Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #811
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

We arrived back home from Disney in the wee hours of Sunday, the 2nd, and we are suffering from serious Disney withdrawals already. We gave Port Orleans French Quarter a try for one night prior to our CBR package and I have to admit that we missed the CBR terribly. While the French Quarter was a lovely resort, it wasn't for us. We are from Louisiana and the theming of the FQ is that which we see every day which is what we were afraid of. At least now, we can say that we tried it.

As far as our CBR stay goes, we were extremely satisified with our stay. There were baseball teams staying in Barbados and they were loud and, basically, took over the Barbados swimming pool and beach. However, after a few days, they were gone and all was right again with the world.

Like another poster, I did do some snooping around to spot those two "sample" or "mock" (for lack of better words) that are supposed to be in Jamaica but I never did see them. They were still working on parts of Jamaica and were washing the roofs in Aruba. To me, it looks like the yellow wasn't quite as bright as before. My husband said that he didn't really see any difference so maybe I was imagining things.

I will be writing a full review of our stay when I start my trip report. Hopefully, I'll get to work on that in the next day or so. It all depends on how busy I am at work.

For those of you traveling to Caribbean Beach in June, I picked up a copy of the June Recreation Activities flyer. I can't seem to get Photobucket to work for me right now. I'll try again tomorrow. If nothing else, I'll type out all of the details and post them here.

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #812
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Welcome home Lisa!! So glad CBR was good to you guys again. We too have stayed at POR and POFQ and definitely prefer CBR over both of them. They are both nice resorts, but there's just something about CBR that says "home". I know you just got back, but looking forward to another awesome McBride trip report.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #813
wayneJR
Earning My Ears

just booked for 2014

four of us booked for nov 2014 cant wait
Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #814
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Good morning everyone! Just poking my head in over here to gather some info for someone.
Venomhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #815
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Good morning everyone! Just poking my head in over here to gather some info for someone.
Morning Venomhatch. Let us know if there's something specific you need to know.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #816
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Morning Venomhatch. Let us know if there's something specific you need to know.
Well even as a CM I haven't had time to venture over to that resort. Some questions were where the preferred rooms are typically located at? Since you know POR's ones were right by the main building. Another question was typically what are considered the best spots to try for when trying to get the best room so to speak with views, location, etc. Sort of like going to POR and requesting to be as close to South Depot as possible so then you have Main Food Court, amenities, and all the best location rooms in my opinion. I know they wanted to try for a beach view and be close to the main building and pool. They paid for a water view but would be willing to upgrade to a preferred if it would give them a better experience.

Would building 25 be a good call?

Last edited by Venomhatch; 06-05-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #817
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well even as a CM I haven't had time to venture over to that resort. Some questions were where the preferred rooms are typically located at? Since you know POR's ones were right by the main building. Another question was typically what are considered the best spots to try for when trying to get the best room so to speak with views, location, etc. Sort of like going to POR and requesting to be as close to South Depot as possible so then you have Main Food Court, amenities, and all the best location rooms in my opinion. I know they wanted to try for a beach view and be close to the main building and pool. They paid for a water view but would be willing to upgrade to a preferred if it would give them a better experience.

Preferred rooms are in Martinique 24, 25, 26, Trinidad North 31, 32 and 33. Just like at POR, you can book preferred and request a water view or book water view and request preferred.

My opinion is that it is a waste of $$ to pay for a water view at any of the moderate resorts. With no balcony, in order to enjoy the view you will have the blinds wide open and with the outside corridors people can see in when walking by. Again, that's just our opinion on views at a moderate. Now when staying deluxe, we definitely will pay for a good view.

Having said all that, yes, Martinique 25 is a great location. One of the things we love about CBR is that every village, and OPR, has it's own bus stop. So you are never far from one. My suggestion to people is to book preferred and request a water view. Again, just like POR there really are no bad views with the lush landscaping. There are no direct parking lot views.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #818
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post

For those of you traveling to Caribbean Beach in June, I picked up a copy of the June Recreation Activities flyer. I can't seem to get Photobucket to work for me right now. I'll try again tomorrow. If nothing else, I'll type out all of the details and post them here.

We leave on Friday so I would love to hear the activities.

Glad you had a great stay...cant wait for our trip...
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #819
MyMagicKingdom
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Quote:
Preferred rooms are in Martinique 24, 25, 26, Trinidad North 31, 32 and 33. Just like at POR, you can book preferred and request a water view or book water view and request preferred.

My opinion is that it is a waste of $$ to pay for a water view at any of the moderate resorts. With no balcony, in order to enjoy the view you will have the blinds wide open and with the outside corridors people can see in when walking by. Again, that's just our opinion on views at a moderate. Now when staying deluxe, we definitely will pay for a good view.

Having said all that, yes, Martinique 25 is a great location. One of the things we love about CBR is that every village, and OPR, has it's own bus stop. So you are never far from one. My suggestion to people is to book preferred and request a water view. Again, just like POR there really are no bad views with the lush landscaping. There are no direct parking lot views.
We stayed at Martinique 25 and loved it...it was a really short walk to OPR, pools etc. We got on the bus really quickly.
We did book water view and while it was pretty, I agree that it wasn't worth the money because its not like you can really sit out there and enjoy it without the balcony. We saw more of the water on the walk to OPR.
We didn't ask for preferred but the CM saw my dad walking in with us (he recently had knee surgery) and pretty much took care of us. BTW, we drove from NY down and got there way earlier than expected...we got to CBR at 5 am! and they got us into our room and everything..just as an aside, the CMs there were wonderful!
*June 2009 (Honeymoon!!!) ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)/The Polynesian (Aotearoa)/Disney Wonder*
*August 2010 ~ Pop Century ..... First time celebrating my birthday in WDW and DS' first WDW trip!!!!!!*
*August 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge....My bday (again!) and DS' first trip to WDW!!! *
*January 2013 ~ Caribbean Beach*
*November 2013 ~ Caribbean Beach...surprise trip for the kids!!! First MVMCP!!!! *
MyMagicKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #820
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Just checked into CBR!! We are in Martinique 21, second floor. Room was ready when we got here a little before 10, and we did not do online checkin (just fyi). Everything is clean and looks great! We have the new white bedspreads.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #821
Linda T.
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to reading your trip report Lisa. We tried POR one time and we missed CBR so much that year. So there is never a discussion as to where we are staying because the answer from the girls is "CBR".

Glad you had a great trip. We leave July 13th and can't wait!!!
May, 1979 - Offsite; June, 1995 - CBR; June, 1997 - CBR; June, 1999 - POR; July, 2001 - CBR; April, 2005 - Disneyland; July, 2005 - CBR; July, 2007 - CBR; July, 2010 - CBR; July 2011 - CBR; July, 2013 - CBR; Next Trip - Christmas, 2014 - BCV

Linda T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #822
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabyblues View Post
Just checked into CBR!! We are in Martinique 21, second floor. Room was ready when we got here a little before 10, and we did not do online checkin (just fyi). Everything is clean and looks great! We have the new white bedspreads.
Try and take some pics of the new layout and post them if you don't mind and its not too much trouble.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #823
amberc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
[COLOR="Teal"

For those of you traveling to Caribbean Beach in June, I picked up a copy of the June Recreation Activities flyer. I can't seem to get Photobucket to work for me right now. I'll try again tomorrow. If nothing else, I'll type out all of the details and post them here.[/COLOR]
We are heading there the last week of June, so I'd love to see this as well. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #824
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Welcome home Lisa!! So glad CBR was good to you guys again. We too have stayed at POR and POFQ and definitely prefer CBR over both of them. They are both nice resorts, but there's just something about CBR that says "home". I know you just got back, but looking forward to another awesome McBride trip report.
We wanted to try out a new resort even if it was for just one night and settled on French Quarter. Like I said above, it felt too much like what we see here in Louisiana so it didn't feel "unique" to us.

I started my trip report if you want to follow along.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #825
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

June recreation activities

Photobucket and I are still feuding with each other so I'll type out the June Recreation Activities flyer that I picked up.

3:00: Don't Miss the Jammin' Pool Party Bash! Bring the whole family for fun and exciting games during our daily pool party! The excitement continues at 4:00 p.m. with our Island Dance Party Extravaganza each day. Show off your moves to classic line dances right on the pool deck!

8:30: Movies Under The Stars: Joine us each night for one of your favorite Disney movies outside in the moonlight next to Banana Cabana.

Sunday: The Lion King
Monday: Lady and the Tramp
Tuesday: Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey
Wednesday: Mulan
Thursday: Oliver and Company
Friday: Peter Pan
Saturday: Monsters, Inc.

Poolside Activities: Join us for these family friendly activities each day at Fuentes del Morro Pool. Pool hours and lifeguard availability vary by pool and are subject to change.

Sunday:
1:00: Caribbean Close Counts
2:00: Water Relays
2:30: Mickey Who?
3:00: Pool Party bash
4:00: Island Dance Party Extravaganza
4:30: Caribbean Photo Scanvenger Hunt
5:30: Beachy Bean Bag Toss
6:30: Caribbean Campire located on Martinique Beach

Monday:
1:00: Disney Trivia
2:00: What would you do?
2:30: Beach Ball Blast
3:00: Pool party bash
4:30: Water balloon games
5:30: Tropical ring toss
6:30: Caribbean campfire located on Martinique beach

Tuesday:
1:00: Don't forget the Disney lyrics
2:00: Bingo
2:30: Musical stars
4:30: Paradise pool games
5:30: The perfect match

Wednesday:
1:00: Disney shout-out
2:00: Hula hoop games
2:30: Notable quotables
4:30: Pirate pitchburst
5:30: On target

Thursday:
1:00: What would you do?
2:00: Paradise pool games
2:30: Coconut bowling
4:30: Jammin' giant games
5:30: Mickey who?

Friday:
1:00: Disney trivia
2:00: Beach ball blast
2:30: Bingo
4:30: Pirate pitchburst
5:30: The perfect match

Saturday:
1:00: What's in your Caribbean Beach bag?
2:00: Water basketball
2:30: Name that WDW attraction
4:30: Name that tune
5:30: What would you do?
6:30: Caribbean campfire located on Martinique Beach

Without typing out ALL of the details on the marina, arcade, guided fish excursions and pirate cruise listed, I'll simply post the hours/contact info:

Barefoot Bay Boat Yard/Bike Works: Open daily from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Goombay Games Arcade: Open 6:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

Guided Fish Excursions: 7:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. daily. 407-WDW-BASS

Islands of the Caribbean Pirate Cruise: Ages 4 to 12. Sunday, Tuesday and Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.. 407-WDW-PLAY

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: