Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

We were planning on having a Cookies and Coco party for Christmas for some of our friends and their kids. The original plan was have in 6:30-8:30 with a visit from Santa from 7:30-8:30. We were just having desserts and soft pretzels shaped like candy canes and coffee, milk, hot chocolate.

Well Santa is busy so we had to rearrange the party. He is now coming from 5:30-6:30. I was thinking of having people arrive at 5. All of the kids that are coming are 3-4 years old. The first 20 mins they will all run around and be crazy, then Santa is going to read a story and each kid gets to talk to him etc. while the kids are visiting with Santa I'm going to have a craft table set up for them the make picture frames while they wait.

So my question is, is it okay to not have dinner? I was just going to make a bunch of easy to eat appetizers and dessert/cookies. The kids are always way too excited to eat and I don't want to have them too early so that they are already going nuts before Santa gets here. My friend thinks it is wrong I'm not having dinner. I really don't see the time for it, plus the kids won't sit and eat but are more likely to grab and go. Would it bother you if you came over from 5-7 and didn't have "dinner"?

Last edited by shinysparklybubbles; 12-10-2012 at 08:35 AM.
shinysparklybubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysparklybubbles View Post
We were planning on having a Cookies and Coco party for Christmas for some of our friends and their kids. The original plan was have in 6:30-8:30 with a visit from Santa from 7:30-8:30. We were just having desserts and soft pretzels shaped like candy canes and coffee, milk, hot chocolate.

Well Santa is busy so we had to rearrange the party. He is now coming from 5:30-6:30
We are doing something similar (no Santa though, we are decorating gingerbread houses) Everyone is bringing an appetizer to share, and we are eating appetizers for dinner!
I'm going to have cookies and a hot chocolate bar too.
Other easy dinners for a crowd are a potato bar (baked potatoes, lots of toppings), taco salad, a few varieties of soup and rolls, and pasta with different varieties of sauce to choose from.
monkeybug is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

What's your question?

From reading your post, my first thought is that you're moving into the dinner hour and maybe something more than or in addition to cookies would be better, even if it's just some light finger foods.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluvsdisney
What's your question?

From reading your post, my first thought is that you're moving into the dinner hour and maybe something more than or in addition to cookies would be better, even if it's just some light finger foods.
I hit post too soon. It should make more sense now that I finished lol.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

Now that I see the rest of your question, no I don't think it's wrong! Provide some savory appetizers and let your friends know that is what is being served. My friends and I came up with the appetizer idea for our party for the exact reason you described, this is a party for the kids, and that's what they would prefer. If someone is against it then they can eat before heading over.
monkeybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

I think it's fine not to have 'dinner' per se, so long as your apps are plentiful and you can make a dinner out of them if you're hungry. Since there will be lots of kiddos, if it were me I'd be sure to have things like pigs in a blanket, sweet and sour meatballs, cheese and crackers.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Heavy apps. is fine for what you're doing. If you feel better about it, just let the parents know it will be heavy apps and not a meal.

Frankly, I love that kind of arty where there are several different appetizers to try...pigs in a blanket, meatballs, you could even do little pre-made sandwiches on small dinner rolls....chcken salad, tuna salad, roast beef & cheddar, maybe an all-veggie one. Chips & dip...would make me a happy girl!
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
DebD4T
I cannot sleep in an unmade bed. If for some reason my bed is not made, I have to make it before I get into it to go to sleep
My money must all face the same way in order of denomination
Lik

It wouldn't bother me at all.

If you are worried, how about ordering a few pizzas? Ask the pizzeria to slice the pie into 16 slices instead of 8. That will make for less waste with regards to the kiddies.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Yes, if these are preschoolers, at this type of a party, I am not sure it would be a good idea to think that they will sit an eat 'dinner'.

There are plenty of heavier and non-sweet appetizers that could be served to make sure that they are being fed!!! mini-sandwiches, pigs in a blanket, pizza rolls, meatballs and small dinner rolls, etc... Might even be able to through a few fruits and veggies in there somewhere...

edited to add: Hey DD, I see that we are just posting almost the same thing!!!!
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

I think as long as you are "heavy" on the apps it's okay. Personally, if I was having a party at that hour, I would want to serve something dinner-ish. Maybe meatballs in the crockpot, mini cocktail hotdogs etc. I like the idea of ordering pizza, or a deli platter that way there is no confusion. That's just me though, I would love to have apps for dinner, but some folks may expect more since it's a 5:00 party.

I also think it's a good idea to let people know you wont be having dinner (if you don't do the pizza or deli tray) just so those who want to can feed their kids before. The kids will be so excited for Santa they probably won't eat anyway!
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

I think you'll be fine with hot appetizers. This time of the year, people have so many things going on that open houses like this, folks are in and out quickly and off to the next event.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Well Santa is busy so we had to rearrange the party. He is now coming from 5:30-6:30. I was thinking of having people arrive at 5. All of the kids that are coming are 3-4 years old. The first 20 mins they will all run around and be crazy, then Santa is going to read a story and each kid gets to talk to him etc. while the kids are visiting with Santa I'm going to have a craft table set up for them the make picture frames while they wait.

So my question is, is it okay to not have dinner? I was just going to make a bunch of easy to eat appetizers and dessert/cookies. The kids are always way too excited to eat and I don't want to have them too early so that they are already going nuts before Santa gets here. My friend thinks it is wrong I'm not having dinner. I really don't see the time for it, plus the kids won't sit and eat but are more likely to grab and go. Would it bother you if you came over from 5-7 and didn't have "dinner"?
From 5-7, I would assume that there would be 'dinner' or some sort. Believe me, you do NOT want a bunch of 3-4 years olds running around at that time of day all hyped up about Santa if you are only feeding them deserts and light apps. It seems like a recipe for melt downs to me.

I would at least put out some sandwiches, pizza or hot dogs.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Just put out some pigs in a blanket and pizza bagels, and it's a meal for a preschooler. Kids that age eat about 3 bites per meal anyway.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
Heavy apps. is fine for what you're doing. If you feel better about it, just let the parents know it will be heavy apps and not a meal.

Frankly, I love that kind of arty where there are several different appetizers to try...pigs in a blanket, meatballs, you could even do little pre-made sandwiches on small dinner rolls....chcken salad, tuna salad, roast beef & cheddar, maybe an all-veggie one. Chips & dip...would make me a happy girl!
I totally agree! I'd rather have heavy apps than an actual dinner. deli & cheese slices is good, or premade sandwiches. Fruit or veg tray, or both. you get the idea.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I'm not one for "everything has to be proper etiquette" so I say no, you don't HAVE to have dinner.

I would let everyone know there will be "refreshments" and that will imply there will be no dinner.

As long as you're upfront about what the party entails then you're good!
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: