Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #136
acmeyer
Earning My Ears

This isn't so much a rant as just a downer. My dh was diagnosed with Stage 3b colon cancer on December 9th and will probably be starting chemo around Christmas eve or the day after Christmas. Really having a very hard timing wanting anything to do with Christmas. If it wasn't for 11yr old dd I would be yanking down the tree, the outdoor decorations and everything. He is understably depressed and I gotta be the strong one.
acmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #137
superme80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmeyer View Post
This isn't so much a rant as just a downer. My dh was diagnosed with Stage 3b colon cancer on December 9th and will probably be starting chemo around Christmas eve or the day after Christmas. Really having a very hard timing wanting anything to do with Christmas. If it wasn't for 11yr old dd I would be yanking down the tree, the outdoor decorations and everything. He is understably depressed and I gotta be the strong one.
I am so sorry to hear this.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 9 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #138
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh, I am so sorry!
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #139
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
I am so sorry you and he are going through all this
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #140
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy&Dan
My rant is really just feeling sad at the fact that I am not buying a single present for ds18. He's graduating in January (4 months early) and going to boot camp for the Marines in February. So he asked for cash, which makes sense since he can't take anything to boot camp etc.

But when I wrapped up dd's presents and put them under the tree, it really made me sad. I am proud of him for going into the Marines, but I am sad he's growin up and away from me and the fact that Christmas morning will consist of me giving him some cash. I intend to wrap it in a box but not buying him anything seems kind of blah to me.

I also think just knowing that he's leaving in less than two months is hitting home to be big time.

A co worker has a son who is two and she is so excited buying him gifts and seeing his excitement regading the tree and decorations.

It sure goes fast.
Also, there are clever ways to fold money or clever ways to present it-singles all taped together End to end and coming out of a tissue box. Google it or look on Pinterest for ideas.

Could you make a box of munchies and maybe movie passes so he can spend some time with friends before he leaves? Gift certs to something fun he can do with friends?
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #141
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdelight View Post
oh my, really?!
that' s just insane.
What, YOu didn't get your new Lexus with a big red bow on top? I feel sure that mine will be in the drive way on Christmas morning.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #142
packedforadventure
Earning My Ears

I'm finding it hard to break away from long held family traditions to create new traditions with my boyfriend. He is from England and away from his family during the holidays, so I want to incorporate some of his ideas, but my family is so stuck in doing things a certain way. I'm tired of the traditions and want to change things up, but in a way that doesn't create drama. I have a super small family, so backing out, isn't a good option. sigh.

http://www.*****************************
packedforadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #143
sharbear
DIS Veteran

I think I found my tribe here. Trying not to think about why I'm annoyed it will just get me worked up and I'm trying to avoid that.
sharbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #144
Debbie7452
Aspires to be a Tag Fairy
Official Race Team Manager

So sorry to the lady who's DH has cancer! That is awful and you are being very brave for your child's sake.

Mine is a selfish vent I'm afraid. I invited my Mom over on Christmas day. She was excited and accepted. We are trying to exchange gifts with my mom, sis, and nephew before Christmas, but I cannot host this year(have hosted for the last 25 years or so). Sis is resisting having it at her house. What is the big deal? I have done it all this time!! During these negotiations, sis invited Mom over also on Christmas day. Mom now wants to go there so "sis doesn't get her feelings hurt". Ummm, ok? The kicker is that my husband and two of my kids don't care for sis, so won't attend get together. If my mom doesn't come here Christmas day she will be skipping seeing them at all, but she will be seeing sis twice. I know it sounds petty and small....
Debbie7452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #145
cindermomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Before I say my rant - just wanted to give you a big hug. You are very strong - keep being strong. I am sending every positive thought, love and hugs your way.

My rant - which seems very petty now - is that I wish we had a big, family Christmas to go to. It will be just me, DH and DS12 (as it is for EVERY holiday). But, my two younger cousins are coming over the Sunday before Christmas, so I am very happy about that. Also - I never know what to get people for gifts.

Port Orleans - French Quarter (2004)
POP (2005)
ASSports (2007)
POP (2010)
ASMovies (2011)

ASMusic (2013)
ASMusic (2014)
cindermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #146
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:
Oh sweetie, I am so sorry. Wishing him successful treatment and all of you hopeful prayers ( if you don't mind them).
okeydokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #147
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

First prayers for your dh and family during this difficult time acmeyer!

My rant is that it annoys the daylights out of me when people do the "twelve days of Christmas" before Christmas. The 12 days of Christmas are the days of the Christmas season which starts on Christmas and goes to the Epiphany (also known as Three Kings Day celebrating the 3 wise men bringing their gifts to the Christ-child) on Jan 6 so it is AFTER CHRISTMAS not before!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #148
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus77 View Post
First prayers for your dh and family during this difficult time acmeyer!

My rant is that it annoys the daylights out of me when people do the "twelve days of Christmas" before Christmas. The 12 days of Christmas are the days of the Christmas season which starts on Christmas and goes to the Epiphany (also known as Three Kings Day celebrating the 3 wise men bringing their gifts to the Christ-child) on Jan 6 so it is AFTER CHRISTMAS not before!
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #149
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry for the poster whose husband has cancer. My rant seems so minor now.

I'm annoyed with my inlaws for inviting themselves for Christmas and my husband for saying yes without telling me. And he didn't ask when they would arrive and how long they are staying.

He thinks it's no big deal but this is our busiest time of year for the part time internet business, the house hasn't been cleaned decently in a month (or dusted for the past 4), the kids rooms are disasters.

He spent yesterday cleaning the basement which they are never going to see instead of helping clean upstairs.
And instead of using the shop vacuum in the basement, he took my good vacuum which I needed and clogged it up. I told him never to use my good vacuum in the basement again or I was going to be furious. He didn't care - he laughed.

So now I've got to do a complete house cleaning plus all the normal stuff, buy extra gifts for them because my husband doesn't want them to feel left out during the gift opening, and try to keep up with packing and shipping orders.

Plus I am still trying to christmas shop, write christmas cards and wrap the gifts. Some need to get sent to my nieces and nephews still so I need to get to those today.

Sorry for the long vent. Yesterday was a long day.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #150
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post
I'm so sorry for the poster whose husband has cancer. My rant seems so minor now.

I'm annoyed with my inlaws for inviting themselves for Christmas and my husband for saying yes without telling me. And he didn't ask when they would arrive and how long they are staying.

He thinks it's no big deal but this is our busiest time of year for the part time internet business, the house hasn't been cleaned decently in a month (or dusted for the past 4), the kids rooms are disasters.

He spent yesterday cleaning the basement which they are never going to see instead of helping clean upstairs.
And instead of using the shop vacuum in the basement, he took my good vacuum which I needed and clogged it up. I told him never to use my good vacuum in the basement again or I was going to be furious. He didn't care - he laughed.

So now I've got to do a complete house cleaning plus all the normal stuff, buy extra gifts for them because my husband doesn't want them to feel left out during the gift opening, and try to keep up with packing and shipping orders.

Plus I am still trying to christmas shop, write christmas cards and wrap the gifts. Some need to get sent to my nieces and nephews still so I need to get to those today.

Sorry for the long vent. Yesterday was a long day.
You know what? I'd tell your DH since *he* is the one that invited them and doesn't want them to be "left out" of gift giving, he can be the one to do the shopping for them.

If he can't be bothered, neither can you.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: