DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
emmababy
DIS Veteran

Beach suggestions

We are doing 4 days at WDW and 3 at beach in June. We want to drive part way home, so our choices are
St. Augustine
Tybee island
Hilton head

We did Hilton head last year and enjoyed it. Was leaning toward Tybee so we could do Savannah too, but it might be too remote for us. There are 5 of us. Me, hubby, kids are 2,4,6. Any tips appreciated!

We live in cinti, so tybee or hhi would shorten our drive home....
SSR- August 2011

DVC HHI- June 2012
emmababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Out of the 3 that you listed, I have only been to St. Augustine, however that was about 20 some years ago, I am guessing a lot has changed since then . I would love to go back there some day because from what I remember, the beach was gorgeous and clean plus the town was a neat town to walk around and shop. Good luck and have a great trip .
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at the Wyndom "Ocean Walk" 3 times. It is in Daytona, it is breath taking views. The price is sooooooooo fantastic. Every time I paid 99$ for a 1 bedroom, ocean view. Though it is not the same as the 1 bedroom at the BC, it is wonderful. I think we could have gotten a 2 bedroom for 20-30$ more. They have a lazy river, (a somewhat lame, but free mini golf), they have a kids room for crafts, toys ect, and both times a blow up slide ( you pay for).

I cannot say anything about the 3 you listed, but this one is less than 1 hour drive from DW, and I would certainly stay there again.

sweetdana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
emmababy
DIS Veteran

If we were flying, we would love Daytona. But since we are driving, we would Like to get further north so we can stay an extra day.
SSR- August 2011

DVC HHI- June 2012
Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
tigergrad
Mouseketeer

I assume you will be staying in a hotel? If you had enough points to stay at the DVC at Hilton Head I highly recommend it. As far as hotels you would have more choices at St. Augustine. Haven't been in many years but it was a nice beach. Have never stayed at Tybee but drove through a couple of years ago when we spent the weekend at Savannah. Not many hotels though. Hilton Head can be expensive but it is very relaxed and easy to get around.
tigergrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
emmababy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergrad View Post
I assume you will be staying in a hotel? If you had enough points to stay at the DVC at Hilton Head I highly recommend it. As far as hotels you would have more choices at St. Augustine. Haven't been in many years but it was a nice beach. Have never stayed at Tybee but drove through a couple of years ago when we spent the weekend at Savannah. Not many hotels though. Hilton Head can be expensive but it is very relaxed and easy to get around.
HHI DVC is full, we looked. We stayed there and loved it, but thought we would like to be closer to Savannah. We would only be there for 3 days, found some Condos. We were afraid the kids would get bored of only doing just the beach...If we do HHI, we will stay at Holiday Inn on Coligny...
SSR- August 2011

DVC HHI- June 2012
Old 01-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmababy View Post
HHI DVC is full, we looked. We stayed there and loved it, but thought we would like to be closer to Savannah. We would only be there for 3 days, found some Condos. We were afraid the kids would get bored of only doing just the beach...If we do HHI, we will stay at Holiday Inn on Coligny...
Bluegreen has a timeshare in Savannah actually in the historic district, maybe you could find an owner who was interested in DVC points and do a private trade. Personally I'd rent at HH or one of the other SC options with a beach orientation like MB. We love Charleston but not much beach close by though there are beaches a little further out. Other options would be St. Simons, Jekyll or Ameilia island. I also think they all 3 would be less off your course than HH would be. St. Augustine doesn't add much over Daytona and doesn't get you very far up the road.

Another option would be to go to a non beach option like Gatlinburg or NC mountains if you want to break up the trip but not go too far out of the way.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
emmababy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Bluegreen has a timeshare in Savannah actually in the historic district, maybe you could find an owner who was interested in DVC points and do a private trade. Personally I'd rent at HH or one of the other SC options with a beach orientation like MB. We love Charleston but not much beach close by though there are beaches a little further out. Other options would be St. Simons, Jekyll or Ameilia island. I also think they all 3 would be less off your course than HH would be. St. Augustine doesn't add much over Daytona and doesn't get you very far up the road.

Another option would be to go to a non beach option like Gatlinburg or NC mountains if you want to break up the trip but not go too far out of the way.
Are you saying not to do Tybee island? I agree st Augustine doesn't get us far up. I thought Tybee as we loved Savannah but concerned there isn't enough to do....
SSR- August 2011

DVC HHI- June 2012
Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmababy View Post
Are you saying not to do Tybee island? I agree st Augustine doesn't get us far up. I thought Tybee as we loved Savannah but concerned there isn't enough to do....
Tybee would not be my choice in your situation. For us it's too far to go back and forth to Savannah as a routine and you only have 3 days. For us, in your situation, we'd pick either beach or Savannah (or the Smokies) but not try to combine them all. You're talking what, 30 min one way to drive back to savannah historic district, I think it's about 18-20 miles IIRC. Of the 4 places (St. Simon's, Jekyll, Amelia and Tybee) I think it's the furtherest out of the way.

IMO there is plenty to do for Savannah to take up the 3 days if you like that sort of thing (we do). Here's another option though if you're set on both. You might stop somewhere at the beach for 1 night getting in early enough to hit the beach that day and leaving late enough to do so again the next morning. Then spend 2 nights in Savannah (or do 2/1 the other way). That opens up places like Daytona. Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: