Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Swtonscrappn
Mouseketeer

Brag about it Here---What at Disneyland have you "figured out"

For our family, we usually visit the parks starting on a Friday or Sat then end it mid week (or the next Friday). For us, that means seeing all the weekend only stuff, but not feeling frantic about not getting on the "good rides" because of the larger lines, because we plan on being there during the slower Monday or Tuesday. Takes some of the pressure off.

We also keep a bottle of water and a bottle of soda in our bags (a piece). The water, of course, you can refill at the fountains. The soda I paid $5 for a 6 pack of bottles (or less) and it saves us like $10-15 for beverages per meal.

Anybody want to share what works well for your family?
Swtonscrappn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Good thread. I would say to become familiar with any discounts you are due, like 10% Disney Visa/Disney Rewards Redemption Card discounts, or back-of-a-counter-service-receipt 20% discount. Also, PhotoPass+ pre-pay is much more affordable at DLR ($70) than WDW ($150).

I'd be interested to know if multiple places at DLR sell similar products for different prices. Maybe one place sells Soft Drinks for cheaper, or I've heard the Jolly Holiday bakery on Main Street, U.S.A. sells similar stuff to places in DCA.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

Sharing meals. Lots of sharing. We turned an expensive meal at Blue Bayou affordable by purchasing 1 adult meal, (monto Cristco $25) and 1 kids meal (7.99) and sharing between the five of us. It was plenty of food and we got to enjoy the ambiance of the restaurant.

I also got to use my annual pass discount!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
cagirl4life
Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust!!

Always ask if they have some sort of discount, you never know! I was able to get a discount with my AP at a store that my AP didn't allow anymore (20% with deluxe where on premium gets it).

DL: to many times to count, last trip August 2013!
WDW: July 1998 (Off Site); February 2006 (CBR); April 2006 (AS Sports); February 2007 (ASM); February 2008 (ASM); April 2008 (CBR); June 2008 (SSR); January 2010 (AS Sports)
cagirl4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swtonscrappn View Post
... We also keep a bottle of water and a bottle of soda in our bags (a piece). The water, of course, you can refill at the fountains. ...
You can usually just ask for a small cup of ice water (free) at most places that serve cups of soda ... that way you do not need to carry bottles around with you.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
dawnbright
Earning My Ears

Coffee refills are Free if you buy a cup in the park
dawnbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Swtonscrappn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbright View Post
Awwww Man...I wish we knew that last time...My husband is a big coffee drinker
Swtonscrappn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
packedforadventure
Earning My Ears

opening

Arrive at park opening and grab a fast pass for Radiator Springs Racers, then do everything else, while the park is still slow and everyone else is clogging up Cars Land!

Don't miss Trader Sam's Tiki Bar at the Disneyland Hotel, especially if you are a fan of the now defunct Adventurers Club.
packedforadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
Camonkeygirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbright View Post
This is only at the Marketplace on Main Street. You do not have to keep the cup, just your receipt. It is also only good on regular coffee - not fancier ones
Old 12-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #10
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

It's not all about the rides.

So often people discuss checking off rides, getting in all the rides, riding X 10 times during a visit.

Some of the most amazing things at Disneyland are just the little details that can be seen throughout the entire Park while wandering around and soaking it all in. The magic truly is in the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camonkeygirl View Post
This is only at the Marketplace on Main Street. You do not have to keep the cup, just your receipt. It is also only good on regular coffee - not fancier ones
Just in case anyone goes hunting for it during a first visit at Disneyland, it's the Market House.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

We learned we don't need to be the first ones at the gates in the morning. As long as we are there before gate opening, we already have an advantage over most of the crowds.

We learned we prefer to stay walking distance (CCI) which gives us more time in the morning and allows us to go back easily for a nap in the afternoon when parks are open late.

We learned that during the summer we should arrive on a Sunday and leave the next Saturday (when we are blocked out anyway). Any less than that and it felt like not enough time and the traffic is better for leaving on Sat anyway.

We learned that my DH cannot eat two bowls of gumbo at Cafe Orleans and he should stop trying.

We learned we can walk up to IASW 15 min before the fireworks start and enjoy the show there without hours of waiting.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #12
Butterfly123
DIS Veteran

We have learned to do the most important things early in the trip, and not to leave anything special for the last day, as you never know when rides will be closed down, or the wind will cancel the fireworks, etc.

We have learned to go with the flow, and not let little things like ride closures, rude people, rain, etc, ruin our enjoyment of the day. We're in Disneyland!

Disneyland: 1969, 1974, 1982, 1985, 1990, July 2002, April 2004, April 2005, April 2006, April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, June 2011, July 2012, June 2013. Next visit summer 2015!
Butterfly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly123 View Post
We have learned to do the most important things early in the trip, and not to leave anything special for the last day, as you never know when rides will be closed down, or the wind will cancel the fireworks, etc.

We have learned to go with the flow, and not let little things like ride closures, rude people, rain, etc, ruin our enjoyment of the day. We're in Disneyland!
This, to infinity!

It took us at least a year after we got our passes to relax and not try to get on everything, every time. We can come back, it will all be ok, we don't have to kill ourselves to get on every ride.

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
disneydeb64
Got My Ears, Thank You : )

Not about Disneyland directly, but a hotel tip. We've stayed at DLH once and PP 3 times and we've learned to bring a hanging air freshener for the room. Often those with a baby have just stayed in the room prior to us, and the closet or under-sink in the bathroom smells like a diaper pail A hanging air freshener or scent circle works wonders!
disneydeb64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #15
Casemily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydeb64
Not about Disneyland directly, but a hotel tip. We've stayed at DLH once and PP 3 times and we've learned to bring a hanging air freshener for the room. Often those with a baby have just stayed in the room prior to us, and the closet or under-sink in the bathroom smells like a diaper pail A hanging air freshener or scent circle works wonders!
To add for those who travel with the diaper crowd, I bring plastic ziplock baggies for poop diapers and if solid enough I dump and flush the poop too.
Casemily is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: