Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #31
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
Disagree. Most of the people I know who shop at yard sales, consignment shops, etc. are thrifty -- not needy. In my personal experience, they tend to be average or better in terms of finances.
Well I know plenty of needy people who shop at garage sales as well. Thankfully it is not something I have ever had to do just to get by but I do have family who have had two choices, shop Goodwill and garage sales or have nothing. The people who hold garage sales also commonly need the money.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #32
sookie
DIS Veteran

i thought i was a control freak! lol
once you give something away - you don't control what happens to it anymore op!
but i agree - i just donate stuff. to people you don't know.
if you have a problem with how someone takes care of something when you give it to them - i don't give them stuff anymore.

i have given people stuff and seen them misuse it, and if it bothers me (and yes, that HAS happened to me) - i just refuse to give them my stuff anymore.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #33
Ephany
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookie View Post
i thought i was a control freak! lol
once you give something away - you don't control what happens to it anymore op!
but i agree - i just donate stuff. to people you don't know.
if you have a problem with how someone takes care of something when you give it to them - i don't give them stuff anymore.

i have given people stuff and seen them misuse it, and if it bothers me (and yes, that HAS happened to me) - i just refuse to give them my stuff anymore.

I have 2 good friends who have daughters younger than DD. For years I passed on all of her gently worn clothes down to one friend because I knew when her daughter outgrew them, she'd pass them on with no conditions. My second friend was a bit upset that I never gave her anything but her kids treat their stuff like dirt and destroy everything they're given. After the first (and only) time DD shared an outgrown item with my second friend's child and it was utterly trashed within days, I said never again. I know I can't control what happens to an item once I've passed it on, so I only pass things on to people who will treat them properly and share them when finished in good faith.
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #34
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephany View Post

I have 2 good friends who have daughters younger than DD. For years I passed on all of her gently worn clothes down to one friend because I knew when her daughter outgrew them, she'd pass them on with no conditions. My second friend was a bit upset that I never gave her anything but her kids treat their stuff like dirt and destroy everything they're given. After the first (and only) time DD shared an outgrown item with my second friend's child and it was utterly trashed within days, I said never again. I know I can't control what happens to an item once I've passed it on, so I only pass things on to people who will treat them properly and share them when finished in good faith.
amen.

otherwise, you just have to donate to people you don't know. because the other option will only buy you a one way ticket to crazy town! especially if you are a person who keeps your clothing nice and clean / pristine.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #35
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
For the most part, the people who are buying clothes at garage sales are in need.
I had a lady that came to my garage sales every year and bought all of her DD's clothes for the next school year and she would get so excited. I would always set the nicer things aside because I knew her DD would love them. I donated to Goodwill a lot and they really mark up the prices. What I sold for .50 would be $5.00 at Goodwill.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #36
indimom
Are We There Yet?

I've given clothes to friends and family. I don't care what they do with it. Wear it, Trash it, sell it. Just don't bring it back to me. lol. I know one in particular has sold some of the items I gave her when her daughter's weren't interested in them. Not a problem to me.

I've held quite a few yard sales. Last one brought in $2,000 and none of the clothes were marked over $2. Good for me, Good for the people who wanted clothes, toys, whatever, on a budget.

I've given clothes to Goodwill, Coat Drives, etc.

And since it came up. I've also bought clothes at yard sales, Goodwill, and consignment shops. I'm not needy, I'm just open to a deal and enjoy the hunt. If I can't find clothes cheaper, I also like to shop at your standard stores: Pennys, Macys, TJ Maxx, Old Navy, etc...

OP, if it really bugs you that they don't pass it on, just give the clothes to charity (at least then you won't know what happens to them). But if you want to help them out, I'd try to just stop worrying about what happens to the clothes when they are done with them. I guess it really depends on which of these issues is more important to you.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #37
sayheyrenee
Mouseketeer

I take tons of hand me downs for my daughter, I also buy at 2nd Avenue, Good will and Salvation Army. I resell some used clothing on eBay (the name brand stuff) to be able to afford to reshop at those second hand stores in order to continue to be a SAHM.

No one who has hand me downed has expected anything once they were gifted to me.
sayheyrenee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #38
Mom2Ben02
Our little souvenir from WDW was baby #2! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyrenee
I take tons of hand me downs for my daughter, I also buy at 2nd Avenue, Good will and Salvation Army. I resell some used clothing on eBay (the name brand stuff) to be able to afford to reshop at those second hand stores in order to continue to be a SAHM.

No one who has hand me downed has expected anything once they were gifted to me.
Exactly.

I buy 95% of my kids' clothing used. We give away things that are not resale worthy. They may not be perfect, but my friends can let their kids wear an outfit that already shows wear to play outside.

Nice, name brand things get sold, and the money recycled into new clothes. So, one outfit helps three people reach a goal...someone gets a deal on a nice outfit, someone makes money on selling their old clothes, and I get "free" clothes. Win, win, win.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #39
jenlynn0808
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
My personal favorite on this topic is people who have their used clothes out at garage sales trying to get a buck or 50 cents for a piece of clothing. I am like you OP, and don't understand it. It is much better to see the clothing go to a family in need. There are plenty out there who need help. We donate all of our clothing. (except stained of course!!)
While everyone is mentioning that the person buying it might need it at the lower price, I'd like to offer the reverse situation.

We always donate the items we no longer can use or need. However this year, DH was downsized and we were told he wasn't eligible for unemployment. We used all our savings, the credit cards <shudders>, and all of our tax return to survive and pay our bills on time & the $1500+ unexpected car repair. He has gone back to work, but we wiped out everything while he was looking and put ourselves in debt-not something we are happy or proud of, but the alternative of paying late bills and defaulting on a mortgage wasn't an option to us. There was no extra anything and lots of spaghetti dinners.

So instead of donating all of our items, I've been selling them on a local Mom-to Mom site (think of it like an online yard sale). The money I have made has paid for all the Christmas gifts (my kids and the 6 nieces and nephews I had to cover) plus a few extras that haven't been in the budget lately (like Thanksgiving dinner).

Every month around here is tight, the new job was a pay-cut, but we are just thankful he is working again. Unless we can pay cash, we go without and every cent is going to pay off the cc bills we accumulated while DH was looking for a new job. So if selling the clothes my kids have outgrown rather than donating them for the time being is what I have to do to give my kids a nice Christmas after the crummy year they have had, then that is what I'm going to do.

I've been gobbled by ADisneygirl!
jenlynn0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #40
ban26ana
Mouseketeer

I don't understand why some people care so much about what others do. Once you give a gift, it's theirs to do as they please. Technically, if you give me baby clothes, I could set them on fire.

And to complain about people selling clothes at a garage sale? Um, again. The clothes belong to them.

I have been through heck and back financially. I'm just now getting back on my feet. I would go to Goodwill and put back a $3 shirt for myself because it was too expensive. Yard sales were absolute lifesavers. I went to one where you could fill a Walmart bag with clothes for $3. I broke down and cried, because I could have a wardrobe for my kids.

Thankfully we're back on our feet from the huge pay cut my dh had to take. I'm still a bargain hunter though. I know a job loss could put us right back in the same position, so I save money wherever I can. If I can pay $0.50 for a shirt instead of $5, you bet your bippy I'm buying the $0.50 one.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #41
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlea98 View Post
Sadly, here, I'm finding that people are buying good 'brand name' stuff at garage sales really cheap and on selling on eBay or whatever for a profit I prefer to donate but each to their own.
Good for them. How in the world does someone working (and selling on ebay does take work) to improve their situation merit a ?? They're buying from a garage sale--what they do with their purchase is their own business, whether it be to clothe their own kids or make some extra cash to cover rent or other expenses.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #42
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Let it go. Once you give the stuff away, it's not yours to control.

Some people donate, some people do not. It's not your decision to make for other people.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #43
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLove View Post
So, maybe this is more of a vent. When I don't want clothing anymore, I just donate it. If its something that will fit someone in my family and they want it, its packed up and given to them. Now, I've been noticing once these items no longer fit my younger cousins, its kept in storage. For years....... They have bags and boxes with dozens of jeans, dozens of shirts, coats, some formal dresses, etc.

I guess it just bugs me because the clothing is in good shape and could go to a new family. Especially the formal dresses. Their idea is that since its name brand stuff and expensive they feel bad donating it. UGH come on. Do you have people in your family like this? I know its no longer my stuff. Still I did say to please donate it once you're finished with it. I've started to just not ask if they want something and just donating it. Its the same thing when I donate food to the food bank. If they see the bags hanging around my house waiting for donation time they try to claim it.
OP, once you give someone the clothes, you really can't dictate what they do with it. If it bothers you that they don't donate it after use, then just don't give them the items any more and donate it yourself.

But the way I look at it is that at least you know that your stuff got used by at least one family. If you directly donate it, you have no idea what happens to your stuff. Are you going to monitor the people who buy your things from Goodwill and make sure they donate it again when they are done? I mean, how do you know that one of your donated formal dresses doesn't become a Zombie Homecoming Queen costume and get all ripped up and fake blood added to it????

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #44
AndreaDM
Yeah...we mainly colored that day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlea98 View Post
Sadly, here, I'm finding that people are buying good 'brand name' stuff at garage sales really cheap and on selling on eBay or whatever for a profit I prefer to donate but each to their own.
So what?? There's no stipulation on what you have to do with garage sale purchases.
AndreaDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #45
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaluvPluto View Post
They do hire disabled workers and give them a very low wage, some make as low as .22. While the CEO makes a little more than half a million.
They don't just hire disabled workers, they educate them so that they can move on to other careers. Not sure where the .22 number is coming from, but $500,000 is not out of line for the CEO of a nonprofit that size.

Plus, Goodwill has to pay to dispose of all the stuff people 'donate' that is really just trash.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: