Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #181
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttylawprofessor
Twenty minutes ago, I had no response to this thread.

Then my kid's teacher sent home her Christmas present to us: a project. Write a brochure discussing the global water problems and solutions, with illustrations of course. It's due the day the kids return from break.

Joy.
I hate when that happens!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #182
Ephany
DIS Veteran

My in-laws (BIL and SIL) have decided not to have kids. That's all fine and dandy except they think their dogs are our fur-nephews? They have birthday parties with guests for their pets, the whole she-bang. Normally we just laugh it off, but when they send an email asking what my dogs want for Christmas and not my CHILD, it's a little much. It's no big deal if they don't want to send DD presents or a card, she has plenty. Heck, the last time they were in our area they didn't even call, DH found out about their trip on Facebook. Just please don't expect me to treat your pets at the same level as my child or my human nieces and nephews.

And I'm fully aware this is a very petty, minor rant.
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #183
disneyfans95
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephany View Post
My in-laws (BIL and SIL) have decided not to have kids. That's all fine and dandy except they think their dogs are our fur-nephews? They have birthday parties with guests for their pets, the whole she-bang. Normally we just laugh it off, but when they send an email asking what my dogs want for Christmas and not my CHILD, it's a little much. It's no big deal if they don't want to send DD presents or a card, she has plenty. Heck, the last time they were in our area they didn't even call, DH found out about their trip on Facebook. Just please don't expect me to treat your pets at the same level as my child or my human nieces and nephews.

And I'm fully aware this is a very petty, minor rant.
100% agree. We have a dog we love and spoil rotten.

That said, he is a DOG.. I hate when people try to insert them as their kids and act like we care that Rex got a new collar this week.. We don't..
disneyfans95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #184
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttylawprofessor

Then my kid's teacher sent home her Christmas present to us: a project. Write a brochure discussing the global water problems and solutions, with illustrations of course. It's due the day the kids return from break.

Joy.
Oh I'm sorry but your post just made me laugh. Merry Christmas huh? Sounds like that teacher is in a bah humbug mood herself!!
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #185
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttylawprofessor View Post

Joy.
That teacher would be getting an email from me saying "so sorry, we will have no time to work on a project while we are on Christmas break, too much already planned" lol My DD would do it anyway but I'd still send that message. lol

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #186
EMHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesmurfs View Post
I'm reading a really interesting ebook from the library, called "The Battle for Christmas." If you like history, it would be interesting for you to see -- Christmas was only a religious holiday from the mid 1800's, and had actually been banned by the Puritans.
Why yes, the Puritans made the Celebration of Christmas illegal in accordance with their understanding of the holiday. Just another way I am thankful not to be a puritan. lol

Check it out. Leave A Comment. Hope it helps you to have a Magical Day!

*7/2009 - Offsite 7 Day Disney Vacation: First Family Disney Vacation (DS3yo, DW 8 months pregnant)
*9/2010 - Offsite 3 Day Disney Vacation (DS4yo, DS1yo)
*10/2011 - MNSSHP: One night of Disney (DS5yo, DS2yo)
*6/2012 - Offsite 8 Day Disney Vacation (DS5yo, DS2yo)

EMHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #187
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMHDad View Post
Why yes, the Puritans made the Celebration of Christmas illegal in accordance with their understanding of the holiday. Just another way I am thankful not to be a puritan. lol
I think if you looked into the actual origins of Christmas and why the particular date was chosen for it, you'll find it has nothing to do with Jesus's birthday.

But since you're a Pastor, I assume you already know that.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #188
EMHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
I think if you looked into the actual origins of Christmas and why the particular date was chosen for it, you'll find it has nothing to do with Jesus's birthday.

But since you're a Pastor, I assume you already know that.

Do I know that origins of Christmas? Yes, I do.

*7/2009 - Offsite 7 Day Disney Vacation: First Family Disney Vacation (DS3yo, DW 8 months pregnant)

Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #189
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMHDad View Post
Do I know that origins of Christmas? Yes, I do.
I was referring to why December 25th was chosen as the date of celebration.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #190
EMHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
I was referring to why December 25th was chosen as the date of celebration.
yes

Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #191
Bnb0627
Mouseketeer

So DH just springs on me tonight that he really wants a guitar, not just any guitar but a very specific expensive guitar and a Guiness kegerator for Xmas. Ummm really you tell me this one week before Christmas?? Two months ago he said we weren't exchanging gifts and it will be all about the kids. One month ago he said well u know I could really use a couple new Adidas sweatsuits you can just make them for Christmas and ill get you a couple things you want/need. Tonight he's joking around that he's getting me an iPhone 5 and a Coach bag and few other things and all he's gonna get is clothes from me. I am so mad, how can you spring $1000 worth of gifts on someone in such short notice and then be disappointed when you don't get it? Time to grow up!
Bnb0627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #192
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Not really a vent, but just a lot of stress built up.

In October my mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer. If she does well on the chemo they expect her to make it to my graduation in the spring, but not sure on anything beyond that. So this could realistically be my moms last Christmas.

Luckily we did get the okay from the doctor to go up and see her family for 2 weeks. Of course, she had chemo last week so this week she is really fatigued (usually week 1 is a lot of nausea, week 2 is fatigue (numbers drop a lot this week), week 3 she starts to feel normal, and then back to chemo (though we get an extra week for the holiday this round). So now I am trying to figure out how we are going to make the trip! Once there we will be fine as there will be a lot of extra hands (and I give thanks every day for my family and their support. They have flat out said they want me to relax the next couple of weeks and just have fun and enjoy myself while they help out.).

I am mostly worried about her getting in and out of the car (rental SUV since we have to take a wheelchair, oxygen, gifts, luggage, other medical supplies, etc) for restroom breaks. We are looking at about 4 for the 7-8 hour drive (I have a medical condition and have to use the rest room pretty much like clockwork at 2 hours). I mean, I know the fatigue is "normal", but that doesn't make it any less stressful especially with the trip being added into it. Hopefully a few more days of rest and eating food (she doesn't eat well the week right after chemo) will help her get enough strength back that it won't be as much of a concern but... UGH!

On top of that is dealing with some members of the family that I would rather NOT. One is my cousin who is... well... not very trustworthy. As such, I have to figure out a way to hide my mom's meds while we are there because I honestly do not trust her. Plus, she doesn't parent her children so we also have to be sure to have all of that locked up to the kids don't get into it. The second is my other cousin's husband's family. I love this cousin and her husband... but his mom and foster brothers are... well... nuts. His mom doesn't discipline and the brothers are out of control. There is a good chance they may not be invited to the normal Christmas Eve dinner so that my mom doesn't have to deal with it.

Thank you all for letting me get some of it out!

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #193
Ephany
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
Not really a vent, but just a lot of stress built up.

In October my mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer. If she does well on the chemo they expect her to make it to my graduation in the spring, but not sure on anything beyond that. So this could realistically be my moms last Christmas.

On top of that is dealing with some members of the family that I would rather NOT. One is my cousin who is... well... not very trustworthy. As such, I have to figure out a way to hide my mom's meds while we are there because I honestly do not trust her. Plus, she doesn't parent her children so we also have to be sure to have all of that locked up to the kids don't get into it. The second is my other cousin's husband's family. I love this cousin and her husband... but his mom and foster brothers are... well... nuts. His mom doesn't discipline and the brothers are out of control. There is a good chance they may not be invited to the normal Christmas Eve dinner so that my mom doesn't have to deal with it.

Thank you all for letting me get some of it out!
Can you buy a lock box or a small safe and leave it in the rental SUV? It's not really convenient, but at least you'll know that the meds will still be there.
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #194
nuttylawprofessor
Green is edgyWhat kinds of goodies have people found so far?
I keep my mickey hidden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320 View Post
Oh I'm sorry but your post just made me laugh. Merry Christmas huh? Sounds like that teacher is in a bah humbug mood herself!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by superme80 View Post
Oh man would I be mad!
Oh but wait, there's more! Teacher has missed many days of school this year. Many. Now she'll be missing the last two days of this week.

We scheduled our vacation so we wouldn't miss school. Then we had to reschedule thanks to school schedule changes from the teacher strike. We rescheduled AGAIN to accommodate another schedule change because some parents and teachers weren't happy with the first new schedule. Now she sends work for us over break while padding her break. Nice. This has not been a good school year.
nuttylawprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #195
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttylawprofessor View Post
Oh but wait, there's more! Teacher has missed many days of school this year. Many. Now she'll be missing the last two days of this week.

We scheduled our vacation so we wouldn't miss school. Then we had to reschedule thanks to school schedule changes from the teacher strike. We rescheduled AGAIN to accommodate another schedule change because some parents and teachers weren't happy with the first new schedule. Now she sends work for us over break while padding her break. Nice. This has not been a good school year.
If it were me, I would talk to the principle about it (explaining just what you did here). I was prepared for this same situation last year. The prior year, DD's teacher gave her projects over every break (assigning them the day before the break and having them due the day they got back). We had a cruise scheduled for Spring Break last year (flying out Saturday morning, cruising Sunday to Sunday and they flying home Sunday afternoon). I was fully prepared to tell any teacher that assigned a project and the principle that DD would not be doing them over break.

Our district is really strict about time off for illness and vacation. So we pay extra to vacation during school breaks and summer. So if I'm going to do my part and not take my child out when school is in session, then they need to do their part and allow breaks to be just that...breaks.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: