgyWhat kinds of goodies have people found so far?
I keep my mickey hidden

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
Teacher here. I do give assignments to my students over Christmas break but I gave them to them yesterday and today (we are on block so I don't see everyone every day.). They are not very complicated and they don't require any extra books or material unless they have to look something up. They are on photo copies so they are portable and not in a book to lug around.

I teach AP calc and when we get back we only have 4 months left. We lost 2 weeks because of the hurricane but I would still be giving it even if we didn't.

I know vacations are time off but I do give them the work early so if they have obligations they can do it before break even begins.
Like I said, joy.
nuttylawprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #198
Patience
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttylawprofessor

Like I said, joy.
I agree. Joy.

To the algebra teacher poster who assigns work over the holidays, will you be working during your Christmas vacation?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #199
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Man when I was a kid over here we got all sorts of stuff to do over the holidays waaaay too much, not to mention the trip letters sent out 24 hours before, or in some cases after LOL, the trip was due to start, the late minute costume things for Christmas plays etc... I don't know how my mother coped! I'd have gone stir crazy as a parent. One simple algebra project doesn't seem too bad if its a sheet based thing.

I was a teachers pet, so I did it all, or I wouldn't sleep :P I think that was the one time my parents regretted raising such a straight laced kid, when I kept bugging them for help on 28th December or some such.

Christmases have sort of devolved into an alternating pattern now... This year my paternal grandmother got diagnosed with terminal cancer, last year was ok, the year before that my father got pneumonia (he recovered well though), but the year before that was ok. I guess that would be my rant.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #200
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post

I wish my kids went to a school that got done for the year in April.

I guess for some teachers, students shouldn't get a break, only teachers.

Nutty Professor, I'd be passing on that project and sending a note in with my child that we're busy over break. And if she gives you grief, repeat what you said in your earlier post.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #201
EMHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I agree. Joy.

To the algebra teacher poster who assigns work over the holidays, will you be working during your Christmas vacation?
I am willing to bet that we have several teachers on the disboards here. I would appreciate their input on if they work any during the time class is not in session over the Christmas break. If so, how much. I am leaning towards the idea that they do and would be appreciative to have that confirmed or refuted.

Teachers, any thoughts?

Check it out. Leave A Comment. Hope it helps you to have a Magical Day!

*7/2009 - Offsite 7 Day Disney Vacation: First Family Disney Vacation (DS3yo, DW 8 months pregnant)
*9/2010 - Offsite 3 Day Disney Vacation (DS4yo, DS1yo)
*10/2011 - MNSSHP: One night of Disney (DS5yo, DS2yo)
*6/2012 - Offsite 8 Day Disney Vacation (DS5yo, DS2yo)

EMHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #202
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
I wish my kids went to a school that got done for the year in April.

I guess for some teachers, students shouldn't get a break, only teachers.

Nutty Professor, I'd be passing on that project and sending a note in with my child that we're busy over break. And if she gives you grief, repeat what you said in your earlier post.
AP exams are in the beginning (very beginning) of May.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #203
clm10308
DIS Veteran

Teacher and parent here. I can see the situation from both sides. As a teacher(elem level), I would want kids to have some assignments to do over the break so that they do not forget what they have learned.

That being said, last Christmas when I was not working, my4th grade DS had a packet of worksheets to complete over the break. We did pack them on our 10 day trip to Disney, but of course he did very little. He ended up having to finish everything in the last 2-3 days of his break.

His teacher this year is not big on homework, so I will have to make a point to make my DS read over the break.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #204
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

As a mom of great students, they need the breaks. I am not concerned that they will have "brain drain" if they don't study or read over the break.

My kids do summer AP assignments. I realize how rigorous those classes are and how it's necessary to get a jump start, but elementary level--come on...

College kids get a month off between Christmas semesters to regroup and recharge.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #205
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

okay, hopefully, this will be my LAST rant for this Christmas holiday season! (probably not, but one can always dream, lol)

our office will be closed from december 24th through january 1st, 2012. i am TRYING to get everything done, so, naturally, my boss decides he needs to "take it easy" this week, and he's only been in the office for a total of 3 hours the entire week! HOW am i supposed to get his approval for all of these things when he's not around?

oh, and while i'm at it, he originally gave me until january 4th off, but, now, he's decided to move the church's accounts to a different bank, so he's going to need my help with that, and he wants me to do the bulletin that week as well (he had originally told me not to worry, he'd take care of it), so, guess who will be going into work the day i get back from DD15's marching band trip to the sugar bowl? MOI! after riding a bus home all night (8-9 hours)! woohoo!
Old 12-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #206
superme80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
okay, hopefully, this will be my LAST rant for this Christmas holiday season! (probably not, but one can always dream, lol)

our office will be closed from december 24th through january 1st, 2012. i am TRYING to get everything done, so, naturally, my boss decides he needs to "take it easy" this week, and he's only been in the office for a total of 3 hours the entire week! HOW am i supposed to get his approval for all of these things when he's not around?

oh, and while i'm at it, he originally gave me until january 4th off, but, now, he's decided to move the church's accounts to a different bank, so he's going to need my help with that, and he wants me to do the bulletin that week as well (he had originally told me not to worry, he'd take care of it), so, guess who will be going into work the day i get back from DD15's marching band trip to the sugar bowl? MOI! after riding a bus home all night (8-9 hours)! woohoo!
Sounds like your boss and my husband's boss are the exact same person! He pulled that this year too!
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 9 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #207
Danauk
I would be sitting on the patio of the Fontana bar at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas watching the dancing fountains on a warm balmy night whilst sipping vintage Champagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMHDad View Post
I am willing to bet that we have several teachers on the disboards here. I would appreciate their input on if they work any during the time class is not in session over the Christmas break. If so, how much. I am leaning towards the idea that they do and would be appreciative to have that confirmed or refuted.

Teachers, any thoughts?

Primary school teacher here (5th grade), although in the UK. We broke up for our 2 week Christmas break yesterday. Today myself and my teaching assistant are going into school to do some prep for next term (doing a display in our room and outside around our door plus I have some photocopying that needs to be done for the 1st week back.) Over the break I have lesson plans to write and resources to prepare for various different lessons for next term. I also have some analysis to do from testing that we did last week to ensure that each child in my class is given tasks to do that specifically target their individual needs when I am doing my planning. This will probably take 2 or 3 days to do, so over the 2 week break I will spend 3 or 4 days on school work.

As for homework, I did not give any out to my children. When we get back the workload for my class will increase as they are in their final year of primary school and have their exams to sit in May. I wanted to give them a break.
Disneyland Paris: Aug 1998 (off site - honeymoon), Easter 2004 (Hotel New York), Feb 2005 (off site), April 2008 (Hotel New York), October 2008 (Disneyland Hotel), November 2008 (Hotel New York), August 2013, Halloween 2013, New Year 2013/4, August 2014, New Year 2014/15 WDW: August 2003 (Beach Club Villas - 5th anniversary), Christmas/New Year 2005/6 (Beach Club Villas), August 2009 (Animal Kingdom Lodge savanna view - 11th anniversary) Disneyland: August 2008 (Grand Californian, theme park view - 10th anniversary)
Danauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #208
dogluva
DIS Veteran

Yes I work. Sped teacher who has a ton of kids being reviewed in January. So yes I will be writing reports and Ed plans. No real break for me. Teachers can't win anyway. You would have those parents who complain when there are no assignments. Their kid is bored!

I don't get why a parent would care, are you doing the project or your kid? I let my kids do their own work.
dogluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #209
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluva View Post
Yes I work. Sped teacher who has a ton of kids being reviewed in January. So yes I will be writing reports and Ed plans. No real break for me. Teachers can't win anyway. You would have those parents who complain when there are no assignments. Their kid is bored!

I don't get why a parent would care, are you doing the project or your kid? I let my kids do their own work.
My high school aged kid is on her own. If she says she has work over break, I'll agree with her that is sucks and that will be the end of the conversation. But if my elementary aged kid gets work over break, I'm going to be really irritated.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #210
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluva View Post

Yeah, but if you have planes to go out of town for any length of time, it can really screw things up. I see no need for teachers to give assignments over the holidays, with maybe the exception of reading. Our school district rearranged the calendar for that kids would have finals before Christmas break, that way no homework over the holidays.

Oh and sorry you don't have a break, but it is called your job. Most people don't get 2 weeks either, but these are kids and they aren't employed in a full time job and getting paid. Christmas break should be left alone.

ETA, None of my kids or my friends with kids have EVER complained about them being bored. They somehow find something to do.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: