Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

Need a kind soul to give me some much needed info... WDW site seems to be down.

I realize this should be on some form of the DVC threads, but I am in a bit of a rush and will hopefully get a quick answer here....

We just spent last night in a hotel and I had a big dose of reality hit me. We CANNOT survive in a standard room for 9 nights in Disney, which is what we are currently booked for. I am bummed because we have a standard/pool view room booked for AKL which is supposed to be big splurge for us and we have been so excited about it. But for 9 nights, I just don't think we can do it without killing eachother. My kids are very tall and my husband is a big guy AND a snorer. In years past, we have either rented points or stayed offsite in a one or two bedroom villa.

Can someone ballpark what it might cost for us to either rent DVC and buy the regular dining plan for a 1 bedroom at AKL (or any deluxe I suppose) or to actually book through WDW with my free dining pin.

I am having trouble with the website...so I'm hoping someone will have a general idea off the top of their head.

We are there from 1/31 to Feb 9th, and my kids are 10 & 12.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

And I am wondering if I could get a suite at AofA instead and not feel like we are "downgrading" from AKL. Since we've never been there...I guess we won't know what we'll be missing.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog View Post
I realize this should be on some form of the DVC threads, but I am in a bit of a rush and will hopefully get a quick answer here....

We just spent last night in a hotel and I had a big dose of reality hit me. We CANNOT survive in a standard room for 9 nights in Disney, which is what we are currently booked for. I am bummed because we have a standard/pool view room booked for AKL which is supposed to be big splurge for us and we have been so excited about it. But for 9 nights, I just don't think we can do it without killing eachother. My kids are very tall and my husband is a big guy AND a snorer. In years past, we have either rented points or stayed offsite in a one or two bedroom villa.

Can someone ballpark what it might cost for us to either rent DVC and buy the regular dining plan for a 1 bedroom at AKL (or any deluxe I suppose) or to actually book through WDW with my free dining pin.

I am having trouble with the website...so I'm hoping someone will have a general idea off the top of their head.

We are there from 1/31 to Feb 9th, and my kids are 10 & 12.
Quote:
And I am wondering if I could get a suite at AofA instead and not feel like we are "downgrading" from AKL. Since we've never been there...I guess we won't know what we'll be missing.
Just looked up availability and there is some for those dates. It would take 307 points, so multiply that by the rental rate ($13 if you go through an agency). The DDP is $55.59 per person for each night, which is $1778.88 for your trip.

If you're going to rent points, I would do so fast. The closer you get, the less likely there will be availability.

And yes, there are big differences between AKV and AoA.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

I can't help you with specifics - but I can offer a few thoughts...

1. I am pretty sure your choices will be slim to none at renting points of AKL on such short notice.
2. We have stayed at AKL twice and visited AOA on it's opening day. You just cannot compare the 2. COMPLETELY different atmospheres and vacations.
3. If space and quiet is something that you need - perhaps the Cabins at FW might be an option for you. I hav never stayed there (just not my thing) - but I know many who love it.

Good luck!

eta - I stand corrected! Good news on availablitly!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Just looked up availability and there is some for those dates. It would take 307 points, so multiply that by the rental rate ($13 if you go through an agency). The DDP is $55.59 per person for each night, which is $1778.88 for your trip.

If you're going to rent points, I would do so fast. The closer you get, the less likely there will be availability.

And yes, there are big differences between AKV and AoA.
So...that's for renting points. Do you happen to know what it would cost to book a 1 bedroom directly through Disney? Or am I asking a stupid question? If I can do that and use my free dining Pin, I may save money over renting and buying DDP. Though chances are - we can't afford either. This trip has costed enough already! Sheesh!! Thanks, by the way. I still can't get the site to work. GRRR
Old 12-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

never mind - read it wrong.

The only way to know what the cost is for a Villa (and to even see if it has availability with your PIN) is to call Disney.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

I was able to get a quote...Assuming you CAN use your Free Dining PIN (which would require you to pack rack rate)...
A one bedroom Villa with a Standard View for your dates is $5,255.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

So I guess waiting until the last minute to rent points...does NOT give me a chance for getting them cheaper, huh?! I know some of you are probably having a good laugh at that thought, right?

Oh well....I guess I was being naive and hopeful. But more naive than hopeful.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
digiMom
DIS Veteran

Through the Disney website I'm getting $519 a night for a 1 br standard view for those dates. A savannah view would be $594. Those are pre tax. I don't know if you could get free dining.

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Jan 2012 POP | Oct 2010 POP | Jan 2006 ASSp | Sept 1992 Off Site (Honeymoon) | Poly and CR in the 70s as a kid
"We keep moving forward, opening new doors... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walter Elias Disney
digiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

If you are going to do a 1 bedroom, get it at AKV Kidani, not Jambo. It is larger and has 2 bathrooms. You'll have a king bed in the master, a queen sofabed and twin sleeper chair in the living room.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So I guess waiting until the last minute to rent points...does NOT give me a chance for getting them cheaper, huh?! I know some of you are probably having a good laugh at that thought, right?

Oh well....I guess I was being naive and hopeful. But more naive than hopeful.
Not laughing at you at all!
In some instances you can get a good deal for last minute rentals - but unfortunately AKL is typically not one of the places. Like Bay Lake Towers and the Beach Club Villas, they book quickly.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate they help. Still can't get the website to work for me...not sure why.

So, basically it will cost us about $1200 more to go from a standard set up room to a 1 bedroom (which sounds like HEAVEN by the way). I just asked my husband his thoughts on that & he was like ummm, are you nuts?! LOL. Nope we defintely cannot afford to spend that much more than we already are. Poop!! I am honestly afraid for our sanity for this upcoming trip. LOL
Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Well let me offer this advice...

We stayed in a Pool View room this past May/June.
We are a family of 4 - Myself, 2 kiddos 9 & 10 and a husband who snores like Pumba.
We stayed for 8 nights and absolutely LOVED it.
There is so much to see and do at the resort - we spent a ton of time at the pool - lots of poolside things going on for the kids - My husband and I actually spent quite a few hours RELAXING by the pool while they were entertained. The pool is a fabulous oasis - plenty of room to swim and they enjoyed the pool slide.There are also a lot of activities around the resort for them to do as well.
The grounds are amazing - we spent several hours over the course of our stay watching the animals from the different viewing locations. They also have night time animal viewing by the pool and a nightly outdoor movie.

We found the room to have plenty of space for us - Now granted we didn't spend a ton of time IN the room - but when we were there - we were very comfy. OUr last trip we stayed 9 nights at POP - now THAT is a small room..by the end of our stay we were DONE with each other. We didn't feel that way at all at AKL - We were all very very sad to leave.

As far as the snoring - after walking around the Parks all day - I hit the bed and I didn't hear a thing - but I did pack some ear plugs (sold at Target) just in case.

I think you and your family will have a fabulous time.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
Well let me offer this advice...

We stayed in a Pool View room this past May/June.
We are a family of 4 - Myself, 2 kiddos 9 & 10 and a husband who snores like Pumba.
We stayed for 8 nights and absolutely LOVED it.
There is so much to see and do at the resort - we spent a ton of time at the pool - lots of poolside things going on for the kids - My husband and I actually spent quite a few hours RELAXING by the pool while they were entertained. The pool is a fabulous oasis - plenty of room to swim and they enjoyed the pool slide.There are also a lot of activities around the resort for them to do as well.
The grounds are amazing - we spent several hours over the course of our stay watching the animals from the different viewing locations. They also have night time animal viewing by the pool and a nightly outdoor movie.

We found the room to have plenty of space for us - Now granted we didn't spend a ton of time IN the room - but when we were there - we were very comfy. OUr last trip we stayed 9 nights at POP - now THAT is a small room..by the end of our stay we were DONE with each other. We didn't feel that way at all at AKL - We were all very very sad to leave.

As far as the snoring - after walking around the Parks all day - I hit the bed and I didn't hear a thing - but I did pack some ear plugs (sold at Target) just in case.

I think you and your family will have a fabulous time.

YOU. JUST. MADE. MY. NIGHT. Seriously....I think I needed to be calmed down and it worked. Thank you!!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
YOU. JUST. MADE. MY. NIGHT. Seriously....I think I needed to be calmed down and it worked. Thank you!!
You are very welcome! I hope to hear how fabulous your stay was when you return!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: