Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #16
PoohBearFriends
DIS Veteran

We have learned...

That the Disboards have great helpful people and wonderful up to date information that makes the parks so much easier to navigate and shows us all the little things around the parks.

ME 43: DF 43: DD 14. DD 12 DGP.DGMA
DLR 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010; 2011 & 2013 DLH
WDW 1974, 1980, 1985 (Mom won a trip), 1995, 1999: 2009 and 2014 POR
PoohBearFriends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
ColoradoLime
Pure Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by packedforadventure View Post
Arrive at park opening and grab a fast pass for Radiator Springs Racers, then do everything else, while the park is still slow and everyone else is clogging up Cars Land!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
We learned we can walk up to IASW 15 min before the fireworks start and enjoy the show there without hours of waiting.
Love these tips!

WDW: 2009 (Caribbean Beach Resort)
Disneyland CA: 2013 (HoJo Anaheim)

Join the best darn May/June 2013 DLR Trip Planning Thread! Click HERE

ColoradoLime is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
Eclectic Goddess
My Ears are a Pair of Devil Horns

If you have more than one or two days in the park, take it easy. Don't try to cram everything in on the first day. Take a break. Take a nap. You'll feel better on your second, third, etc days if you pace yourself.

One of our favorite ways to do this is to get up early and be at rope drop, get a few hours in the parks, then go have a late breakfast someplace quiet, like Steakhouse 55. Head back into the park for a few more hours (using whatever FPs we gathered up earlier), then take a break back at the hotel. Have a nice dinner, then head back into the park until closing, or until you just get tired.

Other tidbits:

Space Mountain, Indy, Pirates and HM may draw big crowds, but they load way faster than most of the Fantasyland rides. If you're there at rope drop, go to Peter Pan and the rest of Fantasyland first, then swing around and hit the bigger rides afterward. Most will still have short lines, and quick return times if you decide to get a FP.

Bring at least two totally different pairs of shoes, and alternate them.

Even if you're doing DL on the cheap, budget to splurge on at least one meal, one special keepsake, or something.

Disneyland Trips
Fall 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 ~ Gay Days Anaheim
Winter 2013 ~ Off Season Magic
*Fall 2014 ~ DF's Birthday Extravaganza!*
*January 2015 ~ Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend*
*Spring 2015 ~ Star Wars Celebration*

Orlando Trips
Fall 2010 ~ Harry Potter Emersion Therapy / Visit to the ‘World
Spring 2012 ~ Taking the HLP on Holiday!
Spring 2014 ~ Princess Half Marathon Weekend / Wizarding World
Eclectic Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbright View Post
Coffee refills are Free if you buy a cup in the park
Not always, It depends on the location, and you must show your receipt from the same day purchase.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
shellncesar
My Other Home is Disneyland

During the summer days and during parades, a quick shortcut down Mainstreet is through the shops because they are mostly connected.

Unless going to an attraction there, do not walk through Adventureland to access New Orleans or Critter Corner. Instead, walk through Frontierland.

If you want a quiet place to relax with minimal crowds, try underneath the Hungry Bear or outside the fort in Frontierland.

Since there are so many tasty options and not enough tummy room, split treats and meals with someone. It will let you experience more culinary excellence without hurting your tummy or your wallet.

If you are in a big hurry, don't get sucked in by Character meet-n-greets and musicians scattered around. They are meant to distract crowds.

The train gives a nice foot massage, kind of. =)

Go to the 10:30 showing of Fantasmic. It is way less crowded and then you don't have to worry about Firework show crowds afterwards.

The line to get Dole Whips is much shorter often times inside the queue to The Tiki Room. And the Tiki Room is air conditioned and wonderful.

Cherry cokes from Main Street are amazing. Best one I have ever had!

If you don't like the nasty Nescafe coffee from Market House, go to Jolly Holiday and get an espresso over ice or Americano. It is much better tasting and you don't have to go get an extra sugary drink from the other coffee house.

Don't go to Toon Town after 12pm because it gets scorching hot.

Wife to Cesar
Mommy to Mateo

shellncesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #21
Crittsmom
Earning My Ears

the best time to go during the summer is the 3rd week in August, it can be blazing hot but during the week the lines are short.
Crittsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #22
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Always the enjoy the fireworks or WoC the first available night. The Santa Ana/Anaheim winds are fickle and you never know if the shows will get canceled.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #23
BryANDJessMom
Mouseketeer

My favorites...

Bring a Baggie for your phone....I fried my new iPhone on Splash Mountain...

I bring collapsible camping cups that I got from target.l they fit easily in my purse and my kids can split a bottle if lemonade, or whatever without complaining.

Use the lockers. It is worth the $7 or whatever to be able to drop off purchases during the day and the kids coats. I really enjoy only having a small purse instead of a big backpack like I used to bring. The lockers also fit more that they really look.

We get there early...use FPs, to to Aladdin if we need a break, and go to a nice sit down dinner around 5 ish. Carthay is nice and we get seated in the main area that we love hen we have reservations early. We relax and have a bottle if wine with our meal so we are refreshed. (Our kids are 8 and 10 and they are used to restaurants and are happy to sit down for a bit by then.)

Great thread!!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #24
Escape2Disney
Friendly Neighborhood Disney Fanatic!

Longer trips = less stress! We now go 5-6 days every trip, and it's made a world of difference. We always reserve at least one sit-down meal a day to force a break and some face time with eachother. We have groceries delivered to the room. Things like water, yogurt, and string cheese are so much cheaper! By having these snacks, we're less likely to eat junk.

I agree with other posters - do important stuff early in the trip! One thing we always do is get the Fantasmic dessert seating the first or second night. We never eat all of the treats that night, so we bring the leftovers back to the room and grab a little treat after meals instead of buying huge desserts every day. On that same note, we always carry a ziploc or two to bag up leftovers so we don't have to carry bulky boxes of food around.

We also use Frontierland to get to NOS - the crowds are much more manageable.

And finally, RELAX! This is supposed to be fun! :-)
Escape2Disney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #25
jory29
DIS Veteran

Location: Sadly, too, too far away from DL. :( We still try to get there annually though. ;)

It's not about the rides... it's not about the attractions... It's about the Disneyland ambience. Sometimes taking it slow, and easy make for the very best cherished Family memories.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:47 AM   #26
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellncesar

Cherry cokes from Main Street are amazing. Best one I have ever had!
My DS13 would agree!!

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #27
Pinocchio #1 Fan
Disney Premier Passholder, Believer in the power of Hakuna Matata!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellncesar View Post

If you are in a big hurry, don't get sucked in by Character meet-n-greets and musicians scattered around. They are meant to distract crowds.
I couldn't disagree with this any more. The musical acts at Disneyland like the Dapper Dans, the Bootleggers, or the Hillbillies are a huge part of what makes Disneyland 1000X better than other crummy theme parks. Same with the characters. Someone already mentioned in this thread that it isn't all about the rides. If someone goes to Disneyland and tells me they got on Big Thunder 5 times, and Matterhorn 4 times, but never saw a single show or took a pic with Mickey, I feel like they really got less value from thier money, because they could have ridden coasters anywhere.

However, that's only one person's opinion.
Pinocchio #1 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #28
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinocchio #1 Fan View Post
I couldn't disagree with this any more. The musical acts at Disneyland like the Dapper Dans, the Bootleggers, or the Hillbillies are a huge part of what makes Disneyland 1000X better than other crummy theme parks. Same with the characters. Someone already mentioned in this thread that it isn't all about the rides. If someone goes to Disneyland and tells me they got on Big Thunder 5 times, and Matterhorn 4 times, but never saw a single show or took a pic with Mickey, I feel like they really got less value from thier money, because they could have ridden coasters anywhere.

However, that's only one person's opinion.
Meeting the characters was the biggest thrill for DD4. She absolutely loved meeting all the princesses and other guys. And we loved to stop and watch the little shows we came upon, too. You're right - it's a huge part of the Disney "experience".
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #29
shellncesar
My Other Home is Disneyland

I guess it depends on your priorities and likes. When I was a teen/ young adult it was all about getting on the rides as much as we could. Now that I have a kid I am slowing down more to see the sideshow stuff.

Wife to Cesar
Mommy to Mateo

shellncesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #30
lovebug33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
Sharing meals. Lots of sharing. We turned an expensive meal at Blue Bayou affordable by purchasing 1 adult meal, (monto Cristco $25) and 1 kids meal (7.99) and sharing between the five of us. It was plenty of food and we got to enjoy the ambiance of the restaurant.

I also got to use my annual pass discount!
I totally agree with this. If you share a meal, you can also go get ice cream and not feel bad, money or diet wise!
lovebug33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: