Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Butterbunkins
Mouseketeer

Back from our first trip at the Fort

......And we loved it!

We only stayed two nights. DH and I were arriving a few days earlier than the rest of our group so we decided to tent camp at the Fort. We were driving and camping on our way down so we were going to have all our gear anyway.

Originally our plan was to camp a few nights and spend one night with family in TN on our way down and we expected to arrive about 8:00-9:00 at night. Due to a death in the family our departure got delayed. We literally left right after the funeral to be able to make our reservation and made our stops on the way home instead of on the way there. So we were just going to stop overnight when we got tired. DH pushed us to just south of Atlanta, but we then arrived about 3:00pm the next day instead of at night.

Our campsite was ready and we were not supposed to pick up our golf cart till the next day. Since we were getting in so late we weren't going to bother with it for that first night. Since we got in much earlier I checked to see if we could add a day. It was no problem. I was so glad we had the cart. It made getting around so easy and we didn't waste time waiting for buses. We didn't go to any parks while we were at the Fort and just wanted to take advantage of what they had to offer. The only thing is our battery wouldn't charge. It was no big deal for our short stay, but if we were going to be there longer we would have had to trade for another cart. I told the CS upon return and he didn't seem surprised.

We were in the 2000 loop. Our site was plenty big and we were not far from a Comfort Station. We were however at the opposite end of the entrance of the loop and it would have made for a long(ish) walk if we didn't have the cart. It we were at the parks all day it would have been an exhausting walk. But with the cart it was no problem.

We took advice from other posters about getting lights for the site because it might be really dark at night. We just got three strands of Christmas lights (red, white and blue) to use. There was really nowhere to hang the lights DH just lined the ground on the three outer sides of the site. We didn't think the lights were necessary, but our site was super easy to find and it gave some ambiance.

Our site was really clean, as were all the bathrooms we used. I was very impressed with how clean the shower was. The only problem I had was with the toilets in the CS closest to our site. They were apparently designed for giants. Granted I'm short (5'0) but these were ridiculous. I practically had to hop up, my legs dangled and the seats were curved so they dug painfully into the back my thighs. No other toilet that I used, including the other CS in our loop was like this. Once when I was there all alone I checked every stall to see if they were all the same and they were. I have no idea what happened here, but I felt bad for all the kids using our CS.

Every CM we encountered was incredibly nice. A few in the gift shops were incredibly friendly and helpful!

We ate at Trails End, Meadows Snack Bar, Crocketts Tavern and got snacks from the Chuck Wagon. All the food was average but good except for the pizza. I know I'm not going to find great pizza at Disney but this was the worst we have ever had. Neither of us could even finish one piece and we gave the rest away.

We took the boat a few times to the Wilderness Lodge. The boat was fun and we never waited long. Other than that we did not use Disney transportation so I have nothing else to add.

We did the campfire and it was a blast! Since we were there for our anniversary they called us up and I conned DH into joining for the Hokey Pokey which he banned at our wedding. We also watched the MK fireworks and the music and narrative that they piped in was actually much clearer than when we in MK later in the week. The view of the fireworks was great! And we also say the Electrical Water Pageant for the first time ever and that was really fun to watch.

All and all we loved our experience at the Fort and we can't wait to go back and spend more time. I would recommend it to anyone who likes to camp. Even if we rest from an outside company next time, we will definitely always have a cart. I will request the 1500 loop next time but if we can't get it we will be just fine staying in 2000 again, but I will try to be closer to the other CS. But wherever we end up I can't wait to go back!
1986 - offsite, 1988 - offsite, 1989 - DL, 1992 - BC, 1994 - offsite, 1997 - offsite, 1998 - PO (DL), 1999 - CS, 1999 - Cast Member, 2002 - BCV, 2003 - DL, 2004 - CB, 2008 - BWV, 2010 (Honeymoon) - BWV

Next trip: Nov. 2012 FW (tent) for 2 nights then BWV for 7 nights

Mr. and Mrs. Butterbunkins
Butterbunkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Great TR. Sorry about the dangling feet. Sounds like you're hooked like the rest of us on The Fort.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
articfox676
Mouseketeer

Wink

It is always heart warmer to see new camper join the Fort. Those of us who camp here loved to have new members join us.
articfox676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Barney Fife
Mouseketeer

You mean to tell me they're still serving the same pizza everyone's been complaining about for years? We haven't had that pizza since 2008 and it still has a bad taste in my mouth. Tastes like the cardboard was left inside it or something.

Glad you had a good time.
Barney Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
RoyalMom
Mouseketeer

So glad you had fun! I can't wait to get home again - the first thing we're going to do is head for the Settlement to grab some vittles and have a rock on the porch while the kids play horseshoes...

DH Me DD8 DD6 DS3
RoyalMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: