Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #136
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

After stuffing ourselves with yummy breakfast food, we headed upstairs to see the Contemporary Christmas decorations and do some shopping. The Christmas Decorations were pretty underwhelming. I only took one picture of the Gingerbread Tree:

They were setting up the sweet shop and it was hard to get good pictures at that time.

We spent some time in the gift shop. Mom found a cute Address book and also a Minnie Mouse change purse. She didnít want to carry them around all day but you canít send back to the room from one resort to another. She was going to put them back but I said why donít we share a locker so I could put up my sweatshirt since it was so warm that day. I also reminded her that one of the stores we wanted to look at for kids sweatshirts was right inside the gates. If we found the one we were looking for, she could put that in the locker too. She bought her two items and then we headed up to the Monorail to go to the Grand Floridian.

Along the way I found the five legged goat in the Mural:

I also took some pictures from the Monorail platform. This wreath was huge!

I love how the entrance to this store is one big Mickey:

The Monorail came pretty quickly (we got the gold one) and we were on our way to GF.

I took some pictures along the way:

Grand Floridian DVC Construction (Iím sure these are very outdated by now!)

We skipped over the Polynesian and got off at GF. We went into M. Mouse Mercantile to look around before heading downstairs. I wanted this wreath that was in the window towards the back of the store:

Of course it wasnít for sale and I have no idea how I would get it home, it was pretty big! I was impressed at finding such an elaborate wreath hidden way in the back of the store. Disney sure knows how to do it right for Christmas!

We headed downstairs to check out the Gingerbread house and the GF Christmas tree.

It was too early and the store wasnít open but there was a PP Photographer so we got some shots with the tree:

We looked around at a few more stores at GF but didnít buy anything and then headed back to the Monorail. We got the silver one this time but I forgot to take a picture.

Up Next: Magic Kingdom and New Fantasyland time!
Pluto0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #137
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Sounds like a great morning! I was also underwhelmed by the decorations at the Contemporary.

Good pictures in front of the tree at GF!

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

PhoenixStrength is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #138
brandihead2012
<3er of all things Disney!

That bread pudding looks AMAZING! Love the pictures of you and your mom. I hope one day me and my mom can go again!!

Are you getting excited about your upcoming trip?!?! I leave the First of March, only 31 days away

Sparking up the Romance at WDW...March 2013 Trip Report for Lovers
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3009981&page=8

He finally said YES to Disney, a ptr for March 2013
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009981

998 picture, 10 pairs of Shoes 2 Girls.. completed TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post25194679
brandihead2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #139
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
Sounds like a great morning! I was also underwhelmed by the decorations at the Contemporary.

Good pictures in front of the tree at GF!
We did have a very nice, laid back morning!

Thanks! I was really happy to see a PP photographer there so early in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandihead2012 View Post
That bread pudding looks AMAZING! Love the pictures of you and your mom. I hope one day me and my mom can go again!!

Are you getting excited about your upcoming trip?!?! I leave the First of March, only 31 days away
Mom really loved the bread pudding except the raisins in it. Of course that was just because she doesn't like raisins. She was easily able to pick them out though.

Definitely get a Mom and Daughter trip in if you can, we had so much fun.

I am soooo excited about my upcoming trip, I leave on 2/28. I think I check the countdown on my phone two or three times a day! The only down side is that Mom is a little upset because she wants to go too. We are busy planning our family trip that will be in early 2014.

I need to hop over to your PTR to see if we cross paths at all. If you happen to see me come up and say hi!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #140
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

EEEEK! I fell so far behind! Three updates since I have posted any comments! Well, let me just start by following up on your visit to RR...

We didn't care for it either. We too were SO excited for this one. We actually went on our first night at Disney, before even visiting any parks. There was drama before we even got there (check my March 2012 TR to get the scoop on THAT story ). We didn't like the bread at all. We sort of liked the dip, but not enough to change how we felt about the bread. I ordered the Shephard's Pie and I didn't like it either. I do have to agree on the Lamb. DH ordered that and it was delicious! My oldest DD ordered the Sod the Stew and it too was so good. So if we ever DO go back, I will order one of those. I got the Bread Pudding. Just like your mom, I loved it but only ate a few bites. So hard to see so much go to waste! We were seated in the "music room" with a pole between us and the stage, but we were lucky enough for a few dancers to come all the way back to our section to give us a little side show. That was cool. Overall, RR was underwhelming for our family as well.
oopsiDAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #141
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiDAISY View Post
EEEEK! I fell so far behind! Three updates since I have posted any comments! Well, let me just start by following up on your visit to RR...

We didn't care for it either. We too were SO excited for this one. We actually went on our first night at Disney, before even visiting any parks. There was drama before we even got there (check my March 2012 TR to get the scoop on THAT story ). We didn't like the bread at all. We sort of liked the dip, but not enough to change how we felt about the bread. I ordered the Shephard's Pie and I didn't like it either. I do have to agree on the Lamb. DH ordered that and it was delicious! My oldest DD ordered the Sod the Stew and it too was so good. So if we ever DO go back, I will order one of those. I got the Bread Pudding. Just like your mom, I loved it but only ate a few bites. So hard to see so much go to waste! We were seated in the "music room" with a pole between us and the stage, but we were lucky enough for a few dancers to come all the way back to our section to give us a little side show. That was cool. Overall, RR was underwhelming for our family as well.
No problem, I totally understand why you were behind.

I did read your TR and remember your squirrel drama very vividly. As for RR, what a disappointment. It was one that I was most looking forward to because of the music and dancing.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #142
KatMark
DIS Veteran

You have been an updating machine! I'm trying to catch up after a week off the DIS with being sick and catching up at work.

I jotted down some notes so I wouldn't, hopefully, forget anything.

I love walking that trail at the AK and seeing the gorillas; you got some great pictures.

I can understand a small child being afraid of DeVine...she is rather big.

The photopass pics at the AK are great!

We have never done the bird show...not a fan of birds flying over my head (probably because of all the darn pigeons in Chicago!).

What a beautiful tree at the AK for Christmas (I hope to see it this year since we missed it last year).

I'm glad you got a chance to see OKW; we love it there and can't wait to be back "home" in August.

We really liked that tree at Fulton's too.

I'm so sorry you didn't like your meal at Raglan Road. We've eaten there two out of our last three years, and we really enjoyed our meal both times.

Aren't the GF decorations spectacular? I could have spent an hour just looking at that tree and the gingerbread house.

I wish the PP photographer had been there when we were to get some photos. Maybe this year.

We've never done the Wave...I've heard good things about it.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #143
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

All caught up!

I love your pictures of the tree of life! They are beautiful.

I'm sorry that you didn't like Raglan Road, I've never been but I've heard great things!

Breakfast at the wave looks delicious! I've only ever eaten lunch there. We also found that it wasn't busy.

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR*November 2014 - AKL Kidani Village for E's First Trip!

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #144
katt789
DIS Veteran

How awesome that the bus driver was able to just drop everyone off where they were going, thatís great!!

Oh man! Multigrain waffles? Sweet potato pancakes!? Sounds like a delicious buffet of yum! Haha, I would love to try them!

Man, I love the view from the monorail, like, being on the monorail is awesome enough as it is, but with that view itís just amazing!

The deluxe resorts have such amazing decorations, like, everything is so pretty and done up awesomely, so pretty! Iím excited to hear all about your MK day!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #145
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
You have been an updating machine! I'm trying to catch up after a week off the DIS with being sick and catching up at work.

Welcome back and very glad you are feeling better! I have been posting a lot but it's probably going to slow down some now. My slow time at work is over, I'm starting to get really busy now so it will be hard to find time to update as often.

I jotted down some notes so I wouldn't, hopefully, forget anything.

I love walking that trail at the AK and seeing the gorillas; you got some great pictures.

I could probably spend hours just watching the animals at AK

I can understand a small child being afraid of DeVine...she is rather big.

Yes she is! I found her slightly creepy myself.

The photopass pics at the AK are great!

Thanks! I love the growling one.

We have never done the bird show...not a fan of birds flying over my head (probably because of all the darn pigeons in Chicago!).

about the Pigeons. I have family in Chicago and visit once in a while. I don't remember seeing too many Pigeons, maybe I missed them.

What a beautiful tree at the AK for Christmas (I hope to see it this year since we missed it last year).

It was beautiful, one of my favorites but that's probably because I love animals so much.

I'm glad you got a chance to see OKW; we love it there and can't wait to be back "home" in August.

It was very beautiful! I would love to stay there someday. I don't think DVC would ever work for me since DH has no interest in going often. But maybe I could rent points there on a future trip.

We really liked that tree at Fulton's too.

That tree was really unique. I liked how different the decorations were at DTD.

I'm so sorry you didn't like your meal at Raglan Road. We've eaten there two out of our last three years, and we really enjoyed our meal both times.

I really wanted to like it! Maybe it was just an off day. I'll probably go back sometime but not for a few year.

Aren't the GF decorations spectacular? I could have spent an hour just looking at that tree and the gingerbread house.

Yes they were!

I wish the PP photographer had been there when we were to get some photos. Maybe this year.

Isn't that the great thing about Disney? Even if you miss something there's always a futre trip!

We've never done the Wave...I've heard good things about it.
It was very good. I'm not a huge fan of breakfast foods but there was a big enough variety that I found plenty to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
All caught up!

I love your pictures of the tree of life! They are beautiful.

I'm sorry that you didn't like Raglan Road, I've never been but I've heard great things!

Breakfast at the wave looks delicious! I've only ever eaten lunch there. We also found that it wasn't busy.
Thanks! I can never go to AK without taking lots of pictures of the tree. And every time I go I catch a new animal I didn't notice before.

I had read almost all great things about RR too. I felt bad because it was my pick and neither of us enjoyed it.

Breakfast was really good. You should give it a try sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
How awesome that the bus driver was able to just drop everyone off where they were going, thatís great!!

It was a great little bit of pixiedust!

Oh man! Multigrain waffles? Sweet potato pancakes!? Sounds like a delicious buffet of yum! Haha, I would love to try them!

It was yummy! As often as you go I'm sure you can fit it in sometime!

Man, I love the view from the monorail, like, being on the monorail is awesome enough as it is, but with that view itís just amazing!

Yep definitely amazing! The picture of the castle above the trees is one of my favorites from the trip. I think it makes the castle look so real since you can't see anything around it.

The deluxe resorts have such amazing decorations, like, everything is so pretty and done up awesomely, so pretty! Iím excited to hear all about your MK day!
They were very pretty!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #146
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Day 1 of February/March trip

I decided not to to a formal PTR for my February/March trip but I thought I would babble a bit about it on here. I'm trying not to plan too much but writing it down will help me organize my thoughts. There won't be any pictures, sorry! If they are boring, just skip these and wait for another TR update. I won't be offended.

I fly out 2/28 on an 8:55 am flight. I'm not exactly sure how I will get to the airport. I would like to drop my car at DH's work (he's halfway between home and the airport) and then have him take me the rest of the way. I get back on 3/5 around 2 pm so he could pick me up and then go back to work while I head home. I haven't talked to him yet because he is still a little upset about the trip. I don't think I mentioned it but he was most upset because I didn't invite him along. He would have never gone but I guess it was the principle! If he won't take me, I'll probably have to drive and pay for parking.

I land at MCO around 10:30 am. I plan to book it straight to the ME and get to ASMu as soon as possible. I would like to eat lunch no later than noon since I have an early ADR that night. If my room is available, I'll probably head there first and then have lunch at the resort. But if I'm early enough, I may head to Epcot for lunch at Sunshine Seasons. I love this food court but also want to be hungry for my dinner.

Once I'm at Epcot, I'll probably check the wait times app and if there are FPs still available for Soarin' I may grab one. Next I'll probably head straight to TT and get in the single rider line. I missed this one last time and am anxious to see the changes.

Depending on the time, I may give the Visa Picture Place another try. Maybe I'll get to see my Pluto this time. I doubt I'll bother getting the free 5 x 7 since I've already prepurchased the PP CD.

After that, I'll head into World Showcase for the afternoon. I have several goals this trip for WS.

1. Try more drinks. For sure I want to try the Fiesta Margarita in Mexico and have a glass of wine at the new Wine Bar in Italy. Any other suggestions for drinks? I can't drink beer but I love hard liquer drinks that are slightly sweet. I've already tried the Orange Slushy in France.
2. See more of the entertainment in World Showcase. I want to sit and watch Mo Rockin, Off Kilter and maybe the band in England (can't remember the name). Any other suggestions here?
3. See the movie in China. It's the only one I haven't seen.
4. Eat more snacks. I want to try the Mousse cake in Norway and a Napoleon in France. I don't like carmel so the shop in Germany is out.

I'll probably start in Mexico and make my way around and see what I can get done before my 5:30 ADR. I'm eating at Rose & Crown. I already know that I will be getting a Scotch Egg appetizer and Fish and Chips for my entree. Dessert will be something chocolate. I think there is a chocolate cake on the menu.

I'm not sure what I will do after dinner but I have three ideas in mind.
1. Hop to MK - This is the least likely option. As much as I want to see the castle, MK closes at 9 pm this night so I'd probably only have about an hour there. It just doesn't seem worth it to go.
2. Stay at Epcot - If I manage to get a later Soarin' FP this will probably be what I do.
3. Walk to the Boardwalk and catch a bus to DTD. I'm having trouble fitting DTD into my schedule so if I'm not to tired a few hours there on this night might be an option.

Well, I think that is all for Day 1. So much for not making plans! Thanks for listening to my ramblings.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #147
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I think the plans sound great. I can't help on the band in England (not a Beatles fan and they do a lot of that music).

You could always try the other slush in France -- the Grey Goose one (although I definitely prefer the Grand Mariner).

I'd skip the MK this night and save that; I like the idea of going to DTD if you aren't too tired.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #148
katt789
DIS Veteran

Yay for solo trip! And yay for plans!!

Weíll definitely be at Magic Kingdom during your MK day, we should definitely meet up! 2 TS meals in one day is a LOT, especially on the dining plan, Mom and I really only ate once a day with the TS meals!

On the day you fly in, weíll be at AK, then we have the Luau at the Poly that night, if we have time in between, maybe we could hop over to Epcot to have a drink?!

Getting excited yet? Hahah, Paige and I are freaking out, all we want is Disney now, weíve planned out all our outfits (a lot which are Disneybound outfits) and itís gonna be so great!!

As for Drinks, here's what I would reccommend:
-Fiesta Maragarita in Mexico
-Peach Snap (it's pretty sweet) or Green Tea Plum Slush in China
-Sangria in Italy
-Plum Wine in Japan
-Grand Marnier or Grey Goose Slush in France

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #149
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Sounds like a great first day!

I have never had any alcoholic drink at WDW, so I'm no help there! But I agree with Kathy to skip MK and either stay in Epcot if you haven't done all you wanted to, or head to DTD if you aren't tired.

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

PhoenixStrength is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #150
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I think the plans sound great. I can't help on the band in England (not a Beatles fan and they do a lot of that music).

You could always try the other slush in France -- the Grey Goose one (although I definitely prefer the Grand Mariner).

I'd skip the MK this night and save that; I like the idea of going to DTD if you aren't too tired.
I'm not sure if I will like the band in England either. I'll probably skip that one. I have stopped and listened to Off Kilter and Mo Rockin and like both of them. I've just never sat for an extended period to listen.

I took a sip of the lemon one that Mom had and I did like it. I'm thinking about that one. The Grand Mariner one was good but got a little too sweet for me towards the end.

I'm pretty sure I won't go to MK. Maybe if it was open later. I want to do DTD but I'm not sure my body will be up to it after being up early that morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
Yay for solo trip! And yay for plans!!

Weíll definitely be at Magic Kingdom during your MK day, we should definitely meet up! 2 TS meals in one day is a LOT, especially on the dining plan, Mom and I really only ate once a day with the TS meals!

Just text me when you get there and we'll figure a place to meet! I agree on the 2 TS meals in one day. In 2010 we got the Deluxe plan. I've never eaten so much food in my life! I gained weight that week despite all of the walking we did.

On the day you fly in, weíll be at AK, then we have the Luau at the Poly that night, if we have time in between, maybe we could hop over to Epcot to have a drink?!

We could definitely do that, just let me know if you make it there.

Getting excited yet? Hahah, Paige and I are freaking out, all we want is Disney now, weíve planned out all our outfits (a lot which are Disneybound outfits) and itís gonna be so great!!

I am soooo excited! It's wonderful to have these boards because no one in my day to day life understands. As for outfits, I just ordered three new shirts off of the Disney Store online. I hope they fit.

As for Drinks, here's what I would recommend:
-Fiesta Maragarita in Mexico
-Peach Snap (it's pretty sweet) or Green Tea Plum Slush in China
-Sangria in Italy
-Plum Wine in Japan
-Grand Marnier or Grey Goose Slush in France
Those all sound good to me except the Peach one. I had a very bad experience with Peach Schnapps in college and still can't drink anything peach to this day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
Sounds like a great first day!

I have never had any alcoholic drink at WDW, so I'm no help there! But I agree with Kathy to skip MK and either stay in Epcot if you haven't done all you wanted to, or head to DTD if you aren't tired.
I'm not much of a drinker so one or two will probably be my limit! I always think I can do more but once I get there it most likely won't happen.

I do hope I'm not too tired for DTD.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: