Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
MegMac
Earning My Ears

Polynesian Refurb - Closing Rooms?

We are going in October (3-9) for my 30th Birthday. We want to stay at The Polynesian, but booking it has been a nightmare. At first, the only available rooms were suites (only 3 people, we don't need that much space). Now it isn't available at all. Is the new construction causing them to block out rooms? Does anyone know if these will open back up closer to time?

I have never stayed at The Polynesian. Last year, we took the monorail there every morning for Tonga Toast!
MegMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

I'm not up to date on the construction at the Poly, but will point out that that is the same period as a lot of fall breaks, food & wine festival, some conventions, etc. that in the past several years filled up some of the deluxe resorts.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
MegMac
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
I'm not up to date on the construction at the Poly, but will point out that that is the same period as a lot of fall breaks, food & wine festival, some conventions, etc. that in the past several years filled up some of the deluxe resorts.
Thanks grimley...we always go this week, so I knew it would be a factor. We booked at Yacht Club in them mean time...just thought it was odd that Yacht Club had availability even thought it was closer to EPCOT. Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

I looked during that time as well (that happens to be our fall break - if we go at all this year that's when we'll go). Not only was the Poly not available, but many other deluxe resorts were not available either, most of which do not have any DVC construction going on. As of just now, even Yacht Club is booked, according to the Disney website. Beach Club is about the only EPCOT area deluxe resort I saw that had availability.

Even though the Poly is a MK monorail resort, many consider it almost an EPCOT resort because of the direct EPCOT monorail within easy walking distance. The F&W festival really does impact resort availability.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
kneedeep
Loving the Florida life

Aside from room availability (or lack thereof), you may want to look into how the construction will affect the amenities at the Poly during your dates. I don't know all the specifics, but I have read that many on these boards plan to wait until after the construction ends to return to that resort.

Yacht Club is very close to Epcot's International Gateway and all of the Food and Wine Festival offerings, so that could end up being a very nice alternative if nothing at the Poly opens up ...
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Yacht Club is very close to Epcot's International Gateway and all of the Food and Wine Festival offerings, so that could end up being a very nice alternative if nothing at the Poly opens up ...
As of just now, even Yacht Club showed no availability.

I saw another post about this particular week a minute ago, and it brought up the race that goes on at DHS, which I'd forgotten (I think it's on 10/4 or 10/5). For whatever reason, there's just a glut of reasons to be at WDW that week: the race, F&W, a large convention in the EPCOT area, fall breaks for many school districts, and late in that week Columbus Day weekend crowds start to arrive.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Besides all the has been mentioned already, they have taken 3 long houses out of inventory to be converted to DVC. They are Tokelau, Tahiti and Rapa Nui.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
MegMac
Earning My Ears

Thanks to everyone - it's gotten rather frustrating. To us, The Polynesian has the best spots for eating...especially breakfast. The Contemporary is amazing because of location/monorail, but the breakfast selections last year were disgusting. We ate here the first day and never again. We do still ride the rides, but one of the main reasons we go is the FOOD! I will keep watching
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM   #9
LittleMrsP
Earning My Ears

Gartner -ITxpo

The week you are looking at is during a huge conference, Gartner, that is held at the Swan & Dolphin. Most of the deluxe hotels are reserved for conference attendees. I have to attend every year for work, I've stayed at WL for two years and just booked my room at the Poly for this year's event. It's probably why most of the dates you are looking for during that week are showing as unavailable.
LittleMrsP is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: