Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #91
AlohaPolynesian
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog

I've been looking at poodle/poodle mixes for a few months now and i seem to find an abundance of small ones, around 10-20lb range. They look cute and appear to have good personalities, according to their write-ups, but it leaves me wondering: If these dogs are so great, why are they in rescue? I suspect a lot of these little dogs are not housebroken. People put up with it for a while, then they get tired of the stained carpets and "trade up" for a new dog, whom they, of course, will not housebreak either.

Am I right? those of you who work with rescues, aren't most of those little dogs piddlers?

I am not quite in the place to get a new dog but I am really torn about this. I would love to have an adult-to-senior, medium size poodle/poodle mix but I have to be honest. If they're not going to be housetrained, it's gonna be a deal breaker for me. I'm willing to give it a go--I housebroke my other dog when he was a pup and he would have rather exploded than wet or poop in the house. But if by "housebroken" they mean taking the dog out every 90 min during the day and twice at night, um, that's not housebroken, in my book. That's trip training. I'd love to have a rescue dog, but I'm not sure the rescues will let me adopt if I am honest with them about the house training.
Most animals I see in shelters end up there for the following reasons:

Death of owner
Divorce
Moved
Cost of owning a pet

VERY RARELY are dogs given up for bad behavior. Those that are are usually euthanized almost immediately.

I have two rescues. One was 9months when I got her and she was housebroken. The other was not. All dogs, house broke or not, tend to have a few accidents in their new homes as they adjust.

That is just from my experience.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #92
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
Neither is bashing. I was sharing my experience and how I felt about it. Others on this thread have expressed similar feelings. Perhaps instead of dismissing negative feedback as bashing, it was should be taken into consideration to make the adoption process easier and more comfortable for all. If its really about finding loving homes for these dogs, maybe hearing about why they decided to go to a breeder, instead of a rescue, is important.
I agree with this completely. My involvement with our rescue is very low-key. I don't make the rules and I don't get involved in the politics. We do have a few of the over-involved volunteers who have seen people do so much bad stuff to animals that they now essentially hate people. And it shows.

It is good for everyone involved in rescue to step back from time to time and think about how they come across to potential adopters.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #93
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoopaloo View Post
My rescue that I was not sure of is part Border Collie and that is why I was unsure of her. I feared she would be way too hyper so I was nervous about taking her on. She is amazing and I can't imagine my day to day life without her now! She is also super duper smart.
I think I would enjoy a Border Collie myself.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #94
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaPolynesian

Most animals I see in shelters end up there for the following reasons:

Death of owner
Divorce
Moved
Cost of owning a pet

VERY RARELY are dogs given up for bad behavior. Those that are are usually euthanized almost immediately.

I have two rescues. One was 9months when I got her and she was housebroken. The other was not. All dogs, house broke or not, tend to have a few accidents in their new homes as they adjust.

That is just from my experience.
And I would expect some accidents due to the stress of being moved. I just don't want to get sucked into taking a.dog who cannot be house trained. If it became a pattern I would have to.return the dog and I really would hate that. But I know my own limits. I'm a nurse, so body fluids don't bother me much. Epilipsy, blindness, 3 legs, heart problems would not faze me. But excessive shedding and a pattern of weeing or pooping in the house would do me in.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #95
JESW
We have 4 cats, 1 anole lizard, and 10, yes, 10 birds - 2 cockatiels and 8 parakeets, but still no partridge in a pear tree
It just craps me up!

Any luck yet??

I check around different sites on-line even tho we are not actively looking for a dog. I have been real surprised with how quickly it seems that Save A Dog in Sudbury gets dogs in and out. They had an event at Petco in Framingham last Saturday (meet and greet) and by the beginning of this week many of those dogs are listed as Adopted or Adoption Pending!

I like their site because they list the dogs they have now and the dogs they will be getting. Who knew that shelters also got dogs from places like St. Thomas??

Jill

Still thinking about plans for 2015....
JESW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #96
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
I think I would enjoy a Border Collie myself.
They are great. They have OCD and you feel like you are in "The Omen" sometimes when they sit and stare at you and don't move.

My border has every movement memorized. It can be creepy sometimes.

The collie personality is just "people love". They want to please people so bad and are always awaiting the master's commands.

Super smart, we have to challenge her mentally often. Plenty of "find" the ball, wrap up ball and let her dismantle the container, hide and seek, and other stuff.

She is almost 8 now and has fatty tumors & had tick disease so she is physically not 100% anymore. It stinks.

She is sleeping now. I got up too early.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #97
Rence
Anyone who puts fashion above all else can't be all bad

With regards to piddlers etc. I can at least speak to our rescue and a few others that I am familiar with. We don't want an adoption to be a failure, so we are not trying to stick someone with a problem dog.

We consider than an adoption is never final. If it does not work out - contact us and we will try to help or we will take the dog back, you actually sign an agreement that you will not sell or give the dog away, but will return it to the rescue if you decide not to keep the dog.

The dogs go into foster and the foster home tries to identify any issues with the dog. We will be upfront if a dog has house training issues (the breed we work with is known to be tough to potty train). We also let people know if the dog doesn't care for children, is fearful around men etc. etc. So we look for the right home for the dog.

We can tell you if the dog is playful or not. Does the dog like to snuggle with people or prefers to stay in its own bed etc. We talk to the prospective adoptive family about what they are looking for in a dog and try to make sure that it is going to be a good fit. And I think overall we do a good job, we rarely get a dog turned back in because we try to ensure that the right family gets the right dog.
Rence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #98
jodifla

DIS Veteran

I had a not-great experience with a breed rescue. She totally misrepresented the age and circumstance of the job. The dog had horrendous medical issues which were very expensive. But the worst part was the dog was a biter.

We've been looking at dogs from rescue groups, and we don't qualify for a lot of them because we don't have a fenced yard, or we have a child, or aren't home all day, etc.

I definitely see why people go the breeder route.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #99
KBoopaloo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
They are great. They have OCD and you feel like you are in "The Omen" sometimes when they sit and stare at you and don't move.

My border has every movement memorized. It can be creepy sometimes.

The collie personality is just "people love". They want to please people so bad and are always awaiting the master's commands.

Super smart, we have to challenge her mentally often. Plenty of "find" the ball, wrap up ball and let her dismantle the container, hide and seek, and other stuff.

She is almost 8 now and has fatty tumors & had tick disease so she is physically not 100% anymore. It stinks.

She is sleeping now. I got up too early.

Haha, this describes my dog pretty well! She also herds us from room to room. She likes for everyone to be together in once place so if we are spread out in different parts of the house she will go back and forth until she can get us all herded together.

She also has that super stare. One of my younger relatives likes to having staring contests with her. He always loses.
1984 - Contemporary ~ 1991 - Caribbean Beach ~ 1999 - Port Orleans French Quarter ~ 2000 - Vista Way (College Program) ~ 2001 - AllStar Music ~ 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 & 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside ~ 2008 Beach Club ~2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge~ 2009 Saratoga Springs(x2) & Pop Century 2010 Boardwalk Inn, Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas - Jambo House & Coronado Springs~ 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter & Kidani Village(April), Old Key West & Beach Club (October) 2012 AKV - Jambo and Yacht Club (Commodore Suite!) 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter and Boardwalk Inn
KBoopaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #100
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

All of our dogs have been rescues --
-- one from the humane society (mix)
-- one from a breed-specific rescue (believed to be purebred, no papers)
-- one who flunked out of a service-dog training program (mix)
-- one from a non-breed specific rescue (purebred, with papers)

We've had good luck with all but one of our rescued dogs. (Our dog from the breed specific rescue likes to growl. She's never bitten anyone but she makes me nervous. We've been through 3 dog trainers, etc. My 8yo wrote in her letter to Santa that she's *sure* Violet is on the naughty list, but she hopes Santa will bring her a new bone anyway.) She was a puppy when we adopted her though (a puppy mill rescue) so I don't think the rescue could have known how she'd turn out.

Our most recent dog (a purebred Standard Poodle) was the most difficult to find in rescue. It took us over 4 months of daily looking, calling, etc. There were a couple "possibilities" that didn't work out. For one, they got multiple applications and we were not the family chosen for the dog. Another one looked good, but I couldn't get anyone to reply to me... and she was listed for several weeks. But the dog we finally ended up with is a great dog. He was worth the wait.

I think the more specific you are, the harder it is to find exactly what you're looking for in rescue... but if you are persistent and patient, you'll eventually find it.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #101
JESW
We have 4 cats, 1 anole lizard, and 10, yes, 10 birds - 2 cockatiels and 8 parakeets, but still no partridge in a pear tree
It just craps me up!

Check the Great Dog Rescue New England site as there are 3 dogs like that listed there today, Thursday

Jill

Still thinking about plans for 2015....
JESW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #102
Fly4free
DIS Veteran

I agree with pp that said dogs are given up for many reasons. I just adopted the sweetest, best dog ever and i am his 3rd owner.

This dog was adopted as a puppy by an older woman who already had a dog. Woman had a heart attack and was in poor condition and was told by dr. she could not take care of a young puppy. She relinquished the pup to a rescue run by her current vet.
The rescue rehomed him to a family with school age kids. The kids did great taking care of dog until school started up again. Poor dog was left in crate for 10-12 hrs. a day. kids would not let him out when they came home from school. Their mother thought this was unfair to the dog so she returned him to the rescue.
My friend uses this vet too and often fosters dogs for them, while helping to find them homes. I saw a picture of this cutie, and when I heard how good he was I offered to foster him myself because her lively dog was running foster dog ragged. Well, we knew he was a keeper right away. He just fit right in with my family, and that's saying a lot.
It was an ideal situation because we were able to foster him for a while before committing. I also agree it's good for animals to be in a foster home so that they can evaluate them for compatibility and potential problems.
New "puppy" is the #1 item on kids Christmas list.

Op, I wish you the best in your search for a new dog. I can see how it would be very frustrating. I don't have a fenced in yard but it's not a problem for us. More walks for us! Hopefully patience will pay off for you.
Fly4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #103
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Update 1/15/13

Wanted to share that patience did pay off for us and we found our little guy!! We are rescuing an 18 month old Shih Tzu from a rescue group in TN! He is the cutest little thing and we couldn't be more thrilled. Have to admit we had quite a bit of "let downs" along the way but in the end, I believe he was the one meant for us. I'll try to post a pic this weekend (If I can figure that out...lol). Thank you all for the words of encouragement...we are beyond excited!

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #104
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
Wanted to share that patience did pay off for us and we found our little guy!! We are rescuing an 18 month old Shih Tzu from a rescue group in TN! He is the cutest little thing and we couldn't be more thrilled. Have to admit we had quite a bit of "let downs" along the way but in the end, I believe he was the one meant for us. I'll try to post a pic this weekend (If I can figure that out...lol). Thank you all for the words of encouragement...we are beyond excited!
As a rescue foster, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #105
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Congratulations! I hope he is the perfect fit for your family!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: