Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #91
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

After everyone had made it across the bridges, they strapped us in again and we got to hang over the Crocodiles with the guide in this area answering questions. And again I took a lot of pictures as did the guides. A few of mine:

Guides:

They took pictures of each group again:

This one was taken without any zoom to show you how close we were to the Crocodiles. You can see a pair of feet at the edge of the drop.

I was off to one side again but they load you from one side and then you go out the other so I was able to get right up to the edge for a minute.

As we headed away from the Crocodiles I took one more picture of the two bridges. You can see part of the Safari road:

We walked for a bit more through a wooded area with lots of ferns. I think the guide called them Christmas ferns?

And then stopped for another group picture. Thumbs up to show that we made it across the bridges alive.

Ah, hereís the Savanna and a few trucks below us:

At that point, we arrived at a truck waiting for us. We took off our vests and earpieces and loaded everyone onto the truck. We drove out onto the Savanna on the same road the Safari trucks. We stopped for a few seconds to get a picture of this guy (not sure what he is):

And hereís the Giraffes!

And some kind of cattle (I really should have written the names down):

Continued in next Post
Pluto0809 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #92
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Once we got out into the middle of the Savanna, we stopped on a little side road and sat for about 15 minutes. All 7 of the giraffes were right around the vehicle and I got a lot of pictures. The guides also told us a lot of facts about the giraffes, most of which I have since forgotten. My pictures:

Guides pictures:

This is my favorite picture of the giraffes that I took. In the background, you can see the Boma where we would be stopping for a snack.

We also saw a few Wildebeests laying in the shade:

As we pulled away, the male giraffe (only one male, the rest are all female) decided to be curious and follow us up the path. No zoom on these pictures:

Up Next: Elephants, Snacking on the Savanna and the end of the Trek
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #93
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Beautiful pics!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #94
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Beautiful pictures!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #95
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Wonderful pictures! I loved how close you can get to the Crocs on WAT, that was one of the best parts for me! It was almost scary how close you can get, but since they are pretty sedantary it wasn't too bad!

Great pictures of the Savannah animals, especially the giraffes. The male was very curious with us too, and came right up to the Boma while we ate!

Oh, and the animals you didn't know were a Patterson's Eland (the big antelope one) and Ankole Cattle, also called Watusi Cattle after the Watusi tribe

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR

PhoenixStrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #96
KatMark
DIS Veteran

What wonderful updates. Now you have me second guessing myself as to whether or not we should do Discovery Cove and swim with the dolphins in August or do the Wild Trek (the dolphin swim is our 30th wedding anniversary gift to each other). Your pictures are fabulous, especially the giraffes...my favorite animal.

And, as for your ADR at the Plaza: We love this place. It is always our last meal of the trip before we head to Marco.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #97
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

LOVE these pictures! You did a FANTASTIC job of photo-documenting your experience, Ariana! I am one who gets so caught up in the experience that she forgets to take pictures most of the time...
oopsiDAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #98
katt789
DIS Veteran

Man, those are amazing photos!! This Trek looks like it was absolutely amazing!! Great shots of the animals, as if they're that close to you all the time! Ack!! Little fact; did you know that when the Safari drivers are being trained, they're told that if someone falls into the Croc pit, they have to drive away as fast as they can! No one needs to see that, and there's a less chance of someone jumping in to try and help them (because helping wouldn't work)

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #99
campinggal
DIS Veteran

So excited to find your trip report!!

My DD (age 16) and I will be doing a Mom/Daughter trip in March and I have us booked to do the Trek. It is a surprise for her so she doesn't know about it yet but I'm so excited to do it myself and I am loving your pictures and your thorough descriptions.

What is the range of the zoom you have on your camera? You got some great shots!

Thanks for sharing!

Liz
campinggal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #100
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Beautiful pics!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
Beautiful pictures!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
Wonderful pictures! I loved how close you can get to the Crocs on WAT, that was one of the best parts for me! It was almost scary how close you can get, but since they are pretty sedantary it wasn't too bad!

Great pictures of the Savannah animals, especially the giraffes. The male was very curious with us too, and came right up to the Boma while we ate!

Oh, and the animals you didn't know were a Patterson's Eland (the big antelope one) and Ankole Cattle, also called Watusi Cattle after the Watusi tribe
Thanks! It was very neat being that close to the Crocs. They barely moved when we were there but it would have been interesting to see how everyone reacted if one had moved suddenly! I'm sure I would have taken a step back without even realizing I was doing it.

Unfortunately the giraffes didn't come too close to the Boma while we were eating but at least we got to see them up close from the truck.

Thanks for the names of those animals! I really should have written that stuff down. I only knew the Colobus monkeys because I took a picture of the sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
What wonderful updates. Now you have me second guessing myself as to whether or not we should do Discovery Cove and swim with the dolphins in August or do the Wild Trek (the dolphin swim is our 30th wedding anniversary gift to each other). Your pictures are fabulous, especially the giraffes...my favorite animal.

And, as for your ADR at the Plaza: We love this place. It is always our last meal of the trip before we head to Marco.
Oh boy, that would be a hard decision. I've never swam with Dolphins but that sounds like it would be an awesome experience. But the Trek was a once in a lifetime experience for Mom and I. We loved it so much that we are talking about going again in 2014 and taking my Brother, SIL, and my Cousin's 8 year old son.

I'm actually really excited for the meal at the Plaza. I've never eaten on Main Street (well other than Casey's) and I think it will be a fun time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiDAISY View Post
LOVE these pictures! You did a FANTASTIC job of photo-documenting your experience, Ariana! I am one who gets so caught up in the experience that she forgets to take pictures most of the time...
Thanks, I just kept telling myself "got to get pictures for my TR". Mom even got into the act, pointing out things I needed to photograph! There were times though when I did get caught up and forgot to take photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
Man, those are amazing photos!! This Trek looks like it was absolutely amazing!! Great shots of the animals, as if they're that close to you all the time! Ack!! Little fact; did you know that when the Safari drivers are being trained, they're told that if someone falls into the Croc pit, they have to drive away as fast as they can! No one needs to see that, and there's a less chance of someone jumping in to try and help them (because helping wouldn't work)
Well, I did use zoom some of the time but the male Giraffe did get pretty close and you can see how close we were to the Crocs!

I have heard that fact! A little scary but if you're going to jump out of the Safari vehicle guess you have to pay the price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinggal View Post
So excited to find your trip report!!

My DD (age 16) and I will be doing a Mom/Daughter trip in March and I have us booked to do the Trek. It is a surprise for her so she doesn't know about it yet but I'm so excited to do it myself and I am loving your pictures and your thorough descriptions.

What is the range of the zoom you have on your camera? You got some great shots!

Thanks for sharing!

Liz
Glad you found my TR! How exciting that you will be surprising your daughter with the Trek. So how are you going to tell her? Ahead of time or just surprise her on the day of? I told Mom ahead of time because I wanted it to be her birthday present and her birthday was before our trip.

As for the zoom on my camera, no idea! I just have a little point and shoot. It's a Canon Power Shot SD1300IS if that helps you any. I've found it does great in the day time but not so good at night.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #101
campinggal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto0809 View Post
Thanks!

Glad you found my TR! How exciting that you will be surprising your daughter with the Trek. So how are you going to tell her? Ahead of time or just surprise her on the day of? I told Mom ahead of time because I wanted it to be her birthday present and her birthday was before our trip.

As for the zoom on my camera, no idea! I just have a little point and shoot. It's a Canon Power Shot SD1300IS if that helps you any. I've found it does great in the day time but not so good at night.

Good question on the 'how to tell her'...I'm trying to figure that out. She is actually turning 16 on the Monday after our Trek so the surprise will come before the birthday. I'll probably do something little ahead of time as she is one who likes to enjoy the anticipation of an event rather than just 'bam...surprise...event...done'. I almost slipped and showed her your pictures when I found them. I think I will at some point when I tell her- might do it on as a 'one month from today you will be...' kind of thing.

Thanks for the camera info- totally helps out my question about zoom!

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip. Thanks again!
campinggal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #102
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinggal View Post
Good question on the 'how to tell her'...I'm trying to figure that out. She is actually turning 16 on the Monday after our Trek so the surprise will come before the birthday. I'll probably do something little ahead of time as she is one who likes to enjoy the anticipation of an event rather than just 'bam...surprise...event...done'. I almost slipped and showed her your pictures when I found them. I think I will at some point when I tell her- might do it on as a 'one month from today you will be...' kind of thing.

Thanks for the camera info- totally helps out my question about zoom!

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip. Thanks again!
I'm sure that however you tell her she will be excited! I had a blast putting the scrapbook together for Mom. It took a lot of time though because I'm not that creative. Plus finding stickers and other stuff with Hippos and Crocodiles was not the easiest.

I'm going to try to get an update done this morning as long as Photo Bucket is cooperating.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #103
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Elephants, Snacking on the Savanna and the End of the Trek

After we left the Savanna area with the Giraffes, we stopped for a while in front of the Elephants. Both babies were out. My pictures:

Guides:

Love these trees; I always end up with pictures of them:

The little male was ďplayingĒ with a big rock. It was so cute and I managed to get a pretty good picture:

And one the Guides took:

Elephant butt!

We then drove to the Boma to have our snack.

While we were waiting for the guides to get set up, I took a few pictures of our view. Flamingos:

We could see the elephants:

Looking the other way towards the Savanna. Unfortunately, the Giraffes were pretty far away the whole time we were at the Boma.

Continued in next post.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #104
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Then we sat down at the tables for our snack.

The tables were for four people so we sat with another couple, Brenda and Rich. We actually ran into them two more times later in the week!

When I booked the tour, I cheated a little and said that I was allergic to seafood. I really donít like Salmon and that was the only way to get the meal without it. Hereís my bucket with the special tag:

The top of the bucket:

The top item was a fruit salad. Iím not big on melon but oh my gosh this was the best fruit salad I have ever eaten. I donít know what they put on it but it was so good I ate every bite of mine plus half of Momís. She liked it too but gave me hers because I wasnít eating much.

Next to the fruit salad was a yogurt with granola and dried fruit. I tried it but didnít like either the texture or flavor.

The bottom one was cheese and dried apricots. I actually ate this. I canít remember what kind of cheese it was but it was pretty mild.

The orchid was also edible and I tasted it. It didnít have any flavor at all.

Hereís the bottom of mine:

And hereís Momís

The top item was Bruchetta. I put some on one of the pieces of bread but didnít eat much. It was a bit too strong and I have to watch how much pork I eat. Itís another one of the foods that bothers my digestive system. I did finish off all of the bread since I wasnít eating much out of the bucket.

The bottom one reminded me of an energy bar and was made with Dates. I barely got through the bite I tried. The texture was just too weird for me. Iím not even sure how it tasted!

The last dish was the only thing that was different between the two buckets. I had turkey pinwheels and Mom had Salmon pinwheels over (I think) a cucumber salad. I loved the turkey pinwheels and ate every bite. I think they were rolled with a mild cheese but I couldnít taste it at all. Mom liked her salmon ones as salmon is one of her favorite dishes.

Mom was also fascinated by the little wooden spoons they gave you to eat with. She wanted to take it with her but the guide said they wash and reuse them.

We also got the special jungle juice to drink:

I was really looking forward to trying this as Iíd read so many good things about it in other TRs. I was kind of disappointed because while I liked it, I wasnít blown away.

While we were sitting there eating, we had a small visitor.

When we finished eating, we had a few minutes to look around. I didnít take many more pictures because the animals were so far away.

One more Giraffe with lots of zoom:

We did some animal watching with the binoculars:

And the guides took some pictures of Mom and I:

There was also another walkway where you could go and see the Lions and the Rhinos. One of the guides walked down and said there were no animals out so Mom and I didnít walk down.

Continued in next post.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #105
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Once everyone was done eating, we loaded back up into the truck and left the Boma area. We passed by the Flamingos:

We stopped for a few minutes at the Cheetahs. They were pretty far away and my pictures did not come out well:

but the guides got a good one:

The next stop was by the Lions. They were pretty far away as usual and I didnít get very good pictures. Hereís the best:

The Guides did a little better.

We drove by the Ostriches:

When we got to the zebras, we pulled over again and watched them for a while. I got one picture in:

And then my camera battery died. I had another one but unfortunately it was back in our locker. But the guides took a lot of photos:

After the zebras, the truck dropped us off on the opposite side of the road from where the Safari trucks unload. We walked back to the area we first started and stopped for one more group picture with both of the Stephanieís.

At that time, we had a chance to decide which animal we would like part of our tour fee to be donated to. I picked Elephants and Mom picked White Rhinos. We got a special pin for donating that is only given to people on the WAT.

I went back up and got our stuff from the locker and then the guides lead us back out to Tusker House. We were done with the tour right at 11 am.

We both loved WAT. It was a really awesome, once in a lifetime experience especially since we are animal lovers. We really want to do the Trek every time we go to Disney!

Up next: The rest of Animal Kingdom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: