Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #76
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Plans sound great on the March trip.
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #77
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiDAISY View Post
I.AM.SO.JEALOUS!!!!! What a great trip you have planned...and all by yourself. You can just do what YOU want to do, go where YOU want to go! I wish you the BEST trip EVER!!!!

Hmmm, I need to get my shopping list and gift cards ready to pass on to you when I see you next month...
Sorry for making you jealous (well not really )! I'm just at the point in my life where I can afford to go more often. I think I'm trying to make up for the 12 year gap between 1998 and 2010.

I am excited to be able to do what I want, when I want! On my 2011 trip, one friend was attending a conference and the other liked spending time at the resort pool. I got a taste of the freedom being solo can give you and have been craving it ever since. Not that I would have changed the trip with my Mom for anything!

Bring on the shopping list! I love to shop. Whether it's for me or someone else I don't care.
Pluto0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #78
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Plans sound great on the March trip.
Thanks!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #79
katt789
DIS Veteran

Hey!! I made it! I seriously donít know how I missed the link for your TR before! But Iím here now!!

Aw man, I absolutely love it when planes are empty! On my way home I had a row to myself and could just curl up and stretch out when I wanted, it was great! I also really enjoy the hilarious Delta safety videos, like, what is that!? You can see stuff from Disney in the sky?!!? WHAT?! I guess I never really have the window seat so I canít really take a good look, maybe I will this time!? Oh mini fake monorailÖ

Wow..I *wish* we could get to Disney that early! I think the earliest we could make it is around 5pm, and that requires leaving the house around 3:00am. Lawl.

Man, CBR is a really awesome resort! I think itís probably my favorite at the moment, I mean, obviously the deluxeís are nice, but who can actually afford to stay there for a full week? Hahaha. Itís cheap, itís pretty, it all around won for us when we were there!

UhÖmartini trio!?!? I think this is something that I would need to try next time!! Yum!! Iím pretty sure that Le Cellier is seriously just the best food Iíve ever had, the pretzel bread is so good in the soup!! But I get the digesting stuff, I had the soup, and boy did I pay for it ahaha, talk about a stomach ache! I still find it so weird that they said they didnít do the mashed potatos at dinner that dayÖ

Itís turning into 2 meal credits?! Ah man, címon!! No fair! And my Mom and I found that too, best meal of the week, and nothing could compare to it after that, hahah. Man, our Epcot day was so close, I wouldíve been around the France area at 2, hanging with Aurora, then when you got out of lunch, I was over with Belle, bhaha!

That stage must have been set up for like, the new years party or something. I know when Disney Channel Rocks started, it was there, but then they changed it to a ďfloatĒ that moved down the street with them, but that week it was back to the stageÖ.hmmÖ

You guys definitely spent a lot more time in the lights than I did, granted, I was absolutely freezing, and had already sat through Fantasmic, lawl. I didnít know there was a photopass in there, some great pics of you guys! Ah, early nights, I was home by about 9:00 that night too, early nights all around!

Aahhaha, donít even worry about booking/planning a trip with that little time. Iíve planned and booked a trip for the next week before, itís great! Haha, traveling solo is pretty awesome, and itís definitely safe in Disney, I donít think Iíve ever had a moment that Iíve been worried about anything in Disney, I just always get freaked out by things that go bump in the night haha!

When we stayed at CBR we never went down to the food court for any meals but one dinner, and we ended up eating outside at the bar! Lawl.

Iíve never been on Star Tours, I (this is shameful to admit) have never actually seen any of the originals, and the only reason I saw the new ones was because a friend of mine dragged me to it. Thus, have never bothered with the ride, hopefully Iím not missing much!

I LOVE THAT LITTLE BLUE GATE ON THE RIGHT ON TSM!!! BEST EVER!! I also have the Iphone game! I love it, it makes me feel so at home when you play with the music, and I think it definitely helps, you know more where to aim for more targets to come out

So glad you got into pin trading! In April a friend and I both bought stuff to start off with but never ended up trading. I donít like spending tons of money on them, but I went on Ebay and got a huge bag of them for like $30.00 and now I absolutely love the pin trading!

Aw man, somewhere right around the time you guys were finished up with AI, I was headed between B&tB and the Star Wars store to meet a friend, weeeird. Could have crossed paths again!

Yay for a new trip booked and all planned out! We will definitely be in Magic Kingdom at some time on the Friday!! Itís our last full day in the parks and weíll be park hopping pretty much everywhere (minus Epcot most likely).

There! Now Iím all caught up! Yay!
katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #80
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Plans sound good! You will LOVE doing a totally solo trip. My last 3 trips have all been solo and I've loved every minute of them. If you start getting bored or lonely the CMs will talk to you, as will many guests in line.

I thought 7 was supposed to be a lucky number?? A September TR
PhoenixStrength is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #81
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
Hey!! I made it! I seriously donít know how I missed the link for your TR before! But Iím here now!!

No problem, glad you found it!

Aw man, I absolutely love it when planes are empty! On my way home I had a row to myself and could just curl up and stretch out when I wanted, it was great! I also really enjoy the hilarious Delta safety videos, like, what is that!? You can see stuff from Disney in the sky?!!? WHAT?! I guess I never really have the window seat so I canít really take a good look, maybe I will this time!? Oh mini fake monorailÖ

I know, those Delta videos were really weird! I definitely saw the Swan and Dolphin and SE. It was really exciting and I wish my camera hadn't been in my bag on the floor.

Wow..I *wish* we could get to Disney that early! I think the earliest we could make it is around 5pm, and that requires leaving the house around 3:00am. Lawl.

It's actually only about an 8 hour drive to Disney for me! I prefer to fly when I'm alone though.

Man, CBR is a really awesome resort! I think itís probably my favorite at the moment, I mean, obviously the deluxeís are nice, but who can actually afford to stay there for a full week? Hahaha. Itís cheap, itís pretty, it all around won for us when we were there!

Mom and I both loved CBR. We had no problems with the buses and didn't think the walking was bad at all. I've stayed at all the moderates except POFQ and I think I would have to pick POR as my favorite. As for the Deluxe's, I don't spend enough time in the room to justify the price!

UhÖmartini trio!?!? I think this is something that I would need to try next time!! Yum!! Iím pretty sure that Le Cellier is seriously just the best food Iíve ever had, the pretzel bread is so good in the soup!! But I get the digesting stuff, I had the soup, and boy did I pay for it ahaha, talk about a stomach ache! I still find it so weird that they said they didnít do the mashed potatos at dinner that dayÖ

Yep, Martini Trio! I saw it on another TR and had to have it. I would have had the same problem as you if I would have had the soup. I decided it was not worth it to be sick in Disney!

Itís turning into 2 meal credits?! Ah man, címon!! No fair! And my Mom and I found that too, best meal of the week, and nothing could compare to it after that, hahah. Man, our Epcot day was so close, I wouldíve been around the France area at 2, hanging with Aurora, then when you got out of lunch, I was over with Belle, bhaha!

Yep, two credits started January 1st. I also can't believe we didn't run into each other.

That stage must have been set up for like, the new years party or something. I know when Disney Channel Rocks started, it was there, but then they changed it to a ďfloatĒ that moved down the street with them, but that week it was back to the stageÖ.hmmÖ

I'm guessing the stage was something special just for Christmas. I hope it's gone when I go in March!

You guys definitely spent a lot more time in the lights than I did, granted, I was absolutely freezing, and had already sat through Fantasmic, lawl. I didnít know there was a photopass in there, some great pics of you guys! Ah, early nights, I was home by about 9:00 that night too, early nights all around!

It was pretty warm the night we were there. There was actually two photopass spots but we only waited in line for one of them.

Aahhaha, donít even worry about booking/planning a trip with that little time. Iíve planned and booked a trip for the next week before, itís great! Haha, traveling solo is pretty awesome, and itís definitely safe in Disney, I donít think Iíve ever had a moment that Iíve been worried about anything in Disney, I just always get freaked out by things that go bump in the night haha!

I didn't have any problem booking! I did get a few weirder times for meals but I still got most everything I wanted. There were even a few Le Cellier spots open. I was tempted but didn't want to use two credits.

When we stayed at CBR we never went down to the food court for any meals but one dinner, and we ended up eating outside at the bar! Lawl.

We only had breakfast there. We never made it back to the resort for meals.

Iíve never been on Star Tours, I (this is shameful to admit) have never actually seen any of the originals, and the only reason I saw the new ones was because a friend of mine dragged me to it. Thus, have never bothered with the ride, hopefully Iím not missing much!

If you haven't seen the first three movies, I would skip it. The ride is mostly based on them. Mom has seen the movies but a long time ago so she was kind of lost.

I LOVE THAT LITTLE BLUE GATE ON THE RIGHT ON TSM!!! BEST EVER!! I also have the Iphone game! I love it, it makes me feel so at home when you play with the music, and I think it definitely helps, you know more where to aim for more targets to come out

Yep, I was excited to get to go through the blue gate! I had read about it on here but had never been directed that way before. I love the music on the game too but DH can't stand it! I usually have to play with the sound off.

So glad you got into pin trading! In April a friend and I both bought stuff to start off with but never ended up trading. I donít like spending tons of money on them, but I went on Ebay and got a huge bag of them for like $30.00 and now I absolutely love the pin trading!

I don't think I will ever be able to go without pin trading again. I also bought a large lot off of Ebay so I have plenty left for this next trip.

Aw man, somewhere right around the time you guys were finished up with AI, I was headed between B&tB and the Star Wars store to meet a friend, weeeird. Could have crossed paths again!

Missed each other again! Darn!

Yay for a new trip booked and all planned out! We will definitely be in Magic Kingdom at some time on the Friday!! Itís our last full day in the parks and weíll be park hopping pretty much everywhere (minus Epcot most likely).

There! Now Iím all caught up! Yay!
We have to get together this time! There is no way we can be in Disney at the same time again and not have a DIS meet. I will PM you my cell phone number so you can text me when you get to MK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
Plans sound good! You will LOVE doing a totally solo trip. My last 3 trips have all been solo and I've loved every minute of them. If you start getting bored or lonely the CMs will talk to you, as will many guests in line.
Thanks! I can't wait to do the solo trip! I don't talk to other people much in real life but there is something about Disney that brings out the best in people. I find it much easier to talk to others while in Disney!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #82
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Animal Kingdom and Mom's Birthday Present

We were up at 5 am this day and out the door by 6:45 as we had an 8 am Wild Africa Trek! I had gotten this for Mom for her birthday and we were both very excited to do the tour. Momís birthday was in September so I put together a scrapbook for her with some info about the tour. If you would like to see the pages from the scrapbook, they are posted here:

Scrapbook Pages

I have 140 pictures from this day plus I have another 100 or so from the WAT CD. Itís going to take me a while to get through the whole day. I think itís going to take at least three updates just for the WAT.

We ate breakfast (the stuff we bought the night before) as we got ready so I donít have any pictures but who needs to see pictures of a bowl of Rice Krispies anyway?

We headed to the bus stop and were there pretty quickly. We waited awhile and about 7:10 I was starting to get a little panicked. We were supposed to be at the front gates of AK by 7:45. So I picked up the phone at the bus stop and called the transportation line. I had barely started to talk to the lady when our bus pulled up at 7:15. I didnít need to worry as we were at the front of AK by 7:40 and we werenít the last ones in our group to arrive.

We met up with our tour guides (Stephanie and Stephanie) right outside of the AK gates and they advised us to use the bathrooms there because it would be the last ones till we got to the snack area about 1 Ĺ to 2 hours later. After everyone was sufficiently drained, we headed into the park. Along the way, I took a picture of everyoneís favorite tree:

We went behind Tusker House and onto an unpaved path that led into the woods. I took this picture of the area right by the trail. I just love how Disney themes even the areas that not many people will see:

You are not allowed to carry anything that isnít strapped down on the tour (they even made one lady take Kleenex out of her pocket) so the guides asked us to pick a locker captain for each group. Mom immediately elected me so I took all of our stuff and went around behind the building. They had a row of lockers that used a four digit pin code which was nice as you didnít have to worry about losing a key.

Once I finished that, we came back around and got in line to get our vests fitted. Mom was ahead of me; here she is at the weigh in station getting her vest:

The weigh in was very discreet then I moved to the next person who fitted me for my ear piece (to hear the guides) and also strapped down my camera. The camera strap was very long and I had no problem using it to get lots of pictures. We were also given a name tag and a water bottle that clipped to our vest.

After that we moved to a third person that tightened up the straps on the vest. Hereís Mom getting hers done:

Once we were all suited up we headed to the practice bridge to give it a try:

I found the practice bridge to be very easy but I am tall and have long legs. Mom said some of the bigger gaps were a bit of a stretch for her.

Mom took this picture of me before we started out. You can see the string that connected my camera to the vest.

And then one of the other ladies on the tour took this one for us. The guides let me detach my camera for a minute.

After that we headed back out towards Tusker House. Hereís a very blurry picture of us walking:

And hereís the back side of Tusker House:

We stopped here for a minute and had a group picture taken. There were twelve in our party, 4 groups of two, all couples except Mom and I, and one group of four that consisted of Grandma, Mom, Dad and Daughter. First a serious picture:

Then a fun one where we were supposed to be the ďpredatorsĒ and our guide the ďpreyĒ. I apparently was not in the mood to be a predator:

And then we headed out towards the Pagoni Forest Trail:

As we were walking, one of the Stephanieís explained to us that there is no word for very is Swahili. She pointed out this ice cream cart:

And explained that when a word is repeated it means ďveryĒ. Baridi means cold in Swahili so Baridi Baridi means very cold. And that concludes our lesson in Swahili for today.

We passed pretty quickly by the Colobus Monkeys:

The Okapi (the baby was out!):

And then through the bird sanctuary. The guide took this picture:

I was having trouble getting pictures of the birds because the sun was so bright so I took a picture of the pretty fish:

Once we got to the hippo area, we stopped for a few minutes because there were two hippos sleeping in the water. It was neat to see them breath in their sleep. First one would raise his head then the other. I took a few pictures but they are kind of dark.

Continued in next post
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #83
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

After that, we headed off the trail through a gate right past the hippo enclosure. It led up and over the hippos so we could see them from above. It really was off trail, there were a lot of roots and I spent most of the time walking with my head down so I didnít trip.

Once we reached the Hippo area, they strapped us in and we got to hang over the hippo enclosure. There was one male hippo out and a third CM there feeding him and answering our questions. I was on the very end so I took this picture showing everyone standing along the cliff:

Between my pictures and the ones our guides took, I think I have about twenty of the same hippo. Hereís are the best of my pictures:

And the best of the guides:

A little vulture was hanging out watching us. I wonder if he was hoping one of us would get eaten by the hippo so he could have a snack.

The guides also had each group pose and took our pictures with the hippo in the background:

We spent about 15 minutes with the Hippo and then headed back onto the trail again. Mom had me take a picture of the name of the trail so we would remember it. You can see the strap attaching my camera to my vest.

We also passed by the area with the female hippos. This picture is zoomed in a lot as we were pretty far above them.

Up Next: Scary Bridges, Crocodiles and Giraffes
Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #84
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Update to March Trip

I made a change to my Dining Plans for March already!

I was not happy with the lunch I had scheduled at the Rainforest Cafe. Not that I don't like the restaurant but it just isn't very "Disney" to me. Especially since there are locations in other cities. Plus, Flametree is one of my favorite counter services at Disney so I think I would have been bummed if I didn't eat there.

Yesterday, I did some menu browsing and one restaurant jumped out at me. I've never eaten here but there was at least four things on the menu that I will eat and that's saying a lot with as picky as I am. I've read mixed reviews but I always like to try something myself before forming an opinion. So, what is this restaurant?

It's The Plaza Restaurant in MK! I've got a 4:30 dinner scheduled there for my MK day. I think the time is going to work out perfectly as I will probably be eating an early lunch at BOG. And I want to catch the MSEP at 7 pm and Wishes at 8 pm so the earlier I eat dinner the better.

Last edited by Pluto0809; 01-10-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #85
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Yay for getting to Wild Africa Trek! I love seeing your pictures, as it reminds me how much I loved doing this last February. Looks like you had a great time so far. The Hippo pictures are great!

I've never eaten at the Plaza Restaurant, but I agree that with a place with mixed reviews that I prefer to form my own opinion. Sounds like a good change for your trip.

I thought 7 was supposed to be a lucky number?? A September TR
PhoenixStrength is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #86
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

What a great surprise for your mom! Thanks for taking and sharing all of those WAT pictures! I've never done the tour, so I didn't really know what kinds of things they did on it. It looks like a blast!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #87
katt789
DIS Veteran

So far it looks like the Trek was a blast! I've always really wanted to do one of the tours, any of them (mainly one of the MK ones) I really need to set some time aside for one next trip!!

You guys got some awesome pics so far, and experience some really cool stuff! Yay!!
katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #88
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto0809 View Post
Once I finished that, we came back around and got in line to get our vests fitted. Mom was ahead of me; here she is at the weigh in station getting her vest:

I don't think this is your Mom, Ariana... Is that her in the background??
oopsiDAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #89
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
Yay for getting to Wild Africa Trek! I love seeing your pictures, as it reminds me how much I loved doing this last February. Looks like you had a great time so far. The Hippo pictures are great!

I've never eaten at the Plaza Restaurant, but I agree that with a place with mixed reviews that I prefer to form my own opinion. Sounds like a good change for your trip.
We did have an awesome time on the trek so I understand! Thanks on the Hippo pictures.

I think the Plaza is going to be perfect for me since the food is more "simple". Maybe that's why some people don't like it? A sandwich and fries is what I like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
What a great surprise for your mom! Thanks for taking and sharing all of those WAT pictures! I've never done the tour, so I didn't really know what kinds of things they did on it. It looks like a blast!
The tour was a great time! There's two more installments coming up with even more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
So far it looks like the Trek was a blast! I've always really wanted to do one of the tours, any of them (mainly one of the MK ones) I really need to set some time aside for one next trip!!

You guys got some awesome pics so far, and experience some really cool stuff! Yay!!
You should really do some tours as often as you go! Of course I say that all the time and this is the first one I've actually done. The MK ones are definitely on my Disney bucket list. I think we are going to do the Epcot Segway one in October when i go with DH. He's not the biggest Disney fan but I think riding around on a Segway for a while will keep him entertained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiDAISY View Post
I don't think this is your Mom, Ariana... Is that her in the background??
I guess I should have explained that picture a little better! Yes, that's Mom in the background. She was at the weigh in station. The lady in front is getting fitted for her ear piece.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #90
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Scary Bridges, Crocodiles and Giraffes

After we finished with the Hippos, we reached the two big bridges. We had to climb up a set of steps in order to get on them. I have never been good with heights. I do fine if Iím strapped in and feel secure but donít ask me to climb a tree or ride a Ferris Wheel where my feet dangle. With that said, I had no problem with the bridges. I guess because I knew that Disney wouldnít build something that wasnít safe. I walked across them with my camera in one hand, holding on with the other. I did slip once and fall onto the netting but thatís what I get for trying to smile for the guide taking pictures and walk at the same time. She got a good laugh at me.

About the time we started across the bridges, the park opened and Safari trucks started passing by. I kept waving at people but they were too busy looking at the animals to notice us above them on the bridges.

They only let two people on the bridge at once. Mom went first and then I followed. Here are the pictures I took while crossing. In this one, Iím about a third of the way across the first bridge. If you look closely, youíll see Mom almost to the other side:

Looking straight down:

A few shots of the crocs that were below us:

The guides also took a lot of pictures of us on the bridges. Mom:

Me:

I love this photo that the guides took of the second bridge:

The two Stephanieís also posed for a picture as they were crossing the bridge (a third guide was in the Croc area and took this picture):

Once we crossed the second bridge, we had to wait near the crocodiles for everyone behind us to finish crossing. They had a place where you could refill your water bottle while you waited. While I was waiting, I took this picture of the bridges so you could see how far above the crocodiles we were. You can just see the back of a Croc in the lower left corner. The railing in the picture was where they attached you to hang over the edge.

Continued in Next Post

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: