Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #76
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathalee81 View Post
This is bashing.

This is informative.

While you did not have any luck with rescues, you need not criticize them as you did in your second post.

As I said, rescues aren't putting your needs first, they are putting the needs of an animal that, in most cases, has been abused and neglected. They are trying their best, and it is really insulting, as a person that is involved with rescue, that you don't seem to understand that or care about it. Think, for a moment, how your words affect others, okay?

I understand why some people don't want to work with rescues, that is why I gave the poster information about how to find reputable breeders in her area.
It's not bashing.
The poster said he/she didn't like the scrutiny. There's nothing wrong with that- it's not criticism. I took it as sharing how they felt. We went through it to adopt our child but no way no how would I do it in order to adopt a pet.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #77
nathalee81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
It's not bashing.
The poster said he/she didn't like the scrutiny. There's nothing wrong with that- it's not criticism. I took it as sharing how they felt. We went through it to adopt our child but no way no how would I do it in order to adopt a pet.
Sigh...then don't.

Sorry if I got upset, kind of like you did when someone mentioned it was easier adopting a child than a dog. Guess that subject is a important one to you, much like this one is to me? It's a funny thing when people say things and don't understand how words can hurt, isn't it? Guess that only applies to certain people, though...

I am removing myself from this thread now.

OP-I wish you all the luck in your search for a furry family member.
nathalee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #78
KBoopaloo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
I'm betting part Border Collie. Hyper, but highly intelligent and trainable.
My rescue that I was not sure of is part Border Collie and that is why I was unsure of her. I feared she would be way too hyper so I was nervous about taking her on. She is amazing and I can't imagine my day to day life without her now! She is also super duper smart.
1984 - Contemporary ~ 1991 - Caribbean Beach ~ 1999 - Port Orleans French Quarter ~ 2000 - Vista Way (College Program) ~ 2001 - AllStar Music ~ 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 & 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside ~ 2008 Beach Club ~2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge~ 2009 Saratoga Springs(x2) & Pop Century 2010 Boardwalk Inn, Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas - Jambo House & Coronado Springs~ 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter & Kidani Village(April), Old Key West & Beach Club (October) 2012 AKV - Jambo and Yacht Club (Commodore Suite!) 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter and Boardwalk Inn 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
KBoopaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #79
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESW View Post
Have you checked Buddy Dog in Sudbury? They have a dog the type you are looking for:

http://www.buddydoghs.com/dogs-for-adoption-2/

I am probably near you as I am in SE MA near the RI border too. We went to Save a Dog in Sudbury last week and I wish I had known about Buddy Dog then as it is right down the road from them. It was about a 40 minute drive so not bad.

Good luck!!

Jill
Thank you for this... I had never heard about them. I just called about the Shih Tzu they have on their website but he's already on hold for someone else.
1997:Travelodge-DTD| 2005:ASMu| 2007:POP| 2009:CSR| 2010:AKL| 2011:BC CL| 2012:BC CL| 2013:BC CL| Oct. 2013:BC|Aug. 2014:GF| Oct. 2014: CR CL &YC CL| Dec. 2014: CSR| Jan 2015: CSR|Aug 2015: CR CL & Poly CL

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #80
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathalee81 View Post
This is bashing.

This is informative.

While you did not have any luck with rescues, you need not criticize them as you did in your second post.

As I said, rescues aren't putting your needs first, they are putting the needs of an animal that, in most cases, has been abused and neglected. They are trying their best, and it is really insulting, as a person that is involved with rescue, that you don't seem to understand that or care about it. Think, for a moment, how your words affect others, okay?

I understand why some people don't want to work with rescues, that is why I gave the poster information about how to find reputable breeders in her area.
Neither is bashing. I was sharing my experience and how I felt about it. Others on this thread have expressed similar feelings. Perhaps instead of dismissing negative feedback as bashing, it was should be taken into consideration to make the adoption process easier and more comfortable for all. If its really about finding loving homes for these dogs, maybe hearing about why they decided to go to a breeder, instead of a rescue, is important.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #81
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaPolynesian View Post
To give you an example, the kennel we rescue from currently has about 10 poodle/shih tzu mix dogs who would be hypoallergenic. So they are out there! Here is just one of many of the dogs who only have days to live:

I've been looking at poodle/poodle mixes for a few months now and i seem to find an abundance of small ones, around 10-20lb range. They look cute and appear to have good personalities, according to their write-ups, but it leaves me wondering: If these dogs are so great, why are they in rescue? I suspect a lot of these little dogs are not housebroken. People put up with it for a while, then they get tired of the stained carpets and "trade up" for a new dog, whom they, of course, will not housebreak either.

Am I right? those of you who work with rescues, aren't most of those little dogs piddlers?

I am not quite in the place to get a new dog but I am really torn about this. I would love to have an adult-to-senior, medium size poodle/poodle mix but I have to be honest. If they're not going to be housetrained, it's gonna be a deal breaker for me. I'm willing to give it a go--I housebroke my other dog when he was a pup and he would have rather exploded than wet or poop in the house. But if by "housebroken" they mean taking the dog out every 90 min during the day and twice at night, um, that's not housebroken, in my book. That's trip training. I'd love to have a rescue dog, but I'm not sure the rescues will let me adopt if I am honest with them about the house training.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #82
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
I've been looking at poodle/poodle mixes for a few months now and i seem to find an abundance of small ones, around 10-20lb range. They look cute and appear to have good personalities, according to their write-ups, but it leaves me wondering: If these dogs are so great, why are they in rescue? I suspect a lot of these little dogs are not housebroken. People put up with it for a while, then they get tired of the stained carpets and "trade up" for a new dog, whom they, of course, will not housebreak either.

Am I right? those of you who work with rescues, aren't most of those little dogs piddlers?

I am not quite in the place to get a new dog but I am really torn about this. I would love to have an adult-to-senior, medium size poodle/poodle mix but I have to be honest. If they're not going to be housetrained, it's gonna be a deal breaker for me. I'm willing to give it a go--I housebroke my other dog when he was a pup and he would have rather exploded than wet or poop in the house. But if by "housebroken" they mean taking the dog out every 90 min during the day and twice at night, um, that's not housebroken, in my book. That's trip training. I'd love to have a rescue dog, but I'm not sure the rescues will let me adopt if I am honest with them about the house training.
A lot of fabulous dogs are turned in because people are lazy and suck.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #83
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We get a fair number of little dogs, but it's not a disproportionate number. Some do have housebreaking issues. Some have issues like wanting to eat the cat or not getting along with another dog. But many are abandoned for reasons that have nothing to do with the dog.

Some I've heard recently are:
Owner is moving to a no-dogs apartment
Owner died
Owner's kid developed allergies
Owner is being deployed overseas
Owner lost their job and can't afford a dog
Owner's kid likes to hurt the dog
Owner's new boy friend doesn't like dogs

If you go through a rescue, the dogs are generally fostered. You can talk to the foster and ask questions about how a particular dog behaves.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #84
JESW
We have 4 cats, 1 anole lizard, and 10, yes, 10 birds - 2 cockatiels and 8 parakeets, but still no partridge in a pear tree
It just craps me up!

Did you leave your info with Buddy Dog? You never know what will happen with the people interested in him - the website says they are trying to adopt him out with another dog so maybe the people don't want two?

These are other local sites:

Hopkinton Humane Society
Save A Dog
Forever Home Rescue
Great Dog Rescue New England
Animal Rescue Network of New England (NH)

There are others, but those are the ones I've been checking lately.

Also, Petco is having dogs at their stores either on Saturday or Sunday - not sure if this is just for the month of December. I may go look at the Milford store this Sunday just to see how it's run.

Jill

Still thinking about plans for 2015....
JESW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #85
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Mine is a Miniature Poodle (about 10-11 lbs.). He came from an animal shelter (had been turned in by someone who found him wandering the streets) and was about a year old. I've had him a little over a year.

I trained Max to pads because I sometimes have to work long hours. If I am home, he tells me when he wants to go outside. He seldom uses the pads when I'm here (basically, almost never), but he does if I'm gone or if he needs to go out during the night (which works well for me! ).

I think his main issue is that he must be on a leash when he's taken out because from time to time his curiouslty gets the better of him , and he won't listen when I tell him to come back (most of the time he does but not 100% so I don't take the chance).

We adore him though. My husband had me take their picture togeether the other night to put on Facebook. You'd have to know my husband to know how unusual that request was!
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #86
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

I wasn't bashing rescue groups. That was never my intention. I think they do fantastic work. I donate money, food and supplies to several rescues and also the Humane Socitey and the shelter where we found our dog. Her picture was up on a rescue group's petfinder site but they had nothing to do with the adoption process though I figure they sponsored her in some way through the animal control shelter and I sent a donation to them.

I was a groomer for six years. I groomed puppy mill dogs that came into shelters and plan to do that again when my kids are in school all day. I dog sat and cat sat and had references. I had references from co-workers who were involved in cat rescues and I knew the process I would have to go through. I had a reference from my vet.

I fostered a dog that was a client of mine. His owner died and we didn't want him going to a shelter. He was not a good permanent fit for me at the time because I was living with my mom. He was sick and was not up to date on shots. I spent the money to get him well. I called several rescues until I finally found one that would work with me to find him a home. I didn't ask for any reimbursement of the money I spent, the rescue got the adoption fee, and I donated a good chunk of money to the group for helping him out. Heck, I even have rescue fish.

I was dismissed by four rescues because I had a young child. They would not adopt an older dog to a young couple with a kid. They wouldn't even interview me, take my references or come to my house. I tried talking to all of them on multiple occasions. I knew that they may not have had any dogs at that time that were a good fit, but I wasn't in a hurry and I tried expressing that to them. No go.

I know they have the best interest of the animals in mind. This is their passion and life's work and I commend them for devoting their time and money to helping animals. I just think that sometimes people are dismissed without any consideration and an opportunity for an animal to find a forever home is missed and in turn a spot for another animal does not open up. Their prerogative of course and they have to do what they feel is best for the animals. It was discouraging for me though but that is why I went to the shelter instead of a rescue group and in the end we found our perfect match.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #87
piglet too
I will take a Mudslide please
I do not actually eat the peppers, I just squirt
I'll never forget laying on my bed and seeing the mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
We get a fair number of little dogs, but it's not a disproportionate number. Some do have housebreaking issues. Some have issues like wanting to eat the cat or not getting along with another dog. But many are abandoned for reasons that have nothing to do with the dog.

Some I've heard recently are:
Owner is moving to a no-dogs apartment
Owner died
Owner's kid developed allergies
Owner is being deployed overseas
Owner lost their job and can't afford a dog
Owner's kid likes to hurt the dog
Owner's new boy friend doesn't like dogs

If you go through a rescue, the dogs are generally fostered. You can talk to the foster and ask questions about how a particular dog behaves.
This is one of the biggest reasons why a great dog may be in a rescue. My good friend works for a rescue and they have had many dogs given to them simply because their owners could not afford to feed them any more. When money is beyond tight, and it is hard to put food on the table for your kids, sadly the expense of a dog is sometimes how money is saved.

I understand why rescues have to make sure the home they are putting the dog in will be a "forever" home. That said, the good breeders out there try to do the same thing. My parents have had three dogs returned to them in 20 litters. The one they have now, they are shocked because they can't understand giving up a dog on the off chance that it does not like a baby that has not even been conceived yet. This breed is great with kids, and I have pictures of all three of my kids, as babies, climbing on the various dogs and playing with them. The dogs have all been more gentle then my kids.

I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death.
piglet too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #88
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

When I started this thread, I did so to hear everyone's experiences....the good, the bad, etc. This thread wasn't started to be a "bashing" although I've been around the boards long enough to know that certain topics will almost always lead to heated debating...please do not turn this into one of those threads. I really wanted and still want to hear what others experienced because I was honestly getting frustrated with my own experience thus far. Hearing that many others have had the same experience actually helps me to be a little more patient and not take it so personally and I, most certainly, do not judge all rescues/shelters to be the same. My heart, right now, is still set on getting a slightly older boy and I will continue to search and when I come across the right one for our family, I am confident I will know, albeit from a rescue, shelter, breeder or a private owner.
1997:Travelodge-DTD| 2005:ASMu| 2007:POP| 2009:CSR| 2010:AKL| 2011:BC CL| 2012:BC CL| 2013:BC CL| Oct. 2013:BC|Aug. 2014:GF| Oct. 2014: CR CL &YC CL| Dec. 2014: CSR| Jan 2015: CSR|Aug 2015: CR CL & Poly CL

Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #89
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESW View Post
Did you leave your info with Buddy Dog? You never know what will happen with the people interested in him - the website says they are trying to adopt him out with another dog so maybe the people don't want two?

These are other local sites:

Hopkinton Humane Society
Save A Dog
Forever Home Rescue
Great Dog Rescue New England
Animal Rescue Network of New England (NH)

There are others, but those are the ones I've been checking lately.

Also, Petco is having dogs at their stores either on Saturday or Sunday - not sure if this is just for the month of December. I may go look at the Milford store this Sunday just to see how it's run.

Jill
The woman I spoke with took my name and number and said she'd get back to me. I'm going to look into the others you've mentioned above as well, so thank you sharing. As for Petco, I wonder if it's only certain ones? I tried calling the one in my town and they told me they don't show dogs at their facility, huh.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #90
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Petsmart is where I see the adoptions.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: