Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #46
monami7
DIS Veteran

We took DD at 18 months.
When we were in Haiti afraid we would never get home I promised her we would go. It was my happy place. She may not have understood. But to me the thought of her taking in main street the first time and the picture I have of her touching minnies nose that first trip are priceless to me.
I was so great we took her sister when she came home a year later at 16 months!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #47
lucky1
Face Character

OP... you are probably not the first person to think that and I will admit before I had a child, I vowed I would never take a stroller to DL given the number of times I had been hit in the ankle or run over by a stroller at the parks. But then having a child changed things. We found out how great a stroller was for holding items, putting someone down for a rest and etc. When she reached 5 and graduated out of the stroller, we were missing the stroller at Disney.
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #48
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

I actually think one of my best trips was when we took my then 8 month old to DL. I got the most awesome pictures. Especially now that my kids are older they get tired of me constantly snapping pics. That was probably one of the cheapest vacations I will ever take in my life again. One baby is nothing. Try feeding, entertaining, and traveling with three children with different preferences and you will understand why people take babies. I love Disneyland and having a baby to take was the perfect excuse.

I used to be of the opposite factor and wondered why people without kids went at all. Once you have seen both sides first hand you understand.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #49
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

I married into a disney family. DH mom took them once a year from the time the park first opened in 55 until they were adults. Then she gifted them with a disney trip every other year for the grandkids.

DH says taking 5 kids to disney was traumatizing to him and the kids. None of his kids want to go to disney now that they are grown eventhough their kids keep bugging them to take them.

I was finally able to convince DH to try disney again and now we are AP holders and go every couple of months. We do not take the grown kids or grandkids though. DH says it is "our time to enjoy being kids". He does enjoy interacting with the kids at the parks but as he says "They are not my responsibility".

I am a nurse and take care of the sickest of the sick kids so I see things different and have to remind myself that most of the kids I see at disney are not sick and it is okay for them to be in parks enjoying themselves.

My first trip to disney was when I was 40 as my parents felt a yearly trip to the state fair was enough.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #50
bethwc101
Mouseketeer

I personally find it ridiculous when parents will take their babies on rides like POTC where there is no height restriction. We were trying to enjoy a ride but a couple behind us though it would be great to bring their baby along. The baby cried and screamed the entire ride. And they thought it was hilarious. The couple was laughing and thinking it was so cute. I can understand a little if you take them on Small World or Peter Pan, but keep those babies away from rides that are enjoyed by older people.
bethwc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #51
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethwc101 View Post
I personally find it ridiculous when parents will take their babies on rides like POTC where there is no height restriction. We were trying to enjoy a ride but a couple behind us though it would be great to bring their baby along. The baby cried and screamed the entire ride. And they thought it was hilarious. The couple was laughing and thinking it was so cute. I can understand a little if you take them on Small World or Peter Pan, but keep those babies away from rides that are enjoyed by older people.
The steep drops probably aren't appropriate for someone that young. Our kid is two, and we didn't even think of going together on Pirates. We did ride Mad Hatter's Party, and our kid had a blast. However, the spinning is similar to stuff we do together playing. I would think the drops would be very disconcerting to a young child.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #52
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

To the OP---babies are actually WAY easier to handle at DL and WDW than toddlers. They don't complain, they don't crawl, they don't run around. You just carry them around. They eat and nap alot. Sometimes they cry. If you're considerate, you have them cry around less people. If you are not considerate, well then I guess you care less how it affects others (either at DL or not).

I just got back from WDW, carrying my 8 month old around. I lost alot of weight after walking her 5 days in the park. It was fun to watch her interact w/characters and to let my 3YO introduce her to princesses.

With my first child (now age 3), we took her to Hawaii at 4 months, Mexico at 6 months, and she's been to WDW at least 5 times, and she was on her 4th cruise (to Alaska) in July. As of her last trip to WDW, she's been on over 22 flights. She can recount most of her trips starting from age 18 months.

Our lives revolve around our kids, and our kids' lives are also adapted to ours (which include lots of fun traveling). To the poster who said that life doesn't stop when you have kids---that's right on.

We can afford traveling right now, so why not do it when everyone is happy and healthy? I'm not sure what I'd be waiting for. I'm sure we'll have to settle down one day and cut back...but not yet We're thankful for our opportunities and the time that we have with each other.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #53
Meech Loves Mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene1974 View Post
I truly hope no one was offended or took offense to my question. I truly had no intention of that.

I just always wondered why people brought their babies. Seeing it, to me it just seemed like it wouldn't be any fun for the parents, constantly having to take time out to take care of the baby, not getting to ride all the rides. I didn't realize that a lot of the rides did allow small children on them.

I wanted kids, but found out at 15, that was never going to happen. At 38, I still haven't come to full terms that I'll never be a mom, but that's another point all together.

Anyways, if I did offend anyone by asking my question, then, I truly do apologize, because that was never my intention.

Charlene
No offense taken.

I'm so very sorry that you are not able to have kids. Having two of my own I cannot imagine how you must feel.

~ May 2014 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Feb 2014 Disneyland Resort (Solo Trip!)
~ May 2013 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Dec 2012 Disneyland & Disney California Adventure
~ May 2012 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Oct 2011 WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge & Dream Cruise
~ May 2011 WDW Swan
~ Dec 2010 WDW Coronado Springs
~ Sept 2009 WDW Port Orleans French Quarter
~ Oct 2008 WDW Hilton at Downtown Disney
~ Nov 2005 Disneyland
~ May 2002 WDW Off Property
~ March 2001 WDW Off Property
Meech Loves Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #54
profa
Mouseketeer

We have never stayed home because of kids/babies. However, CA is a TRIP for us and I wanted to go when the kids would remember it. We went last summer and they were 4,7,8 yrs. It's not something we will do regularly and it was a big deal. If I were in that area and someone gave me free tix and had to take a baby I would have. I just wouldn't plan a big vacation there otherwise w/ a baby. Just a preference.. Like a PP, I wouldn't plan a vacation to Vegas w/ kids but since we were driving through from DL last yr it was fun to stop over night.
Kids have been to east coast several times and all over but the DL trip was for them and planned around them so to remember it.
profa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #55
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene1974 View Post
I truly hope no one was offended or took offense to my question. I truly had no intention of that.

I wanted kids, but found out at 15, that was never going to happen. At 38, I still haven't come to full terms that I'll never be a mom, but that's another point all together.

Charlene
THAT is exactly why I HATE when people say "when you have kids, you'll understand". It took us over a year and a lot of money to get pregnant. Had it not worked that time, chances are we'd be childless now because we couldn't afford a 2nd try.

Sorry for digressing, but when I saw someone make that comment it rubbed me the wrong way, and I feel horrible that the OP cannot have kids.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #56
monami7
DIS Veteran

I cannot have children either. Both of mine are adopted. I do get to be a Mom. it is the greatest feeling ever to watch them at Disney. At 35 you can still adopt. It is totally worth all of the heartbreak in the end!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #57
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

For us as a young couple with a baby money was tight. So flying with an infant was cost prohibitive and she wasn't going to remember any of it anyways. When they're that small you're not going for the baby, you're really going for yourself. We decided to wait till she was old enough to really get into it at 5. And waiting was SO hard, but it made her first time and our first time taking her very special to us. Not that going with a baby for their first time isn't special, but it's a different kind of special with a different set of memories.

But I agree about people taking babies into inappropriate places. I don't want to be next to a screaming baby on a ride or the movie theater.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #58
Meech Loves Mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaLou View Post
THAT is exactly why I HATE when people say "when you have kids, you'll understand". It took us over a year and a lot of money to get pregnant. Had it not worked that time, chances are we'd be childless now because we couldn't afford a 2nd try.

Sorry for digressing, but when I saw someone make that comment it rubbed me the wrong way, and I feel horrible that the OP cannot have kids.
Excuse me, but if you look at my comment it states "If/When you have kids...". It is a fact that if you do not have kids, it's impossible to understand what life is like with them. I am truly sorry that the OP cannot have kids and I am truly sorry that you had a hard time conceiving. That is something that I will never understand, as it is something I have never gone thru.

I'm sorry if my comment rubbed you the wrong way, but one cannot be expected to know everyone's personal history when commenting on a subject.

~ May 2014 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Feb 2014 Disneyland Resort (Solo Trip!)
~ May 2013 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Dec 2012 Disneyland & Disney California Adventure
~ May 2012 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Oct 2011 WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge & Dream Cruise
~ May 2011 WDW Swan
~ Dec 2010 WDW Coronado Springs
~ Sept 2009 WDW Port Orleans French Quarter
~ Oct 2008 WDW Hilton at Downtown Disney
~ Nov 2005 Disneyland
~ May 2002 WDW Off Property
~ March 2001 WDW Off Property
Meech Loves Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #59
mafpi
Mouseketeer

I took al my kids since they were babies. It was the only time I can take them to Disneyland for free
Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #60
MateasMom
We're Mimis junkies
I'm not even remotely goth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
The steep drops probably aren't appropriate for someone that young. Our kid is two, and we didn't even think of going together on Pirates. We did ride Mad Hatter's Party, and our kid had a blast. However, the spinning is similar to stuff we do together playing. I would think the drops would be very disconcerting to a young child.
Actually, Pirates and Haunted Mansion were favorites when I had an infant. It was a nice sit down break where mom/dad could enjoy a ride together, and baby could be nursed to sleep. Sounds like the people a previous poster experienced were just rude people, baby or not.
MateasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: