Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
TXinmyheart
Mouseketeer

It's official Disney cutting Galveston short

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/ne...9bb30f31a.html

They will be offering KSFs all over the place with four ships out of Florida.
TXinmyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
mom2val
Can't wait to go back

Praying they dont cancel my Nov 23, 2013 cruise!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

OH NO!!! I am so bummed! I guess that this cruise we are taking in Jan 2013 will be the last for a very long time.

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
LizJ
Earning My Ears

Bummer, we are trying out a cruise from Galveston in January with the hopes to continue Disney cruising for many years to come as traveling to Texas is easier than Florida. Oh well, at least we great one cruise.
LizJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

they are talking for 2014....

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
Raspberry Beret
Mouseketeer

I'm not surprised. The large number of discounts and multiple itinerary changes was a big clue that the Galveston sales were poor. I guess that mention of Galveston on the 2014 Itinerary announcement page was a typo.

Quote:
New Itineraries and Ports for 2014
Get ready to explore dazzling destinations in 2014! Disney Cruise Line is offering cruises departing from such popular home ports as Miami, Florida, Port Canaveral, Florida and Galveston, Texas and sailing to spectacular ports of call in the Bahamas and Caribbean.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...ntAnnounce0006
Old 12-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
mstee777
Mouseketeer

Plenty of other lines sail out of Galveston and do quite well. Disney is only sailing out of Galveston during the school year and charging way more than other lines. Besides, the short cruises only hit boring ports that can be done for less than half the price on another line. meanwhile the long cruises are not doable while kids are in school. I think they are missing a huge market by not sailing from Texas in the summer.
mstee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstee777
Plenty of other lines sail out of Galveston and do quite well. Disney is only sailing out of Galveston during the school year and charging way more than other lines. Besides, the short cruises only hit boring ports that can be done for less than half the price on another line. meanwhile the long cruises are not doable while kids are in school. I think they are missing a huge market by not sailing from Texas in the summer.
I agree I think this is the same with Puerto Rico those sailing have been undersold so far because they are on the off weeks this is the slow season so to measure this time as an indicator of how well something will do is bad business sense.

I agree they would be able to sell really well in the summer
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Can't get the link to open.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran

Article copied from the webpage

Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:00 am | Updated: 12:16 am, Tue Dec 11, 2012.
By WHITNEY HODGIN
GALVESTON — Mickey Mouse will not set sail from Galveston as often as originally planned.
The Disney Cruise Line, which started sailing out of the Port of Galveston in September, will not be returning to the port in 2014, the port’s director and a Disney spokesperson confirmed.
Disney signed a two-year operating agreement with Galveston from September 2012 until September 2014, which means Disney was scheduled to sail either the Magic or the Wonder from the Port of Galveston until May 2014, Port Director Mike Mierzwa said.
Rebecca Peddie, Disney Cruise Line’s manager of public affairs, said the cruise line’s contract with the port was until the end of 2013.
The company announced Dec. 4 the Disney Magic would be sailing out of Port Canaveral, Fla., beginning in 2014.
Mierzwa said he got the call from Disney in November.
“They hadn’t formally scheduled cruises out of Galveston for 2014, but we had a tentative schedule for 19 cruises during the first four and a half months of 2014,” Mierzwa said.
“There’s going to be loss of revenue to the port,” he said. “This was going to be a component of our 2014 budget. We will have to find other ways to make up for that.”
Losing approximately 20 cruises equals $1.234 million in operating revenue and about 8,000 hours for labor, Mierzwa said.
“We will have to find new ways to find work hours for the guys on the port,” he said. “We’re supposed to be creating jobs.”
Peddie said the cruise line had a good experience in Galveston but made the decision to try a different port based on guest demand for more options out of Port Canaveral.
“We’re very disappointed that they’re going to be leaving in January 2014,” Mierzwa said. “On the other hand, we’re pleased Disney chose to bring their product to the Gulf Coast.”
Had Disney called him sooner, Mierzwa said he might have been able to prevent the Princess Cruise Line from announcing it would move its Caribbean Princess from the Port of Galveston to the Port of Houston for the 2014-15 operational year, citing lack of space in Galveston.
That agreement with the Port of Houston was for one year, Mierzwa said.
“Certainly I would like to have them come back to Galveston after that,” he said. “I already reached out to them and said I’d give them the first option.”
Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Apple
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:00 am | Updated: 12:16 am, Tue Dec 11, 2012.
By WHITNEY HODGIN
GALVESTON — Mickey Mouse will not set sail from Galveston as often as originally planned.
The Disney Cruise Line, which started sailing out of the Port of Galveston in September, will not be returning to the port in 2014, the port’s director and a Disney spokesperson confirmed.
Disney signed a two-year operating agreement with Galveston from September 2012 until September 2014, which means Disney was scheduled to sail either the Magic or the Wonder from the Port of Galveston until May 2014, Port Director Mike Mierzwa said.
Rebecca Peddie, Disney Cruise Line’s manager of public affairs, said the cruise line’s contract with the port was until the end of 2013.
The company announced Dec. 4 the Disney Magic would be sailing out of Port Canaveral, Fla., beginning in 2014.
Mierzwa said he got the call from Disney in November.
“They hadn’t formally scheduled cruises out of Galveston for 2014, but we had a tentative schedule for 19 cruises during the first four and a half months of 2014,” Mierzwa said.
“There’s going to be loss of revenue to the port,” he said. “This was going to be a component of our 2014 budget. We will have to find other ways to make up for that.”
Losing approximately 20 cruises equals $1.234 million in operating revenue and about 8,000 hours for labor, Mierzwa said.
“We will have to find new ways to find work hours for the guys on the port,” he said. “We’re supposed to be creating jobs.”
Peddie said the cruise line had a good experience in Galveston but made the decision to try a different port based on guest demand for more options out of Port Canaveral.
“We’re very disappointed that they’re going to be leaving in January 2014,” Mierzwa said. “On the other hand, we’re pleased Disney chose to bring their product to the Gulf Coast.”
Had Disney called him sooner, Mierzwa said he might have been able to prevent the Princess Cruise Line from announcing it would move its Caribbean Princess from the Port of Galveston to the Port of Houston for the 2014-15 operational year, citing lack of space in Galveston.
That agreement with the Port of Houston was for one year, Mierzwa said.
“Certainly I would like to have them come back to Galveston after that,” he said. “I already reached out to them and said I’d give them the first option.”
Sounds like an abrupt decision.

Interesting about the demand for more port time in Port Canaveral. I guess they see having all 4 ships sailing from PC as more lucrative. Could be because of WDW I guess?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberry Beret View Post
I'm not surprised. The large number of discounts and multiple itinerary changes was a big clue that the Galveston sales were poor. I guess that mention of Galveston on the 2014 Itinerary announcement page was a typo.
I think technically they do sail 1 time in 2014 out of Galveston....looks like there is a Jan 4, 2014 cruise (4-day) before the ship moves to Florida.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
rosermama
DIS Veteran

I find it funny that they mentioned people want more options out of PC. While that's true we aren't getting it we are getting the same old same old we want more options out of PC meaning we want the ships to go to new ports of call!!!
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
ludari
DIS Veteran

Too bad but it will be interesting to see what DCL decides to do with the remaining 2014 itinerary.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #15
E ticket rider
Ferb's Best Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Sounds like an abrupt decision.

Interesting about the demand for more port time in Port Canaveral. I guess they see having all 4 ships sailing from PC as more lucrative. Could be because of WDW I guess?
Only three ships will be home ported in PC for (at least) the first half of 2014. Disney Wonder will home port out of Miami during that time.

"The only thing predictable about life is its unpredictability" - Remy
E ticket rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: