Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #16
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

I have a friend who is prepping. For what I don't know. She showed me her basement and I almost fell over. She has tons and tons of canned and dried food, soda, water, toiletries, medicine etc.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #17
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemae View Post
I have a friend who is prepping. For what I don't know. She showed me her basement and I almost fell over. She has tons and tons of canned and dried food, soda, water, toiletries, medicine etc.
I recently saw an episode of Hoarders and the guy had cans that were actually dried out inside they were so old- The son took a can and shook it and you heard only the hard stuff no liquid.

I don't think I know any Doomsday Preppers? But wouldn't that defeat the purpose of being one? Telling everyone hey I'm all stocked up but don't come over in the event of the end of the world.
java is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #18
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaucoup
Just wondered if you knew any normal people that you were a little surprised that may be preparing for something / anything no matter the size.
I know a few that I'm aware of, probably a few others that keep it quiet. There's a lot of overlap between the "green", intensive gardening, energy efficiency, backyard chickens, etc. community and the prepper 'movement' and I've met some interesting folks while trying to learn more about one household project or another. Some make you think, others just make you wonder.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #19
ellone
DIS Veteran

I guess my husband is. We're going to build a house and he is going to have it built so it can be completely off the grid. So well insulated that it barely loses/gains any heat, geothermal for the heating/cooling we do need, and solar panels going to batteries in the house (not the grid) for electricity.

Now his new thing is having an aquaponics system in the house so that we can grow our own food year round.

So not hoarding in the sense you thin of most doomsday preppers, just setting it up so that we can survive without help from anyone.
ellone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

I would like to be "off the grid" just to save money and help the environment, not because of the "end of the world".

I think it would be great to have solar panels to power some or all of my house.

If doomsday happens then I guess I will have to work my way into a prepper society with my horticultural skills.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #21
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellone View Post
I guess my husband is. We're going to build a house and he is going to have it built so it can be completely off the grid. So well insulated that it barely loses/gains any heat, geothermal for the heating/cooling we do need, and solar panels going to batteries in the house (not the grid) for electricity.

Now his new thing is having an aquaponics system in the house so that we can grow our own food year round.

So not hoarding in the sense you thin of most doomsday preppers, just setting it up so that we can survive without help from anyone.
We know someone who did that for his house he built. He was not a prepper and this was yrs ago he built it, but his floors were a constant temp all year long.

Good luck with your build.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

No, don't know an preppers. To be honest I haven't given it much thought, as far as the end of the world coming.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #23
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

I used to have our tornado safe room prepped to stay in for a couple of days if needed. Of course, that was before we started having about 6 other people coming over during bad weather too. And, once the plastic jugs broke down and dumped a gallon of water all over the place, I decided not to worry about it any more. I do usually have plenty of food & stuff, but that's just because I hate going shopping any more than absolutely necessary.

ETA: I forgot to answer the original question! I do have a friend that is a prepper. She'll say that she's not, but she is. :-)

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #24
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

Most preppers are hidden in plain sight as people who are "self-sufficient", "homesteaders", "back to earth" type people. The rural parts of our country, especially, are full of them.

For some it's just a hobby, for others a way of life/calling.

And it's not always the *extreme* cases you see on those silly tv shows. Many people who seem the poorest also have nice small stockpiles "just in case".

Live and let live, I guess....

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #25
Christopher Robin
DIS Veteran

Christopher Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #26
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

i don't know any preppers, at least, not that i'm aware of. i don't even know how to can veggies/fruits and only own 2 guns, so, when the apocalypse occurs, i hope i die quickly.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #27
BunsenH
Bringing Order to Chaos

I'm a Prepper, he's a Prepper,
She's a Prepper, we're a Prepper,
Wouldn't you like to be a Prepper, too?
Be a Prepper. Drink Dr Prepper.

The official drink of Doomsday.

(For me, if someone is going to drop the big one, I want it to fall right on my head. No post-Apocalyptic drama for me.)

You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?...
BunsenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #28
shelwoj
Mouseketeer

Just so you all know, when a prepper talks about "zombies" it's not the flesh eating zonked out beings you think of. They're talking about the person who isn't prepared that is going to come and mooch/steal what they have prepped.

We're not doomsday preppers, we just make sure to have backup heat, water and basic pantry items for power outages. Winter is the most likely time we'll be cut off from everything, so we prepare.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

I don't think I know any, at least they don't talk about it. What I always wonder is if those people are disappointed when the stuff they prepare for doesn't happen?? Are there going to be a lot of disappointed people on Dec 22
Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #30
bored
Mouseketeer

I am a small scale prepper I guess. We have a garden and a stash of food/water/supplies just in case it's needed. Also built a safe room in the basement. I also have a small arsenal of weapons so in the event a disaster happens you'll not get my families stash without a fight!
bored is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: