Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Canon Refurbished DSLR

I posted this on the Community Board and then remembered that there is a photo board.

Has anyone ever purchased a refurbished DSLR directly from Canon? My daughter is taking photo I this year (film) and will be taking photo II (digital) next year. Not sure how serious she is about this so I'm not sure if I want to spend the money to purchase a new camera.

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

I've not done it but I wouldn't hesitate to do so. I know many people who have gotten great deals and been very satisfied buying refurbished equipment directly from Canon. Also check into their loyalty program, it may save you some additional cash. You have to call Canon directly for it.

If you don't know which camera to get then I'd get a 35mm Canon EOS SLR first (if you're set on Canon and you don't already have one). Get the body and a nice lens. Then when she moves to photo II you can trade that body in with the loyalty program. You'll be able to keep the nice lens you purchased and use it on the DSLR.

If we all agreed all the time the world would be an awfully boring place. I'm here to make it interesting!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

If they back it up with a warranty, why not.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
mtdewlarissa
Earning My Ears

i have a refurb 7d i have had no problems had it over a year. the t3i or t2i are good starter cameras.
mtdewlarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

i bought a rebel T2i DSLR and zoom lens from canon through the canon loyalty program just a few weeks ago, and, although i still have a LOT to learn, i LOVE my new camera!

i did find, however, that the black friday deals on the rebel T3i were better than what i got through canon. i could've saved about $80, and also gotten a case and memory card.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

My first real DSLR was a Canon refurb....no issues still.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
PrincessKsMom

I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Thank you for your input. I was actually thinking about a t3i for her. Probably won't purchase until the new year but thought I'd start asking now.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Bstanley
DisNoid

While I haven't purchased a refurbed Canon DSLR I have purchased two Canon refurbed point n' shoots and a refurbed Canon 17-55mm f2.8 lens.

All are still working fine (1 to 3 years old).

I actually purchased the 17-55mm lens from Adorama - the advantage they offer is that their waarranty is 1 year wile Canon's warranty is only 90 days on refurbs.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
PrincessKsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstanley View Post
While I haven't purchased a refurbed Canon DSLR I have purchased two Canon refurbed point n' shoots and a refurbed Canon 17-55mm f2.8 lens.

All are still working fine (1 to 3 years old).

I actually purchased the 17-55mm lens from Adorama - the advantage they offer is that their waarranty is 1 year wile Canon's warranty is only 90 days on refurbs.
Didn't know that! Thanks.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
wbeem
DIS Veteran

I just purchased a refurbished Nikon D800 from Adorama and saved $500. It came with only a 90 day warranty instead of the usual 1 year warranty from Nikon. However, I purchased a 3rd party warranty for three years at a cost just under $65. On top of that, I purchased with my AMEX card and they provide an additional year of warranty support over the one that comes with your purchase.

The camera just arrived yesterday and everything seems in working order, though I haven't taken it out for any shots yet.

According to the guy at Adorama, refurbished cameras are typically units that vendors use at trade shows or similar events. Nikon doesn't really say, but I don't think you have to worry about getting something that's been worn-out used and then freshened up a bit. I've bought other refurbished products (like Macs) and never had any issues with them.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #11
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Hope PK enjoys the photography!!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

At last as far as Canons go, there is a difference between the refurbished cameras you get at places like Adorama and the ones you get directly from Canon. The ones from Canon are often ones that have been sent in for service and they just sent a new camera out. Canon repairs, tests and inspects them (more testing than what a new camera gets) and then sells them. The ones at the stores that are refurbished tend to be ones that the store has refurb'd in their facility. I'm not saying one is better than the other here, just that there can be a difference.

If we all agreed all the time the world would be an awfully boring place. I'm here to make it interesting!

Last edited by photo_chick; 12-12-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: to correct my horrific grammar
photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
PrincessKsMom

Hi PiO and thanks!

Photo Chick, I was wondering about that. Kind of like buying a preowned car from a dealer as opposed to a dealership who deals in many different cars, but I will have to consider the warranties. Thanks for pointing that out though!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
Frantasmic
*crickets*
I just tell everyone I'm the CPIC for the day

Check www.woot.com for a while. They have been offering Canon T3, T3i, T2i new cameras at pretty good deals about every 10 days to two weeks since Halloween.
Frantasmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
PrincessKsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantasmic View Post
Check www.woot.com for a while. They have been offering Canon T3, T3i, T2i new cameras at pretty good deals about every 10 days to two weeks since Halloween.
Wow. Thanks!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: