Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
v.t.
DIS Veteran

YMCA of the Rockies, anyone vacation there?

One of my DH's co-workers adopted a cabin at the YMCA in Estes Park and has offered to make reservations for us. The cabin is a little more than we normally spend. Is it worth it? We were planning a 2-week trip to Yellowstone, but now we may do 1 week in Yellowstone and 1 at the cabin. Has anyone ever stayed there? It showed a lot of activities for the kids (14 & 11), which I would enjoy. But I am not sure if it is worth the price.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

We stayed there over the 4th of July this year. Its really really nice and I would describe it as very upscale. Tons of activities and things for adults and kids but you are also able to do your own thing.

I would recommend it!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
disykat
DIS Veteran

I just went and looked at their website because when we went there years ago it wasn't upscale! The dorm we stayed in is still there and still in use, but it did look like they had lots of newer fancier options.

It depends on where you stay how upscale it is.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

YMCA of the Rockies is right outside of Estes Park and butts up to Rocky Mountain National Park. It is beautiful. There is a ton of stuff to do there. I haven't stayed there for years but I believe that they have several different styles of cabins/dorms that range from very basic to more upscale.

I hope you know that its a full day's drive from Estes Park to Yellowstone to figure drive time between the two areas.

Jill in CO
Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
v.t.
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info. The cabin we have been invited to was remodeled about 2 or 3 years ago. Glad there are activities for the kids. That won't make me miss disney so much.
We do know it is a long drive between the two parks, but I didn't want to have to drive back to Yellowstone next year. So we are going to get it all done this year. I hope 1 week is long enough for Yellowstone.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.t. View Post
Thanks for the info. The cabin we have been invited to was remodeled about 2 or 3 years ago. Glad there are activities for the kids. That won't make me miss disney so much.
We do know it is a long drive between the two parks, but I didn't want to have to drive back to Yellowstone next year. So we are going to get it all done this year. I hope 1 week is long enough for Yellowstone.
I think 1 week would be plenty of time - depending on what you are doing and when you are going. And depending on traffic - which is always horrid during tourist season, you can spend a full day on each loop to see the main areas. Then there are things to do at the gates.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

We had a 50-person family reunion there in two "family reunion cabins." It was wonderful. We used several of the facilities and also did some day trips. I went rafting on the Colorado River and to a Rockies game. We had a four-year-old and he went out in a boat and rode a pony.

That was several years ago, and, while it was wonderful, it was NOT upscale.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
SanBlan11
Earning My Ears

YMCA of the Rockies Fan

YMCA of the Rockies is our go to, long weekend place. We love it but have only gone in the winter. They do have plenty of activities available as well as a great pool. We have always stayed in cabins and really enjoy that. We like to save money by cooking easy meals in our cabin but there are restaurants onsite. It is not far from Rocky Mountain Nat. Park entrance. I would call the whole place more family friendly than upscale but like I said we do love it.
SanBlan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
v.t.
DIS Veteran

If there is a bathroom with a shower in the cabin, that is upscale for us. I was looking at all the activities and I think the kids would really enjoy it. So, I guess I need to start planning the Yellowstone part.

Thanks again!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: