Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
MommyLove
The sleep-deprivation is causing low mental bandwidth
Did someone say TURKEY LEG? yum!

Unhappy your opinion *please*; what would YOU do? We have to activate these AP's by the 31st!

We bought Premium Annual Passes (vouchers) in May. We've been planning our "Year of Disney" for a long time. I have hotel reservations all the way through Mother's Day weekend in May 2013. In October, DH lost his job. He still doesn't have another one. We have no money. And whenever he does get one, there will still be a lag as far as when we start getting money and also time needed to recover from months of no income. And it's CHRISTMAS and we have no money for gifts! But it's hard to let the dream die. Do we go down there on the 31st (that's the deadline) just to activate the vouchers and get our AP's (what DH wants to do) and hope that he'll get a job soon and we can still enjoy Disneyland in 2013?

Or do I try to liquidate the vouchers. We have five and since it was before the prince increase, we paid $2500. Now they're worth $3245! We could really use the money. And since they're vouchers (there are no names on these), there is no issue with the "non-transferable" stipulation on tickets or already activated AP's. (I spoke with someone in AP services this morning and while he didn't really want to admit it, anyone could use these vouchers). If you were going to attempt to liquidate vouchers, how would you do it? eBay? Craigslist? Some other method?

Ugh, this is so hard. Give me your opinion!
April '13 (BWPPI), May '13 (BWPPI), July '13 (Stanford I&S), Oct. '13 (BWPPI), Dec. 29, 2013 - Jan. 4, 2014 (BWPPI), April '14 (HoJo Kids Suite)
Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

The vouchers are for using or gifting, not for re-sale.

I wouldn't take the chance of spending money I didn't have no matter how much I wanted to go to Disney.

Since the vouchers are already paid for, I would hold on to them until your DH gets a job and your financial situation improves. The vouchers can be used past the expiration date toward the current price of APs at whatever time you redeem the vouchers; you will just have to pay any price difference. As you've pointed out, that price difference is pretty big, and, yes, you will ultimately pay more for your APs, but you will be doing so when you are more financially secure and have a greater chance of getting multiple trips out of them.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
8timesblessed
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry your going through this but I think I would try and sell them. It's easy money that you can live on until he gets a job. It won't be a fun trip if your always wondering where the money will be coming from and if you end up not being able to use them because you can't afford food or the hotel then what good is that to you?
1st trip VGC May 2010, WDW with 2boys 3/11, WDW all of us 10/11, DH and I DL 12/11, surprise trip for our youngest coming up 2/29-3/3! 6th birthday on Route 66 June 20-23. DL 12/1-10/12. DL 10/29-11/7. First Cruise May 2014 and WDW for Star wars weekend.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
TotalDreamer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLove
We bought Premium Annual Passes (vouchers) in May. We've been planning our "Year of Disney" for a long time. I have hotel reservations all the way through Mother's Day weekend in May 2013. In October, DH lost his job. He still doesn't have another one. We have no money. And whenever he does get one, there will still be a lag as far as when we start getting money and also time needed to recover from months of no income. And it's CHRISTMAS and we have no money for gifts! But it's hard to let the dream die. Do we go down there on the 31st (that's the deadline) just to activate the vouchers and get our AP's (what DH wants to do) and hope that he'll get a job soon and we can still enjoy Disneyland in 2013?

Or do I try to liquidate the vouchers. We have five and since it was before the prince increase, we paid $2500. Now they're worth $3245! We could really use the money. And since they're vouchers (there are no names on these), there is no issue with the "non-transferable" stipulation on tickets or already activated AP's. (I spoke with someone in AP services this morning and while he didn't really want to admit it, anyone could use these vouchers). If you were going to attempt to liquidate vouchers, howdy would you do it? eBay? Craigslist? Some other method?

Ugh, this is so hard. Give me your opinion!
First, I'm sorry you're going through this

Are the vouchers non-refundable?

The only advice I can give is that if you do sell them maybe offer them for $3000, that way you're still making $500, but also giving a slight discount. Otherwise I'm not sure why someone would buy from a 3rd party.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

I would sell them. I hope you DH gets a job soon.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Personally, I would try to sell them. Good luck!

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Due to your hardship, and the fact that they haven't been activated yet, could Disney make an exception and refund your $? I would inquire about that first (you may have since you describe speaking with a CM).

Our vouchers had our names on them, so I do not know how that will work if you decide to sell them.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
MommyLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8timesblessed View Post
I'm sorry your going through this
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8timesblessed View Post
I think I would try and sell them. It's easy money that you can live on until he gets a job. It won't be a fun trip if your always wondering where the money will be coming from and if you end up not being able to use them because you can't afford food or the hotel then what good is that to you?
This is kind of how I'm thinking too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimedisneylurker View Post
The vouchers are for using or gifting, not for re-sale.
REALLY?! We're this hard on our luck right now, and you're going to preach at me? This is not helpful and not opinions I was asking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimedisneylurker View Post
Since the vouchers are already paid for, I would hold on to them until your DH gets a job and your financial situation improves. The vouchers can be used past the expiration date toward the current price of APs at whatever time you redeem the vouchers; you will just have to pay any price difference. As you've pointed out, that price difference is pretty big, and, yes, you will ultimately pay more for your APs, but you will be doing so when you are more financially secure and have a greater chance of getting multiple trips out of them.
This, however, is helpful and an option I wasn't considering. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDreamer View Post
First, I'm sorry you're going through this
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDreamer View Post
Are the vouchers non-refundable?

The only advice I can give is that if you do sell them maybe offer them for $3000, that way you're still making $500, but also giving a slight discount. Otherwise I'm not sure why someone would buy from a 3rd party.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you!
No, they are not refundable. I was thinking of maybe doing eBay and starting the bidding at $2500 so we'd at least get our money back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
Personally, I would try to sell them. Good luck!
Thank you!

Please keep the opinions coming! What would YOU do?
April '13 (BWPPI), May '13 (BWPPI), July '13 (Stanford I&S), Oct. '13 (BWPPI), Dec. 29, 2013 - Jan. 4, 2014 (BWPPI), April '14 (HoJo Kids Suite)
Old 12-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
MommyLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girimama33 View Post
Due to your hardship, and the fact that they haven't been activated yet, could Disney make an exception and refund your $? I would inquire about that first (you may have since you describe speaking with a CM).

Our vouchers had our names on them, so I do not know how that will work if you decide to sell them.
Nope, couldn't get a refund. And none of the vouchers have any names on them.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Before trying eBay, I personally would put a post on FB. Whenever I've had something to sell, someone I know wants it or knows someone who does. Then you don't have to pay eBay and PayPal fees or worry about getting a buyer who tries to scam you. I sold an iPod the other day in under 2 minutes. The PAPs are a bigger ticket item, but you never know. Someone could be in the market.

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
MommyLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
Before trying eBay, I personally would put a post on FB. Whenever I've had something to sell, someone I know wants it or knows someone who does. Then you don't have to pay eBay and PayPal fees or worry about getting a buyer who tries to scam you. I sold an iPod the other day in under 2 minutes. The PAPs are a bigger ticket item, but you never know. Someone could be in the market.
Wow, totally never considered FB! Thank you for that idea!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
LisaT91403
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you are going through this -- I'm sure it must be very difficult, especially around the holidays.

Personally, I would sell them. As you said yourself, it will take you a while to recover financially once DH has a new job. By then, a lot of your "year of magic" will be over without your getting to enjoy it. Because of the price increase, you are in a good position to perhaps recuperate the money you invested. You wouldn't lose anything, and the buyer would get a good deal. And then maybe you'd have money to pay some bills and maybe even get a few small holiday gifts. Disneyland isn't going anywhere, and when you are financially ready for your Year of Magic, the parks will be waiting for you with open arms.

As for how to go about it, that's tricky because people may be worried about giving you thousands of dollars without knowing if the vouchers are real and valid. If you have a positive track record on eBay, that might be the best way to go because a) buyers may trust you because of your positive feedback, b) they are covered by the eBay Buyer Protection policy. The only downside of this is that you'd have to pay the eBay and PayPal fees, so you should factor this in when setting your price.

Good luck, and I hope DH finds a job soon.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
MEK
DIS Veteran

I am so very sorry about the loss of your DH's job. Not only is that difficult financially, it is also difficult emotionally.

I agree with trying to sell them on FB first, however if they technically have to be activated by the 31st, you don't have a lot of time left.

If you are unable to sell them in a short period of time do use them towards the purchase of a new AP when you are financially more secure. Verify that you can do this.

Good luck!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 12-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I'd try to sell them and if I can't, hold on to them to apply towards future APs. Just confirm w/DL that the value you originally paid for them is good until __________________.

Good luck to you guys!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I'd try to sell them and if I can't, hold on to them to apply towards future APs. Just confirm w/DL that the value you originally paid for them is good until __________________.

Good luck to you guys!
The value the OP paid for them will never expire and can always be used to purchase a new AP by paying the difference.

Best of luck to you and your family OP....Hopefully things will get turned around and your year of Disney becomes a reality.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: